I'm having an issue where some elves are not being assigned the proper portrait when they reach adulthood at 16.  Rather than being assigned an elf portrait of any kind they get assigned gfx_cheri_portraits_child human child portrait.  The ones that are given a proper portrait have the elven ethnicity. 

I also noticed when the game starts and I choose my race using the DWF event I have to use the change portrait button from the character menu to swap to an elven portrait for my starting character.  This isn't an issue I just thought it might be related that even if I'm of elven culture and ethnicity it doesn't assign a proper portrait.  I'm really not sure exactly whats going on but I've tried to include everything I think might be of value.  Let me know if there's anything else I can supply.  

I know cherisong said they would be busy with personal stuff in a different thread so I'm in no rush but I would like to know if there;s anything I can do to fix this on a larger scale (aside from murdering all elves and race changing my character).

1996374519_Elfissues.png.bb0d95513f2cd03cdc258648425437f2.png

I developed a minor work around where I remove_trait dwf_elf and the portrait will change to an elven portrait.  

1794376154_portraitchange1.png.2b01b91f4ba6df32d961d876001e9b28.png

575988720_portraitchange2.png.e25a208b1470fcd8d1c4b49a92ee18d5.png

340428367_portraitchange3.png.761a6a4c206ee9b590a61ff59eb5396c.png

CONTENT2.png.6b40daae890f98c2afea2f320c8acf83.png

4 hours ago, Cruxiana said:

I'm having an issue where some elves are not being assigned the proper portrait when they reach adulthood at 16.  Rather than being assigned an elf portrait of any kind they get assigned gfx_cheri_portraits_child human child portrait.  The ones that are given a proper portrait have the elven ethnicity.

This appears to be an issue with the new Dark World Fantasy update. Cheri Portraits doesn't change how portraits are assigned, it only overwrites the vanilla portraits.

Edit: Neither I or lockeslylcrit can reproduce your bug. Try reinstalling both Cheri Portraits and DWF and see if it helps.

Looks like i'm encountering the same issue as i was before a reinstall.  I'll try running a new game.  Might reinstall ck2.  I'm very confused.

Thanks for both your efforts.  I wasn't far enough in to warrant more effort than it would take for me to just restart the few hours I played.  If you are reading this you are a good person and you should have a good day :)

Edit: at this point I've reinstalled ck2 and all of my mods and set only this mod and dwf and dwf module - fae to active, but whenever elven children hit 16 they change from the elf child portrait to human child.  Could it have something to do with me not having Holy Fury/Jade Dragon/Charlemange/Rajas of India/Sons of Abraham DLC?  

I mean as long as no one else is having this issue I'm not content to suffer alone so I'm glad you can't recreate it I guess?  I wish I could be more useful for figuring this out.

3 hours ago, Cruxiana said:

Looks like i'm encountering the same issue as i was before a reinstall.  I'll try running a new game.  Might reinstall ck2.  I'm very confused.

Thanks for both your efforts.  I wasn't far enough in to warrant more effort than it would take for me to just restart the few hours I played.  If you are reading this you are a good person and you should have a good day :)

Edit: at this point I've reinstalled ck2 and all of my mods and set only this mod and dwf and dwf module - fae to active, but whenever elven children hit 16 they change from the elf child portrait to human child.  Could it have something to do with me not having Holy Fury/Jade Dragon/Charlemange/Rajas of India/Sons of Abraham DLC?  

I mean as long as no one else is having this issue I'm not content to suffer alone so I'm glad you can't recreate it I guess?  I wish I could be more useful for figuring this out.

I also am have this issue

After testing and retesting the issue over the past hour or so, both with Fae and Cheri Portraits, and with Fae without Cheri Portraits, I can conclusively say that this isn't an issue within Cheri Portraits. The fault lies entirely on Fae. I'll get a fix up soon.

Version 2.3 - 12 July 2019

• Newly elected mayors will now correctly be assigned portraits when the All setting is on.
  • Babies and courtiers will no longer be automatically assigned portraits when the Selective setting is on.
  • Updated werewolf portraits for Dark World Fantasy 2.4. The new version of DWF will only assign 3 portraits to werewolf girls, but the traits dwf_werewolf_portrait21 to dwf_werewolf_portrait25 still exist and can be manually added for more female portraits.
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the portraits, but going by the preview pics, I can't put this in my game.

The base replacements are great. If I played (mostly) vanilla, I'd use this.

The DWF replacements... are blurry about what race they are. While I like 80%-90% of the portraits better than the original DWF ones, many of the races can be difficult to identify correctly. Elf/Faerie (wings would help a lot), Angels(wings?)/Humans, Dragon/Demon and Kitsune  can be mistaken for both Nekos and Weres. It's to the point that I was looking at the DWF comparisons to tell which race they were supposed to be for a couple of them. I imagine this is something where I'd learn which pics are intended to be each race after a few games, but... I can't tell the races apart, and that isn't ideal. I get that you're trying to do more 'portrait' style pictures (i.e. head only), but the races distinguishing characteristics being easily visible is important as well (or as least it is to me).

Not trying to be rude, just something to keep in mind. As I said before, I'd like to use this, but I just can't tell them apart easily enough (if I'm trying to seed a race into my court via marriages or something, I want to be able to tell the species apart via portrait). 

5 hours ago, Sabin said:

Is it possible to use the DWF replacer pictures alongside the DWF ones to expand the portrait pool, or is it strictly one set or the other?

Currently it's one or the other, as it replaces the textures completely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bit of a CK2 noob here. I love the portraits in this mod, but I was wondering: Is there a way for me to supplement/expand on them? (Say, combine with other mods to add more variety?)

Nice as it is, I'm finding that I'll have 5 people in my court with the same picture, or run into an issue where I'm at war with a duke who has the same face as my first son, who has the same face as the second son whose been plotting to kill me... Maybe I'm asking a bit much, but I'd love to be able to recognize who's who by their picture.

I'm fine if not everyone in the game is beautiful... Maybe save Cheri's portraits for the ones who have attractive traits. ;)

On 10/25/2019 at 6:04 AM, emes said:

Bit of a CK2 noob here. I love the portraits in this mod, but I was wondering: Is there a way for me to supplement/expand on them? (Say, combine with other mods to add more variety?)

There's no easy way other than rolling up your sleeves and kitbashing the mods together into a new mod.

You can set Cheri Portraits to not automatically be assigned to characters though, so you can pick and choose who you want to use Cheri Portraits and who you want to be covered by a different portrait mod.

6 hours ago, Cheri Song said:

There's no easy way other than rolling up your sleeves and kitbashing the mods together into a new mod.

You can set Cheri Portraits to not automatically be assigned to characters though, so you can pick and choose who you want to use Cheri Portraits and who you want to be covered by a different portrait mod.

Shame. My hands are way too full at the moment to add learning to make mods for another game right now, even though it looks like it could be fun.

I'll probably do as you suggest. I love the portraits, but there just aren't enough to cover the hundreds+ of NPCs in the game without too many repeats. Haven't had much luck with finding other portrait mods I like, either, so I may just be stuck with vanilla for anyone I don't choose to bless with one of your pictures. (So many of them require a bunch of DLCs I don't have...!) 

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, Cheri Song said:

So, because i have a similar wish as the first poster (I would like to expand the male selection of portraits) could you maybe elaborate a bit? I tried adding an additional dds file and manually put in the names into the gfx, but nothing would show up, so I'm a bit lost on what to do. I tried to work with the Static Portrait Replacer mod directly, but that one doesn't have such a neat, gendered randomn assignment feature like yours. Any ideas on what I could do? I only use Luxuria and your replacer, no DW.

(Happy new year, btw!)

How this mod works:

• The graphics are defined in the gfx files. For the European portraits, a single dds file is loaded by the game engine, which is told that it consists of one row of 26 images. The game engine splits it into 26 images, ready to be loaded whenever needed.
  • 26 new traits are added.
  • In the portrait interface files, 26 new portrait overrides are added. Each override checks whether the character has the corresponding trait. If so, it draws a graphic in one of the portrait layers.
  • When the game starts, an event fires which randomly adds one of the 26 traits to all characters. This event also fires for any new courtiers that are spawned.
  • There's also the ethnicity traits and stuff but that's the basic gist of it.

How to add your own portraits is left as an exercise to the reader.

22 hours ago, Cheri Song said:

How this mod works:

• The graphics are defined in the gfx files. For the European portraits, a single dds file is loaded by the game engine, which is told that it consists of one row of 26 images. The game engine splits it into 26 images, ready to be loaded whenever needed.
  • 26 new traits are added.
  • In the portrait interface files, 26 new portrait overrides are added. Each override checks whether the character has the corresponding trait. If so, it draws a graphic in one of the portrait layers.
  • When the game starts, an event fires which randomly adds one of the 26 traits to all characters. This event also fires for any new courtiers that are spawned.
  • There's also the ethnicity traits and stuff but that's the basic gist of it.

How to add your own portraits is left as an exercise to the reader.

Hello again - first off, thank you for the detailed description. I realize this is the process behind the portrait assignment, but I'm still not sure how to actually add new portraits - since I only want to expand the male selection i think the workflow would be limited to the male-only files (the dds and the gfx), but I might be wrong. When i tried to add the portraits 27-52 I manually copied the portrait type column in the gfx and changed the numbers for the second one, and of course linked the right dds files. Additionally I added the extra portrait numbers in the events.txt file from your mod. When I loaded up the game and started a new one - your mod set to ALL - I was stuck with a wild mix of the games original portraits and yours. The second dds file I made was a copy of yours, so if it would've worked I should've only seen the original Cheri portraits.

The female portraits were suddenly mixed as well, despite not touching them or their code. I apologize for the trouble but I feel like I'm missing some numbers I should change or a file I should've left untouched.

I wasn't planning on diving into ethnicities and such, but at this point I'm not even sure it's possible to have more than 26 male portraits?

Edit: Finally managed to have it work - for anyone interested, the additional traits have to be put into the events.txt and the traits.txt, the "south asian" and "east asian" traits didn't work for my game correctly, so I deleted them completely. Make sure not to miss a single bracket in the gfx, I did and it took me hours to realize that. Currently working with 78 portrait traits for both genders, so 156 in total. Only people who are dead at the beginning of the game are not assigned a portrait for some reason. Thank you for providing all the code, Cheri!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 12:43 AM, Sakisa27 said:

Hello again - first off, thank you for the detailed description. I realize this is the process behind the portrait assignment, but I'm still not sure how to actually add new portraits - since I only want to expand the male selection i think the workflow would be limited to the male-only files (the dds and the gfx), but I might be wrong. When i tried to add the portraits 27-52 I manually copied the portrait type column in the gfx and changed the numbers for the second one, and of course linked the right dds files. Additionally I added the extra portrait numbers in the events.txt file from your mod. When I loaded up the game and started a new one - your mod set to ALL - I was stuck with a wild mix of the games original portraits and yours. The second dds file I made was a copy of yours, so if it would've worked I should've only seen the original Cheri portraits.

The female portraits were suddenly mixed as well, despite not touching them or their code. I apologize for the trouble but I feel like I'm missing some numbers I should change or a file I should've left untouched.

I wasn't planning on diving into ethnicities and such, but at this point I'm not even sure it's possible to have more than 26 male portraits?

Edit: Finally managed to have it work - for anyone interested, the additional traits have to be put into the events.txt and the traits.txt, the "south asian" and "east asian" traits didn't work for my game correctly, so I deleted them completely. Make sure not to miss a single bracket in the gfx, I did and it took me hours to realize that. Currently working with 78 portrait traits for both genders, so 156 in total. Only people who are dead at the beginning of the game are not assigned a portrait for some reason. Thank you for providing all the code, Cheri!

I know I'm a bit late, but thank you, that helps immensely :)

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what's changed lately, but I've started getting big lag spikes on every day that ticks by with this mod active. Any ideas what that could be? I didn't have that when I played with this same setup a week or two ago.

Mods I'm running:

Spoiler

A Bigger Interface
ABM

Cheri - Tentacled Dreams

Cheri - Tentacled Dreams Images

Cheri - Tentacled Dreams Sounds

Cheri Portraits

Cheri Scripting Library

Crusader Milk

LF Jim Raynor's Image Overhaul

Lesbocracy [Beta]

Luxuria Fantasia

Ruler Designer Unlocked!

Sounds like something is going seriously wrong. The most likely cause is either Tentacled Dreams or Lesbocracy, which are large overhaul mods that do a lot of stuff. I haven't noticed any "big lag spikes on every day" with Tentacled Dreams, so it's probably the latter.

• 3 weeks later...