MO 2 annoyances

Up until recently MO2 has been working great for me for Skyrim SE.  I have 115 GB of mods installed and they all work.  The problem I'm having lately is that MO2 frequently pretends I have zero mods installed now.  I can start a new game and it finds all my mods and everything works fine.  Then the next time I try to play it might take me 15-20 tries or more of loading the game, exiting, reloading before it finally loads my mods.  It's always done that to me the first time I load the game after a reboot but around the time SKSE64 came out, it started doing it more and more often.

I suspect maybe MO2 doesn't like it when you have a bunch of DLLs for SKSE plugins, ENB, etc.  Any mod I have that uses a DLL, I install through MO2 without the DLL and then copy the DLL into my real data directory (or the base game directory in the case of ENB).  My current game uses 9 SKSE DLL plugins.  I don't use an ENB anymore.

Anyone else having issues like this or find a way around it?  All I can think of is to get rid of most of my SKSE DLLs and only use the ones I really can't do without.  Currently using Achievement enabler, More Hud, CBP, ECE, FISS, HTFQ, Keyboard Shortcuts Fix, PapyrusUtil, and Skyrim Uncapper.  I guess I could probably use NMM but that's not going to happen.  The only other thing I can think of would be to wait for Vortex, but who knows when that will be out?

Edit:  As a test I just removed FISS and ECE and now my mods load pretty consistently.  Both of those work with the rest of my mods as well so I'm not sure if it's just the number of DLLs or something in specific DLLs that MO doesn't seem to like.

Which version of mo2 are you using?  If it is the one from the github page or nexus you might want to try the dev build on the discord server as that does sort out a lot of the problems.  It may or may not sort out your problem, but  it could also be an update from microsoft has stuffed things up as they recently did some updates, or at least my pc did, though I am using windows 10, and in the past week or two, it has restarted twice for me due to windows updates.

how did you install mo2? you need to store the mods outside of %appdata% and create a syslink there with "mklink /j" to the destination of you storage. dont change the paths inside mod organizer. only if you want to run fnis or bs then you need to change the path of MODS to where it actually is.

ALWAYS restart mo if something gets copied to overwrite folder. that will make mo crash.

9 hours ago, prZ said:

how did you install mo2? you need to store the mods outside of %appdata% and create a syslink there with "mklink /j" to the destination of you storage. dont change the paths inside mod organizer. only if you want to run fnis or bs then you need to change the path of MODS to where it actually is.

ALWAYS restart mo if something gets copied to overwrite folder. that will make mo crash.

Odd, this is something I have never done, what I did was install the original alpha 1 as mobile and when updating simply install over them, never had any problems with bodyslide, a couple of version made wryebash not work but other than that everything works pretty much the same as mo for skyrim for the most part.

7 hours ago, Varithina said:

Odd, this is something I have never done, what I did was install the original alpha 1 as mobile and when updating simply install over them, never had any problems with bodyslide, a couple of version made wryebash not work but other than that everything works pretty much the same as mo for skyrim for the most part.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22732/

I always Used it that way and never got any problems. You don't need to use portable version, you can use multiple games to manage with that way.

Only thing is that you need to change the mod path if you want to run fnis but this isn't really a problem at all.

I'm using v2.0.8.  Haven't tried upgrading in awhile.  For me MO won't actually use any DLLs that I install through MO, I have to put those in the real data directory.  Everything else I can install through MO as usual.  I also had to use a workaround to get Wrye Bash to work properly.  It was dumping it's output in the real data directory instead of overwrite until I made a dummy output file for it and installed that as a mod and then told MO to direct the output for Wrye Bash to that mod instead of overwrite.  Never had any issues with FNIS or Bodyslide.

4 hours ago, khumak said:

I'm using v2.0.8.  Haven't tried upgrading in awhile.  For me MO won't actually use any DLLs that I install through MO, I have to put those in the real data directory.  Everything else I can install through MO as usual.  I also had to use a workaround to get Wrye Bash to work properly.  It was dumping it's output in the real data directory instead of overwrite until I made a dummy output file for it and installed that as a mod and then told MO to direct the output for Wrye Bash to that mod instead of overwrite.  Never had any issues with FNIS or Bodyslide.

Ahh, the nexus page for the sse mo2 is now showing version 2.1, oddly enough though there is no mo2 page on the fallout 4 nexus.

I think from what I remember reading mo2 2.1 sorts those problems out as well as the crashes when you edit files in either ck.f/4edit or exit the game, without restarting mo2.

Just tried the latest version of MO2 and it does seem to be a significant improvement over 2.08.  The most obvious improvement to me was that it seems to now recognize things that are installed in the real data directory rather than via MO (like the base game plus DLCs as well as any CC stuff, like Survival Mode in my case which I grabbed when it was free).  I suspect that may also mean better support for DLLs.  The base game + DLC + CC stuff now all show up in MO as "Non-MO" mods.

It also has a little popup window that it displays when you run the game now that shows it loading mods before it actually launches the game.  I suspect 2.08 may not have given itself enough time to load mods before launching the game.  I have a main menu replacer installed so it's obvious when I launch the game and my mods are not loaded and with 2.08, launching the game would usually show the vanilla load screen for several seconds and then suddenly switch to the main menu replacer when it worked.  With 2.1.1 it doesn't do that anymore, I get the little MO popup first, then it goes right to my menu replacer screen.

Archived