Where to start in adult modding Sims 4?

Hello, all! I've been lurking and really enjoying the mods. I'd like to start contributing, but I stopped modding about four years ago with Sims 3. I only did furniture for friends and only got so far in modeling sims for Poser. I'm not sure if there's anything new to learn.^^' Apologies if this isn't the best section to be asking in.  Figured this could be a helpful thread for others too.<3

Well, it depends what aspect of the game you want to modify:

For editing .package files you need this -> Sims 4 Studio (registration needed to download).

For modeling/animation you need this -> Blender.

For making scripted mods you need this -> Python 3.3 and this -> Automated decompiler for Sims 4 sources, also you need 7-Zip or WinRar for unpacking/repacking .ts4script files - just change the extension of the file to .zip and extract the scripts with any archiver program which supports zip format.

And if we speak exactly about the adult side of modding, then for making adult animations you obviously need this -> Wicked Whims and this -> Animation XML Templates.

Hi!

Welcome to the discussion!

It would be great to see some more furniture and objects/deco being created here,

I don't really know the process but @Julie J is well schooled in both outings of 3 & 4 and hopefully can give some info on whether the process is similar or not ?

If poser is similar to pose player, it's possible to try your hand there too as the file is very easy to create after your happy with your blend files

I'm a bit rusty with Sims 3 - only just got it back up and running again. I guess the actual mesh procedures are similar but texturing is totally different.

I used TSR Workshop for Sims 3 and Sims4Studio for Sims 4.

Also recommend using Milkshape for Sims 3 rather than Blender with TSR's wso files.

Sims 3 works with masks for the colour channels and Sims 4 are larger texture files with one texture file per recolour.

Hope this helps :)

Archived