NPC Facegen data

So, I have a question as to the purpose of the textures generated by the CK when creating NPCs.

In the mod I’m working on, I’ve created a custom set of leveled NPCs. Their facegen data was auto exported by the CK. In the texture filepath, there is a dds and a tga for each layer. The dds is an empty texture while the the tga has the correct face textures. When packing the archive, only the dds packs in.  What’s the point of packing a blank dds file?  It just takes up drive space and I see no benefit to it being there.

secondly, the facegen data (both geometry and textures) was never generated for my companion mod, yet she works just fine for myself and others.

so is any of the exported data really required?  And if it was, wouldn’t it create conflicts with pther face mods?

I can be wrong, but in FO4 these things are used ingame from the npc settings.
TGA has not been used in Skyrim and older Bethesda Games.
I think the Tga and the empty dds can go to the trash.

Unless you want to change the dds manually with tattoos or similar.
Maybe that's why there's the dds - or it's a corpse of CK, like TGA

I’ll try dumping the dds files and see of it screws with my playtesters. The tga is exported as a resource is my guess. It just seemed odd to have a blank dds generated with no mipmap layering. It just adds fat to the download, but I wasn’t sure if ditching them was okay. I just found it weird that my companion mod never had them generated, but my leveled actors did. /shrug

Thanks for the reply!

Archived