3dsMax 2013/2014 (64 Bit) Full Plugin - Updated!

blabba

Hey, I picked up the 2010 niftools 3dsmax plugin codebase and spent the last week just converting it to be compliant with 3dsmax 2014 (and I think it's compliant with 3dsmax 2013)

I haven't had a chance to really thoroughly test it out. I'd appreciate people willing to backup their current plugins and giving me some feedback on problems with the plugin.

I only really care about Skyrim support, although since this is the original 2010 max codebase, older nifs for fallout and such should still work (dunno though)

Feedback/testing would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

(Install instructions are the same as the normal nifplugins for 3dsmax)

Installation:

1. Back up your current version of nifplugins (If your using the 2013/2014 .nif plugins from TESRenewal, make sure you backup/move these 2 files: ehamplugin.dlu and niflib_x64.dll)
  2. Paste in the contents of the folder!
  3. Report issues/success back here please or on my github page  :D

Known Issues:

1. Havok Collision Imports are not correct.
  2. Currently if you export meshes with a morpher on them they will be converted into NiGeomMorpherController branch. This is deprecated for skyrim.

Planned Features:

1. Add in Eham's changes to allow importing particle systems, SwitchNodes etc...
  2. Add in string support for looking through local directory from where you opened .nif to find textures (loose files)
  3. Add in BodyTRI import features (Skyrim RM feature)
  4. Add in improved auto outfit conforming modifier
  5. Look into the possibility of auto exporting layer masks of objects for Dye Framework support (Skyrim Only)

Change Log:

1. Changed bone import to default to BoneGeometry objects instead of dummy helpers. Also activated 'Use as Bone' flag by default on import.
  2. Changed default .ini setting to have bones imported as lines by default
  3. Fixed NifTools shader. Textures will be linked to material if files are loose and in skyrim/textures directory (you can set it in the .ini like older max plugins)
  4. No more memory errors from importing .nif's with multiple nitrishapedata and applying the BSdismemebrmodifier on them.
  5. Added in Hacky fix for texture importing, now textures will be correctly found relative to their "Meshes" or "meshes" folder if you opened them up from a directory setup similar to bethesda games.
  6. Added new ini Setting "AltPaths" read the .ini file for an example of how to use. It basically allows you to set alternative search paths for external files like textures etc...
  7. Added BodyTri import
  8. Internal code cleanup, fixed misc issues like normals not showing on import until you select object in viewport etc...
  9. Fixed Niftool Shader import.
  10. Fixed BSLightingShaderProperties not correctly being parented to geometry.
  11. Fixed Open with Nifskope Dialog Prompt on export.
  12. Updated to latest dev branch of Niflibs and Nifxml
  13. Cleaned up NifQHull redundancy (renamed to CollisionHull.cpp)
  14. Fixed BSDismember (Non-rewrite version, my personal re-write version will become available at a later time/date, it just needs more testing and potentially slight re-design for future proofing newer bethesda games)
  15. NifLib API updated/fixed to expose certain functions

3dsMax 2014 Nif Plugin.rar

You might be doing allot of rework. Someone has already updated the plugin to work pretty well in MAX 2013 and 2014. It hasn't seen any further updates since last November, but it does import and display the textures as long as you have the paths set right. It also imports the skeleton properly, it doesn't at this point work right with animations. I have used it to make a few animals for Skyrim. Is does not however export to Fallout 3/NV or Oblivion properly anymore. So using an older version of MAX and the plugin is recomended. Here is the link to the version that is up on TESRenewal, http://tesrenewal.com/forums/tools-and-coding/nif-importexport-plugin-for-3dsmax-2013. Maybe you can contact this person and offer to work with them on it, or maybe you can use his already uspdated codebase for a fork of your own. Good luck.

Edit: Just went through the posts over on TESRenewal and saw that you already have the sourcecode. Thats cool. I hope you can take this further than he did. And hopefully you will be able to make it work with Fallout 4 nifs when the game comes out in November. I know the code is going to have to be reworked to read the new nifs and I am sure that they are going to contain allot of new code for the all new lighting system in the game. Hopefully all the Nifscope and other niftool makers will not be all burned out and will update all the needed plugins for the game as fast as they did for Skyrim. Time will tell.

Edit: Just went through the posts over on TESRenewal and saw that you already have the sourcecode. Thats cool. I hope you can take this further than he did. And hopefully you will be able to make it work with Fallout 4 nifs when the game comes out in November. I know the code is going to have to be reworked to read the new nifs and I am sure that they are going to contain allot of new code for the all new lighting system in the game. Hopefully all the Nifscope and other niftool makers will not be all burned out and will update all the needed plugins for the game as fast as they did for Skyrim. Time will tell.

Yea, when I get time next week I plan on merging/modifying eham's changes into the plugin so that it works and is compliant with the old code base (therefore providing support still for Fallout 3 and oblivion)

I am not interested in the Fallout game series, so as such I will not be modding it or doing anything much for it. Though I have full confidence that other members of the community will step up to the plate and breathe life back into the niftools project.

I will be putting up my version of the source once I have more work done on it.

New Version is up.

I believe this version has pretty much all the functionality the old 2012 plugin had. So I'll just be focusing on adding things (mostly leaning towards getting it to a useable state for my own CITRUS conversions, so BODYTRI import etc...)

If there's any bugs though (besides havok collisions) please let me know and I'll do my best to patch it up.

New version up.

Minor fix to texture importing. New changes are going to be in green under changelog.

The current fix is kinda my own lazy noob c++ string fix. It only allows for successful texture imports provided you opened the .nif from skyrim-like hierarchy of "meshes\whatever\etc.." or "Meshes\whatever\etc..."

I'll need to fix this for those rare occasions when people type in paths like "MESHES\whatever\etc..." later. Also, I need to add in .ini settings for you to set alternative texture paths to look through, since if you open armours from an MO location, only the armour textures will show up but the body textures won't (assuming the armour mod did not include body textures)

sidetopic: is there some way to automaticly disable textures on a mesh while weight painting in 3dsmax2014? 2012 does that automaticly and imo it makes weight painting a LOT easier. cant find this option in 2014 though

Lol I don't think it's a feature in 2012, that's probably a bug xD

If your just going straight to skinning, just disable render texture in view when you import.

If you need to re-activate the textures in your view, then you can go to material editor select the material and re-sync it to viewport.

Holy shih-tzu, does this mean we're this much closer to having a working plugin for 2015? I'm drooling of the day that I don't have to have two versions of 3ds Max installed (actually, I drool of the day when the .nif file format is no longer a secretive glyph that requires entire communities of digital masterminds just to make working plugins, and we can freely convert from .nif to any other format out there using up-to-date software. A man can dream dammit!)

I'm kind of a huge blabba fanboy here and I may be a little biased, but this is amazing work as always! Thank you my orange friend!

Holy shih-tzu, does this mean we're this much closer to having a working plugin for 2015? I'm drooling of the day that I don't have to have two versions of 3ds Max installed (actually, I drool of the day when the .nif file format is no longer a secretive glyph that requires entire communities of digital masterminds just to make working plugins, and we can freely convert from .nif to any other format out there using up-to-date software. A man can dream dammit!)

I'm kind of a huge blabba fanboy here and I may be a little biased, but this is amazing work as always! Thank you my orange friend!

For plugins 2014+ currently all you should need to do is rebuild the source with the correct compiler and the updated SDK's

Unfortunately I don't feel like taking the time to download the SDK's and visual studio versions I need to get proper compilers. I probably won't update this plugin until maybe when 3dsmax 2017 comes out. I'll release the source though once I get this base version 100% working to my liking

Now just get animations working :^).

;)

I've started looking through figment's hkxcmd converter, luckily it's open source and doesn't look beyond my abilities to eventually kludge together and have the exporter just produce modder friendly hkx's...

I still have a bunch of other things to fix and add before I get to that step though :'(

sidetopic: is there some way to automaticly disable textures on a mesh while weight painting in 3dsmax2014? 2012 does that automaticly and imo it makes weight painting a LOT easier. cant find this option in 2014 though

Lol I don't think it's a feature in 2012, that's probably a bug xD

If your just going straight to skinning, just disable render texture in view when you import.

If you need to re-activate the textures in your view, then you can go to material editor select the material and re-sync it to viewport.

guess ill stick to 2012 for mesh moding for now then :x

i manualy correct pretty much every weight map after modding an armor, sometimes several times until moves just the way i want it to in game... disabling/enabling textures every time is just a pain -.-

Spending tonight playing some HOTS and working through with the nif plugin :D

Upcoming Changes:

- Added .ini setting "AltTexturePaths" to allow you to specify alternative texture paths for wherever you store textures that are not locally within the same "mod" directory. This is especially handy if you want to load meshes from Mod Organizer Mods, but say you have another mod that holds the female/male body textures. Well now you can get all the textures loaded :D

I briefly thought about adding .BSA support, but then decided against it for various reasons.

- Add BodyTri import support: (Need to finish the feature)

z23Dh.jpg

After I've finished this feature and debugged it some more I'll release the update.

Hey, Blabba,

First of all thxalot that you continue the development!

Just downloaded your Version (I couldn't get the lib to compile) and hope that at least the problems when editing the .ini file are solved.

Please keep up the work and do NOT get lost after some month as the other devs did.

Updated plugin,

I'm starting to focus on the exporter part of the plugin now, some features/bugfixes that'll be coming up next would be allowing bodytri export, fixing pathing issues with textures and relabelling the export UI to be clearer.

Also important announcement:

If you have 3dsmax 2015/2016 and would like to be a tester for my plugin on those platforms plz do PM me.

I had a freakout when upgrading to win10 and thought I lost my install of 3dsmax 2014, so I started installing 3dsmax 2016, but only got the sdk downloaded when I found a fix for my 2014 installation. So basically I have the setup to update the plugin for 2015/2016 as well, but since I don't have nor wish to install the latest versions of 3dsmax I'd need a tester to do that for me.

Anyone else getting constant crashes when trying to add a BSDismemberSkinModifier?

Just checked, and it crashed when i tried selecting polys for it, adding the modifier to the stack was fine though.

*edit*

It also imports them wrong, it sets them all to torso (which is at the top of the list) instead of what they where using.

Lol, I do not crash when trying to do either selecting or adding the modifier itself.

However, the import does not accurately show selected faces as well as the modifier itself does not correctly work.

I'll try bugfixing this immediately.

Archived