Can't start game through FO4SE Launcher

The version of Fallout 4 Script Extender is matched to the exact version of Fallout 4. If you have an older version of the script extender than the exe then it will not start. I had the same problem. Double check the version of the exe to see if it matches the extender.

your manager is flaky or broken. Might need to clean or remove it all together and reinstall. Lets also remember you have to have the proper version of NMM that is able to handle the new files and there are some settings needed to be done to let mods work. Not sure if that would cause your problem but it did cause some problems when it first cropped up a long time ago.

verify the game files through Steam to be sure there isn't any issues.

Finally make sure you moved over all the required extender files.

Just covering some of the basics. I am sure you did most if not all of them but sometimes people forget or think they did it and they had forgot and passed over the step.

The Fallout 4 exe and the "f4se_1_8_7" DLL file match as far as version numbers are concerned (the Fallout 4 exe version number being 1.8.7.0), though I have noticed the file creation dates are different. all of the f4se files say they were created on the 8th of November, while the Fallout 4 game exe files say they were created on the 9th. Not sure if that is significant or not.

I just had the same problem today. I couldn't start the game. I got the F4SE error stating the versions were wrong. I went and got a new copy from the Silverlock site and verified my game through steam and it started again. Not sure if that is your problem but this did fix my problem.

I also have the same the same number versions as I just checked. Strange. My issue is likely not the same as yours.

What is your mod manager. How are you running the system to use F4SE to start? Have you manually tried to start it using the f4se_loader? To rule out if your manager is the cause of your issue. What version is the manager. Is it updated properly as well? Finally if you are using NMM it requires a specific .NET version do you have that installed? These are long shots but at least it is something to try to resolve the issue. This is strange.

I'm starting to having the same problem. I disabled the auto update, so my game is not yet at the new update, but since yesterday, it started acting weird. I use mod organizer, I can start F4SE through the usual folder (although it doesn't load any mod since it's mod organizer), I can start Fallout.exe through mod organizer, but I can't load F4SE through mod organizer, it crashes instantly with "Fallout 4 has stopped working".

Edit: Finally managed to start the game. I uninstalled my ENB and reinstalled it (using ENB Man)

They are still making changes to the game. Likely one of those changes caused the issue. Caused an incompatibility. One thing the OP can do that wasn't suggested is to uninstall all the mods then try provided they tried the other suggestions listed above first in case one of those worked. No need to remove all the mods when there might have been a simpler solution :)

Strange. Maybe it is something to do with MO? Can you launch the script extender for other games? Maybe the recent update caused a problem. Can either of you return to a previous (a week or more ago) FAllout.exe and F4SE to see if it works? If that works perfectly then it has to be something to do with MO and F4SE/Fallout4.

I don't use MO for Fallout 4 (use the 32bit version only never moved to MOII) so I am not experiencing the issues. I use NMM. For me with all updated it does work.

Found the problem. Finally. It seems the problem comes from using "ENB man" to manage my ENB at the same time as trying to launch F4SE through MO. Don't know why, it was working before. But now it doesn't. Well. Anyway, problem solved. I'll try to see tomorrow if I can use ENB man through MO too.

I just had the same problem today. I couldn't start the game. I got the F4SE error stating the versions were wrong. I went and got a new copy from the Silverlock site and verified my game through steam and it started again. Not sure if that is your problem but this did fix my problem.

I also have the same the same number versions as I just checked. Strange. My issue is likely not the same as yours.

What is your mod manager. How are you running the system to use F4SE to start? Have you manually tried to start it using the f4se_loader? To rule out if your manager is the cause of your issue. What version is the manager. Is it updated properly as well? Finally if you are using NMM it requires a specific .NET version do you have that installed? These are long shots but at least it is something to try to resolve the issue. This is strange.

I don't use a mod manager.

I don't use a mod manager.

You shouldn't have any problem then. The launcher should be working perfectly.

CAn you  backup your folder and setup and then clean the game and verify then load the F4SE? Then try it. This would rule out any mods or corrupted game files. Then it is F4SE or some requirement that is missing from your system.

Archived