Stopping settlers from looting the workshop?

guk

Close to 2500 hours playtime, people have reported this in the past 2.5 years and i always said it was bullshit: Settlers looting guns from the workshop stash.

For some reason this is happening all the time in my current playthrough, mostly noted this in Hangman's Alley where one particular settler was repeatedly caught with at least seven WH-77s in her pockets. She didn't even equip them because the gun i gave her was already better.

Others also consequently loot items directly from corpses during settlement attacks, which is something i haven't seen before. And it also is a bit annoying with the extra attackers from the More Attackers-GOMBZ mod, when you have to strip search 20+ settlers just to check what the missing legendary drop was.

So the question: Is there anything particular that increases the chance for a settler to take items?

In my current game i have a lot of shops built, and crafting stations next to them for faster selling of stashed items. Otherwise i can only guess that this started with either one of the recent FO4 patches, or another mod like UFO4P or All Settlements Extended.

38 minutes ago, Polistiro said:

Try to equip all your settlers with modded weapons (any mod) . I saw that in a youtube video.

Already did that, and there seems to be no pattern why they take which weapon (in terms of DPS, damage per shot, item value etc).

I just checked a few settlers in Hangman's Alley - the problem seems to be the worst in that place, because the settlers constantly get into fights with the nearby encounter zone

izV9f3fu_o.jpg

1) Settler took a much worse version of the same custom gun (rare drops so they are from my stash)

XgV4gRqE_o.jpg

2) Settler took an unmodded version of a vanilla gun (this one is definitely from a corpse, because i don't stash laser rifles)

yxhbBlS5_o.jpg

3) Settler took 3 custom guns and equipped none - one of them having higher DPS and much higher sell value

51 minutes ago, Polistiro said:

Maybe a mod affecting combat AI.

Hangman's Alley settlement is annoying because enemies spawning inside.

The only way i see is to avoid them the access the workshop with something like electric doors.

Well this definitely hasn't happened to this extent in previous playthroughs (if at all, i wouldn't have noticed).

New is the All Settlements Extended mod, which increases the borders of Hangman's Alley a lot and thus causes the settlers to get into combat every time you get there. And More Attackers - Get Off My Buildzone has a patch to move all the spawns outside the borders.

Apparently i have nothing better to do on a summer morning, so i just made this nice image in 3840x2160 to show my theory about why this happens:

Gwg2avTP_o.jpg

• Top-Left (Red) is the "hotspot" encounter, which respawns at least once per day. Two random factions spawn in the two alleys and fight it out.
  • Top (Green) is a checkpoint with guards, sniper, turrets and all that, which always gets the whole settlement into combat with the hotspot.
  • Right-Center (Yellow) is where settlers hang out near the shops and crafting stations.

So i think that whenever the checkpoint puts the idle settlers or vendors into combat, they have a chance to take a gun from one of the crafting stations next to them. The guys assigned as guards on the borders never took anything from the workshop, although they also run past crafting stations during combat.

Honestly i don't really care about the guns, i just keep the best ones stashed so i can equip guards and provisioners, or sell them when i buy ammo and crafting mats.

It's just puzzling because i've never seen a settler stealing 7 guns he doesn't even equip. Perhaps it really has something to do with FO4 / UFO4P updates, or a conflict of these with an outdated AI mod like Arbitration.

i dont think their stealing it is a vanilla thing. to bad they dont grab better armor too. that way you dont need to give them better armor this is also happens when their are power armor they will enter it during combat but exit it when combat is finished and will leave the power in adifferent spot. for power armor remove the fusion core and it will be save. as for weapons dont leave them in your workshop just build a crate and stash them in their instead.

Not sure if your using some better combat mods like making everyone use ammo etc.. if that is the case then maybe why they grab other weapons is because they ran out of bullitsfor there current gun.

after looking at the picture you showed looks like they tried to get better weapons but could not use it since they dont have the ammo for it. try giving them ammo for those new weapons they took and that is better they wont take weapons is less damage value.

Archived