Changing fishnet stockings to normal stockings

Question

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/5052/?tab=3&selected_game=120&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout3%2Fajax%2Fmodimages%2F%3Fid%3D5052%26user%3D1%26gid%3D120&pUp=1

Basically, the stockings ingame are fishnet stockings, but I want them to look like normal stockings (plain black) as seen in the second screenshot : https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/120/images/5052-1-1237809474.jpg

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Is this a texture thing?

Im looking at the mesh in nifskope but everything looks like greek to me...

Edit : I figured out where the textures part in nifskope are located, so I tried using textures from another mod. Came out looking like gibberish though.

OK so i figured out how to edit the texture and made it a solid color, and i can see that the stockings dont have the fishnet texture anymore in nifskope, but in game and in the GECK's preview window, they STILL have the fishnet texture.

Do i need to do something else in nifskope to get the textures to change? I have already changed the paths and nifskope is showing the new texture.

Edit : OK i figured out why, I had an extra mesh folder in my main Fallout New Vegas folder, and for some reason the game was using it.

So I had Fallout New Vegas\meshes and Fallout New Vegas\Data\Meshes and for some reason the former was taking priority despite it not being in the data sub folder.

Ive got it looking like a solid color now, but it looks pretty bad...not sure how to describe it. Very flat looking, doesnt appear to reflect light properly.

OK so i figured out how to edit the texture and made it a solid color, and i can see that the stockings dont have the fishnet texture anymore in nifskope, but in game and in the GECK's preview window, they STILL have the fishnet texture.

Do i need to do something else in nifskope to get the textures to change? I have already changed the paths and nifskope is showing the new texture.

Edit : OK i figured out why, I had an extra mesh folder in my main Fallout New Vegas folder, and for some reason the game was using it.

So I had Fallout New Vegas\meshes and Fallout New Vegas\Data\Meshes and for some reason the former was taking priority despite it not being in the data sub folder.

Ive got it looking like a solid color now, but it looks pretty bad...not sure how to describe it. Very flat looking, doesnt appear to reflect light properly.

In Nifskope, open the stocking mesh and click on the BSLightingShaderProperty. In the bottom section there will be an entry for glossiness. 1 is flat, 1000 (and higher) is glossy. OR you could add an alpha channel to your _n.dds (Normal Map) texture file. Filling this in with white is high gloss and black is no gloss, but the more subtle gloss in the pics suggests a grey scale slightly towards black.

Hope this helps.... :)

In Nifskope, open the stocking mesh and click on the BSLightingShaderProperty. In the bottom section there will be an entry for glossiness. 1 is flat, 1000 (and higher) is glossy. OR you could add an alpha channel to your _n.dds (Normal Map) texture file. Filling this in with white is high gloss and black is no gloss, but the more subtle gloss in the pics suggests a grey scale slightly towards black.

Hope this helps.... :)

Thanks, but the only glossiness i can find is actually under NiMaterialProperty. The original glossiness was 50, I tried increaisng it to 127.75 (a value i got from another pair of stockings), but it still looks pretty bland. Same with 1000 glossiness. Or maybe it might be the color is just a bad one, its pretty orange.

Not sure what you mean by alpha channel. I did notice that there were two texture files linked...is the alpha channel the second one? The default one had a vey faint fishnet texture and so i removed the second texture completely. The first texture was named tights.dds and the second one was tights_n.dds.

Edit : Also, am i supposed to save the texture file as a certain DXT format? Paint.net is giving me the option of DXT 1, 3 and 5, and im not sure which im supposed to use.

Another issue is that the original texture had a shape to it...while the one i am using now is just a plain color.  Is there a problem if the shape is not present in the texture? See the attached picture for what i mean.

post-24451-0-17003100-1503598212_thumb.jpg

The _n is the normal map - a mesh without a normal map will seem pretty "flat" and unnatural.

Alpha channel is the fourth channel, you can use it to put transparency in a mesh. If you'd use alpha, you  could see thighs from the stockings.

If you'll decide to use Alpha, you should compress with DXT 5, but if you're not then you can use DXT 1-3

Using a full color or a shape doesnt' change things directly, but look at the original texture - you'll see that there's shadows in some edges of the thigh. This kind of details is what make the texture better than a whole bucket of full color. Unless your character is a Lego.

Archived