Help porting from Skyrim, invisible armor.

Acies Gecko

I'm trying to port the nocturnal outfit from skyrim to fallout 4. I used 3dsmax to change the pose and all, everything went fine (I think) I can open the .nif in the creation kit and it shows without problems, but when I try to load the outfit in-game I only see the body, but not the outfit. I tried changing the body slots but I can't get it to work. I don't know whats wrong anymore,

I've attached the .nif to this post, the textures are from skyrim.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me with this.

Nocturnal.nif

The dress is a BSTriShape and not a BSSubIndexTriShape, also it has no skin data, it needs to be weighted.

And the BSLightingShaderProperty has some flags set that are not needed "RBG falloff and Tessellate", and when you skin it it will need a skinned fag set in it.

First and probably easiest....

Use Bodyslide/ Outfit Studio to convert (no need for Max really).

Open Bodyslide then Outfit Studio.

Load Reference - Skyrim CBBE to Fallout 4 CBBE (or something like that).

This reference only has 1 slider and it changes the pose from one to the other.

Load outfit (should use the cbbe version from one of the cbbe mods vs vanilla skyrim), set base shape, conform to all, set the slider to 100 and set base shape again.

Now Export the Robe mesh as an FBX.

Close Outfit Studio and reopen it.

Load the default CBBE reference, then import the Robe's FBX.

Set a material file path (You will need a material file for the item to show in game in FO4).

Set the Texture path (not really needed as the texture path is handled in the material file).

Highlight the Robe mesh in the top right corner and right click and choose "copy bone weights" this will copy the FO4 bones onto the Robe.

Convert the Skyrim Textures (usually in DXT1, 5, or RGB DDS format) over to FO4 DDS texture formats (especially the normal map).

Kiss method for Folder Paths (keep them all in the same group \ sub group).

So: Nif's go into the data\Meshes\cloth\NocturnalRobe\ folder ; Material file goes into the data\Material\cloth\NocturnalRobe\ folder ; and

textures go into the data\Texture\cloth\NocturnalRobe\ folder.

Note: if you want to get really fancy you can take a couple of the retextures for the robe and give them sub names in the texture folder and create material files that point to them for the main robe mesh. Then in the esp just set up options for either multiple versions of the robe (each pointing to a different color)... Or set up the esp to have one armor and have a sub group show up at the armor workbench to allow you to change the color and have the color changes adjust the material path for the item.

Now back to the Outfit and Outfit Studio.

With the Robe's material path set and bone weighted, do a conform to all under sliders, and check each slider for clipping (this is with the cbbe preset and its many different sliders). Once you have checked each slider for clipping, and adjusted accordingly, do a save project as, set the output path to the data\meshes\cloth\nocturnalrobe\ "mesh name".nif (what ever you call on in the esp's armor addon for the mesh).  Then save project.

There are probably a couple of step's in there that should be gone over in more detail, but I'm not going to.... your job is to learn while you convert.....

First and probably easiest....

Use Bodyslide/ Outfit Studio to convert (no need for Max really).

Open Bodyslide then Outfit Studio.

Load Reference - Skyrim CBBE to Fallout 4 CBBE (or something like that).

This reference only has 1 slider and it changes the pose from one to the other.

Load outfit (should use the cbbe version from one of the cbbe mods vs vanilla skyrim), set base shape, conform to all, set the slider to 100 and set base shape again.

I don't use the outfit studio to change the pose because this is what happens to the sleeves: http://imgur.com/2aaoxKF

When it should be like this (changed with 3dsmax and exported as fo4 .nif) http://imgur.com/1YiOjZs

The stretching sleeves almost looks like a node/weigthing issue. Like a bone node is attached to a spot it shouldn't be. 

Yes, it was exactly that, for some reason it had no weighting, I always make sure to copy the weighting, and Outfit Studio didn't warn me of it, but I fixed it now.

Archived