New Vegas Orphanage

Ok' date=' I need help. I'm using the Casa Madrid Apartments in westside as my base to build from. Problem is, I can't edit the interior because I can't freaking SEE it. I duplicated the Madrid interior, renamed the duplicate, and tried to load it in the render window. I can see the various markers for NPCs and such, but the architecture won't show. Out of curiosity I checked the original and The Gray in North Vegas Square (similar type of building). None of them will show up, just NPCs hovering in empty grey space. What gives?

[/quote']

I get a lot of warnings from geck powerup about missing textures, missing animations, and so on, when I try to bring up the Casa Madrid interior.

If I had time, I would make a list of them.

And then when I get in there, I realize that if I ever knew how to control the camera properly in an interior that I have forgotten that.

So I would have to do some studying before I could say anything useful...

Complete rewrite up in the OP with a slight change in concept. Check it :P

A little far north-west from bonnie-springs lays farm-ruins and a pond. Nice quiet place. There's a number of bighorners (what can be converted to "green")' date=' and nasty mantises can be moved somewhere (or [i']removed[/i]).

I know, aWoP adds some house there with no actors outside, so interference seems minimal.

Bonniesprings Vipers seems more in-game than that ~abandoned location. More of that, at higher level BS is occupied with Cazadores - personaly watched them @L32.

I always liked the shootout at Bonnie Springs - proper western stuff :P

Maybe you can tie that in with what you're doing? What was always missing from that was a sense of why they're there. What do outlaw gangs do in westerns? Terrorize the locals is what. Nobody does anything until a lone drifter comes along...

You could have a kid running up to the player as they're appraoching Bonnie Springs, asking for help to get rid of those hoodlums because they're planning on grabbing the kids & selling 'em to Caesar or something. Which could serve as the pc's introduction to the orphanage's existence too.

Hope that makes sense.

That is an awesome idea Doc. Just sounds a little ambitious for my abilities.

Looks like I'm scouting for another location.

No pressure - just a thought :)

What about in Freeside itself? Say' date=' the unused buildings across the street from Old Mormon Fort?

[/quote']

Could work. There are already a few kids running around Freeside as it is, which can help sell the idea of kids being around. I'm also reasonably sure those buildings aren't used in NVInteriors or Awop, so that's a plus. And they're close to the Followers, so... seems kind of natural.

My only concern using anything in Freeside is big Strip/Freeside revamps like NVR/NVFR and Open Strip/Open Freeside. How hard is it to make a new location compatible with those?

Hm. Open Freeside, from its Nexus page, claims that anything affecting Freeside North will conflict, which is where you wanna be. Open Strip & NVR should be safe, no idea about NVFR.

In which case you can either make separate versions, depending on whether ppl have those things loaded or not, or move elsewhere. In case all you really need to do is plunk in a door to an interior cell, it should be doable to have a main version & some patches for those mods. You add OFS or whatever else as a master to that particular version, load up the cell, place your door. But if you plan to clean up the exterior, or put up a sign or some such, it's probably not worth the trouble.

In case you'd rather look elsewhere, how about a new cell that you get to via the Mormon Fort itself? (Not much of a fort, just a big square as it is, could do with a subterranean level.) Or maybe rethink having something in or near Westside, since there's a Followers presence too? Doesn't have to be Casa Madrid - quite a few abandoned buildings taking up space south of WS.

Always the same with real estate: location, location, location. :rolleyes:

My two biggest concerns regarding location are vanilla quests and popular mods. I can't worry about EVERY mod, that's just not possible. But major ones like awop, warzones, fook, etc I need to avoid messing up. Hmmm.

I was thinking the cell would be the easy part. I guess I should just start working on the other stuff until I can figure out a location. Crap.

I just had an Epiphany. ("Cap'n! Cap'n! I just had an apostrophe!!" "Its called an Epiphany you twit." "It was like a bolt of lightning flashed into my brain." "That must have hurt..." anyway, enough Hook quotes...)

I got annoyed that the building I wanted to use wasn't working, scrapped the whole thing (not that I had gotten all that far) and tried to start all new.

The BUILDING wasn't working.

The LOCATION was fine.

Time to scrape my forehead off the desk and get back to work...

So I'm having a weird problem and can't figure out how to fix it. Every Door Portal I try to set up linking cells is sideways. When going into buildings from an exterior cell I show up sideways on the wrong side of the door and fall into empty space, eventually teleporting to the middle of the room/building. Leaving interior cells for exterior ones I end up trapped inside the shell of the building and have to tcl out. Help?

Guest user29

if you're worried about another mod messing up your mod, it's not at all hard to make an optional download patch that will place the door in a location that doesn't conflict.

It lines up where I want it if that's what you mean. Just sideways.

Maybe you ought to turn the marker around? From what I can remember from Oblivion, there ought to be a little pyramid-like thingie on the marker showing where it points to (& where your pc will end up looking if you transport in).

Never was any good at world building. Maybe this helps:

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php/Door_Markers_-_Connecting_One_or_More_Doors_Between_Cells

if you're worried about another mod messing up your mod' date=' it's not at all hard to make an optional download patch that will place the door in a location that doesn't conflict.

[/quote']

I *think* I've found a spot that shouldn't conflict with anything. I'm going to try everyones suggestions for fixing my door markers, then I'll upload what I have so far in the OP.

Ok, the OP has my latest results of worldbuilding. The interiors are completely empty so far. Ignore the door straight across from the main entrance, thats going to be the portal to the second floor, when there is one ;)

I managed to rotate the portals so you're at least facing the right way when you come through them, but I still can't get them to move.

Guest user29

If you have questions, I'll answer them to the best of my abilities. I like, just taught myself how to do what you're doing like 2 weeks ago so I know what you're going through.

Is there a problem with the doors?

If you have questions' date=' I'll answer them to the best of my abilities. I like, just taught myself how to do what you're doing like 2 weeks ago so I know what you're going through.

Is there a problem with the doors?

[/quote']

Looking at other doors, I see the portal is moved a short distance away from them. How do I do that? On all of my doors the portal is in the middle of the door. When I try to use them in-game I'm facing the right direction, but I'm trapped in the door mesh and have to tcl out. I want to figure this out before I try building the other floors, so I can actually access them.

Looking at other doors' date=' I see the portal is moved a short distance away from them. How do I do that? On all of my doors the portal is in the middle of the door. When I try to use them in-game I'm facing the right direction, but I'm trapped in the door mesh and have to tcl out. I want to figure this out before I try building the other floors, so I can actually access them.

[/quote']

Select the marker, then drag? Or select it, and drag, holding down x or y?

Maybe this'll help:

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php/Render_Window

I like the idea' date=' I have always thought children are handled very badly in FNV, and just Fallout in general (excluding the first and second obviously)

I don't know, I just get the feeling children are neglected. In any case, this is a good approach to address that. Obviously, the first things necessary to make this idea more than just an idea would be:

- A cell.

- A building of some sort, like a creche.

- A take/deposit a child here system.

- Some way to abuse that system, ie steal children, etc.

But in concept, a very good idea, and one that I fully endorse.

[/quote']

Well, I have the cell and the (empty) building for the most part. At least, the first floor. A few doors don't work and theres a big blank spot in the ceiling from the original building it was copied from (The Basincreek Building) but the framework is there.

Now for the tricky bits:

- A system of giving up children or choosing children for adoption. Is there a system in-game I can pirate for that or do I need to make one from scratch? Would a modified slavery system of some kind work?

- Some way to abuse the system. I kinda have an idea for that but I'm not sure how I'm going to implement it. Its going to be a good cop/bad cop type routine with the facility directors. There will be two of them, like a Boys and Girls Dean or some such. One will be the good one who handles adoptions appropriately, the other will be a greedy type susceptible to bribes. Not sure which one Mr. Wellenkampf will be, but going by how I wrote the intro and Arcades reaction to him he'll probably be the bad one. (I totally wrote that off the cuff and didn't know how it was going to go til it was on screen. That's just how I roll.)

We're now getting into undiscovered country for me, so its gonna be slow going until I can figure things out. Assistance, suggestions, and general feedback are still all welcome. And a HUGE thanks to DoctaSax, User29, and everyone else who's helped me thus far.