New Vegas Orphanage

-An interlude on the road, just days after the events of the first battle of Hoover Dam-

[justify]Julie Farkas saw many problems, as she traveled with her people to the bright lights of New Vegas and the strip. People of all walks of life needed help in every imaginable way. But what really broke her heart were the children.

In every settlement they passed, whether it be a small villiage like Goodsprings, a mining camp like Sloan, or something larger and trying to grow like Primm, in all of them she saw the little face of the ones left behind.

Unsafe conditions. Colapsing ruins people considered home. The depredations of raiders and Legion terrorists and random wanderers gone on Jet or the many other substances of the wastes. Someone had to stand against these hazards, and sometimes those who took a stand took a fall, leaving children behind.

"She turned to her personal assistant and good friend Arcade Gannon and said "Arcade, we must do something."

"I agree", replied Arcade. "Indeed, by our very presence here we ARE doing something. But I feel you have more than that troubling you."

"Did you see that little girl back in Sloan?" Julie asked. "The one with the pet molerat, Snuffles?"

"Melissa? Yes, I did. She looked to be quite a handful. Good thing she's almost old enough to go make her own mark and leave her dad what scraps of sanity remain."

"Yes, Arcade. Go make her mark. But where? Growing up with roughnecks, a father too preoccupied to provide her support, and no mother in the picture, where will she go? The Khans? The Scorpions or Vipers? God forbid, the Fiends?"

"I don't know, Julie" Arcade says softly, taking her hand.

They continued to New Vegas. During the rest of the trip, Julie was very pensive and didn't speak to her team much.

Once they arrive in Freeside, thoughts of children and other concerns are put by the wayside in the course of establishing Old Mormon Fort as their base of operations in the area. But Julie had not forgotten.

After completing setup at Old Mormon Fort Julie, Arcade, and a team of mercs accompanied Dr. Usanagi's group to establish the New Vegas Medical Clinic. Julie and Arcade went to investigate a relatively intact compound near Usanagi's chosen base.

The building was in surprisingly good condition, with a walled courtyard and a small separate cafeteria building behind. There was the usual urban graffiti and detritus of squatters but nothing irreperable. Julie turned to Arcade with a gleam in her eye.

"Uh oh," said Arcade. "I know that look. I'm not gonna like the next words to come out of your mouth much, am I?"

"Look around you Arcade" she replied. "Think of the potential of this building. Think of the children!"

He looks skeptical. "You know I don't work well with children. Well, not with anyone really. But especially kids."

She laughs. "Don't worry my friend, you arent going to run it, just set it up. You know Mr. Wellenkampf isn't very organised."

"You're going to put HIM in charge?" Arcade sounded shocked.

"He is good with kids," she replies with a shrug...[/justify]

A lot of people add mods like Sexout to their game just because they like sex. Which is fine. Hey, I like sex too.

But there are also gamers who do it because it doesn't make sense not to. New Vegas is a game about the fringe. The lawless frontier. Violence, drug use, theft, slavery, all of these things are part of wasteland life, so why not sex and its consequences? But there is another consequence of all this sex and violence that isn't commonly addressed, and I aim to fix that.

What consequence is that, you may ask? Children. Sex leads to children. Violence leads to children without parents. Drug use leads to children with parents who just want rid of them. The logical next step is an orphanage for those orphaned/unwanted children.

What I aim to do is create a new location, and a new faction. The faction will be a splinter group of the Followers of the Apocalypse known as the Children of the Apocalypse. The new location will be the New Vegas Orphanage & Family Planning Center. Here orphaned and unwanted children can be left, and people can receive STD treatments, fertility treatments, abortions, and other sex and childbearing related services. I originally wanted to add a new building across from the New Vegas Medical Clinic, and tie this into sexout with the sex doctor and other services. Instead I went catercorner, making the two facilities a medical square of sorts.

Any thoughts?

Note: This is totally in concept phase right now. I need to do a lot of learning in the GECK before this makes any progress. I need to figure out how to add the building I want to use, where to add the building so it doesn't conflict, how to add a faction, how to make quests...the list is long. All help/suggestions/criticisms are welcome.

I like the idea. I think there ought to be some quests related to this faction, like maybe going out to find some orphan's presumed-dead parents but maybe the parents were only enslaved by the Legion or something. On the flip side, if you're evil, your character should have the option to kidnap and enslave some of the more grown-up children (teens) in the orphanage. Like, a percentage of thje people there are young adults, and the player can trick the orphanage into letting the those teens go with the player, and thent he player and enslave the teens sexually or something.

Guest user29

sounds good. Let me know how you find and remove the offspring. I can still do what I want to do even though you're doing this.

sounds good. Let me know how you find and remove the offspring. I can still do what I want to do even though you're doing this.

Well, I'm a noob and not sure how I'm gonna do any of this. I am totally open to help/suggestions if you want to work with me on this instead of doing the same thing twice.

Guest user29

I'm actually going to handle it a little differently

It's not adoption per se, for instance for scorpions there's going to be a mound you activate and you can then deposit the offspring in that. It'll be different for each species.

I like the idea, I have always thought children are handled very badly in FNV, and just Fallout in general (excluding the first and second obviously)

I don't know, I just get the feeling children are neglected. In any case, this is a good approach to address that. Obviously, the first things necessary to make this idea more than just an idea would be:

- A cell.

- A building of some sort, like a creche.

- A take/deposit a child here system.

- Some way to abuse that system, ie steal children, etc.

But in concept, a very good idea, and one that I fully endorse.

I like the idea' date=' I have always thought children are handled very badly in FNV, and just Fallout in general (excluding the first and second obviously)

I don't know, I just get the feeling children are neglected. In any case, this is a good approach to address that. Obviously, the first things necessary to make this idea more than just an idea would be:

- A cell.

- A building of some sort, like a creche.

- A take/deposit a child here system.

- Some way to abuse that system, ie steal children, etc.

But in concept, a very good idea, and one that I fully endorse.

[/quote']

For the cell, I'm thinking the New Vegas Medical Clinic area. In front of the clinic is a parking lot, a street, and some ruins. I'm thinking I'll clear the ruins and use that space, put in a hospital type building or something.

Past that, though...

I think orphanages need an industrial society?

A quick google search and http://homeport.tcs.tulane.edu/~rouxbee/kids00/israel6.html "In 1881 the first orphanage was founded."

One issue, I think, is that in an agricultural society, kids are useful -- they can pitch in and help, and make life easier. However, once you adjust things so that living space is scarce, and roles are specialized, then they do not fit in so well...

I am not sure how that translates into post apocalyptic world, since I do not understand how food and basic life essentials would work in New Vegas.

Yes, for the most part orphanages have mostly been an urban development. However orphans still existed, just the methods for dealing with them was different. One extended families and neighbors would typically take the child in, or failing that the local church or monastery might take them in. Really for the sake of realism there should be multiple 'orphanages', the 'children of the apocalypse' for the more charity/government funded orphanage, something run by the legion as in the game it's clear that they buy children and some form of a religious institution.

I think orphanages need an industrial society?

Its a game. You can get pregnant with the right mods. 'nuff said

Really for the sake of realism there should be multiple 'orphanages'...

By that logic Followers of the Apocalypse should have outposts in every settlement for healthcare and such' date=' as should Crimson Caravan for trade and Gun Runners for weapons.

...the 'children of the apocalypse' for the more charity/government funded orphanage...

The Children cover charity, a "government" orphanage would be the domain of NCR/Mr. House. As a warzone and frontier area, if NCR cares at all about orphans they most likely ship them back west to Shady Sands and other settlements. House reminds me of Andrew Ryan from Bioshock. If you ever read the novelization of the game, you know his attitude toward orphans was "...and?"

...something run by the legion as in the game it's clear that they buy children...

Again, this is a warzone. There are some older children at the Fort, you see them as you enter. Younger kids are most likely shipped back to Phoenix or Dry Wells.

...and some form of a religious institution.

"Some form of religious organization" would require another new faction. I'm doing good adding one, thanks. :P

Now I know where to dump the burdening trash once/if my female char gets raped.

Poor little soul... but that's the post-apocalyptic Mojave. At least it will be sheltered in the orphanage, even if there's no dignity growing there. As long as it's not a government orphanage, he/she will be OK; the child shouldn't be brainwashed with NCR propaganda.

I think a "kennel" to care for animals the Courier and her friends give birth to could be fun, but I don't want to press for people to work on something they are disinterested in. Somewhere to keep the kids would be good, especially if they keep growing there.

i like the idea. Tried to walk somethere in "team" with pc'daughter and Veronica's tween sons (at early kid stage).. such bunch of trouble it was.. --- orphanage is sure essential ;)

Lols off, can You put (on OP?) mod requirements - or it should be assumed as "all three newest .esm" (since the Pregnancy is .esm now)? Anyway, think i will follow this mod and wish you best.

Ok, I need help. I'm using the Casa Madrid Apartments in westside as my base to build from. Problem is, I can't edit the interior because I can't freaking SEE it. I duplicated the Madrid interior, renamed the duplicate, and tried to load it in the render window. I can see the various markers for NPCs and such, but the architecture won't show. Out of curiosity I checked the original and The Gray in North Vegas Square (similar type of building). None of them will show up, just NPCs hovering in empty grey space. What gives?