Need advice on a new GPU

BufusTurbo

Hi folks.

Currently I have 2 Nvidia GTX 580 SLI gpus mounted on my Asus Rampage IV Extreme but they are getting quite old and replacements won't be easy to find, so I was thinking about getting something with more oomph but I'm not really an expert.

I found on sale on Amazon a Asus Geforce DUAL GTX1060 (here) but I don't know if it is compatible with my motherboard. Also, the product page does say nothing about energy consumption (I have a 830W power supply, for reference).

Would it be wise of me to buy it?

Get a card with at least 8GB of VRAM. I have a MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Armor. Card runs everything at 1080p and 1440p on 60FPS+ maxed out details. Silent mode for the fans, meaning fans will only start spinning if the GPU reaches a certain temperature (62°C). It's also a very quiet and cool card. Usually around 64°C to 65°C in games. TDP 175W.

eh, I can't afford a 2070 lol.

So far the 580s served me well and Skyrim plays nicely even with my fuckton of mods installed. However FO4 has been giving me headaches and eats my VRAM in minutes, plus I'd like to play more recent games and the 3 GB VRAM of the two 580s isn't going to cut it anymore.

Probably not as much help as you would like, but usually I just decide how much I want to spend (I do not use sli or dual cards), and then go to toms hardware and just look at the bar charts for the current years graphics cards for their general overall performance, and work my way down seeing which I can afford taking into account memory and such on them.

According to the website here https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/

You should be good with any pcie 3 or below card.

1 hour ago, BufusTurbo said:

eh, I can't afford a 2070 lol.

So far the 580s served me well and Skyrim plays nicely even with my fuckton of mods installed. However FO4 has been giving me headaches and eats my VRAM in minutes, plus I'd like to play more recent games and the 3 GB VRAM of the two 580s isn't going to cut it anymore.

Well a 6GB won't help you much. Some modern games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider will already eat 5.5 to 6 gig of VRAM on FUllHD with maxed details.

With some luck you might get your hands on a cheap 1070 or even 1070ti. Otherwise, there's only AMD in your affordable price region with 8GB cards.

I first upgraded from a Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4G to a PowerColor RX 590 by the end of 2018, but the card died on me after a few weeks with heavy artifacing.

Besides that I wasn't really happy with the overall performance of the card. AC Odyssey I couldn't even play with 60FPS. It got pretty warm (around 75°C) and had problems keeping the fans at a constant level.

As the card was dying, I sent it back of course and with the money from the RMA I bought the MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Armor. I didn't regret investing a bit more money into a decent GPU.

If you can't afford a 2070, you might want to check the AMD Vega 56/64 cards. They are somewhere inbetween a 1070 and 1070ti. Though you need your own nuclear power plant to run them (as with all AMD cards atm) and they can get pretty loud, too. Undervolting a card can work, but is always a gamble. Some chips can take it, others die instantly.

Just don't buy a 6GB card, unless you're willing to turn down details in the near future.

Archived