IMCN Expansion

dogface

I'm currently working on expanding IMCN-NV to have better chem effects and include a medical system simlar to Med-Tec or Real Injuries. The new chem features are mostly done, but I've barely started on the injury treatment system. Anyways, I wanted to detail some of my changes so any IMCN users can offer feedback, ideas or criticism. Keep in mind, I started this as a chem overhaul, but when chems overlapped so much with nutrition and sleep requirements I decided to make it an expansion of IMCN, then realised so many chems overlap with meds that I realised I'd have to make it a chem AND meds overhaul. And since meds overlap with medical treatment, it grew to need a medical system too... anyway...

The new chem features...

A CNS Index - A script tracks how 'up' or 'down' you are as a result of the sum of your chem usage and awards effects based on that (so for example, all the stimulant effects are only applied if you've taken enough stimulants to raise your CNS but haven't taken enough depressants to bring it back down). Naturally, there are a range of 'sedated' effects for being lower than neutral on the CNS index too.

Disassociation - Another tracked attribute, and the only way of gaining the damage-reduction bonuses (which are no longer applied to Med-X). Disassociation is mainly raised by taking stims and downers at the same time, but alcohol also adds a little and later I'll add some new chems which raise it a lot on their own.

Anaesthesia - Does nothing, at the moment ; but the plan is to require a certain level of anaesthesia to perform surgery on yourself. Disassociation adds to anaesthesia, and painkillers (like med-x) can add to it directly.

-- Since most chem effects are a product of your CNS Index, Disassociation or Anaesthesia value, the vanilla chem effects are considered to be part of the initial "rush". Hitting some jet, for example, will directly boost your AP for twenty seconds or so, but after it wears off your CNS will still be high and you'll still get a minor AP boost until it wears off (which is like, eight hours later). Therefore, there are no vanilla chem effects for anything that isn't inhaled, smoked or injected.

Drug Toxicity - Absolute caps on how much of a chem you can take before getting adverse affects (some including death), so that the player can't take 1,000 ultrajets and 1,000 med-x's to cancel each other out. Also limits how much certain chems can affect your CNS ; for example, you can't get much further than "Perked" on caffeine before you suffer caffeine toxicity.

Addiction Revamp - Doctors no longer cure addiction, and you get a grace period after your chems wear off before demanding more. Addictions come in various stages of severity, and to break an addiction you must go cold turkey for a certain amount of gametime (with the effects decreasing the longer you go without). You still become addicted via random chance apon taking a drug, as in game terms "addiction" refers to the psychological craving for more of the drug, not the physical dependence on it. Some addictions are mere nuisances, some are very very bad. Jet addiction, as per FO2 lore, is incurable (although going cold turkey for long enough will reduce it to a much more managable debuff).

Dependency - Some chems (so far just caffeine and Med-X) cause dependency as well as addiction. Longer-term overuse will result in becoming dependant, which can feature some nasty effects. Dependency has no random chance attached to it, use Med-X once a day or drink more than three nuka-colas a day and you'll eventually become dependent. Reduce your intake and your dependency will slowly weaken and disappear.

Tolerance - Some chems also track your usage to decide your tolerance, which will decrease the chems ability to move your CNS Index, disassociation value or anaesthesia value as it becomes higher. It generally also raises the toxicity cap.

And that' about it, until I start adding in some new non-vanilla chems, and recipes to cook your own chems. Here's my very preliminary plans for the injury system ; this is still very much in-planning so all advice and criticisms will be very much welcomed and listened to.

Doctor's Bag Menu - On picking up your first Doctor's Bag it changes into a "Doctor's Bag" item which opens the medical menu, where you can fiddle with your medical supply storage, or open the surgery menu to heal injuries. Additional doctors bags are automatically ransacked for some random medical loot, although I put in a check to let you hold extras if you're doing that Bitter Springs doctor's bag fetchquest (not sure if there's any other quests requiring doctor's bags).

Doctor's Bag Storage - Chems and medical instruments can be 'placed' in the doctors bag, and will be required for surgeries and such. Right now I'm having trouble trying to figure out a way of letting you drop your doctors bag and having it remember what's inside it. I could store the values, but what if the player goes and picks up a new, different doctors back? Should his scalpel, forceps etc. quantum leap into that one? Should the DB automatically empty whenever you drop it (would make it annoying if you want to keep it loaded and stored in your gear cupboard). Should I just make it a quest item? (something I find annoying and want to avoid) Basically, if there's a way of letting a dropped object store some quest variables in itself, I'd love to know how.

Chem Storage - Part of the DB storage, and I'm partway through making the ungodly number of menus this requires. You can store your chems in the bag, to cut down inventory clutter, and you can empty all your liquid type chems into vials in the DB (reducing weight), and loading them up into empty syringes or jetcans in your inventory whenever you feel like it.

- And the doctoring functions are...

Healing Crippled Limbs - I'm not 100% sure on this one. I'm thinking it should require a medical brace, and perhaps be considered a surgery (resetting the bone or whatever) ; so you need to be somewhat anaesthetised or run a high chance of failure and health damage. I'm also open to the idea of having different degrees of "injury" (sprain, fracture, break, etc.) which are determined randomly and must be treated differently apon your crippling and can increase if your limb takes more damage.

Crippled Torso - Not sure whether to consider this an internal organ injury or a broken rib. Maybe I'll give it a randomchance to decide which organ exactly to mess with. Should definitely require a surgery of some kind to be fixed, although I'm not sure what vanilla consumables should be used.

Head Injury - Concussion. No way of healing it, but it heals automatically apon a good night's rest. The blurring vision effect can be bypassed by use of certain drugs, however.

That's it for the vanilla injuries. What else would you want to see added? I can check for differences over time in the player's health to apply wounds when damage is taken. Should they be abstracted like in Arwen's Med-Tec, or tracked as individual wounds requiring individual treatment? Or even both, individually tracked 'major wounds' and an abstracted 'cuts and scrapes' value? I might even figure out a way to determine how the wounds were caused and where they hit, leading to things like "Severe Gunshot Wound in Right Shoulder" and etc. Infection and blood-poisoning from failing to treat your wounds in a timely fashion?

How about disease, parasites, etc? Are there any you'd like to see added, what should they do, how should they be contracted and how should they be treated?

Right now I'm having trouble trying to figure out a way of letting you drop your doctors bag and having it remember what's inside it. I could store the values' date=' but what if the player goes and picks up a new, different doctors back? Should his scalpel, forceps etc. quantum leap into that one? Should the DB automatically empty whenever you drop it (would make it annoying if you want to keep it loaded and stored in your gear cupboard). Should I just make it a quest item? (something I find annoying and want to avoid) Basically, if there's a way of letting a dropped object store some quest variables in itself, I'd love to know how.[/quote']

Whether or not my suggestion here is workable for you depends on how you have things set up at the moment. My suggestion would be to create several (five? ten?) unique persistent versions of your new Doctor's Bag item and place them in one of the game's many dev-cells. Since it's a persistent reference, when it's dropped it should keep its ID instead of getting a new FF one, so you can should be able to set and check variables on it without them getting removed.

Healing Crippled Limbs - I'm not 100% sure on this one. I'm thinking it should require a medical brace' date=' and perhaps be considered a surgery (resetting the bone or whatever) ; so you need to be somewhat anaesthetised or run a high chance of failure and health damage. I'm also open to the idea of having different degrees of "injury" (sprain, fracture, break, etc.) which are determined randomly and must be treated differently apon your crippling and can increase if your limb takes more damage.[/quote']

I don't think you should require the brace. The player should be able to perform the surgery or whatever to start the injury healing without the brace, and they'd get a slightly lower stat hit or whatever. If they continue without the brace for a certain period of time, the injury can't heal properly and gets even worse than it was before.

Crippled Torso - Not sure whether to consider this an internal organ injury or a broken rib. Maybe I'll give it a randomchance to decide which organ exactly to mess with. Should definitely require a surgery of some kind to be fixed' date=' although I'm not sure what vanilla consumables should be used.[/quote']

Be careful requiring a surgery here, since I'm having trouble picturing someone doing surgery on their own chest. It just seems like it would be a bit... awkward.

Head Injury - Concussion. No way of healing it' date=' but it heals automatically apon a good night's rest.[/quote']

You may want to make it last more than one day (I think concussion symptoms normally last around three weeks) and if the player does much of anything during that period it should probably take even longer to wear off.

That's it for the vanilla injuries. What else would you want to see added? I can check for differences over time in the player's health to apply wounds when damage is taken. Should they be abstracted like in Arwen's Med-Tec' date=' or tracked as individual wounds requiring individual treatment? Or even both, individually tracked 'major wounds' and an abstracted 'cuts and scrapes' value? I might even figure out a way to determine how the wounds were caused and where they hit, leading to things like "Severe Gunshot Wound in Right Shoulder" and etc. Infection and blood-poisoning from failing to treat your wounds in a timely fashion?[/quote']

If you can track injuries in such a specific way, I say go for it. Are you going to make getting shot in the head instant death? "Severe Gunshot Wound in Face. -2 CHA." Then again, there's certainly in-game precedent for the player character surviving that sort of injury...

Curently all the "items" in the doctor's bag are stored as quest variables. I really don't know much about what's possible with object scripts, but I was hoping when a DB could be dropped the quest variables could be transferred to variables on its object script, then all set to zero on the quest. That way when a previously discarded DB is picked up, the objectscript variables could be transferred to the quest script. But I really have no clue if this is possible and haven't done any serious fiddling to find out yet. To be honest there isn't really any reason the player should be throwing DB's away and picking up new ones, but I want the failsafe in there in case they lose theirs and have to find a new one.

By "surgery" I don't mean open-bypass, it could be something as simple as bandaging up a wound, stabbing yourself in the lung with a valve, or something similar. Basically anything that rolls against medicine skill, uses up some items, requires you to be out of combat, maybe plays a little animation and maybe rolls against your anaesthesia too if it's more surgery-y than first aid-y. I'll try to balance it so that the player has a choice of skilling-up medicine and carrying around a bunch of doctoring crap for field-repairs, or carrying only a few first-aid items and being ready to limp home to the doctor when needed.

I like the idea of the brace increasing the recovery time once healing's started, but not actually starting it. I might just make limb-heals require heavy anaesthetic to keep you from passing out halfway through setting it. Maybe introduce a craftable and reusable "splint" item that can be made from leather belts and anything rigid, like plungers or tire irons.

Some realism will have to be sacrificed for gameplay, I don't think anyone will want to be stuck sitting around homebase for three game weeks, especially since I'm considering adding in blocks to prevent you from sleeping/waiting when you're stimmed up or not sleepy. I use damage-uppers on my game and rarely survive headshots, but any non-fatal but serious gunshots to the head will have to be assumed to have tumbled and deflected around in the sinus or jawbones if they're pistol-calibre, or maybe just grazed the head and chipped the skull if they're high-powered. Maybe I'll make some semi-permanent charisma debuffs for getting your face scarred and teeth knocked out (charima bonuses if you're a high-strength, like getting your ear bitten off in FO2), and set up Usanagi to provide dentures.

That's if I can figure out how to determine a wound's cause and target, that is. MedTec has trauma, burns and wounds, so I should be able to poke around those scripts and figure it out ; and I'm pretty sure I can get the location hit by storing the player's limb conditions and checking which one dropped each time a wound is registered, but that won't work if you get hit in a crippled area when more than one area is already crippled. In that case I think I'll just assign the hit randomly to a crippled area and the player will probably never know about it if I'm wrong.

Use an actual container? You click "Open Doctor's Bag" and what you actually do is open a permanent container stashed in some dev-cell somewhere. No variables needed except perhaps a ref variable so the game knows which container to open.

Never liked the No Sleep thing. I'm not tired enough to sleep, so I have to wait. And guess what happens when you wait twenty-four hours so you can do the next quest? You get tired! So now I'm suffering from Sleep Deprivation when there's a bed two feet away from me that I wasn't allowed to use. Let me lay down on the darn bed. Maybe I'm not going to Sleep, but why can't I Wait while on the bed? After a few hours I'll be tired and then I can Sleep.

And don't block waiting. Ever. Why would you do that?

Right, but if a DB is dropped how do I tell it which particular container it's bound to?

I was planning on blocking waiting and sleeping whenever the CNS index gets too high to simulate jet-fuelled restlessness (but cranking up the timescale to compensate). You can either run around in a jet-crazed frenzy until it wears off, or you can pop some downers to lower your CNS.

I was also going to make it consequence of Jet addiction, but slow the timescale to be extra evil (actually, during jet withdrawal the timescale randomly shifts back and foward). Jet addicts should only sleep or wait when they have a moderate amount of Jet in their system, or when they're bombed out on tranqs or using fixer (and even then I'll be a bastard and wake them up as soon as the chemicals start to balance out). I'm trying to make jet addiction a true impediment, and much more noticeable than a simple stat debuff (as an example, I occasionally TapControl 4 when you're craving jet. Bet that'll ruin your day if you were talking to Caesar with your shotgun out. I'm still looking for a way to randomly play the combat music and randomly make your friendly compass markers show up hostile to further fuck with the player). If you're a jet addict with no jet, you shouldn't be waiting 24 hours for some silly wasteland quest, you should be out finding jet. And if you're trying to get off Jet, you better have a bunch of food, water, fixer and tranquilisers stored up.

Blocking sleep just because you're not sleepy would mainly be so that when I add in a larger range of tranquilisers they can bypass the block, since there's not much else the player might want to do with them (aside from mixing with stim to raise disassociation for DR, since the low-CNS effects are uniformly pretty undesirable)

If these are going to be unpopular options I can certainly make sure they're disableable from the menu (IMCN has a pretty good system for deactivating any part of itself and I've been utilising it for all new features).

Use that single ref variable on the DB to link it to a specific container, and a quest variable to ensure you don't accidentally assign the same container twice.

Blocking Sleep in that situation is fine, but I still don't see why I can't sleep if I'm not tired. I could go right now and lay down on my bed. I wouldn't be able to fall asleep. But I'd close my eyes, and if I ever did get to the point at which I was tired, I would fall asleep. So the game would essentially do a Wait, but without changing the Sleep need at all in either direction. The only alternative to Sleep in these situations is to Wait, which as established will hit you with a penalty for not sleeping. Many times with Arwen's I've found myself Waiting for an hour, checking the bed, waiting another hour, and checking again until the game would let me Sleep. Blocking sleep in this way is only going to frustrate your user in the end.

I still don't see why you would block Wait. Look at it from a user's perspective: "I can't Wait? Huh? Oh well, I guess I'll have to actually wait. I think I'll go have a sandwich." And then they wander off and do something else while the game is running. The Wait feature is designed to allow the player to pass large amounts of time in which they would normally not be doing anything. This is a necessary feature because people tend to not enjoy games in which they are not doing anything. By disabling Wait, you are essentially saying "No, sorry, you have to actually sit and stare at your computer screen." If they wanted to do something in-game right then, they wouldn't be Waiting.

zippy, you make some good points. I'll poke around in the Sleep tracker and see if I can't come up with a delayed wait/sleep, but that's the tracker I understand the least. My plans to block wait are mainly just another way of making the chems seem "real" (+2 strength or -2 int or whatever are so easily forgotten while you're playing). I consider it more along the lines of "can't open the safe ;pop a mentat. Can't shoot; find some ammo. Can't wait; fix up your addictions or lower your stim with dope" situation ; just another primary need to be addressed before certain actions are available. I'll definitely make all the wait/sleep blocks toggleable though (except for jet cravings when harsh jet addiction is turned on ; I still plan to coerce the player into finding more jet in every possible way I can think of, without actually hurting their ability to hunt for jet by crippling their stats or borking up their screen with imods. I want that "You are starting crave Jet" messagebox to be scarier than a pack of mojave deathclaws chasing you into the Dunwich Building.

I also had some vague preliminary plans of recreating some functionality of an old FO3 mod called the "Pre-War reading primer" or something. You pick a pre-war book to read (it swapped them all out with random realworld book titles), wait some hours while sitting and when you're done it calculates how many pages you read. I figured that could be a cool option to have for consuming skillbooks (they're an ingestible, after all ; might as well give them some attention and stop the whole "just read a textbook in a fraction of a second while under heavy fire" thing from happening). So between reading, getting shitface plastered and ho'ing around with Sexout, there should be plenty to for a character to do in the late evening before bed.

@ kainschilde, when I used it last FWE was using an integrated version of RiPNo. Is that still what they've got? Because a lot of my ideas are based off their general format.

I'm not sure if that's what it is or not. I just know there was a item in your aid menu, or a hotkey you could use. If not in combat and in possession of the right materials (at least 1 stimpack each, medical braces for limbs, and surgical supplies for head and torso) you could do a full treatment of injured body parts. After a certain amount of time you might or might not get the medical brace back (dependent on your medical skill and how active you were). Surgical supplies are just consumed. If you didn't have the right perks and/or were in combat, you'd only do first aid. Still used the same supplies, but did less healing and reduced your chances of getting medical braces back afterward.

Arwen's does the same thing. Never cared for it because of the strange way FNV will sometimes think you're in combat even when you're not. I always thought it would be better to allow you to do even the complicated stuff in combat, but offset that by actually making it take time. So if you were actually in combat you'd get killed, and if it was just the game being stupid you wouldn't have to stand around and wait for the game to realize the bad guys are all dead.

Arwen's also (supposedly) has a chance to not get the Brace back (wouldn't know because I almost always Tag Medicine) and I don't like that either. It would be better to give you a Damaged Brace and allow you to repair it at a Workbench.

I was planning on having stuff that shouldn't realisticly be consumed (like braces) use up alcohol to sterilise for further use.

What's your opinions on HUD information and what should and shouldn't be displayed, as far as chem use goes? I was planning on replacing the STIM counter with the CNS level (so you can see at a glance how stimmed/doped you are), with everything that doesn't have a direct effect (like the amount of specific drugs in your system) being invisible unless you use some sort of "Blood-Toxicity Screener" ; whether it pops up like a config item or is a purchasable doctor's tool can go up for debate. Your effective anaesthesia and disassociation would be shown when you use the doctor bag for triage, and disassociation would also show in the status updates since it has direct effects on your stats. Things like opiate dependence would be effectively invisible unless you're suffering from their effects, and multipliers like opiate tolerance wouldn't be shown unless you take careful note of how little Med-X is affecting you compared to how much it used to before you started using it heavily.

Does this sound reasonable? I'm thinking there's only so much information that I can plaster onto the HUD before it becomes overwhelming.

Personally, I like as much information available on my HUD at once as possible, though I know the presence of things like iHUD means there are certainly people that feel otherwise. I do like limiting the information on the HUD to things the player would actually be aware of (most of the time; I have the Hostile Enemies display because the game is so bad at quitting combat properly) but I dislike having to use an inventory item to see stats since it's really an extra series of steps. I would prefer that any stats you'd be willing to show the player would actually be visible as part of the HUD itself, rather than requiring a trip to the Pip-Boy; if you want it to only be available to the player after buying an item, just wait for that item to be held by the player before passing the values to the variables. Of course even I know don't know hot to add entirely new HUD elements, only how to modify Primary Needs HUD to add new numbers. :P

I believe in less is more, and sometimes more is more. But seriously, there's a LOT of variables I've added. From the vanilla chems alone, there's opiates, caffeine, benzos, buffout, buffout-fem, amphetamines, fixer, the mentats-brain-increasing-chem, inert iodine, ersatz cocaine and disassociative anaesthetics. And that's including the regular "stimgel" and "alcohol", plus the regular "stimulants" and new "tranquilisers" as a catch-all for uppers and downers I didn't feel needed it's own tracker, like nicotine and ephedra. And that's before I've added a single non-vanilla chem. Even the DLC will require a new chem-tracker for all that Datura the damn dirty savages eat.

A lot of those values have no direct effect on the player, but affect the adjusted stim/dope levels, which affect the CNS Index, Disassociation or Anaethesia level instead. Three degrees of seperation, for most of them.

To double up, most of those have its own "tolerance" value, which is a multiplier to its effectiveness, based on long-term use. Tripling up, some of those have dependencies, which could be displayed as the balance between your current blood-level and the required level not to be suffering withdrawal. Some have one level of withdrawal severity, some have many. Opiates have five, if I remember right. If you wanted to keep going, there's the internal tracker on long-term use, and the modified burn rate, affected by tolerance. Then there's your adjusted stim level, the sum of all your stimulants before being checked against your depressants. And your adjusted depressant level, the sum of your depressants before being checked against your stimulants. There's a boatload of values, and I need to know how directly they should be affecting the player before they're worthy of the HUD. "Throw 'em all in" is seriously not an option.

There's got to be a point where information is "yeah, I'd might like to know that SOMETIMES, if I ask for it, but fuck off out of my screen otherwise" Seriously, if I put everything up there I'll run out of 3-4 letter acronyms, and I'll run out of screen. So there needs to be some distinction as to what information is available to the player, and what information is on the HUD, because there's a LOT of information now. I already have to move my IMCN hud annoying high so if I have stim or alcohol in my system the "Entering Freeside" text doesn't overlap my hud values.

The way it works now, I don't think you NEED to know your opiate blood-level at all. I removed toxicity caps for everything but caffeine (to cap how stimmed you can get without getting sick) and buffout (to simulate roidrage if you take too much too quickly) Opiate affects your anasthesia, and it affects your adjusted dope, which affects your CNS Level. If you're mixing it with stimulants, it directly affects your Disassociation Level also. It might be nice to check once in a while, via pipboy, but in the end, when you can check the final result, does it really matter to check the base constituancies of that result?

Help me find a balance here, because it's simply not feasable to HUD everything.

Another thing concerning the vanilla chems (which I want to get pretty much finished to a releasable state before moving on to new chems and medical system).

I've changed the vanilla pill chems to "bottles" which give you a random number of individual pills when you pick them up (I'll either script or change the levellists so that vendors only sell full bottles or individual pills, so you know what you're buying). To balance the increased number of pills you'll be getting, they now work differently. Buffout doesn't give any instant stat boosts, you have to build up your buffout levels over several days (taking too much at once causes toxicity) to become buffout-strong (and then failing to keep taking it will drop you back to normal, possibly with some withdrawal-style penalties). Rad-X I never really use in vanilla and I don't think many other people do either, so I've just dropped the value, but made it work via IMCN tracker and last longer than vanilla. Fixer mostly affects all the new craving/dependence scripts, but you'll generally need a lot of it to function well if you're an addict and not keeping up your addictions.

But what should I do about mentats? Would you like to see them work similar to the new buffout, where you pop a few mentats every morning to get an indefinite stat bonus as long as you keep using them? Or would you rather them stay as a chem you pop for an instant bonus whenever you reach a lock or computer you can't quite open?

But what should I do about mentats? Would you like to see them work similar to the new buffout' date=' where you pop a few mentats every morning to get an indefinite stat bonus as long as you keep using them? Or would you rather them stay as a chem you pop for an instant bonus whenever you reach a lock or computer you can't quite open?

[/quote']

Maybe this is something to put as an MCM toggle? I guess it depends on lore/realism. It seems like mentats are used in the game now the way people take adderall before tests. The other thing you could do is split Party Time Mentats and regular Mentats, and assign the regular Mentats the 'bottle of pills over time' characteristic and have the Party Time Mentats give an instantaneous stat boost. Looking forward to playing the mod, it sounds like you've taken time designing it!

Aaaah! zippy, can you describe your typical Rad-X use? Before eating, before a known hotspot? I use a lot of hardercore type mods, so radiation is buffed way past vanilla, and I still never remember to pop Rad-X before eating, or visiting black mountain, or swimming the Potomac. On the very few occasions I do think to myself "I should pop a rad-x", I check my inventory and never have any because I always sell it because I never use it.

@Kissinger, I don't know how to do MCM yet but I've heard it isn't too hard. I'll look into swapping the entire IMCN menu system over to it and clearing out the config items. I'm putting in the groundwork to make chem tracking disable-able, which will include IMCN stim (I'm keeping it around for minor stimulants I don't feel like putting a tracker on... right now it's just chew tobacco so maybe I might as well throw in a nic tracker too) and will keep vanilla effects on all chems. I don't know if there's a function to change an items value or weight ingame, but I'll need to find it or buffout and mentats will become pretty unbalanced either pricewise or abundancewise with the chems overhaul off. Also, a function to change addiction-rates would be helpful, since a lot of the addictive chems are no longer using the vanilla addiction system and would need it turned back on if you disable chem tracking.

- Also, healing powder. Currently it's stimpack lite, but since I'm turning xander root into ersatz opium and broc flower into ersatz coca, maybe it should be med-x lite. Would anybody rebel and riot if I snipped the healing properties out of healing powder and turned it into a painkiller instead? Keep in mind the legion uses it, and while it's not explicitly stated that their anti-drug hysteria extends to banning medicine, you sort of get the impression that they wouldn't allow luxuries like opium for the injured.

Generally I use Rad-X if I stumble upon a hotspot. I don't think I've ever used in before eating; the amount of rads in food is usually not high enough to warrant that.

I would complain if you took the healing properties out of Healing Powder since it is called Healing Powder. :P You'd have to change the name, which might cause a problem since both the base name and Honest Hearts have quests that refer to it by name. Plus, Healing Powder counts as a Stimpak for the Stim-ply Amazing challenge, though that can probably be changed. And the Legion uses it as a replacement for Stimpaks (because of the whole no-chem thing) so if it doesn't have healing properties...?

These are some really great ideas, and I hope you'll pull it off. I have always wanted to play an addict-type char, it really fits into the settings, but there is really no point. Doing drugs in FNV is a big 'meh'.

You still become addicted via random chance apon taking a drug, as in game terms "addiction" refers to the psychological craving for more of the drug, not the physical dependence on it.

I always thought that it was the other way around. With your new dependency system it makes sense, but to me it always seemed that addiction was the actual withdrawal effect rather than the psycological effect.

@ zippy

You make good points. I'll just change the base effect so that the healing properties are called something other than Xcc's StimGel when using superhardcore stimpacks, even though it will function exactly the same as taking a small stimgel dose.

@ Kashked

Sorry, I meant "game terms" after my mod takes over, not game terms in vanilla. I'm currently rethinking the addiction system to something where more extreme addictions can overwrite lesser ones ; for example, jet addiction will ensure that you no longer get addicted to any puny lesser drugs. If were addicted to them before becoming hooked on jet, you no longer will be (although any dependencies will still be an issue) It'll also mean there are multiple tiered types of addiction for the same type of drug ; so you can graduate from the minor amphetamine-content of buffout or mentats up to the fierce hit of jet, then move on to rocket or ultrajet.

Amphetamine addiction and Benzodiazepam dependence are intended to be the penultimate addictions, and instead of simple stat debuffs they're currently full of custom finicky scripts and random events which are supposed to give the player the feeling of becoming insane ; but are taking a lot longer to code than I'd hoped. I might just temporarily swap them out for a simple debuff so I can get a vanilla-chem release out and not keep everyone waiting months while I learn how to alter the HUD, spawn fake NPC ghosts and beg for voice-artists to whisper creepy drug-psychosis stuff into their mics.

Archived