Agent Idea Thread

zippy57

Nobody cared about the image. :( Oh' date=' well. It's not like it was incredibly vague or anything... :P

But still on the topic of that quest, is anyone here a static model (non-clothing) modeler/texturer/whateverer? I need a new tileset... If I get the new tileset it'll be used for more than just this quest and will show up in non-Wild Wasteland missions. If I [i']don't[/i], I'll have to drop this quest because the standard office tileset isn't cutting it here.

Have you checked out the Speedy Resources mod? Has a "modular office" tileset and quite a few other assets and tilesets and has really generous permissions.

Yeah, I've seen that. I'm actually considering using some of the Vault Passage tileset in a future mission. But none of that stuff works for this particular situation. The reason the vanilla office tileset isn't cutting it is that it doesn't fit the idea of the area. None of the tilsets do, so I just picked the office tileset because it has all the basic pieces (small/large hallway/doorway, broken floor, etc.) and would allow me to get the basic layout of the cell done.

For reference, the mission profile for "Hot Pursuit":

Bryce has heard of a Securitron standing deactivated outside a destroyed building and sends the Courier to investigate. If the player has Wild Wasteland, Bryce mentions that the Securitron is painted green. And now for the spoilers...

The player will find a hatch leading down in the rubble. After working their way though some ruined corridors, it will suddenly open up into a high-tech facility of some kind. Moments after discovering the facility, the Securitron suddenly appears behind the player and starts trying to kill them. The Player must escape the facility without getting killed.

Players with Wild Wasteland will run through a different cell than those without it. The WW version is based directly on the inspiration for the quest. The non-WW version will have a similar layout but will be more Fallout-y and less reference-y.

EDIT: We have two major groups. This is what Group 1's base looks like. I need something for Group 2. Similar, yet the opposite. Darker colors, a less streamlined feel, and a clear industrial influence; lots of panels, mesh floors looking onto wires or machinery, etc..

A recent post reminded me... If anyone would be willing to do custom faces for me, I'd appreciate it. Right now all I do is hit the random button a couple times and while that's fine for the more generic NPCs I'd like the more important ones to actually stand out by having some effort put into them. Except I can't do face stuff at all, so I need someone to do it for me...

A recent post reminded me... If anyone would be willing to do custom faces for me' date=' I'd appreciate it. Right now all I do is hit the random button a couple times and while that's fine for the more generic NPCs I'd like the more important ones to actually stand out by having some effort put into them. Except I can't do face stuff at all, so I need someone to do it for me...

[/quote']

Since you have so generously offered to take a look at my "funky spelling and grammar" I´d like to offer you my help on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Scratch that previous post about Group 1's base. Just finally got around to testing out the resources and it turns out there are no modular pieces in it. The structure is split into five huge meshes, meaning I have to use it as-is or I can't use it at all. Unfortunately, I can't use it as-is.

Here's a progress update for the next update...

• The Hot Pursuit quest has been officially cancelled. This means Tier 1 is (at the moment) a two-quest Tier.
  • I am hoping to create a test to use in SexoutStore. Specifically, a voice acting test. Whether people like the VO or want it gone will have huge effects on the way certain sequences in SexoutAgent are handled. Without VO you will be losing a lot of stuff; notably a number of things the Player is meant to "overhear" that simply can't be done without VO. You also will lose my (planned) attempt to create an alternate dialogue "system" so that the person you're talking to doesn't have to be standing motionless three feet in front of you.
  • Somehow I really screwed up SexoutStore so the game can't even be loaded with it active. Until I fix this Agent isn't getting updated.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want a "fetch style quest" perhaps you could get the player involved in mediating a romance?

Deliveries might be the right choice here, instead of retrievals, but since different people might have different feelings, and interests, you would have various opportunities for complications, sequels, mishaps, embarrassments, failures, trying to make things right again, gossip, and maybe even some high speed wild geese?

Unfortunately, here we run into hidden backstory elements: Bryce would have no reason to send the player on a delivery. However, Special Delivery will introduce a recurring character. One of the reasons for the delay in Tier 1's release is that it includes the first appearance of several major characters, and there are certain things about them that need to be finalized.

Also:

screenshot58y.png

The two lower flags are final. The horribly-colored U.S. flag is not. I need some sort of version of the 48-star flag with the colors yellow/black/white and maybe six stripes. It just looks how it is now because I needed to force out this update due to new SCR stuff. I'll do it myself eventually, but I'm not really good with texture-related things that don't involve copy/pasting, fills, or adding text.

Unfortunately, the follow-up to Covert Op won't happen until Tier 5, as I've decided to make it a Story Mission. Here's some more detailed info on what's holding up the next update:

• Quick appearance by one major character; requires face to be done
  • Overheard conversation between two major characters; requires faces to be done, personalities to be mostly done, various background details to be finalized, and voices to be chosen/recorded
  • Relatively extensive interaction with one recurring character; requires face, personality, and background to be done and voice to be chosen/recorded
  • Six one-shot NPCs; face, personality, etc.
  • New dialogue for vanilla NPC
  • Patch of some kind so SexoutAffairs doesn't create a plot hole
  • Lockdown/Consequences feature for SexoutStore must be complete

And there's probably a few things I'm forgetting that go on that list.

Unfortunately' date=' here we run into hidden backstory elements: Bryce would have no reason to send the player on a delivery. However, [i']Special Delivery[/i] will introduce a recurring character.

That sounds good -- I imagine that a quest line this epic would require a lot of people.

One of the reasons for the delay in Tier 1's release is that it includes the first appearance of several major characters, and there are certain things about them that need to be finalized.

I need some sort of version of the 48-star flag with the colors yellow/black/white and maybe six stripes. It just looks how it is now because I needed to force out this update due to new SCR stuff. I'll do it myself eventually' date=' but I'm not really good with texture-related things that don't involve copy/pasting, fills, or adding text.

[/quote']

Something this big will probably need some "draft quality" limited-semi-releases, and I imagine you will have plenty of room for contributions. I am not sure how to organize this work, but I have seen other people do it.

If you can find an audience for your pre-releases, their feedback might sometimes improve your final result?

• 3 weeks later...

Added this to the OP, quoting it here so people notice.

SEMI-INCOMPATIBILITIES

This is a list of plugins that are (or will be) partially incompatible with SexoutAgent. This means that the plugins in question are fine simply sitting in your load order and only become incompatible if you perform certain in-game actions.

• SexoutBreeder' date=' following the currently planned Deathclaw path. Two reasons: 1) Takeover of Novac will cause so many issues both in-general and specifically that I'm not going to begin to put them here. Luckily (or not, depending on your point-of-view) that issue is made moot due to 2) Bryce is an Intelligence agent with extensive monitoring resources, taking over Ranger Station Echo is not something he wouldn't notice. Such an action will cause you to be marked as an enemy.

COMPATIBILITY PATCHES

• SexoutWorkingGirl. A Tier 9 quest (and likely some as-of-yet unplanned quest(S)) will allow the player to work as a prostitute. A compatibility patch will be available to switch from the system I provide in Agent to a system using WorkingGirl's functions and variables.
  • SexoutAffairs. The presence of Inga causes a plot hole in a Tier 1 quest. A compatibility patch will be available to add interactions with Inga designed to fill the plot hole.

BEING MARKED AS AN ENEMY

Certain actions will cause you to be marked as an enemy. In its most basic sense, this means RS officers will be hostile to you on sight. Depending on how far into the Tiers you are when you are marked as an enemy, your travel to/from various areas may be made more difficult, and in some cases armed patrols may be specifically sent out after you.

ABOUT SEXOUTAGENT AND SEXOUTSTORE

SexoutStore by itself is simply a store resource. When SexoutAgent is active, SexoutStore is changed. It can still be used as a store resource, but it is heavily altered to fit the various aspects of SexoutAgent. If you make the RS officers go hostile to you, they will no longer be willing to let you into their Bunker to buy things.

The flags are part of Store. Agent doesn't touch them. I just posted them here because their existence is related to the Agent backstory. I have no idea what would cause the game to forget about the Texture Sets. (By the way, I'm ditching the funny-colored flag and just going with a standard 48-star US flag.)

As far as I'm aware, neither issue should be possible. So despite my immediate urge to say that they are in no way related, I can't really say that.

I'm considering starting a blog for updates for Agent, largely because it would allow me to create separate pages to display information on instead of trying to cram everything into a single post. This thread would still be here for ideas and questions, but updates and information would be moved to the blog.

Would people actually read the thing if I made it, or should I not waste my time?

Well, the limit of how much info you can "cram" into one page is pretty big isn't it? Personally I don't see anything wrong with a datetag and spoilers for each update. It would be just about the same amount of work, if not less, than creating a blog just for the purpose of keeping track of updates.

That, and the off-site nature of it would mean that, from experience, a hell of a lot less people would read it.

My 2 cents.

That's the thing, I can indeed cram a lot of information into one post. I'm just afraid the amount of information would make the OP a nightmare to navigate. The problem isn't the updates, it's that I'm worried my constant response of "that doesn't really work" to ideas is causing people to not really want to submit ideas, so I want to have my design docs and things available to people so they can come up with ideas that do fit. But my basic plot outline is 1,329 words long, and it's not even close to being complete. And apparently you can't nest more than one spoiler within another spoiler because when I tried it a few seconds ago the page preview started freaking out.

I'll get some information together, toss it into the OP, and see how it looks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zizppy,

I've had a look at the OP, and I think it looks great. I've come up with a few ideas regarding Tier 1 and 2 quests.

If the idea is to initially train/test the player in the arts of espionage and covert activities before sending them on "proper missions", then I hope these work.

Tier 1:

Shaken, Not Stirred

Concept: Myron the moonshiner has taken to re-creating the classic Martini cocktail by producing both Gin and Vermouth at the "Cap counterfeiting shack", intending to sell the product at exorbitant prices to the Ultra Lux hotel. Successfully seduce the Myron, or infiltrate his establishment and steal his secret recipe. Fake, incriminating evidence, must be left behind, marking you (the thief) as a rival bootlegger working for Gourd (maker of Strategic Nuclear Moose beer).

• Stated Objective: Steal Myron's recipes for Gin and Vermouth, and a sample of each.

• Imposed Limitations: Cannot kill Myron, or be caught in the act.

• Valid 3 S's: Sex, Stealth. Sex can be used to seduce Myron, letting you have a sample of the products afterwards (with a high speech) but not the recipes. Stealth will have to be used to acquire the recipes. Simple sneaking would suffice at this point.

• Consequences for breaking imposed limitation: Termination of contract.

• The surprise obstacle that stops this from being as simple as it appears: Secuding Myron only allows you to acquire one or the two required objectives.

• Other relevant information: On acquiring both samples and recipes (four items alltogether) the player must leave behind a "Strategic Nuclear Moose" bottlecap (to be given by the player's handler at assignment of mission) to misinform Myron as to the real thief of his contents.

Tier 2:

Thieves In The Night

Concept: Amy the prospector has set up shop in Novac, where she is working on a new biofuel car engine that would run on distilled ethanol synthesised from Banana Yucca plants, and would once more allow for cars to roam the Mojave. For undisclosed reasons, the Agency does not wish her to succeed. Steal the vital component of the engine - the experimental combustion tank - either by stealth, sex or slaugther, and escape unnoticed.

• Stated Objective: Steal the experimental combustion tank from Amy's shack in Novac.

• Imposed Limitations: Cannot kill Amy, cannot be discovered in the act by either Amy or the bodyguard, and let either live.

• Valid 3 S's: Sex, Stealth and Slaugter. Sex can be used to gain Amy's confidence and make her more disposed to showing you the engine. Stealth can be used to outright sneak your way in and steal the engine. Slaugther can be used to kill the mercenary Army has hired to protect the shack at night.

• Consequences for breaking imposed limitation: Termination of contract.

• The surprise obstacle that stops this from being as simple as it appears: Sleeping with Amy makes her more likely to want to show you the engine during day time (when she works on it) - provided the player also has a good repair and science knowledge. Otherwise, sleeping with her will gain you nothing than well, sleeping with Amy.

Likewise, sneaking into the shed at night (even without the guard noticing) will always have the guard spawn behind him once in the shed. The player will somehow have to make his death look like an accident. This can be avoided if the player somehow attacks the guard while outside the shed, but making his death look like an accident outside will prove even more challenging than from within.

• Other relevant information: As it is, the player will either have to be a skilled mechanic and scientist to just get a look at the engine (and take the part while Amy is not looking) or have to try and sneak his way in. Killing the guard proves inevitable, but it must be made to look like an accident. The player will have to prove inventive, with appropriate items scattered throughout helping him/her in those goals.

Archived