Fomm or NMM and why?

I'm currently using nmm just because I'm familiar with it and it's able to manage my skyrim and fallout mods with one appication. But I keep seeing that most people choose to use Fomm over nmm when playing a fallout game. Is there any reason to choose fomm over nmm?

Cause nmm can run downloads for you if it's from the nexus site and I find it pretty convenient with the exception that it's a buggy mess. 

What does fomm have over nmm exactly?

I'm currently using nmm just because I'm familiar with it and it's able to manage my skyrim and fallout mods with one appication. But I keep seeing that most people choose to use Fomm over nmm when playing a fallout game. Is there any reason to choose fomm over nmm?

Cause nmm can run downloads for you if it's from the nexus site and I find it pretty convenient with the exception that it's a buggy mess. 

i prefer NMM. ive had numerous problems with FOMM. crashing, unable to read FOMM files. installing sexout i still get some errors here and there.

BUt fomm has alot over nmm, i cant rly name it all. its just better, deal with the crashyness haha

i prefer NMM. ive had numerous problems with FOMM. crashing, unable to read FOMM files. installing sexout i still get some errors here and there.

BUt fomm has alot over nmm, i cant rly name it all. its just better, deal with the crashyness haha

My antivirus conflicts with nmm sometimes but I got that fixed. I basically had all of the same issues you had and more with fomm. 

Any software where the developers tell you to disable your firewall to use it, is a no-no.

That, and NMM was a buggy mess the one time I tried it - wouldn't even install FWE for FO3 the same way for me that gopher had it do in his vid, even when I rolled back to the exact same version he used in his vid. Meh.

In extreme contrast, the only time I've ever had any issue with FOMM was with Prideslayer's testing versions here on LL, and that's entirely understandable; operative word being testing. Also seeing as how he's working at making it less of a buggy mess, hehe ;)

So, yeah, go with NMM and don't expect any support for Sexout mods, probably. Go with FOMM (Pride's version hosted here) and expect good feedback / support from a competent coder. Sans any bullshit :cool:

Basic functionality-wise theres not a lot of difference between FOMM and NMM, especially since NMM was built from FOMMs code. For me, the main difference is extras. FOMM has a lot of functionality that NMM doesn't. BOSS and FNVEdit integration, BSA Browser and creator, various editing options, save game viewer to see what mods were active when the save was made, and many other options. It's just able to do more than NMM can.

It's probably possibly not the worst thing either, compared to adding mods manually; you'd need Vulcan-like powers of concentration and detail retention for that ;)

Or, as Zathras would say: "... and this, is the wrong tool. Never use this!"

Not really...... Well not for an Alien!

1. Create the mods folders in the proper folder structure and compress them (I use 7zip)
  2. Save a copy of clean data (again using 7zip) and save that somewhere safe
  3. Extract copy of Data to desktop or elsewhere to work
  4. extract the mods from step 1 in order of installation, remember the later mods will overwrite the files of the earlier mods
  5. When finished check the folder for any misplaced folders (wrong folders placed miss named files etc. general look)Shouldn't have any problems if you created the mod folders properly. ;)
  6. Drag the worked on data folder over to the game's data folder, click yes to overwrites
  7. Arrange the mods in proper order using the mod manager of choice (at this point even NMM would work, off line mod only)
  8. Start game play.

If there is a problem:

• Missing resource is needed add it manually to the working data folder (not the game folder) check for overwrites. Remember that you will be prompted for each file overwritten unless you "yes to all". Much the same as a mod manager.
  • If it is a problem with the load order (order of installation one file overwriting the other) and such you might be able to re-extract the files back over to the working folder then copy to the data folder. Or if you know the file in question just go to step one find the mod and navigate to the file in question and copy and past it to the proper folder in the working Data folder
  • If it is a mod removal. Well you can search out each and every little file that was added (findable from the mod folder that was constructed in step 1) or you can start over from scratch (well step 2).
  • Or give up and use a good mod manager which job is to keep track of the files and remove them effectively without all the extra work and effort. For those uninitiated in modding FOMM is the choice for use with Sexout. Use the one hosted here. :)

A mod manager like any program is designed to make life easier by keeping track and add and remove files easily. Nothing that someone couldn't do just a tedious pain in the A$$.

FYI the above was what I used to do with SCR resources. Might notice some resemblance to the SCR Resources Tutorial .... :angel: Didn't know you were manually installing mods did ya! :P (Well up to the point where you copy over the files into your Data folder that is. For that you use the manager in the tutorial... :D

@ChianaGeek

you'd need Vulcan-like powers of concentration and detail retention for that ;)

Really? If so why does the Federation have advanced quicker than they have in the 200 years or so of the Federation? Concentration only gets you so far....

Or, as Zathras would say: "... and this, is the wrong tool. Never use this!"

If Zathras was referring to NMM then he is wise indeed. Yes very wise indeed. :P

So I'm guessing that nmm in the long run has more problems than fomm does, however I don't really utilize the extra features included with fomm and I haven't gotten any errors with nmm recently so I'm probably fine sticking with nmm at the moment. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this, I probably would have gone with fomm if I didn't already have like 70+ mods installed, plus I'm already familiar with nmms interface. 

Maybe this should be pinned? or a moderator can create a more refined version showing the differences and what might suit the average user best. 

Well basically most of us use FOMM and have never used NMM so if you are having trouble getting it installed correctly and you are using NMM we have no idea how to help you so will leave it to someone else with NMM to help you.

Aren't there like transfer issues when you go from nmm to fomm though? say I was for example willing to transfer over to fomm now? how would I go about that? and would mods downloaded from the nexus still auto update?

Aren't there like transfer issues when you go from nmm to fomm though? say I was for example willing to transfer over to fomm now? how would I go about that? and would mods downloaded from the nexus still auto update?

Probably, like I said we can't help you with that because we've never tried it ourselves, delete everything and fresh install is only thing I can suggest unless you can find an NMM Guru to help you  :)

Probably, like I said we can't help you with that because we've never tried it ourselves, delete everything and fresh install is only thing I can suggest unless you can find an NMM Guru to help you  :)

Btw since I think you're in charge of pregnancy stable version, is there going to be any outfits added to the maternity clothes pack in the near future? 

But I'll message gopher on youtube, I think he has a great deal of experience in working with both managers.

Btw since I think you're in charge of pregnancy stable version, is there going to be any outfits added to the maternity clothes pack in the near future? 

But I'll message gopher on youtube, I think he has a great deal of experience in working with both managers.

New stuff all depends on people making it, as I don't do mesh stuff.

Well basically most of us use FOMM and have never used NMM so if you are having trouble getting it installed correctly and you are using NMM we have no idea how to help you so will leave it to someone else with NMM to help you.

You normally cannot go back to FOMM or change from NMM to FOMM. they use the same "install.log" and that is needed to keep the records that the mod managers need. You can see this in the manager of choice. Going from FOMM to NMM works going back .. not so much. I believe the key if it is even possible is with that file. Perhaps post a transfer question on Prides FOMM thread r/t to moving from NMM to FOMM and keeping your mods intact.

changes to the install log or loss of this file means there is no record of the installs that you have done. Essentially it appears as if you manually installed all the mods. Defeating one of the main reasons for using an manager.

There are (at least) two issues with using NMM and FOMM on the same game. In current versions of NMM and FOMM the default directories are "c:\games\<game>\" for FOMM and "c:\games\nexus mod manager\<game>\" for NMM. To use them both for the same game, you need to change one or the other so they use the same directory. If you do that and run NMM, the next time you run FOMM:

1. NMM "upgrades" the InstallLog.xml file to a format FOMM does not understand. This used to simply crash FOMM, if you use my version it will display an error and exit.

2. NMM uses a different system for setting the load order, one that is also used by new versions of Wrye.

Issue #1 is the main stumbling block. If you use FOMM and then accidentally use NMM, you can restore a backup of the xml file -- FOMM and NMM automatically create these. If you've never used FOMM and want to switch to it from NMM, you won't have an FOMM compatible backup of the file to switch to.

I intend to address both of these issues in FOMM but this string of 2GB issues has held me up -- one problem at a time. I think all that is fixed now so this is next on my list.

As an aside, I am also one of the mod authors that will not offer support to people using NMM (or no mod manager at all). I don't trust it to properly install complex mods and it's had trouble doing so in the past. I also don't like the attitude (for lack of a better word) of the Nexus admins or NMM developers, and therefore do not want to encourage people to use their "product" ;)

If you use FOMM and then accidentally use NMM, you can restore a backup of the xml file -- FOMM and NMM automatically create these.

So you can rename one of the backups (InstallLog.xml.bak) to InstallLog.xml? (basically delete the .bak). This could restore the managed files?

I assume that in any changed to the Data folder from installing mods after that back up was done would be lost. Those mods would not be managed anymore.

If you use FOMM and then accidentally use NMM, you can restore a backup of the xml file -- FOMM and NMM automatically create these.

So you can rename one of the backups (InstallLog.xml.bak) to InstallLog.xml? (basically delete the .bak). This could restore the managed files?

I assume that in any changed to the Data folder from installing mods after that back up was done would be lost. Those mods would not be managed anymore.

Right.

Every time you modify the packages in FOMM or NMM, it makes a new backup of the file and keeps several of them (FOMM keeps 6. InstallLog.xml.bak - InstallLog.xml.bak5). That's only if you point NMM and FOMM at the same Install Info directory -- which was the default in the first few versions of NMM, but isn't anymore.

I'm working on getting FOMM to understand and use the updated XML format now and might have a beta of FOMM with that functionality sometime this weekend. Of course the next time NMM updates the format, it might break it again. I wouldn't expect it to, but then, I get the impression the developers don't understand the point of XML at all -- there was no reason for it to break in the first place.

If you DO run FOMM and NMM in the same directory for the same game, the next time you run FOMM, it will show a popup window explaining that NMM has broken the xml file and how to fix it using those backups.

Of course if you've done a bunch of mods with NMM all the FOMM compatible backups might be gone. If you've never run FOMM, there is no FOMM compatible backup to use.

Oh that just gave me a thought. I'm going to change the backup filenames to InstallLog.xml.fomm.bak(1-10) or whatever. That way NMM will have to go out of its way to intentionally overwrite them if you use both programs. I don't think they care about FOMM users, but I don't think they're vindictive.

Oh that just gave me a thought. I'm going to change the backup filenames to InstallLog.xml.fomm.bak(1-10) or whatever. That way NMM will have to go out of its way to intentionally overwrite them if you use both programs. I don't think they care about FOMM users, but I don't think they're vindictive.

:ph34r:  NMM developers... sneak in, .  break FOMM.... sneak back out :ph34r:

I had troubles with sexout on FMM and no one helped me for awhile cause no one could figure it out. haha XD Soo. seems like people dont help either way most the times.