Metro 2033/last light

Strelky

0_o, he repeatedly says "ripping from the main game, the ranger mode was never in the main game, it was dlc for metro 2033 that was free if you bought on pc and some other price for Xbox, and I argue that there is no real way a game is meant to be played, ranger doesn't interest me because its too hard for me, so if I like the game enough to the point that I want it to take longer, than sure ill pay $5 for it.

When a game developer\publisher says "the way it was meant to be played" and then proceeds to attempt to charge money for it as DLC then they have crossed the line and have become an EA clone who lives to fuck their customers.

The quote from the game maker is right there in print and to date has not been retracted (as it clearly is a fuck up on their part).  Standards for games have and should contain normal and hard modes (easy is not necessarily required).  A nightmare mode (or some other hardcore mode) is fine to release WAY after the fact, like a month down the line after release.

All and all this is one of those, smells like shit, looks like shit, tastes like shit........so it MUST be shit type deals.  Giving the impression that you are fucking your customer base is never a good idea in any marketing scheme.......well other than EA's of course.

Sorry to say it but it's Publishers pulling BS like this that is the reason more and more people are resorting to the Illegal Pirating of these games because the pirates give you everything FOR FREE they don't say "buy the game then say oh but you got to pay us extra for this this and this if you want the full game experience".  :angry:

I don't agree with what they're doing, but I can see why they're doing it. THQ ran completely out of money and had to sell. The reason deep silver bought it is because they thought they could make money off of it. So they need a way to make money to make up for the money they spent on the license. Basically they need to make lots of money quickly. And what better way than to have overpriced dlc? Whatever happens, there will always be people like me who pre-ordered really early at the price of $65, no matter how much of an asshole the move makes you. There will be people who will buy it.

I don't agree with what they're doing, but I can see why they're doing it. THQ ran completely out of money and had to sell. The reason deep silver bought it is because they thought they could make money off of it. So they need a way to make money to make up for the money they spent on the license. Basically they need to make lots of money quickly. And what better way than to have overpriced dlc? Whatever happens, there will always be people like me who pre-ordered really early at the price of $65, no matter how much of an asshole the move makes you. There will be people who will buy it.

Except that logic is flawed. If push comes to shove people who don't like publishers who over charge for DLCs will do one of two things A: they won't buy the DLCs or B: they will pirate the game or at the very least the DLCs seeing as Deep Silver doesn't use a DRM getting the DLCs for a pirated game would be very simple.

The Logical course of action is to not overcharge for the game or the DLCs but concentrate on making the game good enough that people want to pay the cost of the game or any DLCs that are released and a smart company wouldn't have a mode pulled from the game unless you pre-order it or pay an extra fee to get it after release then turn around and say Ranger Mode "is how the game is meant to be played"

That right there pisses me off and is enough to possibly make me not bother with buying the game.

That'd be the logical and sensible course of action yes. But this is deep silver, and it boils down to how much money you can make/steal with big corporations like that. Besides, like I said, there will always be people who either don't care or are willing to pay the extra money to help revive the series

Metro Last Light Pre-order Edition "slobber" :D

Yea, my will power was weak and I caved in and bought it as well.......strangely......I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt or remorse.  :blush:

EDIT:  Well......it has been released......anybody playing it yet?  I can't play it until later today but the suspense, is bugging the crap out of me.  :blush:

Metro Last Light Pre-order Edition "slobber" :D

Yea, my will power was weak and I caved in and bought it as well.......strangely......I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt or remorse.  :blush:

EDIT:  Well......it has been released......anybody playing it yet?  I can't play it until later today but the suspense, is bugging the crap out of me.  :blush:

Steam says 2 days left.

As good as Last Light may look, I will not buy it. I simply refuse to support Koch's absurd money grabbing. 5$ for a DIFFICULTY MODE? A simple change in damage/health/weapon or ammo scarcity and maybe perhaps improved ai? Fuck that shit. And some might say that I should simply just pre-order. And to them I say, Aliens: Colonial Marines. A:CM was just another example of why pre-ordering is a terrible investment to make. I'm not going to spend $60 or more on a game that isn't out yet, and I have no knowledge of what the final product looks like and how it actually plays despite whatever hype I may have or whatever dinky little pre order bonuses are available. And speaking about pre order bonuses...

Let's see here... Okay, so there's ranger mode, a comic, a gun, and... in game currency? Let's remember here people, Metro is labeled as a hardcore survival FPS. It's a niche game that is played by a lot of hardcore gamers, so essentially Koch is alienating a chief part of their Metro fans from the game. With all of this in mind, why would you take away the preferred difficulty mode aka ranger mode aka "the way the way the game was meant to played" and put it as a pre order bonus with a free gun and free in game currency. Doesn't that sort of diminish the survival aspect of the game when you're simply given this stuff? So now hardcore gamers who want to play the game the way it was meant to be played are forced to either pre order the game (which it probably is too late to do st this point) along with unwanted free things or pay 5 bucks for it. Wow.

And then Koch has the nerve to blame retailers for taking ranger mode out when they already have perfectly bonuses to begin with! What, the gun, MG bullets and comic wasn't enough?

And yet still developers and publishers wonder why people pirate games.

Until Koch gets their

shit together I refuse to buy their games. Plain and simple.

/rant

It was released in the US last night with the times varying by time zone. 

If I was waiting for this game I would become VERY ANGRY right now. XD

Digital distribution is such a

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Yea, I don't get the whole delayed release by 2 days deal on steam.  I can understand as much as one day off due to how time zones work but 2 days is stupid.

I also agree with Angry Joe and The Mad God on the Ranger mode deal.  That seems a bit strange to me.

To set the record straight the game does have easy, normal and hard modes that come with the vanilla offering.  I just got a chance to fire it up and have played through several missions.  It reminds me heavily of its predecessor.  So far I like what I am seeing.

Add to that what is fucking point of preordering now? If you are getting game, 2u fucking days later? Anyone?

At some point Gabe said that success of digital distribution is that consumers are getting their orders right now or even they can preload stuff.

But some distributors don't get a fucking clue about it and I hope that they will bankrupt in pain ;)

How he even managed to miss that is beyond me. I'm fairly certain that this was made clear the moment the game opened for preorders a couple of months back.

Also, as other people have already pointed out - Ranger mode was part of free DLC for metro 2033, it wasn't with the original game - it was not "how the original game was meant to be played".

I won't say that I'm happy about it, but with how the gaming industry is looking today I can't really say that I'm surprised, nor will I blame them for trying to make an extra buck. I've seen people pay far more than 5 bucks for lesser content than a new gamemode.

Yeah, it was free DLC. Free being the operative word.

Also, they are actively advertising this mode as the "way it's meant to be played". Whether or not this is true for the original is irrelevant, it's true here because the developers have said so. So yeah, dick move.

Well I clocked about 91/2 hours on my first play through.  I didn't fully explore every nook and cranny but I did wander around a bit.  All and all I would have to agree with Total Biscuit in that this game is extremely linear.  As long as that doesn't bother you then you will probably like it.  I did like it and plan on another play through in ranger mode.

I broke down and bought it but I haven't gotten to play it yet. I'm not really surprised it's linear most games that aren't an MMO or TES style game tend to be linear to some degree.

True.  However this one is pretty rigidly so.  There are only a couple area's in the whole game you can wander a bit and they are not all that large.

The stalker series is was a very well done open world space FPS.

Wow, what a dickish move with the "Ranger mod" difficulty. I tend to play games on higher difficulties as a matter of course. I am *not* paying an extra $5 for the difficulty level. 

I think this just puts into perspective CDProjekt Red's FREE enhanced edition updates for The Witcher II, with hours of extra gameplay, quests, cutscenes, weapons, armour and bugfixes all rolled into one.

You know the funny thing? When I heard of it, I thought it was some sort of re-release and I'd have to pay £35 for it. I was fully prepared to actually pay that amount of money for the Enhanced Edition. I nearly fainted with joy when I found out it was free. So the trick here, to get a customer ready to shell out £35 for additional content, but not $5 for a difficulty level, is pretty simple: If your game is good, it sells itself.

Till publishers learn this lesson, dick moves like these will only further encourage piracy. As far as I'm concerned, they deserve it. 

This game has the worst design ever, having no hud or crosshairs in ranger mode is nice. But not being able to count the total amount of ammo you have left is ridiculously dumb. Also why are the assault rifles so underpowered? Those furry claw assholes get killed by 1 shotgun shot or a knife throw, but it takes half a fucking clip to kill it with my AK? Seriously? Currently in the catacombs with no ammo whatsoever, and cornered by furries = screwed....

Archived