Ok.  For the sake of enabling people with more time and skill, this post is going to be a conversion guide with pictures step by step.  I'll also upload conversion materials and another explanation on the main page.  But I don't know if I can do pictures the same way there or how.  So here it goes.

To convert a tat from CBBE to UNP I'm using the following process (and there might be better ones):

First I created a Fullbody yellow UNP tat.  Since I'll be uploading that, you don't have to create it, you can just use mine.  Open that first.

Spoiler

753121776_Step1.png.45c164856efa238f5c256fcaf8678da0.png

Next you'll want to open whichever tat you want to convert.  In theory, you should only really need to do this for fullbody tats.  This also isn't going to be a perfect one to one conversion.  It will look a bit warped, but it should allow you to remove any gaps.  Anyway, next you open the tat you want to convert.  in this case, irezumi 2.

Spoiler

1710933027_Step2.png.69843871b3a46e71eeacfe8f0a03fd0d.png

As you can see in the upper left, both are open as separate documents.  Next we need to copy Irezumi 2 (or whatever tat you are converting) as a new layer ontop of the UNP yellow base.  In GIMP this doesn't always work right away.  Sometimes I have to create a new layer over the yellow base, then copy, then delete the extra layer.  Not sure why I have to do this, but sometimes I do or it refuses to copy.  Keep the base, and tat as separate layers for now.

Spoiler

420564151_Step3.png.8820595eca2151dad7dac5208d7cefc2.png

With the tat on top you can see the yellow coming through.  Any yellow you see is a gap in the tat.  Not all gaps are bad though.  For example, the yellow line going down the middle is supposed to be there even for the CBBE version.  But anywhere you see yellow, that's where you'll see skin on a UNP body when the tat is being used in game.  In this case, what we're looking at is the yellow lining above the two mostly blue sections to the left and right.  Those are the hip/butt areas.  The UNP body has more skin by the hip/butt.  So that's what we need to fix.  In this case I used the clone stamp on the top layer (the tat) and then applied the new effect to the bottom layer.  But you can work on the top layer if you want.  Just make sure to cover any yellow that you want covered as best you can.  For some of the more simplistic designs, like my Hidan set, I was able to just color all the yellow in as black.

Spoiler

246193680_Step4.png.0ca8644b3678516a6f2f51ab6c28b46c.png

As you can see, with this design I colored in the hip sections but left the rest of the yellow that I want to be skin.

Spoiler

1400158406_Step5-1.png.c31c2dc448d8b851130404e474f51470.png

If you completely covered in all the yellow, you can use the merge down function and then proceed to the next step which is saving the file.  I did that with my Hidan version to make sure the design covered up the solid black I created on the bottom layer.  But in this case we still have yellow, so we can't actually merge down.  Otherwise that yellow part will show up instead of actual skin. So...

Spoiler

607229474_Step5-2.png.13ba781452b4278db53957ecff257271.png

In this case we delete the bottom layer.  Naturally that means we had to be working only with the top layer (directly changing the tat) which I actually might not have done so I'll have to do this over.  But the point is, deleting the yellow but keeping whatever changes we've made.  We just want that yellow part gone now.

Spoiler

276083672_Step6.png.29dd157bd63fd7f52b45fdea7c688f6f.png

Assuming the changes are still there, all that's left is saving.  You want to save it as a .dds.  Ideally you should save it over the original tat and with the exact same name, in the same folder.  If you change the name, you'll need to change the .json file to reflect the new name.  But having it under a new name would allow you to keep both the original and the new version at the same time.  But .json changes can be a pain so my conversions probably won't have both CBBE or UNP.  It will be one or the other.

When exporting as a .dds file it will ask in a small box about mipmaps.  I've been lead to believe it's a very good idea to select generate mipmaps as opposed to not generating them.  It's not a concept I fully understand, but from what I do understand Skyrim "can" generate them while you're playing but it's better to have them already.  It has something to do with viewing the various tats at a distance or something.  Most of my tats don't have them because I only learned about this recently.  My newer tats, starting with the Darth Maul set should have them.  Any converted tattoos will have them, and over time I intend to slowly replace my old files with updated ones that add mipmaps.  It's not hard to add them, just tedious.  I basically just have to open each tat and save it again.  But maybe it's a waste of time.  I don't really know.

Anyway, with this little guide you should be able to make your own conversions if I don't have the time or if you have more artistic skill than me.  I will upload my yellow bases shortly.  There are three of them, body, hands, and feet.

15 minutes ago, donttouchmethere said:

is that the savetats name?

getting confused here^^

found it in twili

I don't mean to confuse.  I don't always remember the exact names.  But it seems like you found it and it looks good.  better than the Hidan one even.

21 minutes ago, Aki K said:

I don't mean to confuse.  I don't always remember the exact names.  But it seems like you found it and it looks good.  better than the Hidan one even.

definitly makes a nice butt ^^

also great for combinations with your other tats and various outfits

now I need to find out why I can't get the yakuza irezumi1 tat as unp modification in my game

31 minutes ago, donttouchmethere said:

definitly makes a nice butt ^^

also great for combinations with your other tats and various outfits

now I need to find out why I can't get the yakuza irezumi1 tat as unp modification in my game

It's possible I messed it up by deleting the wrong layer and didn't actually change anything.  When I have time I'll attempt another conversion of that one.  But the design is much harder to work with.  At the very least, I've proven the concept works and have left a set of instructions if you want to take a crack at it.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who want a look at what the X ray looks on my character.  Maybe it will look better on others?  I feel very criticial of this work.  I expected it to be much better than it turned out.  But maybe I'm just noticing the my own flaws too much and other people would like it.  Feed back would be appreciated.  If I don't get any feed back I will just assume it wasn't worth the effort.

Spoiler

X1.png.ece9a8a308cfba7ecc83d07aa44bd0c0.png

Worst looking one in terms of noticeable edges on the tat.

Spoiler

X2.png.6f11d26fb916650c07b96dab602cfab9.png

Best looking one in my opinion.  But the color seems to contrasted (even if it is supposed to be the inside not the outside.  It's too close to skin color, yet not close enough to Skyrim skin color.  And it occurs to me as I type this that the contrast will be much more noticeable on darker or differently colored skins, since the tat will always be this exact color.

Spoiler

X3.png.8ececdb3a45786336af768f93a2cf317.png

Worst one in my opinion.  Couldn't get the location right on the model  I noticed that once the textures are applied to the lower butt or some parts of the leg the quality of the tat drops a lot, so I tried to keep this tat raised a bit.  The color and shape of the tat also just seems the worst.  The right side of the "lining: is clearly thicker on the right and it just doesn't seem good to me.

1 hour ago, majormagers said:

seeing the MXR related ones has almost made me impulse download this mod.

have you sent this to MXR he might want to use the squares of family friendliness on his videos to help with editing.

I have not.  I don't know what his contact info on LL is (or any site for that matter), or if it is really even him.  But with any luck it'll find its way to him eventually.  He's a big part of how I got into modding.

These days LL is just about the only site I'm on so my hands are kind of tied in reaching out to him.

On 2/17/2020 at 4:23 PM, Aki K said:

I have not.  I don't know what his contact info on LL is (or any site for that matter), or if it is really even him.  But with any luck it'll find its way to him eventually.  He's a big part of how I got into modding.

These days LL is just about the only site I'm on so my hands are kind of tied in reaching out to him.

If you post here he goes through them from time to time and sometimes makes it part of his videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MxRMods/

At the top of the posts there is a pinned one for the MxR Discord as well.

Henry is a huge reason why I got into Skyrim as much as I did. I would not have put so much effort into making 200+ mods work if I had not seen him do it.

Jeannie also made one of my favorite followers and I would love to see her go back and expand on the mod.

note: I watched MxR before Jeannie made it cool :P

1 hour ago, majormagers said:

If you post here he goes through them from time to time and sometimes makes it part of his videos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MxRMods/

At the top of the posts there is a pinned one for the MxR Discord as well.

Henry is a huge reason why I got into Skyrim as much as I did. I would not have put so much effort into making 200+ mods work if I had not seen him do it.

Jeannie also made one of my favorite followers and I would love to see her go back and expand on the mod.

note: I watched MxR before Jeannie made it cool :P

I will have to make a reddit or discord at some point I guess.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, shiagwen said:

Aki can you do me a favor and switch right leg and right breast tat in nine holds , the bear and the triangle ?

I'm not sure.  I don't have those patterns anymore so I'm not sure.  Gonna try something.  If it works I'll upload it here.

EDIT: Nah that plan didn't work.  I'd have to remake both of those tats.  Wouldn't be too hard but I can't guarantee it will be the exact same image.  Whatever I find on google with some color adjustments.  Which one exactly is the triangle?  None of the emblems look like a triangle to me.

Looking at the pack, I'd say you want Morthal and Windhelm swapped.  But the morthal symbol isn't a triangle it is a triskelion.

31 minutes ago, shiagwen said:

Aki can you do me a favor and switch right leg and right breast tat in nine holds  ?, the bear and the triangle , morthal, windhelm

Ok, this one has two new options.  Windhelm Thigh and Morthal Breast.  They should line up roughly the way they original version did.  It still includes the old options though if you want.  Let me know if it doesn't work or anything.

Aki Nine Holds Modified.rar

i

7 hours ago, Aki K said:

There are two new tats.  Go to the new ones, they should be at the bottom of the list.

please see what i have written.  i have not written : mortal legs is still at legs. i have written morthal breast is still at legs, at same spot as windhelm leg.

morthalö breast and windhelm leg ARE the two new ones.   they are both at the same spot, the right leg.

2 hours ago, shiagwen said:

i

please see what i have written.  i have not written : mortal legs is still at legs. i have written morthal breast is still at legs, at same spot as windhelm leg.

morthalö breast and windhelm leg ARE the two new ones.   they are both at the same spot, the right leg.

That's very strange.  I had to literally remake the tats from scratch.  I don't know how that could have happened.  I will remake them again.

Ok.  Try this one.  Recreated them from scratch again.  Altered the file names a bit to make sure I wouldn't get mixed up.  In game it should still call the new ones "Morthal Breast" and "Windhelm Thigh".  Let me know if it works or not.

If it doesn't work again please post screen shots so I can better understand what you are seeing vs what you want.

Aki Nine Holds Modified 2.rar

5 hours ago, Aki K said:

Ok.  Try this one.  Recreated them from scratch again.  Altered the file names a bit to make sure I wouldn't get mixed up.  In game it should still call the new ones "Morthal Breast" and "Windhelm Thigh".  Let me know if it works or not.

If it doesn't work again please post screen shots so I can better understand what you are seeing vs what you want.

Aki Nine Holds Modified 2.rar 175.92 kB · 1 download

sorry, but this looks really bad.  you cant correct it if you dont see it by yourself. 

windhelm and morthal are placed correct, but are too big, 20%.  solitude wolf is too little, 20% and too near to the nipple. falkreach deer is too high on leg it  is not same high as windhelm bear on other side.  rifton belly is placed correct, but too big, 20 %. a both ass tats size ok,  but not at same height. 

i fear i have to stay with the old version.

4 hours ago, shiagwen said:

sorry, but this looks really bad.  you cant correct it if you dont see it by yourself. 

windhelm and morthal are placed correct, but are too big, 20%.  solitude wolf is too little, 20% and too near to the nipple. falkreach deer is too high on leg it  is not same high as windhelm bear on other side.  rifton belly is placed correct, but too big, 20 %. a both ass tats size ok,  but not at same height. 

i fear i have to stay with the old version.

Most likely the case.  Sorry but I don't want to recreate the entire pack.  Alternatively though, there is a guide on this page on how to make your own tats.  Since you know what needs to be done, you could change the pack yourself following my guide.  I can give you the patterns I used if you want to give it a shot.  To change the other tats you'll have to get and modify the patterns yourself, since I don't have them anymore.  But for these that should be very easy.

Morthal.png

Windhelm.png

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Blender has recently gained a saner interface similar to that of BForArtists. Additionally there's a series of courses now provided by the developers of Blender on a service called Blender Studio. A subscription is required but that cost is pretty minimal €9.90/month, a reasonable amount I would say given what is available for that amount.

Namely access to all training, assets and films for that fee.

Edited by Leoosp