[mod] [CK2] Heroes and Villains - Discontinued

[CK2] Heroes and Villains - Discontinued

NOTE: In order to make my life easier, this mod has been merged into the Dark World Reborn mod.

Dark World Reborn offers a number of Game Rule options, so if you only like the Heroes and Villains stuff, you can turn off most of the other parts.

The information below is regarding the last stand alone version of Heroes and Villains.

About this mod

Heroes and Villains is a stand alone mod for Crusader Kings 2.

It has no DLC requirements, however, if you do have the Reapers Due DLC, then part of the mod will utilize some of its content.

This mod is NOT lore friendly.

What's in this mod?

• Be a hero or villain (this is optional, however a portion of the game play looks for one or the other)
    • Rulers have the ability to identify themselves as a hero or a villain (trait via Decision)
    • Declare a Nemesis (via Targeted Decision - right clicking on the target's portrait)
    • Recruit other heroes or villains like yourself.
      • Requires a Lair or Hall, recruit henchmen (Villains) or sidekicks (Heroes)
      • Due to only having 4 options, and one being a generic villain or hero, it will only list up to 3 named recruit options. Check back after hiring one of the 3 named and another name may then appear.
      • Not every NPC in the game comes via recruitment. A number of them come through random events.
  • New traits
    • Some related to heroes and villains, such as Agile, Mind Control, or Resilience
    • Some related to races, such as symbiotes, demon-kin, or therianthropes
    • And a trio of age cheat traits for those wanting to use the Ruler Designer to build your own ruler
  • Construct special buildings
    • Lairs and Halls for use by any heroes or villains
    • Great Inn - an investment to help your economy - additional game play interactions coming
    • Wizard Tower - additional game play interactions coming
  • Tweak some mod settings via a Decision
    • Why not a game rule? - because that seemed to confuse people, so now it's just a Descision
    • Default: Named NPCs respawn is on, you can turn it off
    • Default: Bestiality is off, you can turn it on
    • Default: Symbiotes/Tentacle-kin is on, you can turn it off
  • Random Events
    • Some related to heroes or villains you may have recruited
    • Others meant to add variety to game play in general
  • Visit the Wizard Tower to shop for potions or artifacts, recruit magic based heroes/villains, or even train to become a mage if your learning is high enough.
  • Potential nicknames for those who are heroic or villainous
  • Spend time with your lover/spouse/consort/concubine
  • Numerous quality of life options such as being able to use a Targeted Decision to remove a custom portrait you don't like, or forbid a target from giving themselves one at all
  • And there is more that isn't listed above.

Compatibility

• Tested and played using Crusader Kings 2, version 3.3.0

I rarely play with mods other than my own, so I don't often know if this mod is fully compatible with another mod or not. Items listed below I've either put some checks in the code to try and account for their presence, or I've heard from others that it's fine. So take this list with a grain of salt.

• Christianity - no known issues
  • Dark World Fantasy - no known issues
  • Dark World Tentacles - no known issues (after compatibility update from HV 0.7)
  • Stand Alone Physical Traits (SAPT) - zero issues

Who's in the mod so far

Note: people listed can be introduced to the game through one of two methods - recruitment (after building the hall or lair), or through events. Some will be eligible to be found through both methods.

Spoiler
  • Harley Quinn
  • Poison Ivy
  • Vulture
  • Batgirl
  • Black Widow
  • Red Robin
  • Spider Gwen
  • Spiderman
  • Venom
  • Two-Six
  • Power Girl
  • Hiccup
  • Astrid
  • The Joker
  • Hela
  • Mister Incredible
  • Elastigirl
  • Violet Parr
  • Dash Parr
  • Syndrome
  • Starfire
  • Raven
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Rogue

Work in Progress

- work on the Visit the Grand Inn content

- remove the 'Do a Mission' decision event, and instead have Decisions where you can visit the Hall or Lair (dependent on what your ruler is), and in there, you'd be able to do what's currently part of 'Do a Mission' as well as some other potential planned actions.

- Mixed in with the above will be more events for existing npcs and content.

Pipe Dreams

- Player start event that allows custom image and trait assignment

Change Log

Spoiler

Version 1.1
- Added new spells
- Added new mage training specializations
- Visit the Grand Inn content expanded (more still to be done, but worth a visit or two)
- Added more events
- Fix: Some potions were missing _including_me as part of the target options for those held.

Version 1.0
- NOTE: NOT SAVE GAME COMPATIBLE WITH ANY PRIOR VERSIONS
- Updated Lair and Hall so it does not have to be rebuilt if the new ruler is not yet a hero or villain, uses is_active_trigger to gain key bonuses
- Visit the Wizard Tower, where you can go shopping, recruit a magic based Hero or Villain, or learn magic yourself (Mage training first stage only. Specializations incomplete.)
- Hyena-kin can now take a custom portrait if they are exposed
- Updated Mod setting decision to allow additional races that can be disabled (therianthropes and demon-kin)
- Updated Mod setting decision to turn off Wizard Towers
- Moved Raven from a hall recruitment option to a Wizard Tower recruitment (with the potential to be a hero or a villain)
- Added Scarlet Witch in Wizard Tower recruitment, can be hero or villain
- Visit the Grand Inn (Not really recommended, content incomplete for release)

Version 0.9.1

- Fix: static portrait gfx file had an error in it that prevented some new custom images from working properly. (Thx Selvs)

Version 0.9
- More events
- New artifact
- New decisions
- New NPCs
- Fix - Some localization text associated with the Venom/Spiderman rival battle.

Version 0.8.1
- Fix - Hela was missing a trigger check to prevent her from potentially spawning multiple times. (thx TentaclePentacle)
- One new event

Version 0.8
- More events
- New NPCs
- New decision for NPCs with custom images, you can right click on their portrait and cycle through image variations if they have more than one
- Fix - an error with Two-Six, Astrid, and Hiccups images (thx Zia)
- Fix - Fixed a localization issue with an event (thx Aasimar)

Version 0.7
- New NPCs
- More events

- NPC flag modification for improved Dark World Tentacle compatibility

- New decision for players that allows some mod setting changes. Such as turning off the respawn feature for NPCs.

Version 0.6
- Added more events
- Added another option to the Mission decision (tech research - requires learning 10+)
- Added more to the Mind control targeted decision. Bad stuff can now happen. Especially if your target is strong mentally.
- The Go on a Mission decision that is chosen, now includes an event that allows you to repeat it. Removing the need to redo the decision.
- Fix - Added an ai will do check to the Custom Image decision, were if the ai already has one, it won't want another. (thx Cherisong)
- Fix - Noticed that Nicknames weren't appearing as expected on named NPCs, found out I was using an older method, fixed to use recommended method

Version 0.5
- Added a Mind Control targeted decision - no real negatives yet (other than simple failure), so self restraint recommended
- Added more Events
- A few fixes - reducing some Harley event spam, some additional text box overflow (thx Revolver Ocelot.)

Version 0.4
- Villainous Lairs and Heroic Halls have been turned into buildings (Castle, Tribal, Nomad, Family Palace)
- Some new events
- No going on missions if in hiding (fix - thanks palji for reporting it)
- Was missing a handful of images (fix, thx palji)
- Took a stab at improving a decision that may have been getting misused by the ai.
- Adjusted a few text boxes that had text cut off.
- Fixed a recruiting trigger that was not working as intended.
Version 0.3
- It came from outer space! Tentacle-kin reappear, re-imagined.
- New villain, new hero
- New events
- Ability for player to remove custom images via targeted decision on anyone who has one (related to this mod)
Version 0.2
- Updated 'Go on a Mission' decision, finishing the On Patrol (hero) and Extortion (villain) options
- Added some more random events
- Added another construction level to the hall and lairs
- Spend time with your lovers/spouse/consort (should not conflict with DWF)
- Identify a nemesis once a year (makes them count as a foe/rival for game purposes)
Version 0.1
- Initial release

Special Thanks

- ReMeDy who's work in custom portraits I still use

- Genericlogin for his Christianity mod that got me interested in modding for CK2 in the first place

- ngppgn's work on making a larger event window (original resource: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/74137-bigger-events/)

- lockeslylcrit for going over some approaches to improve compatibility for players

- Lover's Lab for having this environment.
- Paradox for making CK2 so mod friendly and the continued support and content releases.

Looking for some feedback - having played the mod isn't necessary.

Heroes and Villains have a decision option of 'Go on a Mission' which is intended to provide some simple modifiers. AI Heroes or Villains will use this once a year, while players should be able to use it up to twice a year (depends on what they're doing and whether it has a random days value with it).

Right now, both have two options. Both Heroes and Villains can choose to undergo combat training, which helps improve their Combat Rating and other related aspects, with 10 stages worth to obtain. Heroes can go on Patrol, which makes people happy with the hero, and lowers revolt risks. Villains can choose Extortion, which upsets town and church folks, but brings in some monthly money.

Any ideas out there for another one or two things to add as options?

Constructive criticism, I find having to click "Go on a Mission" every few months really tedious. I would much prefer it if my character was assumed to go on missions automatically after becoming a hero/villain, much like how your character is assumed to be spending their time doing certain things when taking a Way of Life focus. I only want to be notified about skill upgrades and relevant choices or events.

5 hours ago, cherisong said:

Constructive criticism, I find having to click "Go on a Mission" every few months really tedious. I would much prefer it if my character was assumed to go on missions automatically after becoming a hero/villain, much like how your character is assumed to be spending their time doing certain things when taking a Way of Life focus. I only want to be notified about skill upgrades and relevant choices or events.

There are random events that are going to be more like what you're looking for in the next update, which are specific to a hero or villain (well, right now villains appear to be getting the most love for the next update).

The intention of the Go on a Mission option is to give you the opportunity to have a measure of control.  It's why I asked for some additional ideas to include in it. If I don't get any and it remains as it is, then I might do away with it. So, while it's sort of on the fence right now, I'll probably be a little slow in pulling it, as I like the idea of being able to select a short term (6-9 months) action that'll give me some kind of result. If anything, I'll probably remove it from being listed among the important decisions.

And it shouldn't be every few months. It should be at most twice a year, perhaps only once depending on what you select and the randomization (for combat training specifically which should be 6-9 months each time its selected).

Heh. You can tell I'm rusty in packaging things. I can't believe no one pointed out that I totally forgot the .mod file that should be in the .zip file.

Updated file to be posted here in the next few minutes - it's still the original release version, as the next update is in the middle of changes that isn't ready to package.

Alright, the next update is getting close to being posted. It adds some more random events, completes the Patrol and Extortion options of the mission decision, and a few other little things. Right now the update looks like it'll be more slanted content wise towards Villains.

I've also finally gotten around to the 'Spend Time With' overhaul that I always intended to make in the old Dark World Reborn. After a message exchange with lockeslylcrit, it shouldn't conflict with anyone who's now using Dark World Fantasy. If you're using both mods, it should default to the DWF version of 'Spend Time With', unless the one you're spending time with is one of the npc's this game adds - which will then have it default to this mod's version.

This inclusion is the hold-up presently on the next release, as I forgot how fatiguing it can be when doing massive amounts of localization text.

I've another build just about ready. I'll be play testing it on Thursday and if all goes well, release it the following day.

Nothing too huge, just adding a little more of everything.

More events, more npc's, another trait (meaning it won't be save game compatible).

Update uploaded. It adds a new trait, so existing save games won't be compatible. See the change log in the first post for more info.

Mind Control decisions didn't make this release, as I didn't like how I was doing them. I'm going to revisit it, using opinion modifiers with the obedient flag, as I think that'd fit better.

I also think that having the lair or hall as modifiers just isn't working like I wanted, so I'm going to make them into buildings that can be upgraded for every government type.

Plus, more events and more characters to add.

Great to see you back. Just did a quick test run. Love the long texts, very immersive, well done.

Just dropping a few things I noticed:

I had a whole bunch of "empty portrait numbers" show up, 59-61.

I saw some people with portraits (53, 56 & 57, I believe), but I didn't know why or if I am supposed to see them even.

After the first time, Harleys hyena event gave me three options (simply "Alright Harley" and the two enable/disable ones from the first time). Haven't seen any of the optional bestiality content actually show up yet.

It's possible to go on a mission while in hiding / travelling, not sure if that's intended.

Caveat: I play with a lot of other mods.

Looking forward to where the mod is going!

2 hours ago, palji said:

Great to see you back. Just did a quick test run. Love the long texts, very immersive, well done.

Just dropping a few things I noticed:

I had a whole bunch of "empty portrait numbers" show up, 59-61.

I saw some people with portraits (53, 56 & 57, I believe), but I didn't know why or if I am supposed to see them even.

After the first time, Harleys hyena event gave me three options (simply "Alright Harley" and the two enable/disable ones from the first time). Haven't seen any of the optional bestiality content actually show up yet.

It's possible to go on a mission while in hiding / travelling, not sure if that's intended.

Caveat: I play with a lot of other mods.

Looking forward to where the mod is going!

I appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look to see why the portraits didn't show up correctly.

Those portraits should only show up if you've gotten one of the aliens (Venom or Two-Six), and they've had children - who then decided to no longer pass as human.

If you didn't get Venom or Two-Six, then I need to ask if you started up this mod with a game you already had saved, for if you did, then it's the trait bug that happens when adding a mod with new traits to a game that's already in progress.

The bestiality content is in my wip folder (not released). It'll be coming soon.

I've another update I'm ready to test, so I'll see if I need to modify anything to address what you shared.

What a nice looking Mod...

You dont know you whant something... till you see it^^

I will give it a try after my Playthrou with Baldursgate 1+2.. so it could be a while...

But it realy sounds promising

btw.. the Hero looks like a medival Batman...i love it.. almost as cool as Batman Ninja (great Anime)

Which gives me an idea...

Wouldnt it be great, if could choose your Hero/Villain alterego?

Batman/Joker

Superman/Lex Luthor

Batwoman/Catwoman

ect.

8 hours ago, dewguru said:

Those portraits should only show up if you've gotten one of the aliens (Venom or Two-Six), and they've had children - who then decided to no longer pass as human.

If you didn't get Venom or Two-Six, then I need to ask if you started up this mod with a game you already had saved, for if you did, then it's the trait bug that happens when adding a mod with new traits to a game that's already in progress.

I had 0.1 installed previously, but removed it prior to install and started a new game.

Just loaded a save from yesterday to check: Venom did show up, but found at least one character with portrait 57 that was 23 years older than him (and thus can't be his child I guess).

Just did a quick test:

New game with all other mods deactivated to rule out them interfering.

Didn't see any static portraits around after startup.

Let run for a bit over a year without interacting (never chose sides or anything).

Found several (pre-existing?) people with random portraits 57-64 assigned.

5 hours ago, palji said:

I had 0.1 installed previously, but removed it prior to install and started a new game.

Just loaded a save from yesterday to check: Venom did show up, but found at least one character with portrait 57 that was 23 years older than him (and thus can't be his child I guess).

Just did a quick test:

New game with all other mods deactivated to rule out them interfering.

Didn't see any static portraits around after startup.

Let run for a bit over a year without interacting (never chose sides or anything).

Found several (pre-existing?) people with random portraits 57-64 assigned.

Hrm. Do those people have a character modifier on them that says 'Out of the Shadows'?

That's the only way they should be able to try and give themselves a custom image. It does look like I had a difference in my WIP and what I packaged, as there are a handful of missing portraits - but it sounds like I may have a decision that isn't firing correctly.

10 hours ago, Aasimar said:

What a nice looking Mod...

You dont know you whant something... till you see it^^

I will give it a try after my Playthrou with Baldursgate 1+2.. so it could be a while...

But it realy sounds promising

btw.. the Hero looks like a medival Batman...i love it.. almost as cool as Batman Ninja (great Anime)

Which gives me an idea...

Wouldnt it be great, if could choose your Hero/Villain alterego?

Batman/Joker

Superman/Lex Luthor

Batwoman/Catwoman

ect.

The hero is a medieval Batman image I found, and the villain is a medieval Doctor Doom. That's just a flavor image related to the hero/villain path you may choose to take.

Alas, there isn't enough actual themed medieval artwork to keep this mod semi-realistic, so it definitely has heroes and villains in their non-medieval garb. Thus why I slapped the non-lore friendly tag on the mod. It's more for fun, than anything overly serious. I'm aiming to keep things like flight or eye lasers out of the events, so it's a little easier to imagine them running around during the appropriate age.

And I've thought about the alter ego part, where you could choose someone to play, and I could perhaps then have it assign you traits based on it, but that's probably more a pipe dream than something I'll ever work on adding in. When I first made Dark World, I suffered from trying to do too many things. I got a little better with Dark World Reborn, yet it was still largely filled with untapped potential. So much so that you can see where Dark World Fantasy has trimmed a number of things.

So I'm sticking with a narrower path at the moment, so when I get tired of working on the mod and decide to hang it up, it'll at least be better off than my prior mods - in that it'll have more realized potential than unrealized potential within it.

2 hours ago, dewguru said:

Hrm. Do those people have a character modifier on them that says 'Out of the Shadows'?

That's the only way they should be able to try and give themselves a custom image. It does look like I had a difference in my WIP and what I packaged, as there are a handful of missing portraits - but it sounds like I may have a decision that isn't firing correctly.

Found the issue. I'm testing things now and I'll publish an update tonight or tomorrow that addresses it.

Issue was folks who weren't alien spawn, were coming out of the shadows.

Na...

Laser Eyes or flight would be a way over the top...

I dont wanna be a superhero^^

I thought more like getting a new picture for your char...

and maybe some traits depending on the hero/villain you or the nps pick

Like a decision how you can pick the way Harley Quinn looks like

Then you can chose the kind of Hero or Villain you wanna be + give him some traits attributed with that kind of Hero/Villain

Something like

Batman = Shrewd+Brawny

Superman = Strong + Holy Warrior

Wonderwoman = Strong + Shieldmaiden

Ra's al Ghul  = Immortal

soo kinda the same thing you thought about

this are just some thoughts of mine... dont feel obligated to do this...

its your mod..

and iam happy your back on CK2 modding..

because i liked your work so far... a lot

p.s.

maybe some pics
https://www.pinterest.de/jarmantorr/medieval/

https://imgur.com/gallery/wGj46

The 0.4 update that was posted, should work fine with any 0.3 save games.

Here's the change log.

Version 0.4
- Villainous Lairs and Heroic Halls have been turned into buildings (Castle, Tribal, Nomad, Family Palace)
- Some new events
- No going on missions if in hiding (fix - thanks palji for reporting it)
- Was missing a handful of images (fixed, thx palji)
- Fixed a decision that was being used by a wider than intended audience.
- Adjusted a few text boxes that had text cut off.
- Fixed a recruiting trigger that was not working as intended.

Latest version of CK2 and Heroes and Villains 0.4

The events for Harley and her hyenas keep firing ad infinitum as well as her event where she becomes friends with Supergirl.

Her first event with Power Girl has a quite big description, bigger than what the event window allows for, though I don't know if it could have anything to do with my 1360x768 monitor, if screen resolution plays no part on it I would recommend splitting that event into two at "Turns out Harley heard of Kara..."

ck2_11.png

1 hour ago, Revolver "Revolver" Ocelot said:

Latest version of CK2 and Heroes and Villains 0.4

The events for Harley and her hyenas keep firing ad infinitum as well as her event where she becomes friends with Supergirl.

Her first event with Power Girl has a quite big description, bigger than what the event window allows for, though I don't know if it could have anything to do with my 1360x768 monitor, if screen resolution plays no part on it I would recommend splitting that event into two at "Turns out Harley heard of Kara..."

What response are you using with the hyena's? I'll take another look at the friends one. I thought I improved that one, but it was either 0.4 or it's the current version I'm working on that addresses the issue. I'll look at 0.4 that's uploaded and compare it with my present build.

And thanks on the text box overflow. I found a handful in my last plat test, and I figured I may have been missing some others.

Edit: I looked and 0.4 doesn't have the Harley/PG friend fix, so it's already done for the next release, which I'll look at packaging and posting later tonight or tomorrow. I'm in the middle of adding some events, so I want to finish them up before I package it for an update.

Edit 2: Ouch. I see the issue with Harley's hyenas. I'll add that in the next update. Thanks for bringing it up.