Skyrim Special Edition or original Skyrim?

lambient1988

So have I, years and years. Many of us here have spent indecent amounts of spare time doing the same thing you have. And I'm happy to flat out state that modding SSE has been a cake walk compared to dealing with the old engine at launch.

and what have been a piece of cake compared to modding skyrim?

you don't have a few exemples of what you are talking about?

So have I, years and years. Many of us here have spent indecent amounts of spare time doing the same thing you have. And I'm happy to flat out state that modding SSE has been a cake walk compared to dealing with the old engine at launch.

The entire thread is full of examples.. and testimony from experienced modders. I gave you some examples. But hearing examples that threaten your uneducated opinion really wasn't the intention of your post was it.

The Skyrim SE has absolutely nothing beyond some half-functioning ported mods. Give it a year or two, depending on SKSE64's pace and the community's response, you might have a better modding environment.

It has mods for just about every aspect of the game already.

Are you maybe referring to sex mods? I can agree that, without an extender, it's limited in that area. Maybe that is why some people are so resistant to it?

people spent a lot of time trying to fix the problems of an "old" game and I feel they did a pretty damn good job.

And SE benefits from nearly every one of those fixes. It just adds better stability and performance on top of it. So, it can be pushed that much further or simply enjoyed without as much fussing around outside of the game.

Don't raise your expectations on this new amazing DX11, 64bit engine. Newer stuff just means newer problems. Things aren't going to magically become super easy and smooth with 10000 mod capacity and constant 60fps with no bugs, memory leaks or CTDs. So whatever argument you have about skyrim's new wheels making it the best thing ever are pretty much invalid.

?

It's already out. We don't need to tailor expectations because we can just install and use the game for ourselves. And it turns out that it does, in comparison to oldrim, make modding "super easy and smooth".

It's not an unlimited improvement. It can still be crashed. It didn't fix all bugs. But, the difference is very noticeable.

Oh and one last thing regarding all this talk of performance.

500+ installed mods, 300+ plugins merged down to 233, with plenty of DLC sized mods, heavy scripted mods, 2k or 4k replacer mods. You name it, I've got it. HDR ENB using highest quality settings available, same with skyrim's own settings. Constant 60fps regardless with Vsync, if I turn it off I push 140+ almost everywhere except cities. Load times are near instant, don't remember the last time I had a CTD I didn't cause myself through testing a mod.

Bash "Oldrim" all you want, I've got it pretty good. It's all about the setup.

Sorry. Unless you have some crazy machine, I don't buy it. I've spent a lot of time modding the game with a solid machine. It bogs down way before reaching the load you describe.

This whole discussion is starting to bear the stink of politics and religion. Now the fundamentalists are coming out to play, that's always fun. 

The way I see it, smart people keep all their options open.  Having a 64bit engine to play with is a great option to have. Not committing to it until  there's some parity is a rational position to take. 

But you're dealing with a guy who will take something entirely subjective and then tell you that his low opinion of it is science-based. Scorn and derision is the last resort for most folks, it's an opening gambit for this guy.  You cannot come out of that exchange richer for having had it imo. Good luck though. 

Heh. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out why.

It appears that what this is about is that many modders have spent so much time getting their mod build right for oldrim that they actually have an emotional attachment to it. For them, the modding part is the game. Not the game itself.

you pick mods because others are using them?

What mods I pick is not the point. I used those as examples because they are mods that a lot of people want to use.

Popular mods running well on SE but not on oldrim is an argument for SE. Getting your mod build right doesn't have to be a spirit quest involving finding out that popular mods just wont run well in the game.

you don't like my screens? that's the purpose, screens > useless blabla

you don't have that kind of problems with sse?

No offense or hard feelings. I don't think your screens communicate what you want them to.

The only message I've been able to get from them is that you are capable of modding to get incredibly realistic looking slop-jalops in the game...

if you use northern encounter, you can't enter don't remember dungeon, because it's entrance is under northern stuff

if you forget killable children patch for rs children like me, you can't kill those childrens

if you forget sexlabnudecreature requiem patch, those creatures are weak again

if you forget ai overhaul immersive weapon whatever patch for your npc overhaul, your npcs lose that

If the performance and CTD problems in oldrim was limited to forgetting patches, it would be wonderful.

No, not just sex mods. ANY SKSE mods. Fixes, Racemnu, Most of Chekso's mods, Fuz Ro Doh, Additemmenu, Physics in it's entirety, OSA, quickloot, Community uncapper, Enhanced camera. 

I could go on.

No, SE still has memory leak issues, when we get more scripted mods papyrus will still need it's utilities. Regardless of how "shiny" it looks, it still needs work, if you can't see that then you seriously must be blind.

I've spent a lot of time working on skyrim, I know how to make it work and I know it's limitations. I'm not saying SE isn't going to run better, I'm just saying stop assuming it's so perfect that every fix we needed on LE isn't going to still be needed. Some patches will STILL be necessary.

As for my setup,

I7 Processor, Skyrim on SSD and a single GTX1070.

But with slightly lower ENB settings (Literally changing very high to high) I had the same kind of thing with my old GTX970.

attachicon.gif0cbb6b0c9f604b32bbb59b5f17f0b7c2.png

Not kidding about the load order.

Sex mod.. FlowerGirls SE. Chesko has ported most of his mods.. certainly the best ones.

Memory leak, interesting.. not disputing this necessarily.. but not seen it in long game sessions. 

The entire thread is full of examples.. and testimony from experienced modders. I gave you some examples. But hearing examples that threaten your uneducated opinion really wasn't the intention of your post was it.

was i talking to you?

you gave a few exemples?

are you talking about your problems with setscale or footik?

no idea what your problem with setscale is (i can have that with sexlab? hey, it's you that know that problem, if there's something to fix, tell us what it is)

can't have crash fix footik popup, i coc qasmoke before loading a save (to avoid bigger problems than that)

No yatol. You go to the effort of setting up SSE, throw a 130 or more esps at it, pick some that were well known to be troublesome for a lot of folks in  32bit Skyrim, play it for a week. Come back then and we'll talk on equal terms.

giphy.gif

DO%20IT3.gif

doit2.gif

Until then, you're a blowhard. (No that's not fair, but you are a very naughty boy)

i think this thread has served it's purpose and the rest of the posts belong in the criticism thread:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/70364-sse-criticism-thread-reloaded/

it's turned into a pissing contest, pissing contests make both sides look bad

Yeah agreed, it's getting far too crips v bloods in here  :D

bloods.jpg

you just blabla for the sake of blabla?

was i talking to you?

Don't worry so much yatol.

The existence of SE doesn't have to be felt like a bad break-up. There are many fishes in the sea!

No yatol. You go to the effort of setting up SSE, throw a 130 or more esps at it, pick some that were well known to be troublesome for a lot of folks in  32bit Skyrim, play it for a week. Come back then and we'll talk on equal terms.

that's all you have to say after your useless blabla about how modding sse is a piece of cake compared to skyrim?

want to talk on equal terms? were you able to do that with sse?

17012808302196248.jpg

if you no longer have all those problems you couldn't do anything about in skyrim, you can finally do everything in tamriel? no?

I wouldn't have bothered commenting at all If I hadn't run both products through their paces.

BS

Yes objective factual evidence of 32 running in Whiterun with Inqpc and 3DNPC with s666's hipoly duds at +60 frames must be a mirage. *wiggle fingers*

you should download crappy save destroying mods in abundance to prove my point

:lol:

also nice skate over the save issue.

Meanwhile, the facts are aside from volumetric lighting and properly dithered shadows 64 will never look as good as 32 unless dx11 buffer shader injection becomes a thing Boris + a team of contributors helping for over five years can do.

64 will be smoother thanks to dx11 frametimes, but it won't be faster and certainly not more dynamic and realistic with lighting and materials.

By your skewed metric it'll be better and more stable at loading crappy save destroying mods in plentiful numbers thus speeding up that ragequit factor at broken quests and non-responsive npcs all that much faster, and hey you can set ugrids to 20 so quests 5 miles from you can autocomplete and break and vampires can devour entire towns before you even see the town on the horizon, so that's a positive too, sure.

Meanwhile also in reality, mod adoption in SSE is far slower than 32's continued pace, and currently on steam 64 has less than half the population 32 does, and that says quite enough on the subjective section of the 'debate', such as it is.

"objective factual evidence of"  A SPECIFIC SET OF MODS running like that. Again, straw man argument. I acknowledged that this could be possible from the beginning. Not the point.

And now we learn what your real argument is. Many mods that appear on the top downloaded list are just crappy mods. In other words, "doing something wrong" by your definition includes actually using mods that tens of thousands of people want to use.

And SE runs them better as you admit.

And you are defending oldrim how exactly?

A specific set of mods that actually hit papyrus rather hard like DSCombat, but then clean up after themselves and don't clog my save with strings that will never resolve, thus causing the paradigm of either finishing the game in rush before the table is overloaded or not finishing it at all.

I'm not defending either, actually; I'm just pointing out your astoundingly obtuse and factually incorrect "logic" is not only not a ringing endorsement and the fact you have to move the goal posts a couple hundred yards and attempt to tell me what my argument is instead of offering factual refutation is all really that need be said.

And again the fact that 64 has less than half the population of 32 is the only metric that actually matters.

64 bit is slower than 32 (thats trivia, its longer execution process). only benefit is higher prcision which seems pointless as game is not scaled up, its the same old shit. also considered they made a lot of (pointless) changes to make sure old mods dont work to render their product completely laughable, im sure they made humongous amount of new bugs which are yet to discover. i cant imagine why would any1 waste their time on new suckrim build, especially if they have already wasted dozens of hours to mod older version to their liking. 

Actual in game performance is what matters.  Gopher did a nice video showing how the 2 games stack up performancewise (with both games mostly free of mods) and SE was significantly better performance overall.  He used something that uncapped his FPS and was seeing a range of something like 50-190 FPS in Oldrim and 90-170 FPS in SE.

Oldrim had a few indoor areas where performance was better but only in areas where both engines were running way beyond 60 FPS anyway.  SE performed better almost everywhere including ALL of the areas where both games have the worst performance.

Once heavily modded, both of those numbers are going to drop so for Oldrim the worst areas can have noticeable stuttering and choppiness while in SE those same areas are still 60 FPS.  My system is a lot slower than Gopher's so the idea of having a significant performance boost in all the worst areas sounds pretty nice to me given that my heavily modded game in Oldrim runs at around 30-40 FPS in most outdoor areas.

So I fully intend to switch once SKSE and a few of the mods I really can't live without that require it get ported over.

assuming extrapolation in performance is somewhat correct (which may not be in case of heavily modded game for whatever reason) are u realy willing to waste at least couple days to reconfigure mods, check compatibility, test how the mods work etc not to mention installing, messing around with old save file and so forth just to get couple fps more?  really? i think i'd need real life elf slut to offer me blowjob to bother with that bullshit.

64 bit is slower than 32 (thats trivia, its longer execution process). only benefit is higher prcision which seems pointless as game is not scaled up, its the same old shit. also considered they made a lot of (pointless) changes to make sure old mods dont work to render their product completely laughable, im sure they made humongous amount of new bugs which are yet to discover. i cant imagine why would any1 waste their time on new suckrim build, especially if they have already wasted dozens of hours to mod older version to their liking. 

Actual in game performance is what matters.  Gopher did a nice video showing how the 2 games stack up performancewise (with both games mostly free of mods) and SE was significantly better performance overall.  He used something that uncapped his FPS and was seeing a range of something like 50-190 FPS in Oldrim and 90-170 FPS in SE.

Oldrim had a few indoor areas where performance was better but only in areas where both engines were running way beyond 60 FPS anyway.  SE performed better almost everywhere including ALL of the areas where both games have the worst performance.

Once heavily modded, both of those numbers are going to drop so for Oldrim the worst areas can have noticeable stuttering and choppiness while in SE those same areas are still 60 FPS.  My system is a lot slower than Gopher's so the idea of having a significant performance boost in all the worst areas sounds pretty nice to me given that my heavily modded game in Oldrim runs at around 30-40 FPS in most outdoor areas.

So I fully intend to switch once SKSE and a few of the mods I really can't live without that require it get ported over.

assuming extrapolation in performance is somewhat correct (which may not be in case of heavily modded game for whatever reason) are u realy willing to waste at least couple days to reconfigure mods, check compatibility, test how the mods work etc not to mention installing, messing around with old save file and so forth just to get couple fps more?  really? i think i'd need real life elf slut to offer me blowjob to bother with that bullshit.

I've already done most of the work involved in figuring out which mods I want and what load order they need to be in for Oldrim so setting up a roughly equivalent modlist in SE would be minimal work.  It's just a matter of waiting for a few must have mods to be available and making a few substitutions in the case of abandoned mods, etc.  For me the time consuming part was actually testing the mods out to see which ones I really want.  Once the must haves are available I'll switch and then just add other stuff as it gets ported.

The other issue is that I use Windows 10 so unless Microsoft adds some sort of workaround to allow more than 4 GB of video memory for DX9, SE is going to be way more heavily moddable than Oldrim.  And no I'm not willing to go back to an OS that no longer gets any updates just for Skyrim.

That said, for now I'm still playing Oldrim because there ARE still several must have mods for me that aren't available yet on SE.  And if you prefer Oldrim nothing is stopping you from ignoring SE forever.

The Skyrim SE has absolutely nothing beyond some half-functioning ported mods. Give it a year or two, depending on SKSE64's pace and the community's response, you might have a better modding environment.

It has mods for just about every aspect of the game already.

Are you maybe referring to sex mods? I can agree that, without an extender, it's limited in that area. Maybe that is why some people are so resistant to it?

people spent a lot of time trying to fix the problems of an "old" game and I feel they did a pretty damn good job.

And SE benefits from nearly every one of those fixes. It just adds better stability and performance on top of it. So, it can be pushed that much further or simply enjoyed without as much fussing around outside of the game.

Don't raise your expectations on this new amazing DX11, 64bit engine. Newer stuff just means newer problems. Things aren't going to magically become super easy and smooth with 10000 mod capacity and constant 60fps with no bugs, memory leaks or CTDs. So whatever argument you have about skyrim's new wheels making it the best thing ever are pretty much invalid.

?

It's already out. We don't need to tailor expectations because we can just install and use the game for ourselves. And it turns out that it does, in comparison to oldrim, make modding "super easy and smooth".

It's not an unlimited improvement. It can still be crashed. It didn't fix all bugs. But, the difference is very noticeable.

Oh and one last thing regarding all this talk of performance.

500+ installed mods, 300+ plugins merged down to 233, with plenty of DLC sized mods, heavy scripted mods, 2k or 4k replacer mods. You name it, I've got it. HDR ENB using highest quality settings available, same with skyrim's own settings. Constant 60fps regardless with Vsync, if I turn it off I push 140+ almost everywhere except cities. Load times are near instant, don't remember the last time I had a CTD I didn't cause myself through testing a mod.

Bash "Oldrim" all you want, I've got it pretty good. It's all about the setup.

Sorry. Unless you have some crazy machine, I don't buy it. I've spent a lot of time modding the game with a solid machine. It bogs down way before reaching the load you describe.

This whole discussion is starting to bear the stink of politics and religion. Now the fundamentalists are coming out to play, that's always fun. 

The way I see it, smart people keep all their options open.  Having a 64bit engine to play with is a great option to have. Not committing to it until  there's some parity is a rational position to take. 

But you're dealing with a guy who will take something entirely subjective and then tell you that his low opinion of it is science-based. Scorn and derision is the last resort for most folks, it's an opening gambit for this guy.  You cannot come out of that exchange richer for having had it imo. Good luck though. 

Heh. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out why.

It appears that what this is about is that many modders have spent so much time getting their mod build right for oldrim that they actually have an emotional attachment to it. For them, the modding part is the game. Not the game itself.

you pick mods because others are using them?

What mods I pick is not the point. I used those as examples because they are mods that a lot of people want to use.

Popular mods running well on SE but not on oldrim is an argument for SE. Getting your mod build right doesn't have to be a spirit quest involving finding out that popular mods just wont run well in the game.

you don't like my screens? that's the purpose, screens > useless blabla

you don't have that kind of problems with sse?

No offense or hard feelings. I don't think your screens communicate what you want them to.

The only message I've been able to get from them is that you are capable of modding to get incredibly realistic looking slop-jalops in the game...

if you use northern encounter, you can't enter don't remember dungeon, because it's entrance is under northern stuff

if you forget killable children patch for rs children like me, you can't kill those childrens

if you forget sexlabnudecreature requiem patch, those creatures are weak again

if you forget ai overhaul immersive weapon whatever patch for your npc overhaul, your npcs lose that

If the performance and CTD problems in oldrim was limited to forgetting patches, it would be wonderful.

No, not just sex mods. ANY SKSE mods. Fixes, Racemnu, Most of Chekso's mods, Fuz Ro Doh, Additemmenu, Physics in it's entirety, OSA, quickloot, Community uncapper, Enhanced camera. 

I could go on.

No, SE still has memory leak issues, when we get more scripted mods papyrus will still need it's utilities. Regardless of how "shiny" it looks, it still needs work, if you can't see that then you seriously must be blind.

I've spent a lot of time working on skyrim, I know how to make it work and I know it's limitations. I'm not saying SE isn't going to run better, I'm just saying stop assuming it's so perfect that every fix we needed on LE isn't going to still be needed. Some patches will STILL be necessary.

As for my setup,

I7 Processor, Skyrim on SSD and a single GTX1070.

But with slightly lower ENB settings (Literally changing very high to high) I had the same kind of thing with my old GTX970.

attachicon.gif0cbb6b0c9f604b32bbb59b5f17f0b7c2.png

Not kidding about the load order.

Sex mod.. FlowerGirls SE. Chesko has ported most of his mods.. certainly the best ones.

Memory leak, interesting.. not disputing this necessarily.. but not seen it in long game sessions. 

Sure he's ported as much functionality as he could, but the entire lack of SKSE still leaves them far inferior.

I'm not defending either, actually; I'm just pointing out your astoundingly obtuse and factually incorrect "logic" is not only not a ringing endorsement and the fact you have to move the goal posts a couple hundred yards and attempt to tell me what my argument is instead of offering factual refutation is all really that need be said.

And again the fact that 64 has less than half the population of 32 is the only metric that actually matters.

lol

Lets see what your statement consists of in terms of logic: ... name calling... and... hm... that appears to be it.

And sorry. No. The population using a game platform has zero bearing on which one performs better or is more stable. And those two metrics matter to a lot of people.

That's the odd problem you find yourself in. Trying to criticize people for finding performance and stability a positive thing in a video game. Really weird battle to wage there, imo.

That's just it though. It DOESN'T take the same effort to mod SE. It is what modding Skyrim was always trying to be. You see a picture and description of a mod you like, you click a button and it downloads/installs and it just keeps working.

That's just it though. It DOESN'T take the same effort to mod SE. It is what modding Skyrim was always trying to be. You see a picture and description of a mod you like, you click a button and it downloads/installs and it just keeps working.

I suspect the bugs plaguing Oldrim are still there in SE but just being masked by the overall more stable engine.  System memory in particular I could see being a huge deal since you'll never exceed the limit in SE but it's easy to do so in Oldrim.  The memory manager in SE may very well be just as bad but if you throw double, triple, quadruple the ram at it, it doesn't really matter if the memory manager sucks.

The thing is, from a user perspective, it doesn't matter WHY the game is more stable.  What matters is that it IS.  If SE has the extra brute force via more resources to mask a lot of the bugs, that's almost as good as actually fixing the bugs.

The thing is, from a user perspective, it doesn't matter WHY the game is more stable.  What matters is that it IS.  If SE has the extra brute force via more resources to mask a lot of the bugs, that's almost as good as actually fixing the bugs.

Exactly.

When it comes to modding where you are relying on dozens if not hundreds of authors, resiliency matters.

There is also another angle to this, the CK 64 is significantly more strict on the rules of mod creation than the old CK and presents many more warnings and errors than the original did to the dev. Although, that said.. the CK64 does suffer some horrible bugs at the moment, which I hope will be addressed as they continue to release updates to it.

However it is moving in the right direction. Through-out the life of oldrim I spent more time re-writing mods than actually playing them to fix things and to remove the abject horrors in many of the scripts. Some of these mods were and still are highly popular (if only they knew what lies underneath!). So I for one, welcome tighter rules on mod creation, hoping it will encourage better practices.

However it is moving in the right direction. Through-out the life of oldrim I spent more time re-writing mods than actually playing them to fix things and to remove the abject horrors in many of the scripts. Some of these mods were and still are highly popular (if only they knew what lies underneath!). So I for one, welcome tighter rules on mod creation, hoping it will encourage better practices.

didn't the other one said sse magically fix all those problems?

If I am "doing something wrong" (which you have not established) then it is despite hundreds of hours modding. In other words, you are just proving my point even further.

"Getting it right" taking hundreds of hours is nothing to boast about. That is wasted life. With SE, you can do the same thing and get your hundreds of hours back to spend at the beach.

abject horrors of highly popular mods? a few exemples?

maybe i use some of those highly popular mods and didn't saw those problems

here's some fun if you use sic, a few are using it i think

170129012601884903.jpg

170129012527560737.jpg

would be too easy to make patchs if those npcs were just overwriting skyrim esm

170129012546326061.jpg

and those textures in _00 folders

170129012742847551.jpg

what the point to download better textures if the npcs don't use them?

170129012706537443.jpg

170129012648770126.jpg

170129012718392736.jpg

same problem with immersive armor or sexlabnudecreature

170129012732780064.jpg

abject horrors of highly popular mods? a few exemples?

maybe i use some of those highly popular mods and didn't saw those problems

here's some fun if you use sic, a few are using it i think

It obviously would be very unfair to single out particular mods, many of which have excellent ideas. The fault is in the implementation of the idea. I can however give you examples of poor practice:

Polling activity which conducts a package of work including while loops looking for objects with no break-out when found. That example is a real example of some of the script within a very popular mod which polls every single second. Not to mention the package of work it is doing is being repeated over and over entirely unnecessarily. It also tragically within this polling uses the Game object to access variables such as Game.GetPlayer() rather than just a property.

Many other common mistakes including lots of tests which can only ever be true/false.

The first one in isolation, will have no noticeable effect on the game.. but once you add multiple mods with poor practice the impact starts to be noticed. Better practices would vastly improve performance on lower end PC's. 

Also yes, x64 obviously has much higher headroom so the same code would have less drawback on x64 than x32. None the less, I personally don't install mods until I have at least taken a look through the code.

Case in point, one of the most excellent mod ever created suffers from lots of scripting issues, I know many will guess to what mod I am referring. The difficulty is fixing said problems when the author is un-receptive to suggestion.

The other issue is that I use Windows 10 so unless Microsoft adds some sort of workaround to allow more than 4 GB of video memory for DX9, SE is going to be way more heavily moddable than Oldrim.  And no I'm not willing to go back to an OS that no longer gets any updates just for Skyrim.

That said, for now I'm still playing Oldrim because there ARE still several must have mods for me that aren't available yet on SE.  And if you prefer Oldrim nothing is stopping you from ignoring SE forever.

why would use windows 10? its spyware/malware with dumbed down inerface pretending to be os. even without research, fact that microsoft gave it for free should tell something. and by tell i mean yell scam.

"Windows 10 Spying is worse than I ever imagined"

why would use windows 10? its spyware/malware with dumbed down inerface pretending to be os. even without research, fact that microsoft gave it for free should tell something. and by tell i mean yell scam.

"Windows 10 Spying is worse than I ever imagined"

You can tweak the interface so it looks and behaves almost identical to Windows 7, it just has the retarded tablet interface if you don't change it.  Privacy is a legit issue but there are so many technology companies spying on you, you'd have to become a hermit and go live in a tent somewhere to avoid it and that's before you even start talking about the NSA.  Overall, after I fixed the stupid tablet interface when I first upgraded, I like Windows 10 better than 7.

I just hope to whatever fucking gods exist that SSE will not CTD for a mod failing, but will instead just work around it

As my sainted grandmother once said:  "Wish in one hand, shit in the other, and see which one fills up faster."

No amount of protections will prevent a CTD if a mod is so badly written that it can cause a CTD.  Hell, missing a master causes a CTD (and that's not really a game BUG, that's a reading comprehension problem with the user  :P ).  They could disable the offending esm/esp, but then they have to verify if any mods have that disabled mod as master and disable those mods (and they told 2 friends, and so on, and so on...)  The most stable (non-console) game I've ever played is Witcher3, and it still had CTDs with it (VERY rare, but they occurred).  So hoping for miracle CTD handling is a pipe dream...

lol. That's like asking your car not to crash if the brakes fail.

Nice one...

Archived