How to be pervert and write real good?

NisaK

This is a serious post.  I've made a mod that's ready for it's initial release, everything is working mechanically how I wanted it to work for the initial release but I'm stuck with massive, massive writer's block.  I have 18+ buff/traits that need flavor text and better names (after thinking about it, using a trademarked name in a trait for an erotic mod probably is the shortcut to getting in massive legal trouble) and I just can't think of anything to write that doesn't sound like it was written by a 6th grader. 

Being a long time loverslab mod user has only helped me come up with a ton of perverted ideas, having experience in programming has helped me come up with ways of implementing said ideas, but hasn't helped me learn how to write in a perverted manner at all.  It's a big problem.  I've been working on this mod mostly everyday for a month now with daily progress.  But now I've been stuck for days on the writing aspect with very little progress.  

Any advice?  I've tried doing 'research.'  Like looking up perverted stuff online and into perverted communities but most of the stuff I've found is pretty freakin' vanilla, like 'A cute pet name for your SO is 'baby doll' vanilla.  This may sound nonsensical, but outside of the modding scene, I don't really engage in consuming erotic material.  I did find something called Trials in Tainted Space... but oh boy... that writing is on a whole other level located in another universe... it just made me even more unsure about my writing abilities.  For the first time since I started working on this mod, I'm beginning to feel like just abandoning it but I really don't want all this work to go down the drain.  Wat do? 

Really?

You've never picked up an adult mag and read the "articles"?

Try Penthouse Letters, mostly short steamy stories about people hooking up in different avenues.

The writing is awefully formulaic but I guess you'd have to read enough of them to get the gist that there is always a consistent pattern to how things play out regardless of the words used...Then of course the word play itself is like a game as well.

As far as actual writing goes you probably should just default to the basics to get started.

Fighting writers block simply write down the basic name of your trait....in the middle of a sheet of paper.

From there you figure out every word that you can that is related to the central word you came up with to describe the trait.

If your wanting to write flavor text...Why not just start writing like a 6th grader, heck some probably should write like a 6th grader it might be better than the stuff Ive read that describes sex.  For the most part your better off just filling the blanks in with something anything even if its just some stupid thing you think a 6th grader would write, theres nothing worse than an empty field, fill in those text fields and come back as you build up steam and fix em later.

6 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Really?

Lol, yeah, it's kinda embarrassing I guess.  I grew up going to an ultra religious school.  The kind that teaches we were alive with dinosaurs and had them as pets a few thousand years ago religious.  I've never even seen an adult mag before... unless you count the modded mags in my fallout 4 mods, lol. 

15 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

As far as actual writing goes you probably should just default to the basics to get started.

Fighting writers block simply write down the basic name of your trait....in the middle of a sheet of paper.

From there you figure out every word that you can that is related to the central word you came up with to describe the trait.

If your wanting to write flavor text...Why not just start writing like a 6th grader, heck some probably should write like a 6th grader it might be better than the stuff Ive read that describes sex.  For the most part your better off just filling the blanks in with something anything even if its just some stupid thing you think a 6th grader would write, theres nothing worse than an empty field, fill in those text fields and come back as you build up steam and fix em later.

Wow, the Idea map sounds really useful!  And, thanks for the confidence boost about a 6th grade writing level not being the worst thing in the world... I mean I guess it is just flavor text for buffs and traits after all.  Not like I'm trying to write a novel!  

1 hour ago, Sarge Misfit said:

Use a dictionary and a thesaurus.

Seriously.

:smile:

Haha!  That's one of the first things I tried, especially for trait/aspiration track names, not nearly perverted enough.  I guess it's because most of the perverted speak currently in use is maybe considered a part of pop culture?  I also tried all sorts of urban dictionaries but... lol... that was a trainwreck ruined by trolls.  Most of the synonyms were just celebrity names.  However, there were a few interesting hits, that's how I found 'Barbie' as an idea for a reward trait!  But... I really would rather avoid dumb expensive lawsuits where some bored overpaid lawyers sue me for 'tainting' their toy brand.  Did some digging, idk why I thought barbie would have entered the public domain by now.  I blame Disney (they have done a ton of harm to copyright law, imo).   

I don't know what you're planning to write for those buffs and flavore text but if you're going to make them somewhat close to the buff descriptions from the game it would help to read alot of the ingame buff and trait descriptions and maybe item descriptions aswell.

something different you could try is make a google doc with the buffs and flavore text so far and maybe let some talented people here help you

Thanks people, I think I have it worked out now.  Only a few more buffs and another trait to create flavor text for and I should be done writing.  The word map idea really turned out, and going back to the thesaurus wasn't bad either!  Now all I need to do is tidy up some textures, write a mod description (FUUCCCCKKKK guess I'm not done writing, lol), get screenshots (reshade be nice plz), create some compatability patches, and do some final gameplay debugging (I tested everything quickly as I was making things, but now I need to test everything in a normal playthrough, god I hope buffs get saved when instances are changed and aren't re-applied with every load) and it should be good for release!  

Sounds like a lot, but I'm so close to a an initial release now!  I think the wicked simmers here are really going to like what I created :smile:   

Archived