CTD at launch

Kain82

I've been having a problem lately with Oblivion.  I am running the GoG version and when I first installed it it ran fine.  But when I add mods the game refuses to start.  When I try to launch the game through the exe file the games does not start.  When I try to launch the game through OBMM it loads but crashes before the Bethesda logo.

I do not know how to get a good modlist for Oblivion but here's the one from OBMM:

Oblivion.esm
All Natural Base.esm
Lovers with PK.esm
Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp
UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp
Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
DLCShiveringIsles.esp
Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp
Oblivion Vwalk UOS.esp
DLCShiveringIsles Vwalk UOS.esp
DLCShiveringIsles Vwalk DG_DS UOS.esp
All Natural.esp
All Natural - SI.esp
Immersive Interiors.esp
Consistent Beggar Voices.esp
All Natural - Real Lights.esp
WindowLightingSystem.esp
Book Jackets Oblivion.esp
ImprovedSigns.esp
Slof's Oblivion Pillow Book.esp
VA_BetterGold.esp
DLCHorseArmor.esp
DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCOrrery.esp
DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCOrrery Vwalk.esp
DLCVileLair.esp
DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor Vwalk UOP.esp
DLCSpellTomes.esp
DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp
MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp
VipCxj_HighHeels.esp
Armory of the Silver Dragon.esp
BladeofWoeReplacer9Tongues.esp
DBShadowSet.esp
KDCirclets.esp
Kikai & Slof Clothing.esp
Nicoroshi Creations DW Light.esp
NN_FatherFrostENG.esp
Slof's Bracelets & Rings.esp
Slof's Gentlemen's Wear.esp
Slof's Male Clothing.esp
Slof's Even More Male Things.esp
Slof's Neckchains.esp
Slof's Robe of the Dark Arts.esp
DMRA BBB Complete Clothing and Armor Replacer.esp
Slof's Horses Base.esp
DLCThievesDen.esp
DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCThievesDen Vwalk UOP.esp
Slof's Oblivion Robe Trader.esp
Alluring Potion Bottles v3.esp
Alluring Wine Bottles.esp
Benirus Lair.esp
Abriael_Human.esp
Jagnot- Imperial City Library V1.3.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt - No More Burned Ground.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt Vwalk.esp
Slof's Oblivion Goth Shop.esp
Slof's Goth Shop 3.esp
Apachii_Goddess_Store.esp
Apachii_Heroes_Store.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCFrostcrag.esp
DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCFrostcrag Vwalk.esp
Knights.esp
Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp
Knights Vwalk UOP.esp
MannimarcoComplete.esp
MannimarcoRevisited.esp
Harvest [Flora].esp
Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp
Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp
Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp
Better Dungeons.esp
FlexWhiteReach.esp
Improved Fires and Flames - Increased Sound.esp
Oblivion - Soulgems.esp
NN_DeceiversFineryReplacer.esp
NPC Static Level.esp
P1DkeyChain.esp
LoversAdultPlayPlusforSSP.esp
LoversVoiceSSPplus.esp
LoversBed.esp
Lovers with PK.esp
LoversBackup2.esp
LoversMB2.esp
LoversLight.esp
Quest Award Leveling.esp
Quest Award Leveling SI.esp
Quest Award Leveling - Finger of the Mountain.esp
SetEssentialActors.esp
Telekinetic Mastery.esp
Advanced Magecraft.esp
SupremeMagicka.esp
SM_ShiveringIsles.esp
SM_DLCSpellTome.esp
SM_EnchantStaff.esp
SM_VanillaSpells.esp
SM_Scrolls.esp
SM_SigilStone.esp
MidasSpells.esp
J3X's Staff Bashing Mod.esp
zzEDialog.esp
actors_in_charge.esp
ActorsInMadness.esp
eyja.esp
eyja Vwalk.esp
CM Partners Vwalk.esp
Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp
Oblivion_Character_Overhaul Vwalk.esp
OCO_DLCHorseArmor_Patch.esp
OCO_DLCOrrery_Patch.esp
OCO_DLCMehrunesRazor_Patch.esp
OCO_DLCThievesDen_Patch.esp
OCO_KvatchRebuilt_Patch.esp
OCO_KnightsOTN_Patch.esp
OCO DLC Faces.esp
OCO_UOP_USIP_Patch.esp
Alternate ghost shader.esp
All Natural - Indoor Weather Filter For Mods.esp
LoversIdleAnimsPriority.esp
LoversAnimObjectsPriority.esp
Slof's Drow Stuff.esp
Kart Hair Replace v012.esp

The list is not that good cause it doesn't show the mods that are active.

I've installed the mods like I always have, either manually or through OBMM.  Also other older Bethesda games run fine, like Morrowind, FO3 and FNV.

Can anyone help?

It does not look as though you are using Wrye Bash, either ...and what about BOSS? - You would be able to improve your game with the former (including adding things like UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp into a bashed_patch.esp) and the latter, whilst some file list details are out of date, would ensure that your load-order was correct (excepting some of the Lovers Lab mods which need to be ordered manually). TES4Edit could then be used to clean any dirty mods, thereby further improving your game play.

3 hours ago, 04ycIlXyni3t said:

It does not look as though you are using Wrye Bash, either ...and what about BOSS? - You would be able to improve your game with the former (including adding things like UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp into a bashed_patch.esp) and the latter, whilst some file list details are out of date, would ensure that your load-order was correct (excepting some of the Lovers Lab mods which need to be ordered manually). TES4Edit could then be used to clean any dirty mods, thereby further improving your game play.

I use BOSS but not Wrye Bash.  I never learned how to make a bashed patch even though I read instructions.  I forgot about TES4Edit I will download it.

A Bashed Patch is really helpful and well worth taking the time to learn. I personally use Wrye Bash as my mod manager. Its really nice having everything done all in one manager. There are wizards available for many mods that come only in OMOD format and OMODs themselves can be extracted if necessary.

@Kain82: no problem, - quick guide to making a bashed patch:

i:) add mods to game

ii:) run BOSS

iii:) clean anything that needs cleaning with TES4Edit [ right-click on mod-list > select none > select required mod > add filter for cleaning > remove identical to masters > set and undelete masters (why, I am not sure; but the step is necessary) > close TES4Edit, allowing it to make a backup of the cleaned file.

iv:) run Wrye Bash > ensure that all required mods are ticked > click and hold on mods to move them and change their load order, if necessary (BOSS will usually get things right, but change OBMM settings - if using OBMM - to prevent it from changing the load order).

v:) tick and right-click on the bashed_patch.esp file > rebuild bashed_patch (with a big blue dot beside it) > then exit and repeat process in order to untick anything that does not need to be ticked (if there is anything that WB is wanting to integrate into the patch)

vi:) play around with the various tweak options that are available on the screen with the rebuild button and then rebuild the patch (values like [1000], within the tweak settings screen, can usually be changed by right-clicking on them to select a different, or custom, value if you are not happy with the default one). WB will then do just that and will mark items you had to de-select during the rebuild process with crosses and dots depending on what, and how much of what, is integrated into the patch.

Finally, if you are using the latest WB installer (or Python setup, which can be a bit fiddly), the installers folder (on Windows, at least) will be Oblivion Mods > Bash Installers (it used to be the Mopy folder inside the main game directory). This folder is the folder which you copy BAIN installers into, before clicking on the Installers tab in WB in order to install them ...but that's another guide for another time (maybe)...

...and beware of packages like the Sensual Walks BAIN installer, because the base animation files need to be installed via OMOD, with the individual components installed via the BAIN installer part...

On 10/24/2018 at 8:53 PM, Sladen2019 said:

A Bashed Patch is really helpful and well worth taking the time to learn. I personally use Wrye Bash as my mod manager. Its really nice having everything done all in one manager. There are wizards available for many mods that come only in OMOD format and OMODs themselves can be extracted if necessary.

I've heard of it's usefulness over the years.  But since I never understood how to create it.  I never used it.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:00 AM, 04ycIlXyni3t said:

@Kain82: no problem, - quick guide to making a bashed patch:

i:) add mods to game

ii:) run BOSS

iii:) clean anything that needs cleaning with TES4Edit [ right-click on mod-list > select none > select required mod > add filter for cleaning > remove identical to masters > set and undelete masters (why, I am not sure; but the step is necessary) > close TES4Edit, allowing it to make a backup of the cleaned file.

iv:) run Wrye Bash > ensure that all required mods are ticked > click and hold on mods to move them and change their load order, if necessary (BOSS will usually get things right, but change OBMM settings - if using OBMM - to prevent it from changing the load order).

v:) tick and right-click on the bashed_patch.esp file > rebuild bashed_patch (with a big blue dot beside it) > then exit and repeat process in order to untick anything that does not need to be ticked (if there is anything that WB is wanting to integrate into the patch)

vi:) play around with the various tweak options that are available on the screen with the rebuild button and then rebuild the patch (values like [1000], within the tweak settings screen, can usually be changed by right-clicking on them to select a different, or custom, value if you are not happy with the default one). WB will then do just that and will mark items you had to de-select during the rebuild process with crosses and dots depending on what, and how much of what, is integrated into the patch.

Finally, if you are using the latest WB installer (or Python setup, which can be a bit fiddly), the installers folder (on Windows, at least) will be Oblivion Mods > Bash Installers (it used to be the Mopy folder inside the main game directory). This folder is the folder which you copy BAIN installers into, before clicking on the Installers tab in WB in order to install them ...but that's another guide for another time (maybe)...

...and beware of packages like the Sensual Walks BAIN installer, because the base animation files need to be installed via OMOD, with the individual components installed via the BAIN installer part...

Wow!  This is hands down the best how to tutorial I've seen for Wrye Bash and TES4Edit.  Thank you for your time. :)

On 10/27/2018 at 1:56 AM, Kain82 said:

I've heard of it's usefulness over the years.  But since I never understood how to create it.  I never used it.

Wow!  This is hands down the best how to tutorial I've seen for Wrye Bash and TES4Edit.  Thank you for your time. :)

No problem, - you are welcome, - now we just need a LL extension for BOSS...

Archived