Read this if mods not working after the FO4 update

prinyo

It seems the FO4 beta is not beta anymore and everybody is getting the update. And their mods stop working. This is because of the changed format of the plugins file.

(Updated)

Problem 1: No more mods

If you are using NMM - update to the newest version.
When you open it for the first time you need to see this : http://imgur.com/FmRb9Z0
Open the Plugins tab and enable the plugins.
That's all. Start the game via NMM to check if the mods are back.

Use MO?

Seems the new build of MO supports the new plugins.txt syntax

Don't use NMM or MO? 

You need to update your plugins.txt by hand - there is an example here.

If you update your plugins.txt by hand make sure it is set to Read only before you start the game.

Problem 2: CTD when you start the game

1. Delete the content of "Fallout4\data\interface"
2. If still CTD - remove mods that change the UI of the game in any way. Or try to reinstall them.
3. Try do disable mods one by one to see which one is breaking the game. Some mods already have patches.
For example - DEF_UI has a patch published under Updates in files.

Problem 3: Old saves are gone
Install Achievements

Added after reading posts in this and other threads - after you have fixed your mods to work do not open the Mods menu in the game (the new in-game mod manager). 

My plugins.txt looks like this and mods work:

# This file is used by Fallout4 to keep track of your downloaded content.
# Please do not modify this file.
*ArmorKeywords.esm
*SpringCleaning.esm
*SettlementKeywords.esm
*Robot Home Defence.esm

*ArmorKeywords.esm

*SpringCleaning.esm

*SettlementKeywords.esm

*Robot Home Defence.esm

Yep so do mine! Not working for me I even verified the game cache with steam! I,m at a loss!! They were working fine before 1.5 updates! :angry:

I also noticed that any save file I created after the update now has a "[M]" in front of the name IN GAME. After I exit the game and go into the SAVE directory, I see that the game has restarted numbering the new saves at 1, 2, 3, etc instead of continuing from 2816 which was my last save from yesterday (I sincerely hope I said all of that clearly).

Aside from that and the LOOT issue I stated in my previous post, all mods are active and the game is stable. Any clue what that "M" is supposed to mean? 

EDIT: Amazing what you can find out with a little reading  :D . I just finished reading the update news on Steam and it was mentioned that Survival character selection will have their own filter. Maybe this "M" designation has something to do with that?

I also noticed that any save file I created after the update now has a "[M]" in front of the name IN GAME. After I exit the game and go into the SAVE directory, I see that the game has restarted numbering the new saves at 1, 2, 3, etc instead of continuing from 2816 which was my last save from yesterday (I sincerely hope I said all of that clearly).

Aside from that and the LOOT issue I stated in my previous post, all mods are active and the game is stable. Any clue what that "M" is supposed to mean? 

EDIT: Amazing what you can find out with a little reading  :D . I just finished reading the update news on Steam and it was mentioned that Survival character selection will have their own filter. Maybe this "M" designation has something to do with that?

Actually, the [M] means Modded. Your game is modded.

On a downside to that, all achievements/trophies are disabled in a modded game. One of the new wonderful features Bethesda added. If you use mods, you can't earn achievements.

Luckily, Expired has come to the rescue and made a work-around using F4SE: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465/?

*ArmorKeywords.esm

*SpringCleaning.esm

*SettlementKeywords.esm

*Robot Home Defence.esm

Yep so do mine! Not working for me I even verified the game cache with steam! I,m at a loss!! They were working fine before 1.5 updates! :angry:

For what its worth, I had issues reenabling certain mods even with the asterisks, yet other mods loaded fine. I had to disable then reenable every mod on wyrebash (or nmm whatever) then add the asterisks again to the plugins.txt and everything seemed to work fine after.

I dunno if this is of any help - I'm just suggesting to try reenabling every mod in your mod manager again before adding the asterisks, if you haven't done so already.

Actually, the [M] means Modded. Your game is modded.

On a downside to that, all achievements/trophies are disabled in a modded game. One of the new wonderful features Bethesda added. If you use mods, you can't earn achievements.

Luckily, Expired has come to the rescue and made a work-around using F4SE: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465/?

Modded huh? That actually makes sense but we all know that making sense is strictly forbidden  :lol: .  All kidding aside, that thought actually crossed my mind when I first saw it but it was wayyy too simple to be true so I tossed the thought aside. Thanks Spyder for showing me I should go back to trusting my instincts  :D

well updated fallout 4 no mods work....updated NMM to fix and no fix........man i batting a thousand today!

NMM works, it's just a bit iffy sometimes. Click the green check mark to enable all mods, and it will enable them. Exit out, open NMM again, and make sure they are still enabled. If not, do it again and exit out and check again. It will stick, just sometimes it has a few hiccups first.

If all else fails, there is a Mod section ingame now. Go there, log into your Bethesda.net account (yes, I know. You need one now), and go to manage your mods. Then just activate them there.

well updated fallout 4 no mods work....updated NMM to fix and no fix........man i batting a thousand today!

NMM works, it's just a bit iffy sometimes. Click the green check mark to enable all mods, and it will enable them. Exit out, open NMM again, and make sure they are still enabled. If not, do it again and exit out and check again. It will stick, just sometimes it has a few hiccups first.

If all else fails, there is a Mod section ingame now. Go there, log into your Bethesda.net account (yes, I know. You need one now), and go to manage your mods. Then just activate them there.

The problem with this is that the in-game manager's load order doesn't match NMM's. And good luck trying to load a save with that issue.

Trykz

The problem with this is that the in-game manager's load order doesn't match NMM's. And good luck trying to load a save with that issue.

Trykz

That's odd then. I manage all my plugins with NMM. Manually sort my load order with NMM as well, and all is just fine. Checked it on the Mods section in game, and it is the same load order I use in NMM. Nothing changed. And my saves work just fine.

Trykz

That's odd then. I manage all my plugins with NMM. Manually sort my load order with NMM as well, and all is just fine. Checked it on the Mods section in game, and it is the same load order I use in NMM. Nothing changed. And my saves work just fine.

Doesn't seem the rest of us share your good fortune  ;)

In any event, I'm doing a FULL reinstall of the game and all my mods. If it doesn't work, then Bethesda can pound this game straight up their asses. I'll go back to Skyrim. Or maybe level another toon in GW2. I'm exhausted with this shit, and Bethesda's blatant disregard for what their beta participants tell them. Had they listened to what many were saying, this shit wouldn't be happening right now, and we'd ALL be happily going about our business of modding and enjoying the game. All this mess to turn using mods into "cheating", give console users access to mods which they likely won't even use once they find out it cockblocks them out of achievements, and line things up nicely for the surely impending "next attempt" at paid mods.

Well, I've ranted enough...... we'll see what happens after I reinstall.....

Trykz

I'd say just take a break for a bit. The patch just came out, and if you're a heavy mod user like me, give it a couple days for mods to update. So when you do your reinstall, you can get the updated versions of all your mods for the new patch. And by then, I'm sure NMM will have the kinks worked out for those still having issues.

GW2, man. I'm just waiting for Living World to start back up again. Already got an 80 of every profession, and not much left to do in that game for me. lol

But yeah, it sucks. Bugs happen and it is rather disheartening and frustrating at times. At least we have work around now for some things (activating console in Survival, Achievements with mods, Unofficial Patch, etc) to help ease our burdens. :)

I'd say just take a break for a bit. The patch just came out, and if you're a heavy mod user like me, give it a couple days for mods to update. So when you do your reinstall, you can get the updated versions of all your mods for the new patch. And by then, I'm sure NMM will have the kinks worked out for those still having issues.

GW2, man. I'm just waiting for Living World to start back up again. Already got an 80 of every profession, and not much left to do in that game for me. lol

But yeah, it sucks. Bugs happen and it is rather disheartening and frustrating at times. At least we have work around now for some things (activating console in Survival, Achievements with mods, Unofficial Patch, etc) to help ease our burdens. :)

Nope I have even created mods with the new Creation Kit and they don't load either. As far as I can see and I have exhausted all avenues including Bethesda support via email, mods are not working with 1.5.157 update period or I am just really cursed!

GAWD, it's like Kerbal Space Program all over again. With every patch update it breaks the game.. I'm been trying to fix my mods for a few hours now. One time it worked.... then I changed my characters name and it froze.. Booted up again and suddenly all my mods were gone again.. wtf...

Going to wait until the mod authors update again.

GAWD, it's like Kerbal Space Program all over again. With every patch update it breaks the game.. I'm been trying to fix my mods for a few hours now. One time it worked.... then I changed my characters name and it froze.. Booted up again and suddenly all my mods were gone again.. wtf...

Going to wait until the mod authors update again.

As far as I can tell, the issue seems to be the Bethesda mod manager that is interfering with 3rd party mod managers. NMM included. If you look at your load order in NMM, it likely won't match what you find in the Bethesda manager.

It was discovered yesterday that mods not originating from Bethesda.net cannot really be managed in the Bethesda launcher. They show up there, but ordering them does no good, because NMM changes the load order back once you load the game. And if Bethesda "fixes" the problem (as they've acknowledged the issue and promised a "future fix"), then in all likelihood the Bethesda mod manager will have final control over the load order. Essentially rendering NMM, Mod Organizer and the like, completely redundant in the process. What good is a mod manager that doesn't manage anything?

In any event, I don't see this going well in the foreseeable future.

Trykz

Archived