Error: F4SE not installed (But it is!)

So as the title says, I keep getting "Error: F4SE not installed" errors in game in a popup. I know something is wrong, but for all intents and purposes, I have installed F4SE. I launch with it. I have gone back through the steps 5 times now.

Yet in game, certain functions aren't working. LooksMenu preset is "grayed" out. The Morphs are the same. What the heck is going on? I am really lost and could use another pair of eyes. Or another non fried mind. Thanks!

Assuming latest is 1_10_64 - disable auto update in Steam - that way it never breaks.  Launching via F4SE doesn't trigger the update as you must launch via Steam to do that.  Means you can wait on the update until the F4SE team update too.

How did you install F4SE?  Which mod manager are you using?  Does the pop up say that the scripts have not been installed?

10 hours ago, Stiffon said:

Assuming latest is 1_10_64 - disable auto update in Steam - that way it never breaks.  Launching via F4SE doesn't trigger the update as you must launch via Steam to do that.  Means you can wait on the update until the F4SE team update too.

How did you install F4SE?  Which mod manager are you using?  Does the pop up say that the scripts have not been installed?

The thing with Steam though is that it does not honor your opinion when it comes to not updating games. That setting in the UI for instance resets to automatically updating games whenever you restart Steam; and even if you always disable it, it will always force an update when you launch the game through Steam. There's a way around both of these problems but involves manually editing Steam files.

21 hours ago, Siren's Wrath said:

So as the title says, I keep getting "Error: F4SE not installed" errors in game in a popup. I know something is wrong, but for all intents and purposes, I have installed F4SE. I launch with it. I have gone back through the steps 5 times now.

Yet in game, certain functions aren't working. LooksMenu preset is "grayed" out. The Morphs are the same. What the heck is going on? I am really lost and could use another pair of eyes. Or another non fried mind. Thanks!

As for the OP's problem:

1. Look for F4SE logs here: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\F4SE
    1. Do the logs contain anything useful?
  2. Do you have the correct version of F4SE?
    1. Locate your Fallout 4 install directory and get the file version of Fallout4.exe, latest version should be 1.10.64.0.
    2. Make sure the F4SE version you're using is made for your Fallout4.exe version specifically (not newer or older).

This is why I'm still on 1.8...Sure, I can't use SOME things, but all of my mods work properly.

Where is your game installed? Mine's D:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 4\ - I organize all my games by publisher. 

Archived