[mod] [CK2] Heroes and Villains - Discontinued

New update posted.

Note: You will want to delete the old HeroesVillains mod folder before you copy this one down - I changed some event numbers/files, and just doing an overwrite might leave a file that could cause a conflict.

I figured reducing some of the Harley event spam was important, as was fixing the other instances of text box overflow that were found, was worth packaging and releasing an update a little earlier than planned.

Update should be save game compatible with any games started with 0.3 or 0.4.

Change log:

Version 0.5
- Added a Mind Control targeted decision - no real negatives yet (other than simple failure), so self restraint recommended
- Added more Events
- A few fixes - reducing some Harley event spam, some additional text box overflow (thx Revolver Ocelot.)

3 hours ago, cherisong said:

Symbiote portraits seem to be changing every year. I don't think the event is checking properly that they already have a portrait, and is just adding more and more portraits every pulse.

I see what you mean. I'm not having it look to see if they've already got a portrait or not.

I'll fix that. Thanks for bringing it up.

2 hours ago, bodiefrog said:

This is great stuff so far.  I look forward to each update.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm hoping to have another save compatible update that's largely just more events (plus the fix mentioned above) for release this Sunday - but I've a friend going through a rough period in his life and I've agreed to do some heavy drinking with him, so this weekend may disappear in the blink of an eye.

Testing the next release. It'll be save game compatible with anything from 0.3 up.

Assuming all goes well, it should be released tomorrow.

I'm also thinking about adding a building in the future that will allow me to incorporate some brothel mechanisms. Something similar to what was in DWR, but with some new ideas mixed in. It'd have a similar event chain as well comparable to the Bordello Improvement events.

I'm thinking of making it a tavern first, with the upgrades potentially adding rooms for servicing clients. So that way, while it would have some clear crossover, it should avoid any Bordello building conflicts with DWF.

I've also some content that never made my last DWR release, that I may incorporate down the road as well. This is more pie in the sky type considerations, but I figured I'd mention it.

Is it intended that Harly keeps hitting on me...

then hitting me literally with her bat because i have another "girlfriend"

then leaves me for like a month

just to restart the cycle again?

its kinda painfull if your always get relieved as a general becaus shes hurting you

i mean its somewhat fun....  it plays right into here madness

oh my god... do i suffer from stockholm syndrome?

btw...

whats going on Patrol for?... nothing seems to happen there... must be a peacfull kingdome i live in?

played ~40 years.. 3 games...
Hero events fired so far... Power Girl shows up.. Two-Six shows up... Harley shows up

whent Traing till i couldnt... whent on Patrol nothing happend

Harly keeps beating me if a have a girlfriend

Did marry BatGirl of to one of my sons.. nothing noticable

Did marry BlackWiddow of to one of my sons.. nothing noticable

What happens (or should something happen) if you marry them of?

so far i like it...

who dosnt like girls joining their court

51 minutes ago, Aasimar said:

Is it intended that Harly keeps hitting on me...

then hitting me literally with her bat because i have another "girlfriend"

then leaves me for like a month

just to restart the cycle again?

its kinda painfull if your always get relieved as a general becaus shes hurting you

i mean its somewhat fun....  it plays right into here madness

oh my god... do i suffer from stockholm syndrome?

btw...

whats going on Patrol for?... nothing seems to happen there... must be a peacfull kingdome i live in?

played ~40 years.. 3 games...
Hero events fired so far... Power Girl shows up.. Two-Six shows up... Harley shows up

whent Traing till i couldnt... whent on Patrol nothing happend

Harly keeps beating me if a have a girlfriend

Did marry BatGirl of to one of my sons.. nothing noticable

Did marry BlackWiddow of to one of my sons.. nothing noticable

What happens (or should something happen) if you marry them of?

so far i like it...

who dosnt like girls joining their court

If you're a hero, Harley has higher expectations for you, and as such, doesn't like it when you've too many lovers. If you're a villain, she still doesn't like it, but is more tolerant and less likely to flip on you.

With the next update, it should happen a little less frequently. Not because Harley is any less crazy, but because of the added events to potentially be pulled upon.

When you go on patrol - right now, it should be giving you a modifier that reduces revolt risk within your realm, as folks feel happy and safe. The next update will add another mission type, and I've a quality of life improvement of sorts that will allow you to repeat a mission instead of having to go and trigger another decision (unless you want to change up your type of mission). I'm still tinkering with this some. It's meant more for giving some fringe benefits than a real random event system at this point, but that is subject to change.

If you marry someone off, nothing special should really happen. If they're still alive, it may trigger some events still for them. Looks like you hit most of the hero ones that existed so far. The update I'll be posting today does include more events. Some of them are going to be rare, but I think that'll make it more interesting in the long run.

I did a test run last night, made a small tweak and I'm getting ready to test that tweak out. If all goes well, I'll be posting the next version in a couple hours.

Getting ready to post the update.

It should be compatible with saved games that were from 0.3 to this version (0.6)

Change Log:
Version 0.6
- Added more events
- Added another option to the Mission decision (tech research - requires learning 10+)
- Added more to the Mind control targeted decision. Bad stuff can now happen. Especially if your target is strong mentally.
- The Go on a Mission decision that is chosen, now includes an event option that allows you to repeat it. Removing the need to redo the decision.
- Fix - Added an ai will do check to the Custom Image decision, were if the ai already has one, it won't want another. (thx Cherisong)
- Fix - Noticed that Nicknames weren't appearing as expected on named NPCs, found out I was using an older method, now using the recommended method.

Whew. Back online! Bought a new motherboard and went to install it Monday. Turned out it was a dud and finally got my new one in today and installed. So I'm behind where I was hoping to be, but I shall resume work some time this weekend (need to get my gaming fix in first).

2 hours ago, zia said:

Ok, so I ran into a bug, or incompatibility with Dark World Tentacles. If you are of the dagon religion Vulture seems to spawn as a women. Still has his portrait, just the wrong gender. 

He's set to female = no on character creation, so I'm guessing it's an incompatibility somehow. If Cheri Song (Cheri's the DWT mod creator, right?) has an idea as to the cause, and it's something I can put a check in for, then I'm more than willing to work it in.

This happens because characters of the tentacle religion or tentacle culture automatically spawn as female tentacle slaves. It should have been fixed with the latest update, since it no longer changes any character with the no_sexytimes_allowed character flag. With the next update, male characters with the special_npc character flag will also be excluded.

12 hours ago, Cheri Song said:

This happens because characters of the tentacle religion or tentacle culture automatically spawn as female tentacle slaves. It should have been fixed with the latest update, since it no longer changes any character with the no_sexytimes_allowed character flag. With the next update, male characters with the special_npc character flag will also be excluded.

All of Heroes and Villains are created with the no_sexytimes_allowed character flags, to provide compatibility with DWF since both mods have a Spend Time With.

If that doesn't seem to be working for some reason, I'll go and add the special_npc flag as well to see if it helps.

It seems that on_action events for new holders fire INSIDE of the create_character block, before any further commands run from the parent event. This is why zia was getting weird behavior. I checked with lockeslylcrit and it looks like you need to assign the special_npc flag INSIDE the create_character block, like so:

create_character = {
  name = "Glitterhoof"
  dynasty = none
  culture = horse
  female = yes
  age = 20
  flag = special_npc
}

If you do this, my script should be able to catch it and stop appropriately.

8 minutes ago, Cheri Song said:

It seems that on_action events for new holders fire INSIDE of the create_character block, before any further commands run from the parent event. This is why zia was getting weird behavior. I checked with lockeslylcrit and it looks like you need to assign the special_npc flag INSIDE the create_character block, like so:

create_character = {
  name = "Glitterhoof"
  dynasty = none
  culture = horse
  female = yes
  age = 20
  flag = special_npc
}

If you do this, my script should be able to catch it and stop appropriately.

Sounds good. I'll make that change in the next release.

It's also worth noting that flag = special_npc will prevent any created characters from spawning with the racial traits when DWF seeding is set to full or full regional. You can add in a separate flag for Cheri to catch if you want to spawn in generic characters that wont be prevented from getting the racial traits/portraits, but will be prevented from being tentacle sluts.

I think I've the next update just about ready. It'll have the flag change above for improved DWT compatibility along with several other things.

I'll be play testing it Monday. If it goes well, I should have it posted later that night or Tuesday.

Sorry about that. Posted a day later than planned because I of course decided to add an event yesterday.

Change Log.

Version 0.7
- New NPCs
- More events

- NPC flag modification for improved Dark World Tentacle compatibility

- New decision for players that allows some mod setting changes. Such as turning off the respawn feature for NPCs.

2 hours ago, zia said:

So I downloaded the new update, and ran into one of the new events. It looks like Astrid spawns with Hiccup's portrait.

Bah. I bet it's a copy-paste issue that I didn't edit fully. I'll take a look at it in the morning.

On 8/1/2019 at 2:41 AM, Bloodly said:

I'm curious.  If I use this but don't declare myself as a Hero/Villain, will anyone show up at all?

If you don't declare, it won't stop other rulers from declaring and potentially calling in other heroes or villains. The downside is that the ai can only call in generic heroes or villains, so you won't see any named NPCs.

Not declaring probably keeps you from seeing most of the event content.

Without declaring, you'll see some other rulers declare themselves as heroes or villains, have a chance at a very small pool of events, and still have some potential decisions.

I'll add more non-hero and villain specific events as the mod grows, but right now, it'd likely feel extremely empty without declaring.

On 7/31/2019 at 9:07 PM, zia said:

So I downloaded the new update, and ran into one of the new events. It looks like Astrid spawns with Hiccup's portrait.

Found the issue. My images are off one as I overwrote Two-Six. So Two-Six, Astrid, and Hiccup will be wrong. I'll get a fix posted later tonight.