Ranking of ENBs in performance requirements and what they offer

Hey guys,

I currently am using Poupurris ENB Morning Star Edition v.292 on my 4 year old PC. It usually runs smooth when I run Skyrim alone, but after playing for an hour or so, my Skyrim begins to stuttter.

So, before I inevitably upgrade my hardware, I would like to have a little oversight about which ENBs are out there, what performance they require, what they offer so I can fiddle a bit with software before moving to the costly hardware.

For reference, my PC specs are

Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @3,40 GHz

8 GB RAM

2 GB GPU

I also may simply want to swap my ENB as I think Morning Star gives my character too much of a red skin hue from the light from my red hair.

Toss em at me!

Kind regards,

Stahlvormund101

'2GB GPU' is neither here nor there, tells us nothing about the GPU performance. Usually the GPU core is pretty important to figuring out what it can actually do, as even some bottom feeder GPUs have 2GB of memory.

Anyway, I run a heavily modified White Orchard ENB profile on 0.308, and it has served me well. I detuned the colours to give a more natural feel, and I play at 2560x1600 with everything maxed out but without DOF, and I also disable reflection and SSS when outdoors. For visuals I use the TCF high resolution pack, Skyrim Flora Overhaul, Climates of Tamriel and the SMIM mod. I get a consistent, stutter-free 50FPS outdoors and 60 (capped) indoors.

Hardware-wise I have 2x GTX770 in SLI and a i5 6600k with 16GB of memory, and my monitor is a colour-calibrated Dell 3008WFP. Almost every ENB I tried has some colour issues, mostly due to colour casts on the creators' monitors, or personal preference. Getting the right skin tone will need experimentation (you can do this from enbeffect in the ENB control panel).

'2GB GPU' is neither here nor there, tells us nothing about the GPU performance. Usually the GPU core is pretty important to figuring out what it can actually do, as even some bottom feeder GPUs have 2GB of memory.

Anyway, I run a heavily modified White Orchard ENB profile on 0.308, and it has served me well. I detuned the colours to give a more natural feel, and I play at 2560x1600 with everything maxed out but without DOF, and I also disable reflection and SSS when outdoors. For visuals I use the TCF high resolution pack, Skyrim Flora Overhaul, Climates of Tamriel and the SMIM mod. I get a consistent, stutter-free 50FPS outdoors and 60 (capped) indoors.

Hardware-wise I have 2x GTX770 in SLI and a i5 6600k with 16GB of memory, and my monitor is a colour-calibrated Dell 3008WFP. Almost every ENB I tried has some colour issues, mostly due to colour casts on the creators' monitors, or personal preference. Getting the right skin tone will need experimentation (you can do this from enbeffect in the ENB control panel).

Thanks for your reply!

I dont have the exact GPU model name at hand as I bough the PC years ago, but Device Manager gives "AMD HD 7900 Series" and afaik it was a Saphire brand or something along the lines.

I'm quoting this directly from Skyrim Ultimate Modding Guide - Graphics. Scroll almost all the way near the bottom where he talks about ENBs. These are the ones he suggested that hardly or don't affect your FPS.

DarkLight ENB ==FPS== close to zero or zero FPS loss.
Not really well-known, but great and criminally underrated preset. From all the presets that support latest binaries I ever used it has the best performance. It gave me really zero FPS loss. This preset will be a great for those who don't have a lot of "free" FPS for ENB to use.
Weather mods compatibility: COT, VW.
Lighting mods compatibility: ELFX.

LuciEN ENB
Middle-realistic fantasy preset for the author of previous one. It has pretty good performance and about 20 very original custom weathers.
Weather mods compatibility: none. Don't use any weather mods.
Lighting mods compatibility: ELFX, ELE Lite.

SOUL ENB
New and awesome ENB preset, sharp and with great visuals. It's also pretty performance-friendly for most of the modern rig and the most awesome feature is that it's compatible with ALL weather and lighting mods. Try it for sure!
Weather mods compatibility: ALL WEATHER MODS.
Lighting mods compatibility: ALL LIGHTING MODS.

Dark and Tender ENB ==FPS== close to zero or zero FPS loss.
Dark and pretty desaturated ENB preset. Note: it uses .236 binaries that are really old, but I've included it to the list as it gives really zero performance loss at modern rigs and has good visuals andpretty original view on the other hand.
This one can be a good option for those who are not able to run modern presets and also want some dark views.

Hope this helps. Good luck! xoxo

I installed this ENB in my potato laptop with this and this, I regret nothing  :P 

Well, the Stutter Fix .dll conflicts with my current ENB .dll so I cannot use both.

Skyrim Stuttering Fix (Smooth Gameplay)

Rename the DLL Skyrim Stuttering Fix to "d3d9FL.dll" and edit your enbseries.ini:

[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=true

InitProxyFunctions=true

ProxyLibrary=d3d9FL.dll

just curious, how "potato" is your laptop. i want to compare it with my toaster pC

CPU AMD A4 2.6GB, 8RAM, GPU RADEON R7 2GB

Without ENB 46-53fps, with ENB 40-48fps

but my desktop pc is another story...

Have a nice day ^_^

I installed this ENB in my potato laptop with this and this, I regret nothing  :P 

Well, the Stutter Fix .dll conflicts with my current ENB .dll so I cannot use both.

Skyrim Stuttering Fix (Smooth Gameplay)

Rename the DLL Skyrim Stuttering Fix to "d3d9FL.dll" and edit your enbseries.ini:

[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=true

InitProxyFunctions=true

ProxyLibrary=d3d9FL.dll

God, I feel so **** now. I read that in the mod description but somehow forgot it right away.

I'm quoting this directly from Skyrim Ultimate Modding Guide - Graphics. Scroll almost all the way near the bottom where he talks about ENBs. These are the ones he suggested that hardly or don't affect your FPS.

DarkLight ENB ==FPS== close to zero or zero FPS loss.

Not really well-known, but great and criminally underrated preset. From all the presets that support latest binaries I ever used it has the best performance. It gave me really zero FPS loss. This preset will be a great for those who don't have a lot of "free" FPS for ENB to use.

Weather mods compatibility: COT, VW.

LuciEN ENB

Middle-realistic fantasy preset for the author of previous one. It has pretty good performance and about 20 very original custom weathers.

Lighting mods compatibility: ELFX, ELE Lite.

SOUL ENB

New and awesome ENB preset, sharp and with great visuals. It's also pretty performance-friendly for most of the modern rig and the most awesome feature is that it's compatible with ALL weather and lighting mods. Try it for sure!

Weather mods compatibility: ALL WEATHER MODS.

Lighting mods compatibility: ALL LIGHTING MODS.

Dark and Tender ENB ==FPS== close to zero or zero FPS loss.

Dark and pretty desaturated ENB preset. Note: it uses .236 binaries that are really old, but I've included it to the list as it gives really zero performance loss at modern rigs and has good visuals andpretty original view on the other hand.

This one can be a good option for those who are not able to run modern presets and also want some dark views.

Hope this helps. Good luck! xoxo

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I will try them out for sure!

Hmm... I way too lazy to look up more ENB's so it's nice to see a list like this:D

Last time I used an ENB for any time at all was Cinemascope, which basically doesn't hit FPS at all, but it's ancient and has a couple of (optional) mods included that are probably best to avoid in a modern Skyrim. Looks like there's a more recent version made by a new author which fixes some of the problems, but it doesn't work with any lighting mod so it might not be for everyone. 

If the default enb (with the base download) already lags my computer with graphics turned on, would switching to something like DarkLight ENB also lag my computer?

My 'setup' is simply a MacBook Air and bootcamp.

Skyrim is running pretty decently with a whole bunch of mods.

The fixes didnt remove all of my stutter problems, but the game is definetly noticably more smooth and loads cells faster now even with my current ENB.

Great many thanks to you! :blush:

Yay! Another tip: If you want a smooth, permanent blur (detph of field) and almost unnoticeable impact to the FPS, you have to tweak this values in enbeffectprepass.fx:

float fFocusBias = 0.001; // bigger values for nearsightedness, smaller for farsightedness (lens focal point distance)
float fApertureScale = 0.001; // governs image blur scale (the bigger value, the stronger blur)
float fApertureCutoff = 0.24; // manages the smoothness of the DoF (bigger value results in wider depth of field)
float fApertureBias = 0.160; // distance not taken into account in DoF (try out sub-zero values ;))

This values make a permanent blur effect (depth of field) in my game to hide the background imperfections, and looks cool!  :D

Another useful tool

Archived