[mod] [Stellaris] Kagami Species

Well, I guess both would fit into either psionic or gene warrior armies since they both have demonic powers and such on some level. Though I guess for cloned armies you can have them be cloned Taimanin. Considering I believe they cloned Asagi in VN, It wouldn't be too far of a stretch to have non-demonic, mass-produced versions of Taimanin, fighting in a conventional (ie. with guns and whatever futuristic war machines they have) manner, but still having some of that superior strength and reflexes that help made the original powerful. Definitely can see that happening whenever you finally perfect mass-cloning ingame in Stellaris.

Yeah I worried that the horizontalness of the art would make it a bad candidate. Too bad they didn't actually go forward with the April fools, but I guess they gotta keep milking TABA all they can. Too bad about the Ingrid ones, I guess the best way to use them is to somehow photoshop those hair "tails" to angle in closer to the body. That or just erase them, but that would be a waste.

I could try moving them behind her body--normally, her hair falls straight like that--but that would take time (probably not that much really). I'm not really sure what I'd do with all of them except turn them into general planetary pops, but that's still a few more portraits if I'm running out.

That style of sera fuku doesn't really work well in any other category either. Generally the more simple looking uniforms rarely do.

It's too bad a mix-and-match system of clothing, faces, and hair is really impossible for me to implement, but at least this way I can use the occasional exotic-looking promo artwork rather than being limited to in game sprites.

Yep, it appears 1.8 broke every custom species portrait pack and traits. Big discussion on it in the paradox forums.

Dunno if you want to do a temporariy fix or just wait for Paradox to come around do a more mod friendly fix.

Also, a few of new portraits seems to be off center, the 1st much more so then the other. Not sure if you are currently happy with the current name distribution so here is a sample of mine.

post-2219692-0-62243600-1506031920_thumb.jpg

post-2219692-0-59031600-1506032043_thumb.jpg

post-2219692-0-17867500-1506032053_thumb.jpg

post-2219692-0-77955500-1506032073_thumb.jpg

Yep, it appears 1.8 broke every custom species portrait pack and traits. Big discussion on it in the paradox forums.

Dunno if you want to do a temporariy fix or just wait for Paradox to come around do a more mod friendly fix.

Also, a few of new portraits seems to be off center, the 1st much more so then the other. Not sure if you are currently happy with the current name distribution so here is a sample of mine.

Wow. That's a very big overhaul. I knew this was a possibility, and I'll go ahead and say that I actually would not be opposed to recreating the mod from scratch if it's necessary. I've actually attempted to do so more than once (I didn't succeed) to clean up aspects of ReMeDy's original mod (like the coding copied from another mod of his, hence "dtk_soviets", etc.). 

The problem is, I don't know how to do it presently. If I can figure that out, I'll add each line of code for each portrait again. I wouldn't enjoy it, but I'd do it. And ReMeDy no longer plays Stellaris, so I'm going to have to learn some other way.

Those off-center protraits are probably my fault--I don't have a great way of determining exactly how the portraits will be portrayed in-game, so I try and stay consistent, but for some characters that ends up looking strange. I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned, but this 1.8 overhaul is probably a lot more serious. And courtesy of Steam, we don't really have a choice whether to update or not.

I bet they don't bother fixing the heir generation/election system, hmmmmm. 

Don't think a complete overhaul is necessary, Think the update mainly added defines of whether or not the portraits are to be used for Machine intelligence and how many traits points/ max traits the species can have. Along with defining which traits are available to portraits (Which is the main huge problem).

I think tomorrow there will be a patch that along with the fixing of numerous bugs, that Paradox will hopefully come out with a more mod-friendly way for portrait mods.

The scientist portrait looked fine in faction view, but the regular view has most of her arm cut off, but it doesn't seem you have much space left to avoid having part of the arm cut off unlike the governor portrait.

Don't think a complete overhaul is necessary, Think the update mainly added defines of whether or not the portraits are to be used for Machine intelligence and how many traits points/ max traits the species can have. Along with defining which traits are available to portraits (Which is the main huge problem).

Hmmm, okay. Well, once someone figures that out, I'll try and incorporate the changes as well. The Paradox forums, at least in my experience, are remarkably useless--I guess I'll wait for other people to update their graphical overhaul mods and try and make sense of it (unless someone posts at these forums what you need to do). I'm kind of a leech like that. 

The horizontal positioning of portraits is something I sort of need to tweak a case-by-case basis. I don't think it'll be an issue, it just takes a little time since you can't just open a DDS file and move it (or at least I can't with Photoshop). 

So, after multiple tries I finally got Stellaris to start without crashing at 83% loading. I think I at least know what I need to fix: 1) Give Kagami species trait points (I'm thinking 3)--this was already mentioned but at least I understand now. 2) Fix the leader names in the namelist (apparently that changed) 3) Recreate the custom empires (I'm surprised this didn't break earlier) It may still be necessary to completely recreate the mod (and transport all the portrait coding over)--hopefully not, but we'll see.

EDIT: Okay, I figured out how to add species points--but I don't know how to direct where to look for traits (much less the two custom traits). I'm going to try and fix that, though worst comes to worst, I might have to create a new mod based off of a mammal species portrait pack and work from there. 

EDIT EDIT: Okay, so this is both known--and unsurprisingly, may still be broken on Paradox's end beyond even what they intended, hence the Universal Traits for Custom Species mod that already exists. Even if I got the mod working through that, that might not allow custom traits either, so it's not a great solution. I guess I just need to sit tight and wait for some sign that Paradox realized their dumb mistake. 

Okay, pretty sure I got it working without the added mods (though on the flipside, I think using the mod will break my fix in turn, so....consult the other mods instructions). Also recreated all the pre-made empires to work. Aside from maybe adding a few more portraits I'm good to release a the 1.8.0 compatible version. 

From what I read the only fix individual modders can do as of now will break all other species mods other then there's which is unfortunate. Though I guess at least now you can specifically assigned the custom traits to KAG only now.

Thanks for continuing to work on this mod!

That is unfortunate--I take it there's no way to add "copies" of the base game traits, rather than modifying them for a new species? I could release the mod so it only use the two traits I created (Well Endowed and Makai Kishi), but that would be a pretty poor solution. 

I guess the "solution" is to disable the Kagami mod if you're not going to use it. Way to go, Paradox--you're actually making Stellaris less moddable with each update. As though you're trying to tell us something and we can't take a hint. 

Except the update sometime tomorrow. I need to finish writing the readme. 

If you add "copies" of the base game traits, then you will be breaking all the events or modifiers that are influenced by said traits as they won't recognize the "copies" unless you add them in too. Like Strong/Very Strong increasing attraction towards militarist factions for pops.

Yeah Paradox programmers really dropped the ball here, the update DID make Stellaris more moddable, such as modders being able to swap out a tradition tree for a different one for an appropriate empire type (ie. Fanatical Purifiers has replacements for Diplomacy and Domination tree in the base game now.), they just happened to not think through how difficult it would affect a part of it (ie. stuff relating to Custom Species). No doubt part of this was to make sure Machine portraits and traits cannot be used for Organic empires and vis versa.

Well in retrospect, the obvious thing to do--at the least, is divorce the two new mod traits I added from the overall file. So someone can modify their own files for their mods instead of using mine as necessary. It should still work. 

I wonder if this issue could be remedied by something I've wanted to do for a long time and mentioned previously: instead of the Kagami being "a human species in the Kagmi category", them being "the Kagami species in the mammal/human category"--mam99/hum99 or something. They're obviously mammals, even if calling them humans in either case is slightly inaccurate, and having to look for them under mammals would be a small issue next to all the mod problems--they would just have all the mammal/human traits (and two more added by me).

It probably doesn't matter. I can't even change the coding from DTK to KAG and dtk_soviets to kagami without it breaking everything. Changing that level of categorization is probably impossible for me.

Tried the update, Leader's Skill level borked. Looks like you didn't change the 00_defines. Threw out the mod's 00_defines and the game worked fine it seems. Hope you didn't make any special changes to that file.

Looks like Wiz is working on a less insane version for hotfix.

I am working on a solution right now. Instead of traits checking directly against species classes, species classes will now have archetypes that the traits check against, so if you want to add a new machine or biological species class, you just assign it the correct archetype.

Archetypes also have support for inheriting traits from other archetypes if you want to make for example a new biological species class that also has access to its own set of new traits.

Here's how the archetype file looks:

Code:
BIOLOGICAL = {}ROBOT = {}MACHINE = {}PRESAPIENT = {}OTHER = {}#EXAMPLE OF MODDED SPECIES ARCHETYPE#Will be able to use traits valid for BIOLOGICAL, ROBOT and BIOLOGICAL2#BIOLOGICAL2 = { inherit_traits_from = { BIOLOGICAL ROBOT } }

And traits now look like this:

Code:
trait_thrifty = {    cost = 2    allowed_archetypes = { BIOLOGICAL }    modifier = {        tile_resource_energy_mult = 0.15    }}

I've actually never changed the defined values, including when I took over the mod from prior to Utopia's release. I...don't really know what it does beyond "Overall game values not limited to the species pack." I assumed it was there because if I took it away someone would break. I guess I can just throw it out?

There is already a 00_defines file in the base game. It effectively governs the values of the fundamentals of the gameplay mechanics. If you are not planning to change any fundemental mechanics of the game like increasing the max cap for the # of possible leaders to recruit at one time, adjusting how large a fleet can effectively bombard a planet until it extra ships don't count, or changing the # of Ethos points an empire is allowed to have then I am pretty sure you don't need it in your mod as it will just default to vanilla gameplay (or whatever modded one you have up). Unless ofc you want to have pre-utopia gameplay values.

Think one of the new governors portraits off center. Thought I also noticed a recolored lieri portrait as a scientist as well. Not sure if you already saw this, but at least one looks like a valid science leader.

post-2219692-0-93562000-1506458447_thumb.jpg

post-2219692-0-53648100-1506458713_thumb.png

post-2219692-0-27456800-1506458744_thumb.png

post-2219692-0-73040300-1506458748_thumb.png

post-2219692-0-56386900-1506458753_thumb.png

My game is crashing 5 sec after the launch of a new game.

even if im using only this mod.

anyone can help me?

That's definitely a mod conflict, but like you said, you're only using one mod--making it very unusual. 

Just to rule the obvious out, what GPU are you using? This game makes use of pretty high quality art assets which can cause problems on low end systems. 

My game is crashing 5 sec after the launch of a new game.

even if im using only this mod.

anyone can help me?

Think that has to do with the 00_define file problem I had earlier. Go to where you place the mod folder and mod>kagami>common>defines and delete or move the 00_defines file out and Stellaris should work.

Another bug currently with the Kagami species is that you can't bio engineering mods on them ie. add and/or remove traits currently. Looks like 1.8.1 is already in open beta so it probably might come out in a week or so.

Can you take a look again at the Well-Endowed trait decreasing food production? I believe earlier you wanted Well-Endowed pops to consume more food, but change in one of the patch broke that. I think -10% penalty to food production is pretty harsh with just a 5% Growth speed bonus and alien happiness on same planet not really enough to make up for that. Maybe lowering the penalty or upping the growth rate to compensate? Or make the trait be worth 0 points as I don't think its really a net benefit taking it as of now.

In 1.05, the trait 'Well-Endowed' already conveys one more benefit (that isn't listed)--rulers are recruitable between ages 15 to 35 (and their lifespans aren't decreased with or without Makai Kishi), so you get leaders with ~20 year longer careers. Not much of a benefit, but still worth considering.

I wanted to increase consumption ("big eaters"), but that's not a thing (as far as I can tell), so this is the closer thing. I'm open to adjusting them. 'Makai Kishi' really needs harsher penalties (probably in the form of planetary unrest) considering the bonuses it gives for only one point. It'll need to be balanced out too. 

Actually that would be a pretty significant thing, especially for builds that focus on leader level caps. That means you are more likely to have longer living leaders that will reach/will utilize their max skill levels.

Perhaps if you want to simulate increased consumption instead use increased consumer goods? Not the same as consuming more foods I guess, but as of now you can use robots or other species as work around to get pass food production penalty. As for 'Makai Kishi' I was starting to wonder if it was better served as a special government civic, like Inward Perfection or Fanatical Purifier, where you get Nigh immortal leaders but have certain penalties and benefits better fleshed out as a civic, maybe even have tradition swaps too. Although I guess that maybe more work then just a simple species trait.

That might be better--Makai Kishi is already limited to some form of authoritarian government (we have to imagine that if Ingrid actually ran the government, she'd be pretty unforgiving even if not an outright vampire hivemind), which helped offset the very good perks it gives. But I'd need to figure out how to make civics as well as traits. 

I actually have other thematic traits I want to make, but I'm still unhappy with how the "Well Endowed" icon looks. Thanks for making a goddamn microscopic icon, Paradox, so small that even an idea as simple as "chesty ladies" is hard to convey at that scale. 

EDIT: Also--I guess I better get a start on preparing the mod for 1.8.1 (and I presume trait fixes). Time to install the beta...*sigh*

EDIT EDIT: OK done. Fortunately it was relatively straightforward, though it would've been nice if they'd gone that way in the first place.