Roleplaying Styles

Myst42

Simple Roleplaying Choices  

428 members have voted

1. 1. What's your preferred alignment playstyle/motivation/endgoal?

• Good
    • Evil
    • Money/Self Interest
  2. 2. What's your favorite class style?

• Warrior/Melee
    • Rogue/Archery
    • Magic - AKA Fireballs FTW
    • Stealth - Assassin
    • Stealth - Thief
  3. 3. What attribute do you consider the most valuable in a character?

• Strength (Fighting prowess, endurance, bashing things)
    • Intelligence (Wisdom, scholarship, knowledge, being smart)
    • Stealth (Strategy, cunning, being unseen)
  4. 4. When you roleplay do you consider NPCs...

• Valuable characters, part of an immersive world
    • Means to an end
    • NPCs? They're just target practice. Kill them all! it's soooo fun
  5. 5. When you make a character...

• I invest time in concept, details, maybe even a backstory...
    • Nah, they're just fucktoys. Show me the boobies already!
  6. 6. Do you prefer

• Romance/Immersive relations
    • Rape/Violent behavior
    • Random unnimmersive fucking
  7. 7. Do you even roleplay in RPGs?

• Yes
    • No

yeah I get what you are trying to say but choosing good and bad is just not that interesting and even though they may difer or add a little bit to how they do things around them or what motivates them they still become too much of a cookie-cutter type characters...Some people would just have the freedom of doing things regardless of moral implications as long as it benefits them...while strictly good or strictly evil characters may deviate on some things but they still have to maintain their path...the root word I am looking for when roleplaying is "Freedom"...

Tyrion Lannister: "If I told you to murder an infant girl say, still at her mother breast’s, would you do it without question?"

Bronn: "Without question? No. I'd ask how much..."

Good characters would say "I am not some kind of monster!! perish the thought!"

Evil characters would say "OH HELL YES...WEAK PATHETIC HURRR DURRR!!!"

chaotic neutral IMO makes more interesting dialogues...

Again, I made this silly pool thinking differently.

It has both everything and nothing to do with that D&D alingment characterization

As a personal thought, both in RP and in my life I consider freedom one of the most valuable things in the world, and i've went through a lot of trouble for that even.

I dont see good and evil as limitations and I'm not talking about playing by the book

I guess that's the difference between my idea of an alignment/motivation and the traditional D&D system

I consider them root components of an individual's personality

Freedom is the ability to do what you want

But still there is someone who directs the course of such freedom, who is the free individual.

If that individual is evil, their freedom will allow them to do evil things

If that individual only cares about themselves, they will be free to take the choice that benefits them the most

I'm not talking about moral restrictions here, I'm talking about true morals. What does your inner self want you to do?

Chaotic neutrals, despite their chaoticness and their neutrality are still motivated by something. Even something as basic as self preservation is stilll a motivation and it can be free of restrictions as much as you want.

And yet as chaotic as they may be, some would choose to save a village rather than slaughtering everyone given that choice.

If motivations dont exist, then that would be a "random" aligned character. Someone who is incapable of making desitions because everything in their life would be the product of randomness.

I personnaly don't roleplay much. Not that I don't like the idea, just that I can never muster to stick to it. I just can't act out of my character. For exemple, In fallout 4, I've sided with the institute once and the minutes men the other. No matter what I do, I can't side with the BOS, nor the completely go with the railroad.

The other problem I have is that I can't sacrifice gameplay for roleplay. When I try to play a weak character for exemple, the moment I get stuck, I'm just "screw it. I'm going back to the way that work". Which is also why I'm in a love/hate relationship with most of the mods on loverslab. I love to had sex to the game. It's something that I think is part of our world, and I see why it has it's place here. But most of the mods are either romance mods or captivity mods. Romance is time consuming, captivity is repetitive. I usually end up using consoles command to get out of it.

On the other end, I'm playing pen and paper, and it's a lot easier to roleplay there. I have no problem playing something completely different than what I'm used to. I don't know why.

Bandit type characters focused on their own profit, neutral evil. I prefer pure strength and endurance with some intelligence, so they're not completely fucktarded. Warrior types, using mainly heavy armour, shields and blunt weapons.

NPCs are vital, without them it's just survival in the wilderness.

Creating a background and personality for my character makes it much more interesting, even if they're fucktoys.

I roleplay as a bandit, so rape is more common than deep romance. And it's easier. I haven't found many NPCs that I would like to have a deep relationship with.

You didn't really have an option for Chaotic Neutral or simply Neutral. Which, is generally what PC's end up as after a few hundreds of hours in Skyrim. Unless that is, the player is very careful to NOT do that. Otherwise, you end up raping and enslaving NPC's, helping dadric princes, then giving a coin to a beggar, and then you solve a murder putting a less powerful crazy person in jail. Meanwhile don't mind me I'm just summoning atronarchs to kill the guards lol.

You didn't really have an option for Chaotic Neutral or simply Neutral. Which, is generally what PC's end up as after a few hundreds of hours in Skyrim. Unless that is, the player is very careful to NOT do that. Otherwise, you end up raping and enslaving NPC's, helping dadric princes, then giving a coin to a beggar, and then you solve a murder putting a less powerful crazy person in jail. Meanwhile don't mind me I'm just summoning atronarchs to kill the guards lol.

No I didnt.

To be honest I kinda hate the "chaotic neutral" thing. Everybody wants to be chaotic neutral and I feel like it's just not "cool" anymore. Chaotic neutrals everywhere.

Yeah yeah... go ahead and call me a hipster. I'm just a very grumpy person

Also, read the post above.

This is NOT the D&D alignment system

I meant motivations. Even chaotic neutrals have them

Also this is simple not complex. Details go elsewhere

I think "Money/Self Interest" defines most of the chaotic neutral population very well as they just do whatever the hell they want for lulz

Some rare cases of chaotic neutrals could even be good or evil if they prefer a more civilized way to act or a more destructive one.

Meh...

All this chaoticness and neutrality proves the walking dead universe theory though

In a world with no rules or consequences, 50% of the population would still have a sense of morals, while the other half would probably become a road rapist/bandit

Just sayin...

While i do it for the money i generally am chaotic nuetral as in i wouldnt do something tedious when a quicker option is right there, a good example would be in SWTOR where u are given the option to save the crew and fight you way to a generator, or just reset the systems where u are and suck them into space, i chose the later, every time. IRL i wouldnt know if i would do the same, but then again most would do the extra work to keep up appearances

I pick warriors because im no good at stealth, id rather bead a path of destruction than a trail of bodies finessely killed and hidden away, and i usually create demon or savage like characters so that works out for me.

as i said i use warrior so ill run with strength until it caps out then work on other attribute.

NPCs are just NPCs if they dont bother me ill do what i can to either keep them alive or not injure them if possible.(means to an end)

For characters like i said i make demonic/savage characters even more so if its female, i think its badass. occasionally ill make a mystical character who looks like a goddess who descends down on the hero like in some rpg. if i make a backstory then i really like that character, ive done it a few times

if I go for romance and relations it would be with someone thats survived through the same battles and would have created some kind of bond with them

RPing in for me its kind of a grey area, i dont really role play i just roam around letting the stories develop by themselves if that makes sense

If its online im usually an assassin so saying or doing much would go against the ninja feeling i like to give off

Sorry if its too long i spaced out and this happened

I try roleplaying my character every time I start a new game, and I can stick to my initial proposition as long as the class attributes/skills aren't maxed, and the main questline for my character type is pending. Once this is accomplished, boredom kicks in. The need to level up further to get more training session will soon force you to rely on other skills, completely out of character, and you may find yourself playing as a "jack of all trades" that is quite the opposite of roleplaying. This is also why RPGs in general are not so open-ended as some would make you believe.

Even so, Oblivion is and will ever be my favorite game. It's just question of starting a new game, installing a few new mods perhaps, and choosing who you want to be this time.

My Skyrim characters, when I do get invested in them, tend to be a bit of a deviation from my usual playstyles with these games. I usually play a real paladin/do-gooder of a character, but especially since bondage-ing up my Skyrim, my character is less warm and cuddly. Most of my characters, thouhg, will still give to beggars, help out people in need (if there's pay or status involved), and  only kidnap genuinely bad people who've attacked her, or members of enemy factions. My vampire build is another story. If you're pretty, you're going downstairs to be a new Cattle, and Bandit slaves are free extra meals. 

All of my choices seem the be the prevailing ones. If the poll were held anywhere other than this den of iniquity I'd be surprised at that, especially given the ubiquity of the stealth archer style of play, an approach so successful that one could say Bethesda inadvertently hard coded it in there. 

We dedicated roleplayers are quite forgiving when it comes to the limitations of the medium, most of what we do exists in our imagination anyway, we just need props and a bit of decent world building and we're off to a good start. So Skyrim's deficiencies with regard to story telling and consequence of action are things I can live with, because in all other respects it gives me lots of free rein.

Which is why I've never been able to enjoy games like The Witcher, for all of it's brilliance as a story driven adventure with lots of rpg  knobs to twiddle in defining how I get the job done,  it's all about Geralt and I haven't had a say in who he is and why. 

The poll tends to suggest we LL pervs are big on roleplay. I guess that's no surprise. 

• 1 month later...

This poll is only what I most prefer, as I give each character I make a different person and breathe life into them. So I guess no 1 playthrough is the same. That being said:

What's your preferred alignment? Good. I don't really consider this heavily though, each character of mine believes they are good from their own perspective. Even if others may consider them bad or evil lol.

What's your favorite class style? Warrior/Melee I guess mainly because the thought of carrying and slaying things with a big ass battleaxe gets the testosterone flowing. I feel like if I were in said universe instead of real life I'd still choose the same. Mages are damn milk drinkers.

What attribute do you consider the most valuable in a character? Strength. Obviously for the reasons above. However, I'm not just a dumb brute. I can solve a rubix cube too! Promise!

When you roleplay do you consider NPCs... Valuble characters, part of an immersive world. For the most part. Unless they are Nazeem or other annoying NPCs. I usually wind up silencing them. Then I kick it with my boy, Heimskr.

When you make a character... I invest time in concept, details, maybe even a backstory... I do this with pretty much every character I make. Mainly women, for obvious reasons. I have made a few men though. Gotta have my pops... err not cereal. Gotta have my Nord with a big burly beard. Glorious!

Do you prefer... Rape/Violent behavior. Mainly because it fits with my interpretation of the lore of my world. Bandits would certainly rape the people they didn't wind up killing when they rob them. Slaves would be tossed around imperial camps because that just makes sense. Entertainment for the men, as it were.

Do you even roleplay in RPGs? No. I mean I play the part I want to play. So in a sense I guess kind of? I don't live by rules dictated by others. I make my own rules.

• 1 month later...

What's your preferred alignment playstyle/motivation/endgoal?
Good

What's your favorite class style?
Rogue/Archery

What attribute do you consider the most valuable in a character?
Stealth (Strategy, cunning, being unseen)

When you roleplay do you consider NPCs...
Valuable characters, part of an immersive world

When you make a character...
I invest time in concept, details, maybe even a backstory...

Do you prefer
Romance/Immersive relations

Do you even roleplay in RPGs?
Yes

Generally I always roll some kind of chaotic good operator as fuck rogue. I never found black and white paragons of righteousness or edgy psychopaths fun to play. I always try to keep NPCs alive for as long as I can and I usually end up sleeping with them if they're hot and got my back. And yes I like to roleplay as much as I can in games.

Antihero.

Tinkerer/Diplomat

Charisma

The world is less interesting without them

Most of the time I have a few well rehearsed roles which I find comfortable and fun. For new games I usually put some thought in to who they are and what they want. If the game doesn't seem fair or works against me (hello Fallout4) then I sometimes abandon the role and just play the game mechanics to see how the plot works out.

Do you prefer...

Not above using Submit to charm shopkeepers and landladies for the disposition bonus and/or free bed. On the other hand, tend also to use sex as an aid to slave training. Not interested in random bonking for no good reason.

Do you?

Neutral, for the greater good

Dual wielding 1h longsword + 1hshortsword , using various potion to enhance abilities also charming attitude means high charisma, commander style using mercs. Yeah a Commander/Leader class. Something akin to Paladins but less restrictive.

Charisma ( talking your way out of combat without getting dirty ) and seducing/charming peps

I don't consider them as an empty shell when RPing

I put strong focus on the aesthetics, weapon&armor design, way too much I would say. I like to write my own stories/backstories but its quite hard to fit them in Skyrim lore for example because I tend to go too far.

Do you prefer...
Non sexual relationships, sex only if you are worth the hassle

Yesh

Maybe a bit of a tangent but for Skyrim I'd prefer romancey stuff if it was more romancey. Like Amorous Adventures is fun, well written and humorous at times, but I don't really feel the looove. It's more like a really cool dude showing up and aggressively hitting on easy chicks. Same with SLEN.

The rapey stuff on the other hand requires way less to be convincing, all you have to do is put one character as the victor and the other as the loser, which Skyrim even does to begin with if you look at the Bleedout condition that ALL NPCs are affected by.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll always remember KotOR - played the first time as a good guy. Then I started a secon playthrough so I could see how the other side is, but ended up making the good choices again. I just can't be an asshole, even with computer characters.

Huh... same here.

Though it was KOTOR that helpd me out develop my own kind of philosophy of my evil self

Its a strange kind but here's how it goes:

You can be a sith lord if you want.

But you dont have to murder innocents just for lulz or betray your friends and be a constantly angry blood thirsty bastard who cares for nothing other than power.

Dark side points were earned by brutally and mercilessly abusing those who you considered "evil"

The rest was made by taking advantage of the situations that could gain you profit

But you're always thinking on "the greater good" and of course, that means your own good first as well

Is closer to a "grey jedi" if im correct, but the point is, the central belief of the thing is, the force needs balance, and you are not afraid to dwell in dark things because both sides are part of a whole. And that also means killing you enemies is fuuuun

I think for the first option you could add a 'has a code' as a somewhat neutral option. Most of my RPed characters end up that way. It is easier for me to choose a base set of rules at the beginning and stick to them as good as the game permits, than say, playing a strictly good or evil guy/gal, because both require an staggering amount of attention to detail to do them 'right'.

As for choice of weapons/fighting style I recently discovered bound weapons for me (at least in Skyrim), since they don't take up inventory space, make for a great back-up and even the mage I am currently playing turned out to be a hoarder(ess?), just like all my chars eventually do....

And I think you should add an option for both romance-type sex and that rape stuff... with my current setup both have their place in my game, but the later is exceedingly rare in comparison with the former. Using SL Defeat is not only a great way to avoid reloading a save you made about an hour ago, but also adds some roleplaying capabilities to your gameplay, even if it only adds a second chance and more motivation to defeat that pesky rapist who got the best of you.

Huh... same here.

Though it was KOTOR that helpd me out develop my own kind of philosophy of my evil self

Its a strange kind but here's how it goes:

You can be a sith lord if you want.

But you dont have to murder innocents just for lulz or betray your friends and be a constantly angry blood thirsty bastard who cares for nothing other than power.

Dark side points were earned by brutally and mercilessly abusing those who you considered "evil"

The rest was made by taking advantage of the situations that could gain you profit

But you're always thinking on "the greater good" and of course, that means your own good first as well

Is closer to a "grey jedi" if im correct, but the point is, the central belief of the thing is, the force needs balance, and you are not afraid to dwell in dark things because both sides are part of a whole. And that also means killing you enemies is fuuuun

I played this way with my female character in Mass Effect.

My favorite type of villains - cruel, cold, but honorable. So rare.

I'm old-school - all my roleplaying is done with dice and paper (I more than likely have dice older than a lot of you folks)... Video games are pretty much mindless entertainment.

If I'm doing a serious play-through of a video game, about the most depth of character I get into is basically just making the obvious choices that benefit the character the most. But mostly, I'm just running quests and grinding xp.

Generally, though, I eventually get bored or don't have the dedication to stick with a serious play-through and just use the game to entertain myself by stealing everything and head-shotting everyone. And then posing their corpses in unspeakable ways, lol.  (I once killed everyone in Castle Leyawiin in order to recreate The Last Supper...) :D

This is from the last time I got bored. Everyone got hats. it's really all about just pushing the boundaries of the game and seeing what new and interesting things I can do with it. Which is why I joined this place.

In paper-and-dice games, my characters are all over the place as far as race, sex, alignment, class, psychology, etc. (thirty-four years of playing D&D and other rpgs, I've run just about every type of character most folks can imagine), although I do have a tendency to play rogues and ranger types, most often very clever, and veer towards a principled sort of Chaotic Neutral - they generally have a personal code, it just doesn't necessarily resemble most other folks' codes so it sometimes comes across as moral flexibility.

In video games I tend to go for quick or stealthy characters, dual-wielding or using ranged weapons.

I'll always remember KotOR - played the first time as a good guy. Then I started a secon playthrough so I could see how the other side is, but ended up making the good choices again. I just can't be an asshole, even with computer characters.

I know that feeling well.  I design my characters to be amoral smart-arses and then inevitably end up doing the right thing at every opportunity. But then I also assume that anyone who tries to kill me forfeits any right to fair treatment, and so I have no problem collaring cute raider/bandit girls, enslaving them, and generally abusing them. And I have been known to pick on people that haven't offered me any harm as well, at least if I'm sure that they don't have any game function that will be broken by doing so.

So I guess my people aren't that nice, either. It's why I've come to think of my default alignment as "bastard handicapped by an inconvenient conscience".

• 1 month later...

I mostly play an evil character that murders bastards that get in my way. Sometimes I play the good guy but I still end up killing bastards that get in my way. Games like Skyrim kind of make it hard not to murder things. That is why I like to choose mods to curb down on the killing. Murder is hard work afterall. I think I'll play a masochistic paladin next.

Preferred Alignment: Self Interest but still evil from most people's perspective

Preferred Play Style: Some kind warrior with magic, technically still warrior but can use magic like wizard

Preferred Attribute: smart and strong for short version

NPC's: just not random mass generated

Character Creation: suppose to be myself but not myself in real world

Sex: immersive relation with rape element

Roleplay: not really, but I guess since I feel like I really live in that world, is that consider as roleplay ?

Archived