Nexus Mod Manager with multiple HDDs

aifman7

Okay folks, so I know there's always a debate between using MO and NMM, at least for Skyrim, and thus far I've had better luck with NMM than MO, but I guess I've been lucky. Just got hit with having to do a full reinstall of Fallout 4 because somehow NMM broke itself.

I really don't understand the "how" behind this, because after getting F4 installed I immediately went to modding it (after verifying the game was in working order, of course). I didn't really install much in the way of mods, just wanted to get frameworks in place and a few body/armor/face mods up and running, as well as UI and inventory management improvements. Most everything else was vanilla..in fact I think I only had a grand total of about 29 mods installed.

Anyway, I'd been playing for the last few days and made a bit of progress. I usually keep NMM open even after I finish playing for the night and it's never caused me any issues in the past with Skyrim. Long story short, I closed NMM after playing tonight to reboot my computer, and upon starting back up when I opened NMM it suddenly didn't recognize that Fallout 4 had any mods installed. I misunderstood the dialog window that prompts you to redirect NMM to the correct mods folder and clicked "No" and it immediately began uninstalling everything much to my dismay. I should note, that Fallout 4 is installed on a different directory than Skyrim and NMM. I think this is the core problem.

After it finished uninstalling all of the mods, I noticed that everything I'd previously installed was still showing up in the plugins tab despite the fact that the mods tab was totally empty. I launched the game to check, and sure enough, some of the mods were still active but the game was a mess. After a bit of googling I realized I had little choice but to nuke it from orbit and do a full reinstall.

So now I wait for Steam to finish downloading the 40gb that is Fallout 4 (because manually reverting to a vanilla state seemed like it was going to be more trouble than it was worth, I tried a few batch files that promised to do it easily for me but they simply did not work). I'm not pleased at having to restart, but I was only level 9 and had really barely scratched the surface. I wish there were a way to skip ahead to my save file but I'm pretty sure that's gone now. Oh well.

------

tl;dr version: NMM is installed on a different directory than Fallout 4. I misunderstood a dialog window and broke my game requiring a full reinstall.

How can I ensure this never happens again? I am pretty certain I set everything up correctly in the first place, otherwise how would NMM have been able to install the mods successfully?

Can I install a second copy of NMM to use *only* with Fallout 4? The ABSOLUTE LAST thing I want to do is risk breaking my Skyrim installation, it took me a long time to get that to where I want it and I'd be pretty upset if that broke, too. But I just want to be able to play and mod both of these games without future issues.

Skyrim and NMM are on I: and Fallout 4 is on J: --- can I install a second copy of NMM on J: without interfering with the one on I:?

Help.

Okay folks, so I know there's always a debate between using MO and NMM, at least for Skyrim, and thus far I've had better luck with NMM than MO, but I guess I've been lucky. Just got hit with having to do a full reinstall of Fallout 4 because somehow NMM broke itself.

I really don't understand the "how" behind this, because after getting F4 installed I immediately went to modding it (after verifying the game was in working order, of course). I didn't really install much in the way of mods, just wanted to get frameworks in place and a few body/armor/face mods up and running, as well as UI and inventory management improvements. Most everything else was vanilla..in fact I think I only had a grand total of about 29 mods installed.

Anyway, I'd been playing for the last few days and made a bit of progress. I usually keep NMM open even after I finish playing for the night and it's never caused me any issues in the past with Skyrim. Long story short, I closed NMM after playing tonight to reboot my computer, and upon starting back up when I opened NMM it suddenly didn't recognize that Fallout 4 had any mods installed. I misunderstood the dialog window that prompts you to redirect NMM to the correct mods folder and clicked "No" and it immediately began uninstalling everything much to my dismay. I should note, that Fallout 4 is installed on a different directory than Skyrim and NMM. I think this is the core problem.

After it finished uninstalling all of the mods, I noticed that everything I'd previously installed was still showing up in the plugins tab despite the fact that the mods tab was totally empty. I launched the game to check, and sure enough, some of the mods were still active but the game was a mess. After a bit of googling I realized I had little choice but to nuke it from orbit and do a full reinstall.

So now I wait for Steam to finish downloading the 40gb that is Fallout 4 (because manually reverting to a vanilla state seemed like it was going to be more trouble than it was worth, I tried a few batch files that promised to do it easily for me but they simply did not work). I'm not pleased at having to restart, but I was only level 9 and had really barely scratched the surface. I wish there were a way to skip ahead to my save file but I'm pretty sure that's gone now. Oh well.

------

tl;dr version: NMM is installed on a different directory than Fallout 4. I misunderstood a dialog window and broke my game requiring a full reinstall.

How can I ensure this never happens again? I am pretty certain I set everything up correctly in the first place, otherwise how would NMM have been able to install the mods successfully?

Can I install a second copy of NMM to use *only* with Fallout 4? The ABSOLUTE LAST thing I want to do is risk breaking my Skyrim installation, it took me a long time to get that to where I want it and I'd be pretty upset if that broke, too. But I just want to be able to play and mod both of these games without future issues.

Skyrim and NMM are on I: and Fallout 4 is on J: --- can I install a second copy of NMM on J: without interfering with the one on I:?

Help.

Xd

------

Help.

Xd

oh the memes xd

to the topic, I really cant understand what your problem is? Nexus mod manager on the other disc than fallout 4 or downloading fallout 4 again???

------

Help.

Xd

oh the memes xd

to the topic, I really cant understand what your problem is? Nexus mod manager on the other disc than fallout 4 or downloading fallout 4 again???

Problem is that your problem is that you're using nmm. Can't really help you there, I use mo. For you it's a good situation to get rid of nmm completely

------

Help.

Xd

NMM can't broke by itself. You probably did something wrong during the installation. Several users of NMM (Skyrim and FO4) wrote in my thrad (see my signature) how to install FO4 and use both games via NMM. Also there are several users who posted videos on You tube how to install FO4 via NMM. I would personally help you with it if I play FO4, but I don't.

So far I noticed that ritualclarity is most experienced in this area. Maybe you can PM to him and ask him for help if you don't find useful info in my thread although most of your questions are already answered there.

Help.

I have two instances of NMM, the old version 0.55.8 (before the virtual install crap was added) which i use for skyrim and then the current version (0.63.14 i think) which i use for fallout

All i did was choose a different install location when i installed it for fallout 4

Capture.jpg

Other than getting the "new version of NMM is available" when i open 0.55.8 which i use for skyrim works perfectly fine

NMM can't broke by itself. You probably did something wrong during the installation. Several users of NMM (Skyrim and FO4) wrote in my thrad (see my signature) how to install FO4 and use both games via NMM. Also there are several users who posted videos on You tube how to install FO4 via NMM. I would personally help you with it if I play FO4, but I don't.

So far I noticed that ritualclarity is most experienced in this area. Maybe you can PM to him and ask him for help if you don't find useful info in my thread although most of your questions are already answered there.

You're totally right, it was bad wording on my part. I'm sure I screwed something up during installation, just seems strange to me that it would be able to successfully install all the F4 mods but then upon restart not be able to find where it installed them. I must have done something wrong when assigning directory paths, I'm just not sure what.

I have F4 reinstalled to a vanilla state but I'm going to hold off on getting mods back up and running until I can be sure I'm not going to have to go through all this again. I guess my current main question is this: Is NMM a fully self-contained install? By that I mean, can I install a second copy of NMM to my second hard drive without affecting the first copy? If so, that will solve all of my problems with Multi HDD support by just having two independent copies of NMM, one for Skyrim and one for Fallout.

I suspect it isn't fully self-contained, though. I don't have time to search through the thread you provided (just about to head off to work) but I'll do some digging when I get home. Looks like a great resource, I've bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks, Elf!

You're totally right, it was bad wording on my part. I'm sure I screwed something up during installation, just seems strange to me that it would be able to successfully install all the F4 mods but then upon restart not be able to find where it installed them. I must have done something wrong when assigning directory paths, I'm just not sure what.

I have F4 reinstalled to a vanilla state but I'm going to hold off on getting mods back up and running until I can be sure I'm not going to have to go through all this again. I guess my current main question is this: Is NMM a fully self-contained install? By that I mean, can I install a second copy of NMM to my second hard drive without affecting the first copy? If so, that will solve all of my problems with Multi HDD support by just having two independent copies of NMM, one for Skyrim and one for Fallout.

I suspect it isn't fully self-contained, though. I don't have time to search through the thread you provided (just about to head off to work) but I'll do some digging when I get home. Looks like a great resource, I've bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks, Elf!

I highly recommend you to go through my OP when you have time.

Also, here is the answer to your question  that on member of NMM using two NMMs like the member above my post.

Warning for everybody who uses a double NMM setup.

The current version - 0.61.17 will not ask for a location where to install itself. It will overwrite the latest NMM install.

The only way to setup a double NMM is to use one of the older 0.61 versions before installing the new one.

SO if you want to install 2 NMM - one pre 0.61 and the newest one:

1. Install the old NMM and change the install path to somehting else (for example "NMM old")

2. Install 0.61.14 in a normal way. The install location that you select here will be used from NMM from now on.

3. Install the current new version. It will overwrite 0.61.14

Archived