How To Edit ESP Master(s)?

monkeycid

Hey guys!

I downloaded and installed Nevada Skies, Ambient Temperature and a compatibility patch but New Vegas crashes upon loading or starting a new game. I pinpointed the problem to be an incorrect Master name within the Ambient Temperature - URWLified Nevada Skies.esp. The Master is currently Nevada Skies - URWLified.esp but it should be NSkies URWLified.esm.

Anyway, I've downloaded GECK but I have no idea how to use it. If anyone could post a quick walkthrough to help me then that would be great. I would attach the file to this post but I'm not sure if that would break any rules or not since it's not mine to share.

Thanks!

FNVEdit is the best tool for the job I think' date=' it may be able to be done with GECK, but it would be clunky.

[/quote']

I tried FNVEdit but it came up with an error saying something like editing has been disabled and the background check failed to find the Master in question due to it being named incorrectly.

How do I rename a Master using FNVEdit?

FNVEdit is the best tool for the job I think' date=' it may be able to be done with GECK, but it would be clunky.

[/quote']

I tried FNVEdit but it came up with an error saying something like editing has been disabled and the background check failed to find the Master in question due to it being named incorrectly.

How do I rename a Master using FNVEdit?

In such a case, I'd use FNVPlugin. It doesn't validate master names or load order or required files, it simply lets you edit the records. Once you have everything sorted, go back to FNVEdit/GECK. FNVPlugin is a specialized tool but I'd prefer FNVEdit over it for nearly all tasks except those that require the mods already be a "valid" load order. The main advantage to FNVPlugin is it allows editing files even when their linkages to masters are broken.

When I double click the Master I want to rename and change it, then click Save and restart FNVPlugin, the Master seems to revert back to the original. Any ideas? I have no idea what I am doing and Google doesn't find anything related to changing Master files of plugins. :(

Archived