Removing ESM dependancies from mods.

Ghoulz

Currently I haven't a clue how to use TES4Edit to remove my CMpartners requirement from my ESPs. Since I want to fully just stick with mad companionship mod from this site and not worry about CM partners ever causing conflicts.

I used to use tes4gecko for splitting plug-ins. It has a one click button to remove dependency iirc.

The child plug in must already be pretty much independent though. Unlink or redirect all references to master to something else, such as attached cm script, then you can remove master.

Yes use TES4Edit if you have the master file in your game folder.

But if you do not have it you can create a dummy file and name it CMpartners.esm,  now you can load the Mod with TES4Edit and then delete the masterfile entry in the file header ( at the top of the esp)

Or you use Gecko and remove the master ( do not let Gecko delete any entries or all NPCs with CMpartners scripts will be delete)

Then you have the Mod without the CMpartners  master and can load it with TES4Edit.

Use the "Check for errors" funktion, it will tell you all the missing CMpartners entries ( factions, AI packages, scripts, ... )

Delete all the "Error: Could not be resolved " entries.

Done, you have a Mod without CMpartners.

When you use Gecko you see when the esm is delete

You click Edit Master List and select the esp you want

In the small window you select a master and click Remove

Then the esp is removed from the small window.

tes2.jpg

Or you use TES4Edit.

Open File Header and remove the master you want. It is removed, you do not see it anymore.

Then you close the TES4Edit, so it save the changes.

Them you open the esp again and check errors in the eps  and remove all "Error: Could not be resolved " entries.

tes1.jpg

Then use the older version, problem solved.

*edit*

Well.. ok, that was mean. Specifically, use 3.x or something before the big frontend changes.

So let me quote their changelog:

Editing "Master Files" in "File Header"
Previous versions allowed to freely edit Master Files in the File Header. Because adding or removing MAST sub records directly will not renumber the FormID's stored inside the file, this would lead to behaviour that is unexpected (and usually destructive in nature) for people that don't have a deep understanding of the internal workings for module files.
xEdit will now by default prevent any direct changes to Master Files. The correct way to add a master is to use the "Add Masters" function in the context menu of the navigation treeview. The correct way to remove a master is to make sure the file no longer contains any references to the master in question and use the "Clean Masters" function in the context menu.
To allow direct editing of the Master Files again, xEdit must now be started with -AllowMasterFilesEdit in addition to -IKnowWhatImDoing. Please only use that parameter when really required and when you actually do know what you are doing.

So yes, you can still edit the masterlist, but I still say use the old version. They were faster anyway.

Yes I use version 3.1.2

The next update ( 3.2.x ? ) changed the menu,  "Remove" and "Edit" were switched round.  Now first in Menu was removed instead of edit.  But after more than 10 Years working with TES4Edit I click without watching and when I want to edit a entry I always accidentally removed it, and there is no step back option.... so close TES4Edit without saving and do everything again.

And in the 4.x.x versions the cleaning funktion was removed ( Apply filter for cleaning,... )

Seems now I have to rename the exe  to get the new cleaning fuction ....  Not sure , I do not understand the readme.

TES4Edit is getting worse and non-user-friendly.

Rename the exe to enable functions?? Why? Cleaning was so easy.

Switch round menu entries ??? why? The look of the menu has not changed and no new features added, only the position of two functions changed. Should that be an improvement?

I already mentioned that in my yellow link below, use a older TES4Edit version.

Archived