A possibility to see more genders ?

Galactakiller

I mean, I don't obviously mind seeing the two regular genders, but like I'm trying to have several, different Draconis ... and of them needs to be genderless
Though, like I've the lewd mods, being naked will either show a cock or breasts !

So here's a question and a mod idea : making a "genderless" trait for most of the race supports here (but most importantly the Draconis Half-Breed ^^" ... or not if the bodies are the same)

On 8/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, Galactakiller said:

I mean, I don't obviously mind seeing the two regular genders, but like I'm trying to have several, different Draconis ... and of them needs to be genderless
Though, like I've the lewd mods, being naked will either show a cock or breasts !

So here's a question and a mod idea : making a "genderless" trait for most of the race supports here (but most importantly the Draconis Half-Breed ^^" ... or not if the bodies are the same)

Sometimes you skimmed over, and the main reason more genders aren't added to Starbound, is pretty simple. Its either a convoluted, complex method that can be done post character creation and will brick the character should the mod be removed, or, simply impossible.

As is, Starbound Character creation's menu, albeit, moddable, doesn't seem to support more than 2 genders, and requires at least 2 genders, so the "possibilities" on that front are in of themselves, awfully limited. Nobody would create a CC menu with the sole intent of multi-gendered supports, and it'd have to be one hell of a good mod to account for barely any races having more or less then 2 genders.

But then there's the more sensible yet still complicated approach, of changing a value using modded items long after character creation: This method is much more convoluted than making previously mentioned UI, at least IMO, and would take much longer to make work; making items that change values and include scripts on your character to account for these "gender variants", both in-game normally and in SxB.

Albeit something people have honestly asked for a while, though nowhere near as specific as this one, its not something easily done, and definitely would require 4x more work from all species support creators on the long run, but still, doable if any one person or group decided to dedicate enough brain-power to work on it.

Can confirm that adding more genders to SB is an impossible pain in the ass. I made my own external character creation app just so it'd be user-friendlier with dropdown boxes and such, but even with that it'd be the nearest thing to impossible to add a new gender. Which is why said application only supports the two.

For gits and shiggles I added a third button to the game's own CC (I did make Xbawks after all), cleared out the vanilla species list, and added a third gender to the felin to see what would happen. Naming the third one "blessed" (canon) QTD'd me saying "Key 'blessed' not found in Map::get()". Without, of course, saying where it couldn't find such, as this particular error always does. Which means effectively that this third gender is now just another "male" with a (for testing purposes) highly reduced amount of hair choices.

Only doing the CC part of the above yields a dead button.

not_exactly_it.png

16 hours ago, red3dred said:

Sometimes you skimmed over, and the main reason more genders aren't added to Starbound, is pretty simple. Its either a convoluted, complex method that can be done post character creation and will brick the character should the mod be removed, or, simply impossible.

So ... it'll be impossible for me to do this genderless character, except if I do this hard manip you explained ?

Well ... I don't know how I'll be able to rethink it ! But thanks for explaining me

52 minutes ago, Galactakiller said:

So ... it'll be impossible for me to do this genderless character, except if I do this hard manip you explained ?

Well ... I don't know how I'll be able to rethink it ! But thanks for explaining me

Second method is rather possible, but still a pain. Ask the creator of the Lucario Race how he made clothing that switches appearance based on sub-kind of the same species, and you'll have a way to mess with clothing and character sprites without having to add extra genders.

Then add that check to SxB upon actor setup and boom.

Really, its not as simple as it may sound, but yeah, its overall, a pain in the ass setup for a simple feature.

On 8/10/2019 at 6:22 PM, red3dred said:

Second method is rather possible, but still a pain. Ask the creator of the Lucario Race how he made clothing that switches appearance based on sub-kind of the same species, and you'll have a way to mess with clothing and character sprites without having to add extra genders.

Then add that check to SxB upon actor setup and boom.

Really, its not as simple as it may sound, but yeah, its overall, a pain in the ass setup for a simple feature.

Oh well, it's okay : I'll not bother the Lucario Race creator for only one Elemental Draconis !
I'll try to, like you said, mess with clothing and some lore on them for that (I already have some ideas)

Still want to thank you though

Archived