Nvidia Drivers missing in Win10 Apps

guk

DDU has already been very useful to me before, because this small tool makes it possible to perfectly clean remnants coming from previous GC drivers install: NVidia drivers that have been automatically set by Win 7 Pro to be "updated" after the OS install process. Yes, even that OS is insidious, to unplug first the network and internet connection would have saved me a lot of time ... I was able to uninstall NVidia Experience, a real gas plant this one, and installed the good custom one after that, having no problem since. Your AV may block DDU, so it is advised to perform this in a Safemode session.

Spoiler

Recommended usage:
-DDU should be used when having a problem uninstalling / installing a driver or when switching GPU brand.
-DDU should not be used every time you install a new driver unless you know what you are doing.
-The tool can be used in Normal mode but for absolute stability when using DDU, Safemode is always the best.
-Make a backup or a system restore (but it should normally be pretty safe).
-It is best to exclude the DDU folder completely from any security software to avoid issues.

Please, read this thread related on how to solve the problem with PhysX below:

Nvidia drivers still conflict with windows 10 driver updates.

Alright i just ran the installer of the latest drivers, with the "clean install" or whatever the extra option is called. All my settings and profiles are still intact, perhaps this was carried over by the Profile Inspector?

Well the performance in Fallout 4 seemed the same or better.

Still confused what Windows did there, since (when the driver entry was missing) the NV system panel was showing the exact driver version i last installed manually. Perhaps only the registry entry for the app installation was gone.

Just some tips for the future. You should always use the custom option during the install process and only checkmark stuff you actually will need and use.

Geforce Experience tries to optimize your games for you and if you play modded games and edit your ini settings, Geforce Experience will tinker with them also and stuff wont work like you intend. It also comes with Telemetry and I personally never install it.

3DVision is only needed if you use 3D eyeglasses. Its not needed for VR in anyway.

The base driver itself also comes with telemetry these days, which you may want to disable.

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/07/nvidia-telemetry-tracking/

22 hours ago, guk said:

Disabling the Telemetry seems a good idea, thanks

The autoruns.exe standalone free tool made by Mark Russinovich goes way beyond others autostart utilities. This friendly utility will scan:

1. auto-starting locations of any startup monitor and programs that are configured to run during system bootup or login
  2. various built-in Windows applications in your startup folder like Internet Explorer, Explorer and media players
  3. shows Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys
  4. reports Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects
  5. Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more.

To narrow down your selection search for tracking down NVidia telemetry more efficiently you can type "NVidia" into the "Filter" field at the top of the utility:

Spoiler

Autoruns_Everything.thumb.JPG.2520aa013b17bf25870dd8e8481001ec.JPGAutoruns_NVidia.thumb.JPG.1f6b69d60cd73f3f7d9da43736d42c20.JPGAutoruns_Scheduled_Tasks.thumb.JPG.a778c65ef1bcf7bd75d436bc31f76f06.JPG

No NVidia telemetry components loaded and activated.

Official download link and author's description page: Autoruns for Windows v13.82

------------

Useful Links & Tools:

Spoiler

AskWoody

Born's Tech and Windows World

Black Viper Service Configurations

[Guide] Which Windows 7 Services are Safe to Disable?

Blocking Telemetry in Windows 7 and 8.1

Windows 7/8.1: Update KB2952664 / KB2976978 re-released

7 simple tricks to speed up Windows 10

[Guide] Which Windows 10 Services are Safe to Disable?

Windows 10: Start, Stop, and Disable Services in Windows 10

Process Monitor v3.50 - an advanced monitoring tool for Windows made by Mark Russinovich that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.

Important note: you can find on the net specific tools that can disable Win 10 telemetry features such as W10Privacy, Win10 Spy Disabler, or DisableWinTracking, but be careful as they could affect the proper functioning of Win 10 Update and performance in general. Their use is not without risks because the telemetry functions are at the heart of the operating system kernel, which is not the case of previous versions such as Win 7 and Win 8.1.

Archived