MSI x299 Raider Mobo - M.2 question

cleavagesweat

I have an MSI x299 Raider mobo and it has two M.2 ports. Does it matter which one I use? the higher one (M.2_1) is where I have my drive in currently but I don't like its location as it may draw heat from the GPU. So 2 questions:

1. Does it matter which slot for primary drive?
  2. If I already installed everything when it was in the M.2_1 slot and the answer to question #1 is no it doesn't matter then can I move my drive over to the M.2_2 slot?

thanks

2 minutes ago, Yinkle said:

Google is your friend but I'd imagine that they both work the same. You could probably move your m2 drive to the other slot with no issues other than the possibility of having to adjust boot drive in your bios if it's your main system drive/boot drive

I googled and couldn't find anything which is why I posted here...

As I say, I don't think it matters which m2 slot you use. I'm currently using an m2 ssd too but my mobo only supports 1 so I can't 100% confirm. If you switch slots and your computer fails to boot then you might need to sort it in the bios. Other than that, windows should detect the drive fine

From what i can Read of your Board's MANUAL If you are using an ordinary SSD it should not matter.

You might need to change the settings of your UEFI after switching over, so it boots from the right drive.

Both slots support Intel Optane, PCIe M.2 and SATA M.2 so they seem identical to me, and the OS should not care if it it got all the drivers.

If you run into an issue, you can always put it back.

I guess one of the engineer's at MSI must have had a Brainfart for putting an M.2 Slot right below the GPU.

At lest they don't solder the SSD it straight onto the Motherboard like a certain other company which shall not be named.

1 hour ago, flatliner10 said:

That is a Regular SSD, just with an M.2 connector and a different form-factor.

You might also need to make sure that the mode of the M.2 slot is set to PCIe, again refer UEFI.

when you say a regular SSD I picture a 2.5 inch drive that has a SATA port on the back. why do you refer to NVMe drives as regular SSDs?

Because there are other devices to plug in an M.2 slot which behave differently than an normal SSD,

like an intel optane drive or Devices Formated for StoreMI(FuzeDrive), i would not refer as "normal" SSD's.

There are also LTE modules for M.2, and even though i have not yet encountered one, m.2 SSD's could also be configured to work in a RAID configuration of some sort.

They can make problems when swapped around.

But an ordinary M.2 SSD, should be a no-brainer, regardless of the used protocol,  PCIe(faster) or SATA(cheaper) is both supported on an M.2 Slot.

22 minutes ago, flatliner10 said:

Because there are other devices to plug in an M.2 slot which behave differently than an normal SSD,

like an intel optane drive or Devices Formated for StoreMI(FuzeDrive), i would not refer as "normal" SSD's.

There are also LTE modules for M.2, and even though i have not yet encountered one, m.2 SSD's could also be configured to work in a RAID configuration of some sort.

They can make problems when swapped around.

But an ordinary M.2 SSD, should be a no-brainer, regardless of the used protocol,  PCIe(faster) or SATA(cheaper) is both supported on an M.2 Slot.

oic. ya I guess it is still an ssd. 

Archived