Stadia is coming November 2019

It's just an extension of what Steam already does. You may have a hard copy of Skyrim but it's just a cup coaster unless you hook into Steam.

Hey, think of the planet. How much less plastic waste and whatnot will there be.

People on this site make me piss. Anything gaming related and they come over all right-on,  self-righteous indignation. Meanwhile big agriculture pollutes your land, water and food; big pharma either sells you chemicals to offset the aforementioned pollution or just for the sake of selling shit; et fucking cetera; et fucking cetera.

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

It's just an extension of what Steam already does. You may have a hard copy of Skyrim but it's just a cup coaster unless you hook into Steam.

Hey, think of the planet. How much less plastic waste and whatnot will there be.

People on this site make me piss. Anything gaming related and they come over all right-on,  self-righteous indignation. Meanwhile big agriculture pollutes your land, water and food; big pharma either sells you chemicals to offset the aforementioned pollution or just for the sake of selling shit; et fucking cetera; et fucking cetera.

You obviously have no idea how bad the gaming industry has become. Some excerpts:

- Crunch and employees getting worked to their bones up to depression, suicidal thoughts and loss of family and loved ones due to lack of time.

- Next to minimum wages for quality testers leading to bug-ridden games, unhappy employees and (again) the above.

- Abusive business tactics harming children and introducing children to gambling, gambling addictions and sexuality way too soon without proper control and help from governments who are lobbied to death by EA and the likes.

- Families in jeopardy because of their children accidentally emptying their banc accounts. (To anyone who thinks this is the parents faults please watch some Jim Sterling videos where he explains why its not and why children dont understand what they are doing when paying hundreds of dollars in games)

- Multi million dollar CEOs firing hundreds of employees instead of taking a 0.1% paycut which would totally support the losses. Employees end up not finding new job. Lives get destroyed.

- Lying fake influencers directly affecting new generation of gamers, sucking them in into the dangerous social circle that is twitch, (for example Fortnite). There are already numerous reports of bullying at schools that happen to children who are not part of this or miss out on premium (paid) items.

- Pressure and punishment in the business. Any employee who speaks out against any of these shitty tactics will basically never find a job again in this line of work (and probably in many others too). Everyone is afraid, overworked, underpaid and has only two choices: swallow it or change job completely.

- Destruction of art and culture. Games are a kind of art and culture. Games as a service prevent creativity and art in gaming to survive. Always online games will never survive over long time and will never end up being played in (for example) 5 years. We still can play the first super mario to this date because it was preserved. And it should be. Games as a service and streaming services such as Stadia will complete get rid of this. Once Google shuts a game down, its gone.

- Gaming gets shittier and shittier. A great hobby and a very important part of my life is getting destroyed leaving me with one less thing that helps me deal with all the other shit that happens in the world. People need good things in life to deal with shit things. This is important to us so don't shit on it.

- many more but i think you get my point here...

Pulling out the "there are more important things in the world" hammer is honestly very narrow-sighted of you and (to use your words) nothing more than you taking a piss on all of us. Please do better and think/research stuff before you claim we are all little crybabies who are butthurt over minor first-world-problems.

This shit and similar shit in the gaming industry is affecting REAL PEOPLE and their lives/futures. Don't look down on that.

Google Stadia is bringing new real problems into the world of gaming, NEGATIVELY affecting people and making above points probably worse.

Also: Noone said that these problems are more important than our planet, people starving in poor countries or criminality.

Its just people being passionate about what they love and that should be respected. After all, we all need something to escape to in this world full of shit and abuse. And this "escapist" hobby of ours is slowly getting destroyed. We don't want to let that happen because we want and need that happiness in our lives to be able to deal with the rest of the bullshit.

Final thought: Wow, that blew up. I just couldn't let that slide...

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, dharvinia said:

In the past when Google has asked everyone to give up their freedom of choice, the public has responded negatively.

So Google in league with corporations and various agencies simply changes the rules ( and software) until the need to ask you for permission is a null event.

However, once the average joe realises that they can now play their favourite game on their handheld device, they will flock to the altar of Google like sheep.

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.

Yeah maybe if youre 15 years old. I cant imagine any adult sitting around just waiting for the day they can play games on their phone over their wide screen TV's.

20 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

Please do better and think/research stuff before you claim we are all little crybabies who are butthurt over minor first-world-problems.

This shit and similar shit in the gaming industry is affecting REAL PEOPLE and their lives/futures. Don't look down on that.

Grow up. 'This shit' has been happening in the real world for 200 years or so, if we only count from the industrial revolution.

And what action have you taken against 'this shit' in the gaming industry? Oh yes, you put a line in your sig. Holy radicals, Batman. The revolution starts here.

13 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Grow up. 'This shit' has been happening in the real world for 200 years or so, if we only count from the industrial revolution.

And what action have you taken against 'this shit' in the gaming industry? Oh yes, you put a line in your sig. Holy radicals, Batman. The revolution starts here.

Im sorry mate, but I'm the only one between the two of us who actually acts grown-up. Your lazy two-lines of sewer-water "hammertime" arguments scream of ignorance and lack of understanding. I know people like you and your train of thought when it comes to "discussions" like these.

You're always throwing in the same one-kill one-liners like "there are more important things", "so what have YOU done to fight" without actually writing anything to back up / explain / rationalize what YOU said. You're like a mirror, deflecting any incoming arguments that come towards you instead of actually coming up with a proper defense.. Whats next? "We can't change anything anyways"?

Get out of here if that's all you can mutter. Your contribution to this discussion is mathematically trending to zero.

I'm not going to take this shit and have been actively fighting against these asshole companies ruining our games by many means. By any means that i could think of. From boycotting to hours long discussions and informing people. Spreading awareness and stories from people who have experienced crunsh in companies. I worked in IT myself and was this close getting serious Burnout, was deeply in depression and am in therapy ever after. I've been there - So don't you even dare writing this kind of shit... ?

I used to work in IT myself but I'm retired now. I was never stupid enough to let any job I've had, in IT or anywhere else, get me in that state.

29 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

without actually writing anything to back up / explain / rationalize what YOU said.

What sort of explanation or rationalisation would you like? They are just computer games. I'm old enough to remember when such things didn't exist yet everyone somehow managed to muddle through.

This thing hasn't even seen light of day yet but everyone is getting their knickers in a twist. If it does see light of day and one doesn't agree with it then one can just leave it be and not subscribe or sign-up or whatever it is.

41 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

I used to work in IT myself but I'm retired now. I was never stupid enough to let any job I've had, in IT or anywhere else, get me in that state.

Just one more thing before i will (obviously) step away from "discussing" this with you. But again, i can't let that slide.

Stupidity is not the problem here. People don't end up in these situations because they're stupid. They end up in these situations because they went after their passion (IT, game design, programmer) as a career choice and it turned out that the company was treating them like shit AFTER they've been hired. Or after a CEO changed / changed his mind about how business should be done in said company. Best example: Bioware and the article about Bioware crunch and the "Bioware magic".

Moreover, its career-suicide speaking the truth to the public/press about the states of work in these companies so people many times sign up for it without knowing what's luring in the dark. Noone tells them about it beforehand.

And once you end up in this state many people don't really have free choice to just exit. They have to get food on the table, families to feed, some have loans from college times they need to pay off.

It took me over 6 months to exit my abusive work because I was terrified about the prospect of money just ending like this. It was not stupidity that kept me going even though i was at my limit, it was SURVIVAL.

It has NOTHING to do with people being stupid and you saying you were never stupid enough to end up in these kinds of situations honestly is one of the most insulting and ignorant things I've ever heard.

41 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

This thing hasn't even seen light of day yet but everyone is getting their knickers in a twist. If it does see light of day and one doesn't agree with it then one can just leave it be and not subscribe or sign-up or whatever it is.

Yeah, because letting shit happen and then fight against it has worked so great in the past... Did you even pay attention in history class or to any recent developments in the gaming industry?

Im done now, I can't take this anymore. 

2 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

It's just an extension of what Steam already does. You may have a hard copy of Skyrim but it's just a cup coaster unless you hook into Steam. Hey, think of the planet. How much less plastic waste and whatnot will there be.

The thing about that: if Steam went out of business tomorrow the hacking community would immediately pounce on the opportunity to crack the Steam verification checks. It might take a minute, but all the Steam security checks would eventually be defeated. And with Steam no longer existing to challenge the hackers in court or update their security algorithm once the verification is cracked its cracked for good. So my copy of Skyrim would only be a cup coaster for a few months tops. You don't get the option if your "copy" of a game only exists on a Google megaserver. Also people public stating they are not going to contribute even more money to the Google monopoly by rejecting Stadia does make the world a better place, however so slight.

Oh and I prefer digital downloads on to a personal harddrive. And I send my plastic waste to the recycling center. Also this forum is dedicated to the 1st world problem of gaming/game modding. Its not a recruitment site for a save the Earth campaign. So of course you're going to predominately see people ranting about video game related topics.

31 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

Stupidity is not the problem here. People don't end up in these situations because they're stupid.

You can always walk away. I did. I live my live by my principles and sometimes those principles entail making decisions and sacrifices.

33 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

Yeah, because letting shit happen and then fight against it has worked so great in the past...

Shit is happening all day, every day in virtually every place on Earth but you banging on about something which may never happen is going to work so well . . .

35 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

Did you even pay attention in history class or to any recent developments in the gaming industry?

I have a degree in history which is one of my passions. The gaming industry doesn't particularly interest me. 'Stadia' to me is an ancient Greek unit of measurement.

33 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

The thing about that: if Steam went out of business tomorrow the hacking community would immediately pounce on the opportunity to crack the Steam verification checks.

There are already cracked versions of every Steam game but that isn't the point. The point is that there is something, Steam, sitting between you and the game which you purchased but no one seems to be bothered by this. It doesn't happen with buying a car or a washing-machine or a pair of socks. Why is it allowed with computer games? I can't remember if Skyrim or Rome TW2 was the last game I bought but whichever it was will be the last because I wont buy anything else which requires Steam or a similar parasite. If that means no more gaming then no more gaming it is.

As far as having stuff on your own HHD, this Stadia thing will probably be like Steam and you download something but it wont work without something else which they keep.

44 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

Also this forum is dedicated to the 1st world problem of gaming/game modding. Its not a recruitment site for a save the Earth campaign.

Yes but this is the Community, General Discussion section. My comments about the plastic were facetious.

4 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Kiddo, many people/modders on this site were also game developers, watch your mouth, maybe the next game you willing to try were made by them.

The revolution isn't as stagnated as you think, people didn't say anything out loud doesn't mean they didn't doing something about them.

5 hours ago, walkin said:

Yeah maybe if youre 15 years old. I cant imagine any adult sitting around just waiting for the day they can play games on their phone over their wide screen TV's.

Just remember, that these same 15 year olds are the adults of tomorrow with a completely different insight (and programming) than the adults of today.

Just for the record most millennials think it is a great thing that all their devices share information as well as being able to share such data with their friends.

So, having the ability to play games on their phone is just another perk to them.

1 hour ago, dharvinia said:

Just remember, that these same 15 year olds are the adults of tomorrow with a completely different insight (and programming) than the adults of today.

Just for the record most millennials think it is a great thing that all their devices share information as well as being able to share such data with their friends.

So, having the ability to play games on their phone is just another perk to them.

Yeah makes no difference to me anyhow. I don't like multi player at all, they can cram their games as a service right up their ass. I like single player RPG story driven games and I'm only looking forward to playing a couple more than I'm done anyhow. Cyberpunk, The Outer Worlds and Starfield and TES6 if they look good at all. That's about it. I'm 49 and already had the pleasure of playing some of the best games that are ever going to be made so I cant bitch. Kids today have no idea what a good game is to begin with, you know, one where you actually get everything without paying for the shit they took out to sell you later. so at the end of the day Stadia isn't going to effect me at all.

5 hours ago, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

It's too expensive (first and foremost) and impractical.

I think those saying it'll probably last for about a year are dead on, but maybe I'm wrong.

It all depends on how much money Google is willing to throw at it until eventually calling it quits.

Their biggest issue imo is good internet connections and data caps, never mind the cost of it and having to buy the games. Then what happens when you do something Google doesn't like and they ban you. Yeah fuck Stadia. People will be mowing through their data caps in no time flat and I bet you anything that it wont take long before the first story about how someone got a $1000 internet bill cause their kids were playing the game all day everyday hits the news.

9 hours ago, saviliana said:

Kiddo, many people/modders on this site were also game developers, watch your mouth, maybe the next game you willing to try were made by them.

And what does that mean? Does it alter the fact that capitalists have been exploiting people for 200 years?

1 hour ago, walkin said:

Their biggest issue imo is good internet connections and data caps, never mind the cost of it and having to buy the games. Then what happens when you do something Google doesn't like and they ban you. Yeah fuck Stadia. People will be mowing through their data caps in no time flat and I bet you anything that it wont take long before the first story about how someone got a $1000 internet bill cause their kids were playing the game all day everyday hits the news.

Yep.

I remember everybody taking a piss on those "Always Online" copy protections when they were new, crying foul and wanting to boycott the publishers. I remember the comunity going batshit crazy when EA announced that Origin would be mandatory for playing Sims 3. Thing is, when the "first offenders" were released people flocked to them anyway, and nowadays it's pretty much common that you need a plethora of proprietary gaming hub software and that some of your games keep phoning home for no reason whatsoever: Steam is basically a given, GOGGalaxy, while not mandatory, is pushed on you, Origin, Uplay, BattleNet... Hell, I'm currently pondering the pro and con of installing the proprietary platform of publisher Epic Games, because they plan to exclusively release the PC version Detroit: Become Human to their software store.

That's the thing: Give people an incentive, and they will migrate. Question will be whether or not Google will be able to secure some exclusive AAA titles for their platform and generate some buzz around them. And that will be the tough part, because almost all AAA developers have founded their own proprietary platforms in the meantime. Google, for once, might simply be late to the game.

18 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

You can always walk away. I did. I live my live by my principles and sometimes those principles entail making decisions and sacrifices.

No, you can't if that means financial bankruptcy. You not seeing this and again answering my detailed explaination of the situation many people are in with a simple one-liner without basically any substance again shows your total lack of knowledge, experience and an absurd amount of ignorance and is in general an insult to the ludicrous amount of real people being stuck in a hate / love work environment (for example going after their passion to become a game developer) with the financial, mental, health and career risks i explained above.

Just ask the hundreds of people who were fired by Activision/Blizzards "let go of staff to increase ZA MONEY" who still look for a new job to this date what they think about your opinion of "just walking away from a job because that doesn't suit you / may be toxic"...

The rest of your posts, im not gonna answer anymore. I can't take anymore of your bullshit and your mentality of answering detailed posts with a fart of an answer. I've got better things to do, especially with 42°C outside...

Goodbye.

...Jesus fucking Christ, some people...

1 hour ago, XenonS3 said:

No, you can't if that means financial bankruptcy.

You get another job, maybe not in IT but something which helps pay the bills. Also you don't let it get that far. As soon as the warning signs appear  - time to move on.

The people at Activision/Blizzard probably suffered just like the people who lost their jobs because of the introduction of IT but not as much as the people when   steam-driven machines were introduced back in the C18th.

Your detailed posts consist of you telling us all about you and your troubles as if you were the only person in the world to have had to face such issues.

Before I went into IT, I worked in the construction industry and have been laid off on the eve of xmas. Oh, how the wife and I laughed.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:43 PM, Grey Cloud said:

There is a marked difference though. Yes once you download a game you have to hook into Steam to initialise it but after that if you stay offline it continues to work until you uninstall. I always play offline in any case but I do know factually that this works, as when I was flooded some years ago, after I got the electric back I was some weeks without an internet connection and was still playing Skyrim without any problems.

From my understanding of the Google offering, there is no download so a connection is required at all times so it's just Sky for games basically

15 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Your detailed posts consist of you telling us all about you and your troubles as if you were the only person in the world to have had to face such issues.

That is outright untrue. I've only written 2 lines/paragraphs about my personal experience, the rest was about people in general and their situations as reported in news articles, videos, people finally speaking out about these shitty situations and people i talked to. Don't lie about what I said and use this as your argument finisher, it's makes it almost too easy for me.

I've already explained everything and how I and many people (including news outlets, popular Youtubers such as Jim Sterling, and most importantly people actually in these situations) see and experience these problems. I've written enough, If you still want to disagree and say that its not that hard to exit and people are just being stupid ending up in these situations, fine. I just hope that you one day end up saying that to someone in the face who is in that situation and get a good smack in the face out of it. I really hope that will happen and will wake you up.

b8abff913124a489b3b4c8b13c2f4cacb542302c

Archived