[GIMP] anti-aliasing?

NisaK

I've been spending hours today trying to figure out why my textures have weird borders on them in game, finally, I realized that blend/pencil/paintbrush tool in GIMP doesn't have an option just to paint entire pixels, no matter what I do (even with using sections) GIMP blends in surrounding colors into whatever I'm editing. 

Why?

I can't find any way to disable this, I can't find an anti-aliasing option or any sort of blend option.  I've found a few people on forums saying they found a way to disable anti-aliasing but no one is spilling how to do it. 

Any ideas, I'm very frustrated by this. Fill entire selection shouldn't mean 'fill entire selection, but kinda and not really fucker!"

You have to set a full opaque brush (in GIMP 2.8 standard there is only one)

image.png

Also, zoom a lot (at least 3X) in the texture, so your hits will be sharper on the borders.

21 minutes ago, CPU said:

You have to set a full opaque brush (in GIMP 2.8 standard there is only one)

Also, zoom a lot (at least 3X) in the texture, so your hits will be sharper on the borders.

still doesn't work sadly... I need to create a bunch of perfect circles so I've been using the ellipse select tool and it still won't color in the pixels a solid color even when using the pixel tool you mentioned and zooming in as much as I can on a 100x100ish image... 

This is so fucking frustrating... It has to be solid because this is for making an emission map and the game seems very sensitive to slight changes, creating ugly staticy borders when they are detected. 

15 minutes ago, Obsessed3D said:

I hate gimp, i dont know why it has to be so un-intuitive. Only thing gimp is good for is dds importing/exporting. I recommend Affinity Photo, been using it for over a year now, id say its better then photoshop for simpler workflows but photoshop is more robust - for now.

I hate gimp too, I used to use another program for making textures which I loved... until it was bought out by a chinese company and became bloated with malware... I really wish I could afford photoshop.  Thanks for the affinity recommendation, I'll check it out. 

5 minutes ago, nisa9022 said:

still doesn't work sadly... I need to create a bunch of perfect circles so I've been using the ellipse select tool and it still won't color in the pixels a solid color even when using the pixel tool you mentioned and zooming in as much as I can on a 100x100ish image... 

This is so fucking frustrating... It has to be solid because this is for making an emission map and the game seems very sensitive to slight changes, creating ugly staticy borders when they are detected. 

I hate gimp too, I used to use another program for making textures which I loved... until it was bought out by a chinese company and became bloated with malware... I really wish I could afford photoshop.  Thanks for the affinity recommendation, I'll check it out. 

If you need to do an area filled with a static color, then you can use this trick:

do the first area as you did before, ignoring the pixel blending. And be sure all the area is approximately the same color.

Use the color select tool, click inside the area, and while clicking move to the left and right to find the perfect threshold to pick the pixels.

Then select your color, use the pen tool, put the size to 200 pixels (or more), and click three or four times.

The selected are will have exactly the color you need.

(If you are using (I don't think so) GEGL areas, so 16 bits per pixel) you need to paste the pen at least 11 times.)

Archived