(WIP) Frost Elves - a custom fantasy race - by Trykz

Well, I decided this simply couldn't remain hidden any longer, so here's what I have at this point:

FrostElf001a.jpg

FrostElf002a.jpg

And some much bigger shots so you can see more detail (hopefully):

FrostElf001.jpg

FrostElf002.jpg

I'm currently working on a frost effect that makes the skin lightly glisten in the evening/night, as well as a full compliment of frost/ice related spells/abilities. Every skintone/hair color is custom, ranging from a light bluish hue, to darker blue/green shades. They utilize the Moonshadow Elves ears (because Skyrim elf ears suck :P) And this race will have a male variant as well.

Needless to say, this race will be meant to play on the upper difficulty levels, because you'll assrape anything lower than adept :P

They're primarily a magic oriented race, but could certainly make formidable warriors/rogues if you prefer. My goal is to have this one ready to go by the weekend, and it's pretty much right on track for a Friday evening release at the moment.

I'll get more pics up once I have the skin effect fully implemented.

Trykz

The following shots needed to be at my full res to see in great detail, the frost effect the race receives between the hours of 7pm and 5am gametime:

FrostElfFE001.jpg

FrostElfFE002.jpg

The overall effect is the racial that grants around the clock immunity to frost, and a 25% resistance to magic (same as Bretons get). The frost effect ONLY applies to the character skin, and NOT the armor that's being worn, between the above mentioned game hours (so it doesn't intrude upon highly detailed clothing/armor). This effect is quite a bit different from the Moonshadow Blossom effect, because it applies at character creation automatically, without the need for secondary application measures afterward (like potions or spellbooks).

I'm working up the presets for males and females tonight and tomorrow, after which I'll get some shots of the males up for you to check out. Then it's just a matter of a couple of testing days to make sure everything works right.

Trykz

Looks interesting. Especially the frost effect since I think races should have unique abilities. Which body type will it support by the way?

This race will be packaged with the UNPB-BBP body (so the CHSBHC skeleton files will be needed), and Ran's type-D headmesh. But as with all of my races, the body can easily be swapped out for the user's preference. And since the ears are an additional headpart, the head can be swapped out as well.

I have some errands to tend to this morning, and then I'll be working on presets the rest of the day. I'll see about getting pics up later this evening.

Trykz

Presets finished.... finally :P

This is what I ended up with after just a few moments of tweaking in the racemenu (warning: big pics ahead):

FrostElf003.jpg

FrostElf003a.jpg

Both female AND males have the typical 10 presets. I'll get a shot of a customized male up later today, after I get some male customization mods (I don't play males very often, so don't have very much for them LOL)

The racial power:

FrostElf003b.jpg

Its a 24dps whirlwind frost effect called Frost Cloak of the Ancients. Usable once per day.

The default packaged body is UNPB with BBP. So a compatible skeleton will be required. After a bit of thought, I decided I'm no longer going to package skeletons or behaviors with my mods, as it deprives the modders who created those files of the download count and potential endorsements.

Anyhoo, I have a little more testing to do, and then some final tweaks and touch-up before Friday.

Trykz

A bit of criticism based on my own conclusions regarding elder scrolls lore, your mod your choice to heed this or ignore it but here it is. The name Frost elves implies that like the Nords and the Ancestors of the Falmer, this race should be tall(this they look to be) and FAIR which they are not your frost elves are even darker that the vanilla dark elves. your mod your choice but in my opinion you should A: lighten their skin tone to a shade somewhere between that of the falmer and the dunmer. B: change the name. I say all this because from everything I've seen lore-wise a race of elves that dark would have been known as dusk elves or something similar. Again your mod your shoice to dismiss or heed as you will :P just thought id put in my 2 cents.

A bit of criticism based on my own conclusions regarding elder scrolls lore' date=' your mod your choice to heed this or ignore it but here it is. The name Frost elves implies that like the Nords and the Ancestors of the Falmer, this race should be tall(this they look to be) and [u']FAIR[/u] which they are not your frost elves are even darker that the vanilla dark elves. your mod your choice but in my opinion you should A: lighten their skin tone to a shade somewhere between that of the falmer and the dunmer. B: change the name. I say all this because from everything I've seen lore-wise a race of elves that dark would have been known as dusk elves or something similar. Again your mod your shoice to dismiss or heed as you will :P just thought id put in my 2 cents.

If you're going to offer "criticism", you should start by leaving your "opinion" out of it.

But whatever gave you the impression that I give 2 shits about lore? I don't heed shit. I build what I want, and what I'm reasonably certain a vast amount of players will enjoy (and I haven't been wrong yet according to my MediaFire download counter). NOT what "lore" supposedly dictates.

My mods are meant to add variety and spice to the dull as plain toast vanilla game after the first playthrough, when many just shelf it and never play again. According to lore, no race ever fucked dogs or tentacle monsters either :P

That lore-hound shit belongs at Nexus, not here.

Trykz

Will it be possible to make an character have a very white skin and/or white hair?

But whatever gave you the impression that I give 2 shits about lore? I don't heed shit. I build what I want, and what I'm reasonably certain a vast amount of players will enjoy (and I haven't been wrong yet according to my MediaFire download counter). NOT what "lore" supposedly dictates.

Well every lore I have seen depicts succubi as beautiful, and your succubus race was certainly beautiful.

But that might just be a coincidence :D

Will it be possible to make an character have a very white skin and/or white hair?

But whatever gave you the impression that I give 2 shits about lore? I don't heed shit. I build what I want' date=' and what I'm reasonably certain a vast amount of players will enjoy (and I haven't been wrong yet according to my MediaFire download counter). NOT what "lore" supposedly dictates.

[/quote']

Well every lore I have seen depicts succubi as beautiful, and your succubus race was certainly beautiful.

Pure coincidence, I assure you :P

But yes, I left all of the vanilla skintone colors intact. I'm thinking I'll likely add the base white and corpse colors as well, since those are a few shades lighter than the standard human female whites. You guys should know by now, that I'm all about variety and options..... my primary goal with every race mod I make is that you be able to give your character that "special look" that you prefer.

And speaking of options (and because I haven't mentioned it yet), I'm also including the stuff you need to use the CBBEv3 body if you prefer. In the race folders will be all of the body files you'll need for either UNP (default package) OR CBBEv3, both fully BBP supported. So there's no need to get anything extra.

If you want to use CHSBHC, you'll just need Cherry's body meshes (which you'll need to rename to match what I used) and associated files (which you'll likely already have installed), but the CBBE texture set I'm including should work fine over those meshes. The headmesh is the usual Ran's Type-D that I always use, but modified to call on the races' head textures to eliminate shading issues between the head and body (so no seams).

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, here's my final statement on the issue of "lore":

FrostElf003c.jpg

Trykz

I'd imagine Falmer looked like that before they turned into goblins :D

Needless to say' date=' this race will be meant to play on the upper difficulty levels, because you'll assrape anything lower than adept :P

[/quote']

Since i've started to use ASIS with ACE and the monster mod there's plenty of things in my game that need exactly that :P

I was going to let you just be surprised, but this couldn't wait. This is Preset01. This is the very first thing you see when you select this race:

FEPreset01.jpg

Yes, I shamelessly jacked the save file from this kit, and imported the face to Preset #1, fiddled with the customizations for literally 1 minute, kitted her out and was playing moments later :dodgy:

rosette did a spectacular job of duplicating this character, so props to her. Don't forget to stop by that thread and say thanks ;)

Trykz

This race will probably finally make me roll a caster type character. One quick question though, is this race going to be the "standard/vanilla" height or will I have to go fiddle with some ini camera settings to align 3rd person cross hairs?

This race will probably finally make me roll a caster type character. One quick question though' date=' is this race going to be the "standard/vanilla" height or will I have to go fiddle with some ini camera settings to align 3rd person cross hairs?

[/quote']

They're the same scale as Breton females (.9500), so you shouldn't have to adjust the camera at all.

Generally speaking, any scale below 0.9000 starts to throw the camera off substantially (vanilla children are scaled at 0.8000), especially when combined with other height determining factors, such as the character skeleton. The vanilla height scale is set to 1.0000. So the Breton male is scale 1.0000 (Breton female is 0.9500), and Nords (male and female) are slightly taller at 1.0300. The camera works on a three factor basis:

camera position - character position - cross-hair position

in a V pattern (from 0.9000 to 1.1000). When you adjust character height, the camera can cover any angle within the width of the top of the V. Change the width of the top too much either way, and you start having cross-hair issues.

So basically, if you're character height is 0.9500, and you use a skeleton that shortens your character by half a head, you're right at the bottom of the camera's V. A full head, and your camera is off and requires .ini adjustments to put it back into the proper range.

Which I why I can never play those small races. Too much bullshit to change for me. As much as I hop around between playtesting different race mods, I'd need a dozen copies of my .ini to swap in and out multiple times a day :P

The Dovahteen races I'm working on are right at the bottom of the camera scale. Which is why I very carefully selected their skeleton before adjusting their height. So they won't need any .ini camera adjustments, and can be played along-side the other races without issues.

Trykz

Thanks guys.....

and just so there can be no doubts, this is what you will actually see when you select the race (all I changed was the hairstyle and color):

FrostElfCC.jpg

Trykz

First: the above combined with the fact that your valkr race DOES have a place in the lore being that you made them anti vampire lord is more than enough to make low intellect people like myself think that you DO give a shit about lore, my mistake.

Second : I don't feel that i was rude or insulting or that i deserved the response I received, I acknowledged the effort you put in and the fact that your choices are the only ones that matter and you cursed at me. Why put a sample of your work that consist of only a few pictures, which makes it impossible to render any feedback that ISN'T an opinion, if your just going to curse at people who don't shower you with praise. I love what I have seen of your valkry, and im sure that a modder of your skill can make a race that looks like rotten hamburger be a joy to play, but if your just going to curse at people that give you honest feedback, then we all might as well just lurk and mooch.

Well every lore I have seen depicts succubi as beautiful' date=' and your succubus race was certainly beautiful.

[/quote']

First: the above combined with the fact that your valkr race DOES have a place in the lore being that you made them anti vampire lord is more than enough to make low intellect people like myself think that you DO give a shit about lore, my mistake.

Second : I don't feel that i was rude or insulting or that i deserved the response I received, I acknowledged the effort you put in and the fact that your choices are the only ones that matter and you cursed at me. Why put a sample of your work that consist of only a few pictures, which makes it impossible to render any feedback that ISN'T an opinion, if your just going to curse at people who don't shower you with praise. I love what I have seen of your valkry, and im sure that a modder of your skill can make a race that looks like rotten hamburger be a joy to play, but if your just going to curse at people that give you honest feedback, then we all might as well just lurk and mooch.

Your "opinion" from a "lore perspective" is the issue.

That isn't "feedback", it's your opinion based upon a non-essential criteria that matters to you, so cannot be taken as anything other than insulting. Not everyone cares for the lore. They care about the fun and variety. Which is EXACTLY WHY I do this.

And then, to further compound the issue, your choice of words such as "heed", only make matters worse. Like it's some sort of warning that no one will use the mod if I don't make these changes that you consider "urgently required" on the basis of lore. Again, that isn't feedback, or even remotely constructive. It's PURE opinion.

Finally, anyone who has been playing the game for any length of time (long enough to go hunting around for mods), knows fairly well that the solution to satisfying your skin tone color concern, is easily remedied by simply using the Extended Sliders Colors mod from Nexus.

But my "straight forward" attitude has nothing to do with anything. That's just me, and how I am. It's all I know. Deal with it.

Trykz

Alright, I have a few things left to touch up in the morning, but I may have to wait to release it until Saturday morning.....

Tomorrow is a very "special" day, and my youngest son is getting married. So I'll likely be too trashed to package the mod up properly tomorrow night. So I'd rather wait the extra half-day, then hand you guys a busted mod, only to pass out drunk in the process. But I may stop in and post some likely illegible gibberish that only I can read and understand :P

However, I should be good when I get up Saturday morning (and probably pour a Blood-Mary to settle my huge head LOL), so you should find it in my release thread in the downloads section by noon at the latest. So keep a watchful eye around then. It's been a long day and I'm too dead on my ass to do anything tonight.....

Trykz o/