Vampirism not being recognized on character

Deep Red

So I bought Dawnguard recently... in the past, I didn't really bother with vampirism or lycantropy until recently discovering the Better Vampires mod, so I hadn't known about this issue before.

Anyway, I chose to accept Harkon's gift and was turned into a vampire. While I'm able to transform into a vampire lord and do all the other neat vampiric abilities, Skyrim isn't recognizing my character as a vampire. When I talk to the that other guy Harkon tells you to talk to afterward, he keeps telling to go see Harkon and ask him to resolve my "problem" even though I have all the benefits and qualities of a vampire. I really have no idea what's going on. I disabled every mod (including Better Vampires) and still wasn't being recognized as one of them.

Now, I was reading the comments on this mod and many of them report similar problems even after uninstalling it. I currently don't have that mod installed, but I think I may have tried it in the past and removed any associated files from my installation.

Is there a way to fix this problem without having to reinstall Skyrim from scratch? Has anyone ever experienced this same issue?

P.S. it's worth knowing that I'm using the Lunari custom race, and yes, I've updated it to be compatible with Dawnguard and vampirism. This problem also shows up on vanilla races as well.

if you were using the fixed feeding option this screwed up alot of peoples vampires

best thing to do now is install a vampire lord mod that allows you to talk to people while in vampire lord mode, apprenty better vampire allow you to do this

So I bought Dawnguard recently... in the past' date=' I didn't really bother with vampirism or lycantropy until recently discovering the Better Vampires mod, so I hadn't known about this issue before.

Anyway, I chose to accept Harkon's gift and was turned into a vampire. While I'm able to transform into a vampire lord and do all the other neat vampiric abilities, Skyrim isn't recognizing my character as a vampire. When I talk to the that other guy Harkon tells you to talk to afterward, he keeps telling to go see Harkon and ask him to resolve my "problem" even though I have all the benefits and qualities of a vampire. I really have no idea what's going on. I disabled every mod (including Better Vampires) and still wasn't being recognized as one of them.

Now, I was reading the comments on this mod and many of them report similar problems even after uninstalling it. I currently don't have that mod installed, but I think I may have tried it in the past and removed any associated files from my installation.

Is there a way to fix this problem without having to reinstall Skyrim from scratch? Has anyone ever experienced this same issue?

P.S. it's worth knowing that I'm using the Lunari custom race, and yes, I've updated it to be compatible with Dawnguard and vampirism. This problem also shows up on vanilla races as well.

Fixed feeding option? On better vampires? I find vampire lord form kind of cumbersome imo, but if it's the only way... I really don't want to reinstall the whole thing. The game's been installed since it was released, and I've nearly hit the limit on the number of mods it can run lol

Pretty sure reinstalling it would cause mods to break left and right.

I was messing around with all my mods and even moved the entire scripts folder to solve the issue, but with no avail.

Before I go ahead and do a clean installation again, does uninstalling Skyrim through Steam delete the whole folder? Or just the files it downloaded from their servers?

I'd suggest trying a few things first. Since custom races can always be a bit buggy when it comes to changing your character, try this first.

Use the setrace command. For instance, player.setrace nordrace (if you're a nord, just an example).

Since you're using a custom race, you'll have to find the race ID name via creation kit or ask the author.

Once you've done that, go contract Vampirism via spawning a vampire somewhere (try to find a safe spot away from people so guards and npcs don't kill it before it can curse you). Then just let it keep attacking you till you contract the disease. Then wait 3 days ingame for the disease to manifest as Vampirism. Then try the Harkon thing again.

Or alternatively, use the console to make yourself a vampire. player.setrace nordracevampire (sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the situation).

If the quest isn't advancing, advance it yourself with the console. Since you said you already have the Vampire Lord ability but can't progress past that, go here:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

Easiest site to use when it comes to needing to using the console. Look up the quest you are on currently (for instance Bloodstone Chalice would be DLC1VampireBaseIntro)

Scroll down to the bottom and it gives you a list of the quest stages. Use the console to advance past whatever is giving you trouble and then continue on. For example say you are getting ready to do the Bloodstone Chalice.

Since you are stuck on talking to Garan, and you can't tell him "It is time" thus proceeding with the quest line, advance the quest to:

setstage DLC1VampireBaseIntro 15

This will skip the dialogue and put you at Follow Garan who will then start explaining what you need to do. Then you can continue on with the quest.

Hopefully all this helps. Try the last suggestion first as it is the easiest to advance the quest, but if it still gives you issues later down the road, make sure you have vampirism with the other suggestions.

Good luck and hope all that helped!

Or alternatively' date=' use the console to make yourself a vampire. player.setrace nordracevampire (sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the situation).

[/quote']

This is what finally solved the problem. Thanks a bunch! It screwed up my skills slightly, but adjusted them again with console commands. With any luck, that will be the worst of it. I'm still going to keep looking for the culprit though. If I can save someone else the pain from this that'd be great too.

Update: It worked for a while, but as soon as I left the castle my character's face was reset. After spending some time generating another satisfactory face, it reset again promptly after fast traveling somewhere. No idea why it's happening, but I guess that's why it doesn't work sometimes then... to hell with it. Going to reinstall the whole game tonight.

Sorry to hear that things just weren't working out. :(

Make sure after you do a fresh reinstall, to go redownload all your mods to get the updated versions. Might be a simple outdated mod causing issues.

Or even just look over your mods and see what you don't use/barely use and toss em out. Did that a few days ago myself.

Well, reinstalling partially fixed the problem. Vanilla races can now be successfully turned into vampires without the help of the console. But custom races are still slightly broke in that sense. When reverting back to human form, it also stops recognizing me as a vampire again. I'm going to guess that's a problem with the Lunari race though and not my game. Can be fixed with the console too, but it gets annoying when you're trying to enjoy the game as a vampire lord.

• 4 months later...

Maybe you're still around here - I came across the following fix:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11307

I cannot describe anymore, how this mod made it possible being a Vampire Lord with custom races, as I messed around for days until it was possible. After downloading simply try the following option.

1. possibility: use your current "vampire" safe and see whether others recognize you as vampires or not. transform to vampire lord,transform back and check again.

2. possibility: use current save and the console command player.setrace [REQUESTEDRACE]racevampire

3. possibility: load a save before Harkon bites you and do the quest again

notes: I use Half Orc Race + Behrians Better Vampires 5.7

Archived