Trying to make open bottom dresses

ROTE - As a famous Graphic Artist & Modeler once said, "Patients & Practice"... and lots of it! (hi JoshQ)

I might also add "Persistence" but that sort of falls under Practice.

Even someone who uses the various software systems regularly will discover new or unique methods/shortcuts from time to time as the quirks or idiosyncrasies of the software becomes more familiar.

Me, like I said - I'm more of a mechanical engineer - not so much an artist. 

But,  always playing with it so improving.

A professor once told me, " Anyone can be a "photographer" - take 10,000 pictures... your a photographer. You just might not be a very good one, but your a photographer!"

I haven't taken 10,000 pictures yet either.

26 minutes ago, Non-sequitur said:

Even someone who uses the various software systems regularly will discover new or unique methods/shortcuts

And then forget half of it! But, I try to find things to use my learning on, and PRACTICE! Oh, sometimes it doesn't look as good as I though it would, and I just start again from a different angle... usually after a vodka binge with my husband, and a day or two on the shelf.

I wrote to Josh, since he hasn't been around a lot lately... He said he had tried helping people who quit when things got difficult, but that I have "tenacity". )))) I guess the same as persistence... ))))))) I don't consider myself in the same category as some of the true artists that create CC, but I know I have improved, which gives me reason to continue to work at getting better.

36 minutes ago, Non-sequitur said:

A professor once told me, " Anyone can be a "photographer" - take 10,000 pictures... your a photographer. You just might not be a very good one, but your a photographer!"

I overheard my husband telling my dad a war story a long time ago... One of his instructors said, "Its not whether you make a mistake or not, but how well you hide the body that counts!!!" ?

7 minutes ago, LadySmoks said:

I don't consider myself in the same category as some of the true artists that create CC, but I know I have improved

Same here - Although I haven't been actively participating with the middle part of this thread due to making PG World, I have been slowly catching up on the various techniques discussed and working more in Blender.  I would hope it shows in the quality improvement.  I no longer whip out 2 or 3 a week and now make about 1 or 2 a month. It's more enjoyable doing the tedious work now thanks to Josh's coaching.

I've been wondering if Josh went on sabbatical.

18 minutes ago, LadySmoks said:

Its not whether you make a mistake or not

Lol!  My CO once told me that if 1st Sarg told me to paint the Jeep - I would paint the Jeep. I'd paint the engine, the seats, the windshield - you'd paint every square millimeter of that Jeep and it would be PERFECT! - don't try so hard... I still don't listen very well either... but improving.

4 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

I no longer whip out 2 or 3 a week and now make about 1 or 2 a month

I may get something one every 2 or 3 months! I test in game and always, right before I'm ready to upload, I see something I don't like... usually clipping.

I've been wondering if Josh went on sabbatical.

He seems to think he taught me enough, and thinks my work is good enough that I should just continue and perfect it... at least, that's what I took from what he wrote.

I'd paint the engine, the seats, the windshield

I can see it now! My husband says you probably got a medal for doing such a good and thorough job!

1. I do nothing all day/every day but sit in front of this computer screen and make things.  I'm on it 8-20 hours a day making things for Sims 3.

2. I'd agree with Josh. You've got a strong enough base to manipulate any object be it large, small, accessory, clothing, - anything. As your experience builds - so does your confidence that if anything unusual presents itself - you can figure it out. 

I can't speak for JoshQ but i think he has confidence in your work and skills. I know I have confidence in your skills and knowledge. Now, It's your turn. You know you can always ask me a question - I'm sure Josh is the same.  Sometimes the best way to teach - is to ask the student open ended questions that effectively guide their own thinking. The answer they come up with becomes theirs and not someone else's regurgitate on command response. They know it because they own it. You Own It!

----------------

Yep - almost a metal.

Made me a "Rover".  Put me in charge of the WHSE computer system (punch card and paper tape computer spread out over two mobile trailers). Made me the "how to" guy - Made things for the Battalion like brick signs and water fountains, demolition crews to remodeling barracks, and a lot of oddball tasks. Then they started piling up the Article 15's because they found out I could do anything so would give me a task I was unsuited for and punish me for 1st failure when most times I had to figure out my own resources for a project without any support. This was all because the unit I was assigned to was 300% overstaffed - Crew Chief and mechanic for Army Helicopter - and had nowhere to go - according to the DOD. Graduated in the top 1 or 2 of every class.  Not good enough to bump someone out of a job though - I guess.

----------------

Now onto something that is of a great concern to me.

It seem I no longer have access to my Sims 3. 

Origin is changing their Client Security protocols for all their EA and other games. Any OS older than Windows 8 will no longer be able to play the game through them.

Unfortunately, they stupidly set the Legacy Client (ment for older OS) to auto update to the new Security which is not compatible with the older OS's. 

Until EA/Origin removes the Update patch automatic feature - I no longer have access to the game!

I don't have GAME!

I've posted here on LL for some help fixing this but so far only can't do it is the response.

Hopefully, there is someone here on LL that can help - they just haven't seen the topic yet. 

I know there are - I've talked with them before about this but had no urgency so didn't pay attention - the Goddess knows I can't afford a new computer or any upgrade.

This being the case - and since I have no way to test anything I make - I'm shut down.

Cant make anything.

19 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

I'm shut down.

That is messed up!  Origin is the worst. I bought my game disks a while ago, but the way Origin works, you still have to go online to register the game, and when you do, they run their updates. Doesn't your computer store everything? I never play while online. I have to login to the game on my own computer whenever I shutdown or restart, but don't go online for that. Hopefully someone has an answer. I wish I knew something that would help.

Your problem makes my drama tiny! I'm just circling back to the need to solidify mesh parts, and not being able to export the mesh after I do. I left a message on the 2.8 tool board at MTS.

Well, I hope you get an answer soon so you can back testing!

Origin refuses to start if there is an update. Although I had Origin set to store the installers, had notifications, updates, about everything turned off, I had it online so I wouldn't need to type in my PW every time with all the going back and forth in testing.  The launcher and all of its settings were off too - no notifications, store, portal - not logged in.

The installers have never worked once installed on your machine. 

You have two options - go off line or update.  There was a small notice about discontinuing service so I clicked on it. It auto updated (no escape) then went to the website where I learned about EA/Origin terminating for older OS's. I tried to uninstall and reinstall a clean copy of the Thinset Origin Client - nope - it auto updates while installing.  I went to their Legacy site and downloaded their oldest - still auto updated while installing.  Lazy Software Engineer!

I bought a series of game disks a few years back through Amazon. Unfortunately, they were all bootleg with crack files. Looked perfect too - packaged as it would be on the game store shelf. They wouldn't install and Amazon would not address my claim. 

I did find a copy of the entire Sims 3 collections cracked by Games4theWorld.

Haven't tried it yet.   I really don't think EA/Origin is going to do a thing - or even respond to my complaint. 

If the Games4theWorld version does work - I've done nothing illegal. I can have a backup copy of software I've purchased. And since EA/Origin won't respond and I own a copy of each and every one of them...

I guess it's worth a try to install the cracked version.  It's version 1.67.

That means I may have a little trouble with TSRW. I know I'll have problems with CAW and maybe a few other utilities and editors for world stuff. NRaas Tools maybe - I'll need to go through them and make sure I have the correct versions.

Of course - I may have trouble with a junk crack and this is all Mute.

The way Origin sets things up is confusing sometimes. I try to never start my game while online because of the updates and the load of store crap that no one wants, filling your CAS and slowing the game. I always run my game in "offline" mode.

If you get the version to work, google sims 3 patches. I remember seeing somewhere all the patches so you can load them manually. I saw this a while ago when my game patched to 1.69 and I had problems, so I ended up reinstalling and only patching to 1.67. I got jammed with a 1.69 patch again a while ago and it seems to work okay now.

I don't know anything about it, but I think STEAM? also offers TS3.

Patch 1.69 was only Origin overhead - there were no changes made to the game core. So, updating to 1.69 is only for Origin and a small change to the launcher which I think was to add the ability to turn EP's & SP's on or off and removed the icons for EP's & SP's displayed at the bottom of the Launcher.  There is a 3rd party "Selector" for that on MTS.

Going through Steam would most likely end the same way - no support and blocked access due to me being obsolete.  Besides, I'd need to prove ownership (if that matters to them) or repurchase everything.  Nope.

The problem is my Operating System, it's so old that the newer Windows OS's core Libraries cannot be implemented on older OS's - they don't exist. So when any newer software tries to implement that code (that doesn't exist - like on my machine) - it crashes.   I need a newer Operating System. Since I only have an old 32 bit machine - I can't update to 64 bit tech or software. I need a newer machining - a 64 bit. Oh well...

I heard that buying new game disks still puts you online to register, and then they update you anyway when they tell you to activate it. That was how they got me, and now my disks won't install the game without going online.

You should get yourself a cheap used laptop for Christmas. ) The way the systems are constantly changing, you might be able to get one that's only a year or two old fairly cheap?

How's the weather where you're at? It's pretty cloudy and cold here.

I wish it was warmer...

If wishes were fishes - I'd be fat by now... or King of the Seas.

I'm still hopeful of a positive outcome  but buying anything is out of the question unless I'm willing to live off cabbage soup and potatoes for a few months or more. I can still use TSRW and the other editors so I can still create. I just can't test or see if it even shows up in the game. So can't share anything.

Thought you may find some use with this:

https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Texture-Maps/free

13 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

but buying anything is out of the question unless I'm willing to live off cabbage soup and potatoes for a few months or more.

You forget where I'm originally from? Or you didn't know what borscht is??? ))))) Ah... my childhood. Take the cabbage and potatoes, add some shredded beets and carrots, and there you have it! Meat is optional. There's a little more to it than that, but its the basics.

Here is sunny and feels warm. I took my son to the playground for a while earlier. Now, its my husband's turn. I hate that he can't work right now, but its nice having a tag team partner.

Its a horror not being able to see things in game. My Arkham top looks great in TSRW!!! And then I test it......... So, I stepped back (again) and am on my 5th version. I kind of know the problem... what I'm trying to do is almost like open bottom dresses... EA never intended for it to happen, so work arounds are things I have to find or figure out. My top is layered, like a dress, with a top over the boobs, and straps over the top, and boob clipping is an issue. I tried doing this before and failed!!! But, I think I know a little more now and will get this.

Hopefully, you'll find a way to get back in the game and test.

Thanks for the textures page. There are a few I may convert to .dds maps.

I've already scrapped this version of the top, but this will still be the basic look...

aa.jpg.0bd19926952f8f9e018e84424b1f831c.jpg

Boots are almost ready. This is looking like an after New Years finish since I want to upload everything as a set and still haven't thought about the choker collar.

7 minutes ago, LadySmoks said:

You forget where I'm originally from?

No... I might not have been brought up in Slavic  country - but my parents were conservative farmers and there were hard times. Being Norwegian, Swedish, and Alsace-Lorraine (English), I have my minimalist side too.    I learned to make due with what I have - makes one creative with what one has. So, no Carrots and only canned beets... not a fan of cold soup... so Cabbage soup it is... lol.  Not sorrel -based green borscht , rye -based white borscht, beet borscht or cabbage borscht. This must be the food section of this thread. So, eat your cabbage and drink your potatoes...

23 minutes ago, LadySmoks said:

Here is sunny and feels warm.

That was about not being able to buy  and how it relates to making a wish. But, I'm glad you have nice weather and you had a nice day taking the "kids" to the playground. lol.

Finding textures by surfing images online is a very slow process. Having a source page is handy. I thought you may appreciate. As well as anyone making objects for games. I might not be able to participate but I can still be helpful - I hope.

The new top... version 5 (at least since I started numbering them) might work... but then, I thought that about the other 4 versions!

I really only started playing with objects clones with any success very recently. I still have to do a final look at the dildo barstools, chairs and KW scripted giant dildo.

Harley's guns look kind of plain. Maybe a taller gun sight so it doesn't look like a box? SHINY!

1 hour ago, Non-sequitur said:

and drink your potatoes...

Sounds like a plan!

Took one more step toward finishing this outfit... or at least having pieces that I can work with until I'm satisfied with them.

Making a choker collar is a small project. I've done simple things like replacing the EA picture, like putting a picture of the Joker in Harley's choker, but never did much more than that. I remember you suggesting I make a 3d buckle for the leather pants... its a possibility now. ) I went back and looked at a pic Josh posted, and at some of your meshes and figured, I can make this (now that I've learned a little more)! ))) 

So, in the Arkham pics, Harley has basically a dog collar with a buckle. Here's my first effort at making a 3d buckle...

357742903_achoker.jpg.e30f5c7e50d70b2ef503e7b2150abdcc.jpg

It came out pretty good! A touch more shine maybe.

I would have set the division count high on the collar so it conforms smoothly and no little angle showing - unless you cant spare the polycount.

Although I can't test anything and since your looking for a weapon for the girl...

You might want to take a look at these...

Whip Wall 2-groups HLD.wsoWall mounted MAC-11 HLD - 2 Groups.wsoWall mounted Asult Gun 1 HLD - 2 Groups.wso50 CAL HLD 2 groups.wso

I don't know if they could work for you - or work in-game, but you're welcome to them. 

Thanks. I'm just starting to play with "making" parts from thin air torus, cylinders, etc, shaping them and exporting. As I learn more and play with things, I hope to get better with shine and things like that. I did do a little more to it... a little wider and added stitching in the multiplier. I'm just figuring out stuff you and Josh mentioned about tris and quads... and exporting .objs. Mostly because of altered meshes not exporting, so I tried exporting as .obj and converting. Some things worked, some didn't. Not sure why. But, still working on that. Its so much easier to convert a mesh to quads, work on it and convert back... at least so far it seems that way.

Josh told me about shrink/flatten as a way around my solidify problem. It didn't work for that, but was perfect for making the gloves. I only meshed them and haven't put a test package together yet.

I also thought about increasing the division count to smooth out going around the neck, and still might. No problem with poly count on such a small accessory. Working with quads, its so easy to do! Like I said, I'm really just starting to learn this stuff, so a few baby steps... make something that works, test in game and then go back and get fancy. This is the second step...

2132472518_achoker2.jpg.8fc372bbd32b0606f3553ef918334bc7.jpg

Still a little rough, but getting there! I can't imagine not being able to play and test. It must be killing you. (((

Thanks for the guns. I'll take a look and see if I can work with something in those packages, both as accessory and as a replacement for the Desecrate working gun. Worst case, I still have the guns I already enlarged, and they are workable.

This project is taking a lot longer than I thought it would, but slowly coming together. The EA ep3 choker distorts like that too. I'll try using neck bones on the next version.

1577322048_ahappypsychopath.jpg.70c8c0e544a502eac60508cdc86c5e4e.jpg

16 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

The EA ep3 choker distorts like that too.

I don't know if you made the choker with Plane/Extrude, a box, or what but, Try making it with a closed cylinder or torus.  It makes it a solid object so can't be distorted like that. It will extend through the neck. So a flattened Torus to have the inside roll of the torus (ID) as the chokers inner surface edge at the neck surface. Gives the illusion of a surface laid object. Shading can be done on the multiplier as the toruses roll edge will display on the UV Map - and/or Normals with a good valley.  If the object is welded together as a separate object then imported it can remedy that problem as well. If all else fails - use a closed cylinder and bevel the edges. Adding a couple inner subdivisions and you can move them in a little to give you the inner roll of the choker at the neck surface. 

The guns UV Maps are (pretty much) set up for Sims 3, Group_0 is the wall shadow, Group_1 is the object. Designed for Decor/Pictures/... any small picture with 2 groups for HLD and 1 group for MLD. The UV's are set up in groups on the map for color or overlays. You'll see a space between groups generally. Or, I can send you the image files for the UV's.  The Whip I should have done differently. The UV for the entire whip is the rectangle on the left of the UV. Finding the right place to add handle banding you will need to make a layer with a couple lines on it over the color mask layer - move them around until you find it - it's close to the bottom. Should have made the handle shape then Mapped it so the handle would show on the Map. But... No - I didn't. Remapping it now with the mesh curling over itself - wouldn't paint correctly. Easy to make one though - a long vertical cylinder, shape the handle, Map, taper the rest and slowly loop it into a circle - or whatever.

Originally I had made a few guns (50 Cal., Mossberg, .270 Sniper) to use as the Mesh replacements for the Assassins Guild Mod. I had some fun with it and then decided to make them as wall mounted "guns at the ready" That's when Origin pulled the digital rug out from under me. 

MAC-11 MULTIPLIER 1.ddsMAC-11 COLOR 1.ddsMAC-11 SPECULAR 1.ddsMAC-11 OVERLAY 1.dds

I figure the MAC-11 is the most useful to you.

I just sent Deep Silver Volition LLC a message

Maybe I can work on their Saints Row series - they are looking for someone in every department to finish the game by summer 2020. They use Maya, Unreal Engine, and a few proprietary development editors for their work. Even if I'm just sitting in the "pit" debugging for collision detection problems - it would be more fun than sitting here staring at a blank screen. They produce for XBox, PS4, and PC.

It's like I've lost someone very close to me...

Thanks for the new gun. I still haven't looked too deep into the others yet, but hope to clear some time tonight.

This project has so many pieces. Leather pants, corset top, boots, choker, guns, gloves and bracelets! I've been basically getting everything to a workable point, then will go back to finalize all of it. Nothing is really completed yet. The choker is just the section of the neck,since it already follows the lines, increased x and y and extruded the edges. The buckle is an 8 sided x 6 sided torus, as are the eyelets. For now, its good enough that I have a base. I may subdivide and smooth it, but probably not much more.

Still stuck trying to get the corset top bones to do as they're told! Like a kid!!! I rearranged that furniture again, and will be testing soon. Whenever I get it to where I like it, I'll finish the multiplier.

In the meantime, so many parts to the outfit... I started on the gloves now too. They're just arms to above the elbow and hands with fingers cut off. I rolled the tops and used shrink/flatten to increase the mesh diameter a little. Basing it as the 3 ring bracelet. I realized I never put the latest pants mesh into a package yet! Oooooooo SHINY!!!!! 

No luck getting back online with TS3? Have you checked forums? I'm sure there must be a way for you to get back in.

There has been no response from EA or Origin.

I did try again to start the game - crashed. I deleted and reinstalled the Origin Thin Client fresh from their website again - crashed. I checked my EA "Tickets" - nothing. Checked all my emails - nothing. Checked various Forums - not much of anything (squashing decent). In a fit of rage against the machine... - I removed everything EA and Origin...

They have my account, my purchases. I'll either find a way to upgrade then have access or find a decent hacked version. In any case USA law allows a personal backup copy of any software owned by its licensed end user. Because these online Control Points like Origin "Hold" your software for you they can get around some of that law. However, blocking my access due to obsolescence on an obsolete game is a bit of a legal stretch. I'm fairly sure I'm in a small percentage. So, I say pay me off. I'll take the cash and upgrade then slowly purchase from someone else.  They win by not having me on their backs degrading and berating them and not in small claims court - and I win by upgrading.  I'll find another outlet, another game.

So, any other builders and modelers for other games here on LL - I'm looking to get involved... 

As long as it can run on a 32 bit machine...

I'm not a computer wizard, so I just don't understand a lot of what you mean about your OS, but I run task manager while playing to monitor what the game is doing, and my Sims 3 says its only 32 bit???????

I still hope you get this straightened out.

Right. The Sims 3 is an old 32 bit game.  It was first released on June 2, 2009 simultaneously for OS X and Microsoft Windows – both versions on the same disc.  In 2003, 64-bit CPUs were introduced to the (formerly 32-bit) mainstream personal computer market and it was years later before AMD, and others started jumping in. It started hitting the affordable range and good availability about 2009-2014 although 64 bit computing has been around since the 70's (Cray-1 in 75'). EA developed The Sims 3 for a 32 bit platform because 64 bit development tools were not available at that time.

@Non-sequitur You don’t need a cracked .exe to run Sims 3, nraa’s ‘no cd’ does the same and it's safer.

@LadySmoks Normally I just attach one bone to chokers, otherwise deformation happens, the downside is the choker will clip with the neck and shoulders, normally you won’t notice that much except for sex animations.

choker_bones.jpg

Sorry for stopping participating but my english is barely adequate and I have a hard time following all the post you make, you two talk like parrots (joking!)

10 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

Right. The Sims 3 is an old 32 bit game.

You see, I still don't understand how you can't access your TS3 on Origin because your system is old. The game wasn't changed to 64 bit.

8 hours ago, JoshQ said:

Normally I just attach one bone to chokers

I cloned the EA ep3 velvet choker, so it has their bones. 6 of them. The overall on outfit pieces is looking better, so soon I'll go back to finalize everything. I may remove a couple to see how it changes movement.

8 hours ago, JoshQ said:

Sorry for stopping participating but my english is barely adequate and I have a hard time following all the post you make, you two talk like parrots (joking!)

"Practice and patience"!!!!!!! ? I wanted to be a government interpreter, and studied English. I met English speaking friends online and practiced writing (chatting). When a friend introduced my husband, he spoke Russian and I spoke English. ) When I came to US, I took more classes at the local college. 

I still can't get the top to behave as I want. Not sure what I will do about it. I hope clearing the bone and replacing empty bones works.

Archived