Using outfit studio to fix some clipping

Hello as title says I'm trying to fix some slight clipping using OS but I think i missed some important steps, like do you need to copy the weight stuff if you are just fixing this small stuff? Also how do you apply the change to all the types of bodies? In skyrim there was a weight 0 and weight 1 body that you had to modify but here i'm lost ?

Depends on the amount of clipping you need to fix, and how permanent you need that fix to be. 

Doing a quick fix is super easy.

Build item in bodyslide (let's call it Superfly Outfit)

Then goto outfit studio and open outfit Superfly Outfit_1.nif

Make the clipping changes using the various tools 

export outfit as nif and save it over the old Superfly Outfit_1.nif file

Repeat for Superfly Outfit_0.nif

this will fix the outfit till you rerun bodyslide

2 hours ago, Corsayr said:

Depends on the amount of clipping you need to fix, and how permanent you need that fix to be. 

Wait a tic... There's no 0 and 1 weights in Fallout 4.

1 hour ago, Dallas-Arbiter said:

Wait a tic... There's no 0 and 1 weights in Fallout 4.

it has been some time since I did a Fallout 4 nif, so maybe not. But the principle is the same if there is no weight slider. You only have to do it once.

15 hours ago, Corsayr said:

what about copying bone weights? I guess i should skip it right? Also do you use import nif for when you have to import outfit and body or load outfit and reference?

Also in game after i made that fix, it only works for the default body type ( i.e. when you put the point at the center of the triangle), that's why i was asking if i missed some steps

3 hours ago, Thehunteroftruth said:

what about copying bone weights? I guess i should skip it right? Also do you use import nif for when you have to import outfit and body or load outfit and reference?

That is where the "how much clipping" you are fixing comes in.

Do you have an example of what you are trying to fix? For most simple fixes like I am describing, you should not need to do anything with bone weights, the NIF will already have all that and making small adjustments shouldn't break any of it. 

This is sort of an example of what I am talking about in reverse. In this object instead of eliminating clipping, I created clipping and moved the bottom part of the shirt into the belly area so it looked like the top was a more of a half top. I did it this way because removing the bottom caused bone weighting and attachment errors, and simply moving that part into other geometry did not. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5557e838849b4035af4ea93653fc7967.png

I use this because it is sort of an extreme example of the process I am talking about. 

On 1/3/2019 at 7:28 PM, Corsayr said:

This is sort of an example of what I am talking about in reverse. In this object instead of eliminating clipping, I created clipping and moved the bottom part of the shirt into the belly area so it looked like the top was a more of a half top. I did it this way because removing the bottom caused bone weighting and attachment errors, and simply moving that part into other geometry did not. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.5557e838849b4035af4ea93653fc7967.png

I use this because it is sort of an extreme example of the process I am talking about. 

this is more or less what i'm trying to fix, i think it's small stuff,right ?

image.png

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, Thehunteroftruth said:

this is more or less what i'm trying to fix, i think it's small stuff,right ?

Hide contents

image.png

image.png

image.png

Oh ya those are totes easy. 

Spoiler
2139035601_step1.thumb.jpg.b443405eecf1fe0984d24430c7038e09.jpg1

Spoiler

21904051_step2.thumb.jpg.eae980e0996c04966b684fce53a44696.jpg

Spoiler

180429602_step3.gif.1f64ac5903576ef6a1a618840d11bd0f.gif

Spoiler

1842516995_step4.thumb.jpg.e5f92f50896e68333a96837850b21b18.jpg

That will correct it till you run bodyslide again, then you will have to re-do this. 

13 hours ago, Corsayr said:

Oh ya those are totes easy. 

Hide contents
2139035601_step1.thumb.jpg.b443405eecf1fe0984d24430c7038e09.jpg1

Hide contents

21904051_step2.thumb.jpg.eae980e0996c04966b684fce53a44696.jpg

Hide contents

180429602_step3.gif.1f64ac5903576ef6a1a618840d11bd0f.gif

Hide contents

1842516995_step4.thumb.jpg.e5f92f50896e68333a96837850b21b18.jpg

That will correct it till you run bodyslide again, then you will have to re-do this. 

thanks for the detailed explainations! i tryed that to the letter but still it doesn't work in game, even tough it's fixed in outfit studio in game there's still some clipping that i don't see in outfit studio :(

image.png

Let me ask you this, are you wearing a sperate top with this in these pictures? In other words, is it possible you are wearing 2 items that come with a base body?

IF not can you attach this NIF file so I can look at it in outfit studio?

8 hours ago, Corsayr said:

Let me ask you this, are you wearing a sperate top with this in these pictures? In other words, is it possible you are wearing 2 items that come with a base body?

IF not can you attach this NIF file so I can look at it in outfit studio?

unfortunately not i'm not wearing anything beside that item and as far as I know it uses slot 40. I've also attached the mesh i modified as you requested :)

Shino_Hot_Pants.nif

hmmm I don't see anything immediately obvious, seems like an ultimate fix may require more in-depth corrections. 

A temporary fix would be to give the 2 spots that are still clipping a little more inflation on the nif

The red dots appear to be the spots with the clipping on your in-game image. Just give those areas a little more inflating and it should "fix" the issue. 

Spoiler

image.png.8e9f5b0d12b771286af998d77efd5102.png

20 hours ago, Corsayr said:

hmmm I don't see anything immediately obvious, seems like an ultimate fix may require more in-depth corrections. 

A temporary fix would be to give the 2 spots that are still clipping a little more inflation on the nif

The red dots appear to be the spots with the clipping on your in-game image. Just give those areas a little more inflating and it should "fix" the issue. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.8e9f5b0d12b771286af998d77efd5102.png

Oh that's good that you pointed that out, how did you made the red dots show up? I think i didn't see that stuff when i was looking to fix that

19 hours ago, EdinMG said:

Just use the Increase Mesh Volume tool to remove these small clippings, I do that all the time for my mashups, like the one below in which I'm using the hot pants and the long socks from his mod.

Reveal hidden contents

mashup.jpg.8c92dd85d02bb8bf84d286e3b5c23fca.jpg

yea I used to do that a lot for skyrim as well, the problem I have with fallout is that i have no idea how to fix it for the whole triangle weight slider, since clothes and body only come in one nif

24 minutes ago, Thehunteroftruth said:

Oh that's good that you pointed that out, how did you made the red dots show up? I think i didn't see that stuff when i was looking to fix that

The "dots" (green and red) is the Vertex Edit view/tool in Outfit Studio.  Strike the Q key to enable it or go to Tool>Current Tool>Vertex Edit, or select the Pencil icon on the menu bar (14th icon from left).

By default Vertex Edit will show all vertices as green (unselected).  You can use the masking tool to select those you want to work with (delete, separate, move, ignore for editing, etc.) which will turn them red.

yea I used to do that a lot for skyrim as well, the problem I have with fallout is that i have no idea how to fix it for the whole triangle weight slider, since clothes and body only come in one nif

A bit of trial and error is needed for this.  Once the outfit is complete and has an OS project (with sliders) created, you can use the sliders options to enable/disable specific or several sliders and make adjustments.  This will allow you to make edits at various sizes to see how the mesh responds.  This is not the same as tri-shape weight changes, but it's close.  It will show you the areas which need a little more volume.  Then it's on to testing in-game and back to OS to make adjustments.  This might take you a few cycles, but ultimately will yield a better result.

41 minutes ago, AWP3RATOR said:

The "dots" (green and red) is the Vertex Edit view/tool in Outfit Studio.  Strike the Q key to enable it or go to Tool>Current Tool>Vertex Edit, or select the Pencil icon on the menu bar (14th icon from left).

By default Vertex Edit will show all vertices as green (unselected).  You can use the masking tool to select those you want to work with (delete, separate, move, ignore for editing, etc.) which will turn them red.

A bit of trial and error is needed for this.  Once the outfit is complete and has an OS project (with sliders) created, you can use the sliders options to enable/disable specific or several sliders and make adjustments.  This will allow you to make edits at various sizes to see how the mesh responds.  This is not the same as tri-shape weight changes, but it's close.  It will show you the areas which need a little more volume.  Then it's on to testing in-game and back to OS to make adjustments.  This might take you a few cycles, but ultimately will yield a better result.

Yup. :)

20 hours ago, EdinMG said:

Just use the Increase Mesh Volume tool to remove these small clippings, I do that all the time for my mashups, like the one below in which I'm using the hot pants and the long socks from his mod.

Reveal hidden contents

mashup.jpg.8c92dd85d02bb8bf84d286e3b5c23fca.jpg

Also yup. ?

On 1/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, AWP3RATOR said:

yea I know what the dots are I just don't get how he knew exactly where the mesh was clipping based only on what he saw from outfit studio which looked completely normal to me. Also isn't the mask vertices used to not move the vertices? how do you select the vertices individually? When I click somewhere it turns a big area all red and i cant seem to select them individually

On 1/6/2019 at 7:16 PM, EdinMG said:

Is that a custom body preset?

On 1/6/2019 at 6:30 PM, Corsayr said:

I got a new problem after changing my body preset, I do get major clipping in the lower area and attempting to fix it the same way as the other spots made the mesh super bloaty, anything else i can try?

image.png

1 hour ago, Thehunteroftruth said:

yea I know what the dots are I just don't get how he knew exactly where the mesh was clipping based only on what he saw from outfit studio which looked completely normal to me.

I knew by looking at your in-game picture and comparing to the mesh view in bodyslide. It is sort of a practiced eye thing... ?

1 hour ago, Thehunteroftruth said:

I got a new problem after changing my body preset, I do get major clipping in the lower area and attempting to fix it the same way as the other spots made the mesh super bloaty, anything else i can try?

Reveal hidden contents

Because of the geometry issues surrounding the lower regions, I generally suggest NOT using inflate to fix those. 

Pull up your item in outfit studio

Spoiler

1989323321_step1.thumb.jpg.025c0149d73ce173f82817c3cd146a5a.jpg

Spoiler

311697108_step2.thumb.jpg.647cd84c569351b31f30d01c6c5e3d37.jpg

Spoiler

144100849_step3.thumb.jpg.682b8ee7a162cc45a1166cde0cd3b55d.jpg

Spoiler

282089132_Step4.gif.d5c93249d70e0be9edeeae8f3f084de5.gif

You can fix the newly created clipping at the top the other way without too much bloat. ?

That tool is a neat one for doing a lot of things, the triangles move the shape without adjusting it and the boxes stretch the shape along that particular axis. I suggest playing with it to see what it can really do, I use it a lot when I create bashed outfits. 

4 hours ago, Corsayr said:

I knew by looking at your in-game picture and comparing to the mesh view in bodyslide. It is sort of a practiced eye thing... ?

oh that's what i tough, was just making sure I didn't miss something :)

wow that mini tutorial you linked is really good, I was totally ignoring that function of bodyslide, i will try fixing asap and same for the brush size settings, thanks again for sharing your knowledge :)