[mod] [Stellaris] Kagami Species

That might be better--Makai Kishi is already limited to some form of authoritarian government (we have to imagine that if Ingrid actually ran the government, she'd be pretty unforgiving even if not an outright vampire hivemind), which helped offset the very good perks it gives. But I'd need to figure out how to make civics as well as traits. 

I actually have other thematic traits I want to make, but I'm still unhappy with how the "Well Endowed" icon looks. Thanks for making a goddamn microscopic icon, Paradox, so small that even an idea as simple as "chesty ladies" is hard to convey at that scale. 

EDIT: Also--I guess I better get a start on preparing the mod for 1.8.1 (and I presume trait fixes). Time to install the beta...*sigh*

EDIT EDIT: OK done. Fortunately it was relatively straightforward, though it would've been nice if they'd gone that way in the first place. 

So just curious, where do i find the beta patch for this mod? or is it not released yet?

That might be better--Makai Kishi is already limited to some form of authoritarian government (we have to imagine that if Ingrid actually ran the government, she'd be pretty unforgiving even if not an outright vampire hivemind), which helped offset the very good perks it gives. But I'd need to figure out how to make civics as well as traits. 

I actually have other thematic traits I want to make, but I'm still unhappy with how the "Well Endowed" icon looks. Thanks for making a goddamn microscopic icon, Paradox, so small that even an idea as simple as "chesty ladies" is hard to convey at that scale. 

EDIT: Also--I guess I better get a start on preparing the mod for 1.8.1 (and I presume trait fixes). Time to install the beta...*sigh*

EDIT EDIT: OK done. Fortunately it was relatively straightforward, though it would've been nice if they'd gone that way in the first place. 

So just curious, where do i find the beta patch for this mod? or is it not released yet?

Whoops, I should've been clearer: I've got it working, but I haven't posted it yet (in part because 1.8.1 is still in beta and not "out the pipe").

I'll probably go ahead and release in shortly though, just with a large warning "DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU'RE STILL USING 1.8.0, IT WILL NOT WORK." I'm doing a few final touches, as well as adding new prescripted empires (as well as a way to make them optional if you don't want them blocking up your nice empire list in game). 

Belated 1.8.1/1.8.2 release! Everything should work--and I've included quite a few new pre-made empires, all BISHOP inspired. While I'll probably include a section on the empires in the next version's readme, the big takeaway is that if the list is getting distracting or inconveniently long, you always have the option of deleting one of the two files in the prescripted countries folder. Other fixes include some portrait readjustments (quite a few probably necessary), as well as a bunch of new ones. 

Belated 1.8.1/1.8.2 release! Everything should work--and I've included quite a few new pre-made empires, all BISHOP inspired. While I'll probably include a section on the empires in the next version's readme, the big takeaway is that if the list is getting distracting or inconveniently long, you always have the option of deleting one of the two files in the prescripted countries folder. Other fixes include some portrait readjustments (quite a few probably necessary), as well as a bunch of new ones. 

Well in 1.8.2 there is a problem with too small female kagami portraits for pops, rulers, leaders and etc. Also would be great if u made female only version of your great mod. Thx!

Portraits still look the right size to me.

I believe portraits "kila" and "kila4" should be switch around in regards to Admiral and General position, unless you think its better thematically to have an admiral kicking somebody while holding a knife in her mouth in a middle of a fleet engagement!

Biological ascension still is borked with this verison, but luckily enough I manged to fix this myself. Go to kagami_species_archetypes file and replace your current text with,

KAGAMI = {
 inherit_trait_points_from = BIOLOGICAL
 inherit_traits_from = { BIOLOGICAL }
}

and that should allow everybody to use bio-engineering on Kagami pops.

post-2219692-0-53080800-1507851194_thumb.jpg

Whoops. "Kila" is supposed to be a ruler-only portrait, though Kila Kushan isn't supposed to be in the admiral pool, I basically only wanted her as an optional general (given her role in her game), but given that you're more likely to recruit admirals I might move her over anyway. *fixed*

Thanks for that info about the traits--I haven't played 1.8.2 much (or really at all), so I didn't know about the bio-enhancement thing. I'll probably add it to the next release anyway, even though the only heroine I can recall with cybernetics in a Lilith game is Asuka and her prosthetic limbs from TA3. 

Well in 1.8.2 there is a problem with too small female kagami portraits for pops, rulers, leaders and etc. Also would be great if u made female only version of your great mod. Thx!

It sounds like you might be having the "underpowered graphics processor" issue that causes portraits larger than 200 kb to appear small. What GPU does your PC have? 

(Also, I don't plan to do a female only version because you can't script female only leaders...yet.)

In that case you should also move "kilia" from KS2 to admiral pool as I remember her being the commander of the Neo Terror fleet in the prologue of that game.

From what I understand, Bio-engineering is more like having your natural skin genetically enhanced to become hard as steel or your muscles becoming two times stronger rather then getting completely new prosthetic limbs. If anything, Asuka is more like a Cyborg on the path to synthetic ascension with her reliance on her prosthetic limbs in Stellaris terms.

Somehow, in overwriting the old Kagami with the new Kagami, I now have two Kagami entries.  The first has no access to traits.  The second does.  Also the new traits are only usable by the Kagami.

Of course, the point seems to be moot, as with the mod active, the game hangs on starting a new game with them, at halfway through.

Somehow, in overwriting the old Kagami with the new Kagami, I now have two Kagami entries.  The first has no access to traits.  The second does.  Also the new traits are only usable by the Kagami.

Of course, the point seems to be moot, as with the mod active, the game hangs on starting a new game with them, at halfway through.

Ah, okay, so I think this gets to something I assumed could be taken for granted, but maybe should outright explain:

You absolutely need to delete the original mod (the "Kagami" folder, as the Kagami modfile will be overwritten anyway). I recently changed a bunch of file names for organization/style reasons, but the defines file was causing serious issues (and was removed). Likewise, this is definitely not compatible with a save from before 1.8.0. Possibly before 1.8.1/2 seeing how the species trait system was radically changed.

I'll include a direct warning about that in the readme. 

Plus, that could cause a mixup between specific portraits.

Anyway, something possibly exciting about 1.06: I'll be adding slave-specific art assets, for all four types (chattel, domestic, war thralls and livestock). Chattel and domestic are, in a sense, already in game (but as general pops): chattel (which I would like to rename to something with the prostitution themes in some Lilith games, were that possible) will largely consist of portraits of characters in bikinis, skimpier swimsuits, and similar clothing, domestics will consist of portraits of maids and the like. 

War thralls are tougher: I'm thinking of trying to find more artwork of generic suit-wearing mooks or otherwise indistinct villains. Livestock even more so: so far all I can think of are nude sprites because...livestock? Huh. As before, the challenge is keeping in fitting with the "theme" of the mod (or perhaps a nebulous definition of good taste?) while filling this categories. Naturally they won't even approach the diversity of the general unslaved planetary pops, but I do want to avoid repeats as much as possible. 

That'll be something I'll gradually roll out with the next update. When I mentioned the intention to implement slavery pops portraits, there were only 2 types of slaves in game (I think), and since I almost never use slavery myself I don't have much experience with them. 

The game probably hanging because of the old 00_defines file. As everybody else said, just delete the mod and place a fresh copy of the latest one in.

Synthesis

Plus, that could cause a mixup between specific portraits.

Anyway, something possibly exciting about 1.06: I'll be adding slave-specific art assets, for all four types (chattel, domestic, war thralls and livestock). Chattel and domestic are, in a sense, already in game (but as general pops): chattel (which I would like to rename to something with the prostitution themes in some Lilith games, were that possible) will largely consist of portraits of characters in bikinis, skimpier swimsuits, and similar clothing, domestics will consist of portraits of maids and the like. 

War thralls are tougher: I'm thinking of trying to find more artwork of generic suit-wearing mooks or otherwise indistinct villains. Livestock even more so: so far all I can think of are nude sprites because...livestock? Huh. As before, the challenge is keeping in fitting with the "theme" of the mod (or perhaps a nebulous definition of good taste?) while filling this categories. Naturally they won't even approach the diversity of the general unslaved planetary pops, but I do want to avoid repeats as much as possible. 

That'll be something I'll gradually roll out with the next update. When I mentioned the intention to implement slavery pops portraits, there were only 2 types of slaves in game (I think), and since I almost never use slavery myself I don't have much experience with them. 

How would that work though in the game with this mod? I imagine it relatively easy with non-static portraits as they just simple designate some "clothes" value as the slave specific art. That would make it simple and easy for free pops that become slaves have a simple clothes change and vis versa. With static, I assume not every free or slave pops will have a suitable replacement. Does that mean like in a caste system a free pop moved onto enslaved resource will suddenly morph into an appropriate portrait?

Hopefully there is an option of just keeping everything in a general pop setting.

I guess for this leader, you may as well cut off some of her hair if it means you can see the rest of her body in the portrait.

post-2219692-0-81131700-1508025044_thumb.jpg

Sure, I can make that adjustment.

But yes, pop portraits will actually randomly change while you're watching them if you're fast enough, but the game tries to hide them otherwise. Likewise in my own tests, switching to slavery, and between different types of slavery, causes the portraits to be updated. With non-static portraits like Elves, Asari, etc., their clothing only is supposed to change but that occasionally fails to work (and seeing how portraits naturally change on their own anyway....that's fine). 

I think it's a non issue--a planet is not literally occupied by 11 people with their portraits visible, think of them more as representatives of geographic localities, even random ones. 

That's not a bad idea, though--I could include a separate configuration file if there's enough requests for all maids/bikinis/S&M getups in the general pool (or even just copy the slave portraits into the general population anyway). It wouldn't be hard. 

(which I would like to rename to something with the prostitution themes in some Lilith games, were that possible)

It is. Its in the 1_english file under slavery_domestic.

Oh, well that's easy enough.

I'll have to think of something. On the other hand, I don't want to get "too dark" (ironic in a game where you can commit genocide on a planetary scale, but you get the idea). 

So I've run into a really strange bug.

I cannot get the Kagami Species to spawn as an AI empire. I've tried saving the canon ones as empires and making custom new ones. I've tried making them the only ones to force spawn, but they refuse at all.

That's actually not a bug--they're all marked as spawn_enabled=no. I went that way since I wasn't sure if they'd be suitable as AI empires, though it may be overdue to change that. On the other hand, there are now quite a few empires included with the pack, and I wouldn't want to flood the user potentially with Kagami AI empires. 

(which I would like to rename to something with the prostitution themes in some Lilith games, were that possible)

It is. Its in the 1_english file under slavery_domestic.

So you can't change these things--without changing it for everyone.

To make a unique slavery caste system for Kagami would take a unique trait...or something....very complicated. So even though I have some pretty entertaining and funny flavor text for various forms of sexy, Lilith-style servitude, that's going to be shelved. But I will include the general unique slave portraits in the next release. 

So I've been throwing myself at this problem, but i've hit into a snafu.

citizenship_caste_system = {
token = citizenship_caste_system

I absolutely cannot find where the system defines these tokens. Theoretically you could copy over a type of slavery and define it differently, assuming that the Token is just the portrait stripe.

I appreciate your effort, though I couldn't really help. I've been studying Nessa's vastly superior work, and it's reminded me that I do want to do some simplistic gender policy options--basically, 3/4 or 4/5 female leaders versus 100% female leaders. That would help avoid duplicates, to start, but even that would be challenging (and I can't just copy Nessa's work wholesale even if I wanted to). 

I'm sure i could write 100 unique events, and I certainly have the artwork to make it possible, but the coding would be a nightmare. 

I'm vaguely looking through the files.  In the Kagami traits file, there's this;

@primary = 0.80
@secondary = 0.60
@tertiary = 0.20
@gaia_habitability = 0.50

If I'm not misreading it(and that is possible), that means Gaia is a liability-they get only 50% habitability on it, which is worse than a secondary type planet.  Why do the Kagami hate Gaia planets?

I'm vaguely looking through the files.  In the Kagami traits file, there's this;

@primary = 0.80
@secondary = 0.60
@tertiary = 0.20
@gaia_habitability = 0.50

If I'm not misreading it(and that is possible), that means Gaia is a liability-they get only 50% habitability on it, which is worse than a secondary type planet.  Why do the Kagami hate Gaia planets?

Haha, that's left over code from testing that me techniques taught to me by the very-patient Nessa in the 1.8.1/1.8.3 switch.

There's no reason to have that. It's already out in my current version. I removed the entirety and not just the last line since...the the Kagami work like default humans when it comes to planetary climates.