Anyone else playing SkyrimVR on Vive Pro or Odyssey

calranthe

As of now these two are the highest resolution HMD out, not counting ones not officially out yet.

My own setup is a Vive Pro paired with a i6700k 32gb ddr4 1080ti and all storage as m2 samsung 950's super fast.

From my current experience in games like SkyrimVR the extra resolution is well worth the cash, now my skyrim game in HMD looks as good as my 1080p version if not a little better.

Mods that affect visuals and especially long distance stuff like mountains look amazing, shooting either in F4vr or Using a bow at long distance is so much better when your target is not just 4 pixels across.

I wonder what the performance difference is. I have a 1070 with the old VIVE.

I'd love to upgrade to the PRO just a bit worried about the extra performance demands.

Do you run with any Super Sampling or is it fine at stock resolution?

I have a 6gb 1060 with a i7 2600 for my vive pro. I also use a samsung SSD. Far from an ideal setup.

Some games I do notice that my card is working harder than it did with the original vive, but everything still works fine.

With Skyrim however, there doesn't appear to be a difference at all, even with a crap ton of mods installed.

I haven't tried doing anything with ENB, because realistically I'm going to hit a wall there.

I don't supersample, it's just at 100%, but the default upgrade to resolution is so noticable, I can't even imagine using a regular vive anymore.

I can read everything, the world is beautiful close and far away, and I can see enemies in the distance that I doubt would be anything but a jumble of squares on the old vive.

On 20/05/2018 at 5:46 PM, JimmyJimJim said:

I wonder what the performance difference is. I have a 1070 with the old VIVE.

I'd love to upgrade to the PRO just a bit worried about the extra performance demands.

Do you run with any Super Sampling or is it fine at stock resolution?

I have yet to tweak the SS so its running stock, SSE seems to be amazing for performance even on mid cards and because SkyrimVR is based on that we see a lot less problems than the old clunker lol.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised at how well Skyrim ran in VR. Even with a whole load of texture mods it still runs smooth with a generous helping of SS.

That probably means I could run the VIVE Pro without any issues as the SS level I'm using would be at least as high (if not higher) than the base resolution of the VIVE Pro and you'd gain that lovely clarity from the high resolution screens.

I'm really on the fence about buying one seeing as it is expensive and the fact the HTC left no upgrade route for the original VIVE owners.

I wasn't aware they stopped offering the headset by itself, if that's what you mean.

If you do get a vive pro, it should run flawlessly for your 1070.

I've read people with a 1080ti can run at 140%.

Honestly, unless you have the cash laying around, you could stay on the fence for a month to see if the Pimax 8k is going to launch soon.

Then we have to make sure that it doesn't have ghosting issues like the 4k did.

If everything is on the up and up, the the pimax 8k may be a better and cheaper option. (provided you have a top of the line pc)

It'll use your current wands and lighthouses too.

Even though I own a Vive Pro, I'm still considering getting a pimax 8k.

The downside is I would need a new pc, since that FOV and resolution is going to need the best specs around.

Then again, it might be a terrible headset.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've pulled the trigger on the VIVE Pro :)

What I meant by no upgrade route is the fact that the new headset doesn't come with the wands or tracking stations so I'll need to keep them. This means I only have the old VIVE headset to sell. Whoever buys that needs to buy 2 x wands at £119.99 each and 2 x tracking stations at £119.99 each with a total price of £479.96. Seeing as you can a whole new bundle for £499.99 it means my headset is now worth no more than about £20 and, in reality, who is going to buy a 2nd hand headset when they can get a new one for only £20 more with a full warranty etc?

This means there is no way of selling anything to finance part of the upgrade.

If HTC had left the price at £599.99 then at least the headset might get £50 on ebay.

It's not unheard of, for someone to have broken their original vive headset, from water damage or a hard drop.

It could take a while, but you'll probably find a buyer eventually.

I'd sell it for around $80-100 or $150 if it has the audio strap, personally.

I could be wrong but I believe they lowered the price of the lighthouses and wands.

I can't be bothered to sell mine though, so I've just been hanging onto it in case I need parts or if I need a backup.

Well, just got the PRO and it seems to run really well on Serious Sam VR Last Hope. The bump up in resolution is really noticeable especially with very distant objects now being visible and text looks much much clearer.

The comfort of the head strap is so much better, far better than even the deluxe audio strap. Feels like they may have shaved off a few grams of weight and the integrated headphones seem much better too.

I find the Pro inferior to the OG Vive + DAS in all aspects except resolution. 

1. Sound. Some of the fixes I have found suggested online help a bit, but it still sounds bad. Especially playing rhythm games, it took me a week to get used to the bad sound quality. And yes - my head shape is "appropriate" enough and the headphones are positioned correctly. 

2. Comfort. The new nose rest is a nightmare. It will try to poke your eyes out or it will tingle the base of your nose, depending on how you put the headset on. I don't think that I have completely gotten used to it after a month of using it. 

The general comfort of the Pro - It is a bit confusing to find out how they intended it to be used. The best I have found so far is to put it on the same way as the DAS but to keep it really loose. This way it is comfortable enough for long sessions, but it wiggles a bit when you move your head more and makes cheap-plastic-y noises.

3.  Look and feel. While not as blue as it seems on the pictures, it is blue enough to differentiate itself from any "serious" tech and to look like a toy. Looking at it, holding it, using it - it has the feeling of a low quality product. 

4. Other annoyances. Hardware power on button, WTF? Some grandpa at HTC managed to sneak this in it seems. In the times of wake-on-LAN and smart home systems the Vive makes a drastic step back. I'm quite annoyed by this since it broke my setup where I would tell Google Home to turn the Vive on or off using smart power plugs. Now I need to power on the breakout box every time I use the Vive, I forget almost always to do it, Steam VR shows error messages and I'm cursing whoever at HTC came up with this nonsense. 

5. Price. It's like your drug dealer knows you are hooked enough so he can ask a ridiculous price for what he sells you. Because what else are you going to do? To be honest after 2 years I'm really tired of paying the "early adopter tax" on VR hardware and software. And despite HTC constantly repeating how they support developers the Pro price gauging does have an effect - I have frozen my 100 euro monthly allowance for games for several months in order to compensate for the Pro. And I'm not going to buy any game in the next few months. With the Pro price HTC managed to jump to the top 5 in my personal list of evil companies.

All that said the difference in the experience that the jump in the resolution provides was a good enough reason to decide to keep the Pro. So now I enjoy using it while hating it. And hating myself for been a no-willpower VR junkie.

Archived