X-Edit: Reassigning Equipment Slots in Skyrim LE/SE (Feat: NifSkope)

Pork Type

Copy/pasted from the Skyrim LE General Discussion board. Linkback ->

Inspired by KoolHndLuke, I'm making a visually assisted tutorial on how to swap equipment slots for apparel in Skyrim LE/SE.

Because pictures speak thousands of words, as the old saying goes. XEdit and NifSkope are actually simple tools.

For this tutorial, I'll be reassigning a one piece micro from the "Mini Bikini" mod here on LoversLab...

...from the body armor/clothing slot (32) to something else of my choosing.

(Hey! That's my own girl in the thumbnail. But I digress.)

OK. Open up whichever version of XEdit for your version of Skyrim. By default, it pre-selects everything. That's OK (necessary) for stuff such as what Luke made his tutorial about. This tutorial is about specific edits to specific mods, so do a CTRL-A and mass deselect. Undo your CTRL-A, scroll down the list and specifically select the .esp you wish to modify.

OK. If you're me, you've check boxed "MiniBikini.esp."

Now, open that up. You'll see a selection of sub-entries. The one you want right now is called, "Armor Addon."

Inside of that, select the outfit you wish to modify. In this tutorial's case, it's aaaMB5AA, which sounds a bit cryptic, but it's Mini Bikini style 5.

Screenie #1.

xedit-1.jpg.fd68451c152c55785c0219de1badcd20.jpg

You see what I have highlighted -- First Person Flags (Sorted). Currently it's set to Slot 32 (Body), 34 (Forerarms), and 38 (Calves). Now, I'm not sure why a bikini mod involves forearms and calves, but we'll get to the why and how of this very shortly.

For the purposes of this tutorial -- and my own gameplay -- we're going to take this article of apparel, and assign it to a slot other than 32 (the standard slot for any article of bodily clothing, or a cuirass, in the case of armor.)

I'm going to reassign it to 52. Not that arbitrary, really! 52 is (un?)officially the "Pelvis Secondary" slot. In other words, Underwear. And, Here we go.

Screenie #2.

xedit-2.jpg.6eff2a92af87c0e8dec84f3c9c88edb7.jpg

32, 34 and 38 are now gone. I edited that field (by right clicking and choosing, "edit") and inserted my own stuff: Slots 50, 52 and 54.

Now, 52 is the actual slot I wish to be occupied by the garment I'm modifying. So, what gives with 50 and 54? 50 and 54 are the slots that I populate with my genital and nipple jewelry, respectively. By populating this field with those extra slot numbers, I'm ensuring that they'll be occluded/rendered invisible while the garment is worn. That's how multiple entries within this field work.

Moving on. We need to edit one more field in XEdit, in the "Armor" section. We need to set one more thing from 32, to 52.

Screenie #3.

xedit-3.jpg.1942185f16fa6fc23db8f77b9cef0622.jpg

That's it for XEdit. Exit the app; it'll prompt you to save your changes/make a backup. Do so. Now, we need to make some modifications to the associated meshes, using NifSkope.

Open up NifSkope. You need to locate the associated meshes. They'll be within your Skyrim(SE)\Data\Meshes folders if you're not running MO. They'll be within \Users\$Username\AppData\... if you are; reference the file path contained within my remaining screenshots if you're an MO user and not sure where to go.

OK, I assume that you've found the corresponding meshes. There are 2 of them;  _0.nif and  _1.nif. These correspond to 0 weight, and 100 weight, respectively. You'll need to edit both.

First thing you need to do, since this is formerly a body slot garment, is delete the body portion of the mesh. You do this by right clicking on the body portion, causing a menu to appear. You want to navigate to Block -> Remove Branch.

Screenie #4.

nif-1.jpg.07f41f8d22d2fe90648a681200d74442.jpg

Get rid of the body mesh, leaving only the garment. There may be multiple components of the garment, but for tutorial purposes, I've chosen a garment that has only one component.

Click on that component. Now, focus your attention upon the upper left pane within NifSkope and locate the highlighted "BSTriShape." Double click on it to reveal a number of other entries, including "BSDismemberSkinInstance." Click on that, and focus your attention upon the lower left pane. Find "Partitions." Double click some more. What you're looking for, is a "Body Part" entry.

Screenie #5.

nif-2.jpg.c2e814c57cabbfe685319423cbddaf8a.jpg

Double click on that. It should open up a drop down menu. Scroll to the desired value (in our case, 52) and select it.

Screenie #6.

nif-3.jpg.9cd85e6a81b9316f1388a08609576763.jpg

Now, do the same for the other mesh, as mentioned above.

Well, I hope this helps! As a casual modder, this stumped me for a while until I managed to break through the technical terms and figure out what needed to be done.

• Ashal unpinned this topic

Archived