What would you actually pay for if it was in CC?

khumak

I have decided to boycott Bethesda completely so nothing would convince me, but if I WERE to pay for content, they would have to be at least on the scale of Moonpath to Eslweyr.

I like their games too much after modding them to do that.  I do wait for a fire sale on Steam before buying though.  I paid less than $20 for the legendary/game of the year edition of Skyrim, less than $10 for that version of Fallout 3/NV, etc.  I'll get Fallout 4 eventually as well when I can get the base game plus all of the DLCs for less than $20.  I don't ever pay full price for a game and I almost always wait to buy for at least a year or 2 after it comes out to get a good deal on it.  Maybe I'm just a cheap SOB, but I'm ok with that :)

This is probably going to come across as really cheapskate (and I'm not sure I have a defence tbh), but I just don't feel like I'm ever going to want to pay to mod a 6 year old game with Bethesda as any kind of middle man. I guess I see what we've been doing over a decade or more as a cheerful, accessible, free spirited cottage industry. I don't see how Bethesda fit into that without looking like Daddy Warbucks before he met Annie.

Having said all of that, I might feel less hostile to CC if this was TES6, a clean slate,  and Bethesda had been directly involved in nurturing the mod scene from day one, rather than just releasing the CK and saying "there you go girls and boys, happy fixing, see you in 4 or 5 years!"

Anyone from the modding scene spending just one cent on the Creation Club has to be braindead. You are literally paying for your hobby's funeral.

What if CC actually did release things that modders can't do like increase the number of light sources allowed per mesh from say 4-10 or something?  Or implement subsurface scattering and every other feature available in ENB for Oldrim.   I'd buy that.

So you would like it when the game not only has optional microtransactions, but also a "premium" system where the base game is outdated garbage and you had to pay for basic features that every other state-of-the-art game ships with?

I think this confirms my statement above.

One doesn't need cc to buy add-ons, there's steam.

I'm fairly certain that Bethesda will follow the example of what EA did with Origin.

You already have to register on beth.net to get the Creation Kit for Fallout 4. Now the platform is in place, tested for a couple of years with the help of useful fools who uploaded their mods for free. Seems quite logical that their future games will no longer be on Steam.

• 2 weeks later...

Unique new lands that are filled with new quests, new items, plenty of interesting stories and npcs. For example, I really loved the Shivering Isle DLC for Oblivion. That was probably my top DLC I've ever played -- in any game ever. Still, I probably won't buy even something like that though simply because -- fuck micro-transactions. I don't want to support that practice at all. Just cut out that middle-man, and then I might be more open to paid mods -- er "creation club".

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely nothing. Vanilla Skyrim (standard or sse) is rubbish, with mods it becomes truly fantastic. It's the community that does this and does it for free (which is right and proper). I'll never pay for any CC crap nor would anyone who believes in the spirit of modding.

What would I be willing to pay for in CC?

Why just these which would all be for NEWRIM:

1) A working Schlongs of Skyrim (NOT the light version)

2) Racemenu

3) HDT phyics (which are needed for #4)

4) Floppy SOS  - Newrim is just not the same without watching my schlong bouncing all over the place :grin:

5) again a non-light version of SexLab (and some of its addons like SexLab Cumshot, SexLab Release, M2M Animations)

I guess I would have to hope for a package deal (lol)

OK, I didn't read any replies, just gonna answer the OP question

First, I'm in the free mods camp.  ONLY because of the way Bethesda has handled the whole thing.  They let us make free mods for ages and then when the mods start actually carrying the games, Bethesda and Zeni want to start charging. Not only that, they now badmouth non-paid mods, saying they're untested and dangerous.  Their updates have crashed SKSE64 once, and done the same for FOSE at least once that I know of.  Call me a conspiracy nut, but I don't think it's been accidental.  The whole crap about it's not paid mods because you're using virtual currency is dishonest and an insult to our intelligence too.

*IF* they were honest about it all, I'd be all for letting the free market decide if a mod is worth paying money for.  People like it, they'll buy it.  If not, no downloads.

ALL of that said, let's return to the original question.  IF it was the ideal situation I outlined above, I'd buy paid mods that met the following conditions:

1) They're actually something truly new and unique.  FAR more likely to buy if it's also DLC sized content like Falskaar.

2) The mod legitimately is bug checked and play tested by Bethesda.

3) The mod is properly supported if there are problems.  No EA style "it works fine on our system, so kiss off"

I know there's a fine line here.  Players are bad about not using LOOT to sort load order, refuse to not use other broken mods that derail good ones, etc...

4) There's a Steam style refund policy of a certain number of days or play hours in case the mod is crap

5) EDITED IN:  Bethesda and Zeni actually take a SMALL percentage of the sale price, like 20% or less.  Modder does the work, THEY deserve the money.

6) I never see another minimum effort mod that's a recolor of an existing weapon or a blatant ripoff of something else in the Creation Club

I'd buy anything I thought worth my money. Certainly nothing cosmetic. - As mentioned above the stability and support would have to be official quality.

But I never hear about it, as I get all my modding news from nexus and a small amount here of course :).

I am in the Pro consumer choice camp, let people pick what they will pay for, it's their money. Keep modding free and paid right alongside each other.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never even looked at any of the CC mods. I have perused a couple of Youtube reviewers I like and using their input, haven't seen anything in which  I'm interested. However, if I did hear about something good that was only available through CC and it was reasonably priced, I would likely consider paying for it. As a capitalist I have no issue with people being paid for their labor if they want to be paid. I also don't mind paying for things I want as long as the price is reasonable. I do not condone theft so I would never 'pirate' intellectual property. That being the case, if a mod I liked  was only available in CC and it was over priced (in my opinion) than I would do without or wait for someone else to make something similar for Nexus or the like.

A version of the mod 360 walk and run that also covers sprinting and movement while you have your weapon out, in other words, a mod that gives Darksouls mobility.

Different animations by type of weapon and unique power attacks for each one.

A truly working poise system to remove the "I'm hitting a rock" feeling.

On 11/21/2017 at 3:57 AM, Shadowhawk827 said:

Their updates have crashed SKSE64 once

SKSE64 has needed to be updated 3 times due to Creation Club. And a lot of the mods that require SKSE64 have similarlly needed to be updated. CC is a fucking nuisance. I don't know how Bethesda manage to implement something so amateurishly and ineptly, and expect free money to be shit all over them.

On 11/27/2017 at 9:26 PM, Zanan said:

As mentioned above the stability and support would have to be official quality.

Broken and abandoned is where you've set the bar then :P

On 12/21/2017 at 2:12 AM, R246 said:

SKSE64 has needed to be updated 3 times due to Creation Club. And a lot of the mods that require SKSE64 have similarlly needed to be updated. CC is a fucking nuisance. I don't know how Bethesda manage to implement something so amateurishly and ineptly, and expect free money to be shit all over them.

that's partially correct thought it only happens when they add new scripts like the pip-boy skin system and the gun skin system in fallout 4 or updates/code fixes.

the store itself gets updated by a separate file.

On 10/22/2017 at 1:40 PM, PsychoFox said:

I have decided to boycott Bethesda completely so nothing would convince me, but if I WERE to pay for content, they would have to be at least on the scale of Moonpath to Eslweyr.

who cares, you don't even have to use the dam Creation Club, you only see that dumb button for like 10 seconds at most at the start screen, what? you just sit there and stare at it for 5 hours?

get over it

On 10/22/2017 at 2:51 PM, Dova-Quim said:

CC is just the corporation trying to control the narrative,the next E.Scroolls there won't be free mods,infiltrate,built,aquire, monetize....game over.

your being too paranoid, there not that smart.

even if they did that it would be a bad business move, corporations want to make money not run off every customer they have (unless there that dumb)

corporations will always want to make more money, its the way of the world and keeps the world going around.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently started using the creation club to learn how to convert mods to SSE. Some just need to be opened and then saved and suddenly they work in SSE. Some need more work then that. It's definately neat and time saving how easy it can be to convert something with it. The right tool for the job should have some value to it.

Also looking at whats available for mods on the creation club. What I noticed was a huge amount of Xbox players seemingly discovering mods for the first time. As if they have no idea how much has been available in the world of modding. In fact I was just talking to a bar tender the other week who was telling me he spent a lot of time on Skyrim PlayStation mods lately when he wasn't serving alcohol. You should see what that game has to offer on PC I told him lol. So I guess from our perspectives as PC users we have high expectations. And to those just discovering it by console a weapon or something is worth 5$ or so. I know theirs a lot of debate over this. If you think something is worth the money and you can spread the wealth do so. Encourage quality work. If you don't like it go ahead and make your argument and demand more.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, khumak said:

Just curious where people stand on this.  Are you in the "F Bethesda, I'll never pay for anything" camp?  Are you already happily spending $5 for every crappy sword and armor item they crank out?  Would you buy a quest mod bigger and better than Bruma if it came from CC? 

What if CC actually did release things that modders can't do like increase the number of light sources allowed per mesh from say 4-10 or something?  Or implement subsurface scattering and every other feature available in ENB for Oldrim.  I'd pay a little for those last 2.  But based on their current pricing model what price would they charge for a Bruma scale mod?  If a single sword is $5 does that mean CC Bruma is $200?  I don't think so... 

I'd pay a small amount for CC versions of mods like Helgen Reborn, Rigmor, Clockwork, etc that have long/unique questlines but they'd have to change their pricing model.  A fetch quest that leads to a sword or any other item is worth exactly $0 to me.  If they bundled up everything currently in CC other than Survival mode and released it as a mod pack I wouldn't pay even $1 for it. 

IMO CC has 2 main problems right now.  1 is their pricing model.  They're charging DLC level prices for individual items.  $5 for CC version of Helgen Reborn, sure.  $5 for 1 crappy sword?  Not happening.  The other problem is the content itself.  Where are the "mini DLC" that are superior to what the free modding scene can make?  Where are the CC mods that tweak the game engine in ways that modders can't to do something cool?

Why don't they treat Nexus mods as sort of a testbed for potential CC content that they can charge console users for?  Troll Nexus for the most popular mods and then go offer those mod authors money to repackage their content for console users on the CC while leaving it free on the Nexus for the PC users who are testing it and rating it for them.  Then modders like Chesko/Isoku/Enai could keep making the overhauls they like to make and Bethesda could pay them to copy paste it for PS4 crowd who would surely love it as much as we do.  They could be sure that every single thing they release on CC would be a hit because it's already been playtested and rated on Nexus.

Why not pay Arthmoor and team for USSEP including periodic updates where they just integrate it into the base game for everyone for free?  What if Survival mode integrated Campfire/Frostfall/iNeed/Hunterborn/CACO and paid all of those mod authors for their work including a clause for further payments for future updates that Nexus users would happily bugtest for them?  I'd pay for that.  What if mod authors who's content made it into CC club could put in feature requests to Bethesda for things that aren't possible with the game engine currently?

What if an actual game company like Obsidian came to Bethesda and said hey we want to make a Fallout New Vegas scale "mod" for SE for $30.  I'd buy that.

The pricing model is likely based on whatever the Sony Playstation trade agreements deem appropriate.

That's really it, the bottom line.  It doesn't have to be agreeable, what it does have to do is set a new policy with Asian Markets that previously tightly controlled content that went on their end-users system.

From there it might be possible to implement new changes, commerce, and etc.

As far as what would it take to get computer users to buy stuff?

Well a heck of a lot cause its going to be hard as balls to get someone to pay for something when they can get knock off sneakers for next to nothing or free.

Whats worse is that those knock off sneakers may and likely are the better product.

Too be entirely honest, for people on PC to come to the table to purchase stuff they are going to have to make DLC sized mods that feel complete, likely its going to need quests, lands, items, music, voice acting, and all around feel like a finished polished product.

PC users are just more spoiled for choice so in this regard when asking what they would pay for understand that the Sky really is the new limit, as we already have such a huge library to pull from and know by heart every freaking great mod that ever hit the shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

throwing my two gold in here likely way too late. the stuff here at lovers lab and Nexus is better and free. I have thrown money at Nexus and Lovers labs for all the work they do. and have and will throw some bucks at modders.. esp the ones who make all the sexy devious / sexlab / slave stuff, sorry im a perv player slavery is awesome when it works. annoying when it crashes or doesnt.  

But still! I will not and never have paid for mods on beths pay net. and for me it would have to be a full blow DLC .. as Gameplayer said. it would have to be " perfect " and not cost more than actual dlc. 

Archived