Very new to game design and need advise

sheikkun

I'm looking to start the process of building assets for a game I'm hoping to build int he future using the Unity engine. The game idea is 2.5D with an anime style character design with a sci fi backdrop.

I was looking for some advise as to what programs would be best for building characters and backgrounds.

So, this question is asked a lot, across the Internet, by various artists and beginners. The reason why this topic is not filled with replies yet is that the answer is 'it depends'... There are many tools that can do basically the same thing, e.g. Gimp v.s. Photoshop, Blender v.s 3dsMax.. And people use and choose them depending on personal preference..

When you talk about 'assets' this can mean anything from textures to modeling, to lighting, most game companies have experts for each of these, e.g. 1 person (or team) is responsible for modeling, the other for texturing, yet another for audio, another for music.. and yet another for lighting the maps... Making any game on your own requires multi-tier expertise, you'll need to be able to do a little bit of everything, that is not a process of weeks or months, more a process of years..

I don't know at what 'level' you are, but assuming you are an absolute beginner the biggest piece of advice I can give is this: TAKE... YOUR... TIME.. TO.. LEARN..

I started modding when I was 16 and release my first real mod when I was 21.. so it took me 5 years to get something that could be release (remember this is the time of Quake 1 and Quake 2 so modding was MUCH harder back then)... in those years I steadily learned textures, models, scripting, audio, etc..etc..etc..

So if you ask 'which tools'.. it depends.. but the best option you have is to go for the 'free' tools available:

- Gimp, Learn it, live it.

- Blender, Learn it, live it.

- Scripting (Python).. Do simple tutorials online, get a compiler, learn about programming

Non game resources:

- Go online for tutorials on Architecture and furniture design, these are unrelated but will help you a lot when creating maps and static meshes.

The best ways to start learning about these techniques is to make SIMPLE mods.

For instance, start with making a weapon texture mod. Then try to make a new weapon model, then try to put that in game.

My last piece of advice > Learn what you like and are good at, then become an expert in that, instead of generalizing your knowledge across all areas.

Archived