Oblivion and CPU/GPU

I've been saving money for some time and I decided to invest some of it buying a new graphics card, the GTX 1060 in particular, in order to replace my old GT 740 (which allows me to play my current mod setup at silky, cinematic 720p @18 fps). The thing is that i still have a FX6350 CPU and I'm not sure if just upgrading the GPU will be enough or I just need to put my next paycheck on a new rig.

As far as I know, Oblivion is from the single-core-CPU era and FX CPUs are well known for having low single core performance. What do you think about this?

While not that strong, FX-6350 is not that bad, and in combo with GTX 1060 it should work well.

When I was playing Oblivion (even with mods) with AMD Phenom II and GTX 560 I had 60fps using maximum settings at 1080p, only in cities fps would sometimes go as low as 35-40fps (which is still playable). So I think you should have great experience, because GT 740 is not that strong GPU, and in gaming, good GPU is (still) more important than any other PC parts. Bottleneck will be there, but it should not be that strong.

Going from GT 740 to GTX 1060 6GB (which is similar to GTX 980 and GTX 1060 3GB is similar to GTX 970 as benchmarks shows) will be a very big jump :)

I've been saving money for some time and I decided to invest some of it buying a new graphics card, the GTX 1060 in particular, in order to replace my old GT 740 (which allows me to play my current mod setup at silky, cinematic 720p @18 fps). The thing is that i still have a FX6350 CPU and I'm not sure if just upgrading the GPU will be enough or I just need to put my next paycheck on a new rig.

As far as I know, Oblivion is from the single-core-CPU era and FX CPUs are well known for having low single core performance. What do you think about this?

On Oblivion affects only  the CPU frequency , because engine calculates all geometry ahead of the player by the processor. (Behind buildings for example too)

Do not waste money.

Yes the game is antique, was built for single core CPU and 512 RAM. If you don't use any tools you high end computer can only use one core and 512 RAM.

A multi core support was added in the last official Oblivion patches ... but in all discussion about it you can read a better performance is hardly noticeable.

And the CPU speed is important: if you have a quad core with 2.6GHZ or a dual core with 3.2GHz the 3.2GHz dual core is the better choice for Oblivion.

Do you use all tools to improve the performance? 4GB Patch, Stutter remover,ENB boost,..

And have you set the multi core support in the Oblivion ini ?

All in my yellow Link blelow.

Tools at the Top of the post,  then scroll down to  "INI settings"

On Oblivion affects only  the CPU frequency , because engine calculates all geometry ahead of the player by the processor. (Behind buildings for example too)

Do not waste money.

Then, if clock speeds matter in Oblivion, should I do OC to my CPU if in order to improve fps and reduce stuttering?

Yes the game is antique, was built for single core CPU and 512 RAM. If you don't use any tools you high end computer can only use one core and 512 RAM.

A multi core support was added in the last official Oblivion patches ... but in all discussion about it you can read a better performance is hardly noticeable.

And the CPU speed is important: if you have a quad core with 2.6GHZ or a dual core with 3.2GHz the 3.2GHz dual core is the better choice for Oblivion.

Do you use all tools to improve the performance? 4GB Patch, Stutter remover,ENB boost,..

That post has been in my bookmarks for quite some time. I think I achieved the perfect Oblivion.ini since the game rarely crashes.

Do not waste money.

Then, if clock speeds matter in Oblivion, should I do OC to my CPU if in order to improve fps and reduce stuttering?

That post has been in my bookmarks for quite some time. I think I achieved the perfect Oblivion.ini since the game rarely crashes.

Maybe the latest i5 processors with an overclocking up to 5 GHz will give something real. The problem in the game engine, not in the processor.

Oblivion / <- that Gamebryo's version is indeed CPU prioritized (english..)

I recall reading that unmodded oblivion had Required clocks of 3ghz and recommended was 3,5. 2006 clocks were higher than nowdays because dual cores were just hitting the market and quad cores arrived a bit later and they reduced the clocks and everything was shared among the other cores.

GPU does help because when i had 2ghz gpu, my unmodded oblivion had like 300fps.

Now my CPU is ~3,6ghz (not sure if turbo mode ever switches on) but my fps is averages around 60-70. Most snus dungeons are 20-40 but thats mostly because of how poor oblivions engine is. Too much clutter on screen and not even GTX 960+ cards cant really help you.

Tl;dr: CPU clocks matter with oblivion and  gtx 1060 should be more than enough for graphics.

Allright. Now, after removing the dust and replacing the thermal paste on the heatsink, I was able to raise the clock from 3.9 to 4.2 (yeah, my CPU is a damn furnace).

With OR and OSR I can reach 80 or so fps (maybe because of fps management).

firstly it would depend on what you call stuttering, there are many forms your current setup should be good for 40-60 fps easy

i wish people would list temps also but i already see you have replaced paste, i run the fx 9370 so if you think your fx 6000 is hot i would think again you dont know the meaning of hot tbh.

now seen as how your messing with clocks do you actually know what your doing? there are numerous bios setting that could be causing your stuttering along with a hot CPU how about APM mode is it on? i mean you need to help yourself here there is 0 point in buying new stuff if you are or unwilling to learn the stuff you have atm. if you are still unwilling after reading this then go blow your cash on what ever tbh as this will be my only message until you list temps and what your cooling with

if your struggling to cool then you guess it buy a new cooler. imagine you went for a run soon as you got back i told you to go out again. making your CPU run too hot will decrease life these cpu should be no more than 63 degs C or they will throttle (stuttering) mine is even less at 57 deg. if it were me i would learn a bit more about hardware b4 i jumped full in to a crappy no good i5 that is no better than a Dual core or quad at max, you have a 6 core atm not great but should still run at 60 fps easy with the right card. an I5 is no better than what you have atm but 3x the price

things that hog CPU power are background apps for a start.

shadows

vsync

draw distance

lighting effects

even your desktop picture can hog cpu power

or all of the above

let me guess your running windows 10 on a windows 7 rated machine right? well thats your first mistake yes it will run windows 10 but mostly these CPU's were designed to suit a lesser OS like windows 7 basically because windows 10 zaps CPU power from idle

as my above post suggests you can do many many many things before even a need to go out and splash on new gear but thats up to you! "stupid people will always be stupid just let them get on with it" my mum used to say and thats what i plan on doing if all you describe is stuttering.

2 very simpleton things.......... 

first things first, list temp.......

2nd thing check your bottleneck  http://www.game-debate.com/can-I-run/?EA.......

dont take anyones word for anything always know! most people with an intel dont have the first clue about an amd or there own CPU for that matter its honestly like the blind leading the blind in each and every post like this

as far as i can see your CPU scores 9/10, for this game

GPU 4/10,

ram if its 8 gbs like 5/10

if its running window 10 take 1/3rd off the figures. unless your amd is the new ryzen or an intel which it aint

so ignore the person who even suggest CPU as a fault this is just wrong and clearly they know nothing christ my amd A10 6800k used to run this game spot on and that was a quad core older than what you have now

now if you have a gigbyte board mainly the UD3 its time to buy a new board as the bios in these are just shoddy and badly wrote to throttle even under normal conditions. jheeze ima quit while ima head tbh GL

The 1060 alone will make a gigantic difference, there is no need to upgrade your cpu for this game, however, if you start playing at 1080p with OR+ ENB + crapload of mods/replacers, expect your fps to quicky dip into the 30/40's (even lower if you use Snus Dungeons for example, inside certain caves you might even get less than 20 fps), this game is just terribly unoptimized.

And as it has already been stated many times in this thread, Oblivion uses 1 or 2 cores (some sources claim 2, but can't confirm), therefore a CPU with high per-core performance is better suited for Oblivion & even Skyrim (pretty much the same engine).

Actually the upgrade was overall good (the game runs smoother at 1080p) yet performance was a bit dissapointing. A cooling solution is not an option since even a massive OC won't help that much. The game runs with every single fps-killing mod out there (except for Better Cities) so at best, it got me like 15 fps more or so when playing in crowded cells. Other games run just fine so I guess the money I threw on it worth it.

I wish upgrading my CPU wasn't that expensive, bc then I need to get a new MoBo and DDR4 ram... and a SSD. My wallet is yelling at me so I'm going to leave it like this for a year or so.

"Other games run just fine so I guess the money I threw on it worth it"

like others have said oblivion was badly optimised for anything but a DC, i had to wait months on the games first release due to the stuttering which you are getting. it was not my PC on any occasion as i too worked fine on other games. im sure the memory patches helped the situation at the time. game played great just every 5 min there was a CPU memory leakage which throttled the game locked my cpu to 0% usage and ram also. now seen as how yours is an even newer CPU than the Quad that i was running at the time the chances of the company or anyone been able to help you on a dead and almost buried game like a new patch for your CPU that optimised the game memory for it are about slim to none.

you do not need a new CPU ryzen is very new on the scene and even newer on the scene to ddr4, intel hav had it for years and most games are optimised for intels due to this. just be patient and wait there is about as much need to OC the cpu for this game as none. it should could and would run fine. but its just badly optimised for the game. this is a prime example of a company favouring an xbox, ps3 or anything else as the monitory value wouldnt be worth updating for the sake of a few pissed off pc users. shit happens dont support consoles! skyrim HD runs great any fps and res and i receive no cpu lockups or memory leaks what so ever. remember not many people bought into amd at the time of this games release so shit happens! may i say also it wasnt the first game in them years that i wasted my hard earned $$$$ for a no good buggy game i could also name a few racing games at the time

why dont gta 5 release a new patch for windows 10, you tell me! the player base and modding scene are great on the pc but yet we have to wait for gta 6 for a windows 10 version. great i love games company's these days they make so much sense. they aint interested in the few only the many

​when you buy and run amd you need to inturn go for amd optimised software much like games to limit issues and improve performances. like multi threaded apps like blender or games like DOTA i think, dont ever expect an nivida game to run great. if its an ati game the fps and performance differences can be night and day between the 2. your also mixing nivida with amd which isnt your best bet but i too understand your reasons for doing so as most are optimised for nivida like 90%. as a modder thou you can optimise stuff to suit your needs. which was my whole reason for getting into the modding scene in the first place to improve my performances on imges the game uses i can thus choose to optimise games for ether nivida or ati depending on the overall card i select at the time of buying but issues are still marginal at best maybe its my skills at time of writing that are not great or software i use to encode for ati just isnt upto scratch yet amd/ati is still getting to grips on cards and such. why would you want a great mutli threaded CPU then limit it by playing single core optimised games ill never know but hey ho your choice

​when you say " ive OC my cpu" have you increased the freq of the CPU  or did you just up the multiplier? to say 22x which inturn ups the amount of rotations to the CPU thus increasing freq. i would try upping the actual freq and not the rotations but you seem well out of your depth atm much reading is needed 90% of throttling issues with this fx line of CPU's is badly optimised bios's

heres a post you should consider reading then make your own judgements but that would depend on your meaning of stuttering  :P

I used the "OC genie" mode in my MoBo. This is the highest risk I'm willing to take, doing a manual overclocking having the stock heatsink is not an option right now. I have no idea if the mode only changes que multiplier or the native freq. Also my PSU is not a good one and any voltage increase may put it to rest. I'm going to take a look at the BIOS when my enslaving job allows me to do so.

Guest Virginia_

i did mine by fixing memory leak on my laptop and set permanent priority csrss.exe,explorer.exe to normal ( this fix also high temp ) gud luck!

I used the "OC genie" mode in my MoBo. This is the highest risk I'm willing to take, doing a manual overclocking having the stock heatsink is not an option right now. I have no idea if the mode only changes que multiplier or the native freq. Also my PSU is not a good one and any voltage increase may put it to rest. I'm going to take a look at the BIOS when my enslaving job allows me to do so.

ye dont bother if your running stock , the OC genie should be good enough but like i said you shouldn't even need to be venturing anywhere near that with this CPU. PSU yep your right dont bother if its an older PSU under 50a wont cut the mustard when it comes to powering it and would most likly fail, surge then take your CPU out along with it.

the "OC genie mode" just increases the freq multi im guessing which inturn increases rotations to the CPU. both ways are an acceptable OC but you get more control ,than actually upping the multi. lets say you increase the multi. well your not actually uping the freq you basically adding another cpu it would be like adding another core to your 6 core cpu in a sense. quick bit of math

200mhz x 22 =4.4ghz or 4400mhz, 200mhz x 23 = 4.6ghz or 4600mhz

doing it the other way you can get the bits in-between leave the multi and increase the mhz by 1 mhz per time.

so 201mhz x 22  = 4.422 ghz or 4422mhz , 202mhz x 22 = 4.444ghz or 4444mhz

please for the love of god check your PSU. if it powers off fully then reboots during start up then doing anything in the bios you would have to fully power down and manual reset the bios using cmos pin. if it doesnt power off fully you should be ok without. what happens is when your PC first boots up it would give extra volts than is needed if you are giving it more already and it fully powers off then reboots you could blow a CPU this way due to the increased volts. but anyhow shouldnt need to touch it but handy to know

Archived