Game broken: can't buy houses, Jarl doesn't know he is a Jarl, and so on, even on clean saves

Musje

I recently had to reinstall Skyrim and all my mods. Everything seemed to be functioning ok but after a while I started to notice some bugs. They are all related to the vanilla game.  What I encountered (clean saves started with Live Another Life, at around lvl 1 or 2 so early in the game):

• The Jarl in Falkreath doesn' t know he is a Jarl. He doesn't sit on his throne and stands around cooking in the kitchen instead. He does offer the quest to get him some mead from Riften but nothing after that (one time he did offer the followup quest but didn't make me jarl when I completed it). Console shows he isnt't even in the JobJarl faction
  • The Jarl in Riften offers me a thaneship and asks me to buy a house from his assistant. The quest marker points to his assistant but she doesnt have the dialogue to buy it. Looking at the HousePurchase quest that contains the dialogue I do meet all the requirements for the dialogue to start, but console shows the quest isn't started and I cannot start it from the console either.

Did some Googling of course and found that others have similar issues every so often, but I get this on every playthrough, and who knows what more is broken further down the line.

I tried a fresh game with ALL mods disabled except LAL and the Legendary DLC + patches.   Same issues. I doubt it is a problem with LAL because I have had several working playthroughs with that before I had to reinstall.

Patches are cleaned in Tes5Edit and sorted in Loot.

Log and Loot info attached.  Any ideas on how I can even begin to diagnose this problem?

0  0 Skyrim.esm
  1  1 Update.esm
  2  2 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
  3  3 Dawnguard.esm
  4  4 Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
  5  5 HearthFires.esm
  6  6 Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
  7  7 Dragonborn.esm
  8  8 Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
  9  9 SexLab.esm
 10  a SexLabAroused.esm
 11  b Devious Devices - Assets.esm
 12  c ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
 13  d RSkyrimChildren.esm
 14  e paradise_halls.esm
 15  f Campfire.esm
 16 10 ZaZAnimationPack.esm
 17 11 Devious Devices - Integration.esm
 18 12 ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
 19 13 SummerWear.esm
 20 14 Devious Devices - Expansion.esm
 21 15 HighResTexturePack01.esp
 22 16 HighResTexturePack02.esp
 23 17 HighResTexturePack03.esp
 24 18 SkyUI.esp
 25 19 FNIS.esp
 26 1a dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
 27 1b ZaZHDTWorkshop.esp
 28 1c SlaveTats.esp
 29 1d Supreme Fog - CoT.esp
 30 1e Supreme Storms - Cot Version.esp
 31 1f ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
 32 20 ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
 33 21 SexLab_Solutions.esp
 34 22 ETaC - Complete.esp
 35 23 HroldanNightgateSawmillSingleESP.esp
 36 24 ETaC - Dragon Bridge South.esp
 37 25 Folkstead.esp
 38 26 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
 39 27 Helsmyrr.esp
 40 28 SexLab_DibellaCult.esp
 41 29 Immersive Whiterun.esp
 42 2a Immersive Solstheim.esp
 43 2b Populated Lands Roads Paths Legendary.esp
 44 2c RSChildren - Complete.esp
 45 2d RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp
 46 2e RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
 47 2f Armor and Clothing for RSChildren - Non-Playable Override.esp
 48 30 paradise_halls_farengars_study.esp
 49 31 PAH_Punisher.esp
 50 32 UNP Simply Clothes.esp
 51 33 UNP Undies.esp
 52 34 SexyEveningDress.esp
 53 35 SexLab_DibellaCult_Sisters.esp
 54 36 WetandCold.esp
 55 37 ZazCrafter.esp
 56 38 JaxonzEnhGrab.esp
 57 39 When Vampires Attack.esp
 58 3a FacelightPlus.esp
 59 3b AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
 60 3c paradise_halls_SLExtension.esp
 61 3d Run For Your Lives.esp
 62 3e PAH_HomeSweetHome.esp
 63 3f Populated Cities Towns Villages.esp
 64 40 DA_Skyship.esp
 65 41 paradise_halls_SLExtension fight.esp
 66 42 Frostfall.esp
 67 43 paradise_halls_family_feud.esp
 68 44 paradise_halls_fellglow_slave_camp.esp
 69 45 FFRedguards.esp
 70 46 00xLolitaFollower.esp
 71 47 FNISspells.esp
 72 48 AsharaDimonizedDress.esp
 73 49 XN_Horora.esp
 74 4a ElvenSisters.esp
 75 4b Devious Deviants.esp
 76 4c SKY_Followers2.esp
 77 4d Cirilla.esp
 78 4e aya_sue099.esp
 79 4f YuiH StandAlone Follower - Merura.esp
 80 50 AsharaErinFollower.esp
 81 51 Crista_Follower.esp
 82 52 Celestine.esp
 83 53 AKElvenTeenies.esp
 84 54 SummerWearSA.esp
 85 55 A Felicidade.esp
 86 56 Hecate.esp
 87 57 MBWSYNFollowersACT2.esp
 88 58 The Element Sisters.esp
 89 59 Elwyn - YuiH StandAlone Follower.esp
 90 5a Follower - Phey.esp
 91 5b XNLLT.esp
 92 5c _Imokko.esp
 93 5d MBWSFollowers2.esp
 94 5e SassyTeen.esp
 95 5f Toccata.esp
 96 60 FollowerCiceria.esp
 97 61 FollowerSha.esp
 98 62 Poet.esp
 99 63 Follower - BeeDee.esp
100 64 Cynthiafamily.esp
101 65 FFNords.esp
102 66 Follower_Ingenu.esp
103 67 Iosefka Follower CBBE.esp
104 68 Jasmine.esp
105 69 QT-Akira.esp
106 6a Inno followers.esp
107 6b BloodMoon.esp
108 6c boudicaUNP.esp
109 6d SexLab TDF Aggressive Prostitution.esp
110 6e SexLab TDFAP - Requiem Blue Aura Fix.esp
       XPMSE.esp
111 6f Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
112 70 RBS.esp

Papyrus.0.log

uninstall the jaxon grabber mod and uskp, i'm guessing that's unofficial skyrim patches - its flooding your logs

next you have similar problems with wetandcold, but wet and cold is only damaged due to the above, a reinstall at a later date may be fine for it

clean the save if its possible, but might need another fresh start without those first 2 mods

I thought the unofficial skyrim patches were pretty much mandatory, doesn;t everyone install these? Loot recommends them as well.

Oh, by "clean save", I actually meant "fresh start".  I once ran the game by disabling all mods except the DLC + patches, FNIS, SkyUI and Live another Life, and started a fresh game.  What I do:

• Create a character
  • Choose "I am the patron of an inn" or some such, then pick Falkreath
  • After spawning in the inn I run to the Jarl's place.

The result: on my work computer (not really suitable for playing) he is called "Jarl Siddgeir" and sits on his throne.  On my game computer he is called "Siddgeir" and he is baking cookies in the kitchen. Same result if I start a new game with all mods except the ones I mentioned above disable. :(  And I tried just now with all mods disabled except the highres textures, the DLC, and the unofficial skyrim patch bot not the patches for the DLC, and LAL.  Same result.

I guess something got overwritten. And I didn't install any weird mod (or one that I haven't used before). What may be happened is taht I overwrote something while setting up the development environment? At some point I had to unpack a rar file full of source from the game, maybe that messed things up?

I recently had to reinstall Skyrim and all my mods. Everything seemed to be functioning ok but after a while I started to notice some bugs. They are all related to the vanilla game.  What I encountered (clean saves started with Live Another Life, at around lvl 1 or 2 so early in the game):

• The Jarl in Falkreath doesn' t know he is a Jarl. He doesn't sit on his throne and stands around cooking in the kitchen instead. He does offer the quest to get him some mead from Riften but nothing after that (one time he did offer the followup quest but didn't make me jarl when I completed it). Console shows he isnt't even in the JobJarl faction
  • The Jarl in Riften offers me a thaneship and asks me to buy a house from his assistant. The quest marker points to his assistant but she doesnt have the dialogue to buy it. Looking at the HousePurchase quest that contains the dialogue I do meet all the requirements for the dialogue to start, but console shows the quest isn't started and I cannot start it from the console either.

Did some Googling of course and found that others have similar issues every so often, but I get this on every playthrough, and who knows what more is broken further down the line.

I tried a fresh game with ALL mods disabled except LAL and the Legendary DLC + patches.   Same issues. I doubt it is a problem with LAL because I have had several working playthroughs with that before I had to reinstall.

Log and Loot info attached.  Any ideas on how I can even begin to diagnose this problem?

0  0 Skyrim.esm

1  1 Update.esm

2  2 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

3  3 Dawnguard.esm

4  4 Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

5  5 HearthFires.esm

6  6 Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp

7  7 Dragonborn.esm

8  8 Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

9  9 SexLab.esm

10  a SexLabAroused.esm

11  b Devious Devices - Assets.esm

12  c ETaC - RESOURCES.esm

13  d RSkyrimChildren.esm

14  e paradise_halls.esm

15  f Campfire.esm

19 13 SummerWear.esm

24 18 SkyUI.esp

25 19 FNIS.esp

27 1b ZaZHDTWorkshop.esp

28 1c SlaveTats.esp

37 25 Folkstead.esp

39 27 Helsmyrr.esp

49 31 PAH_Punisher.esp

51 33 UNP Undies.esp

54 36 WetandCold.esp

55 37 ZazCrafter.esp

56 38 JaxonzEnhGrab.esp

58 3a FacelightPlus.esp

64 40 DA_Skyship.esp

66 42 Frostfall.esp

69 45 FFRedguards.esp

71 47 FNISspells.esp

73 49 XN_Horora.esp

74 4a ElvenSisters.esp

76 4c SKY_Followers2.esp

77 4d Cirilla.esp

78 4e aya_sue099.esp

82 52 Celestine.esp

83 53 AKElvenTeenies.esp

84 54 SummerWearSA.esp

85 55 A Felicidade.esp

86 56 Hecate.esp

91 5b XNLLT.esp

92 5c _Imokko.esp

93 5d MBWSFollowers2.esp

94 5e SassyTeen.esp

95 5f Toccata.esp

97 61 FollowerSha.esp

98 62 Poet.esp

100 64 Cynthiafamily.esp

101 65 FFNords.esp

104 68 Jasmine.esp

105 69 QT-Akira.esp

107 6b BloodMoon.esp

108 6c boudicaUNP.esp

XPMSE.esp

112 70 RBS.esp

I thought the unofficial skyrim patches were pretty much mandatory, doesn;t everyone install these? Loot recommends them as well.

Oh, by "clean save", I actually meant "fresh start".  I once ran the game by disabling all mods except the DLC + patches, FNIS, SkyUI and Live another Life, and started a fresh game.  What I do:

• Create a character
  • Choose "I am the patron of an inn" or some such, then pick Falkreath
  • After spawning in the inn I run to the Jarl's place.

The result: on my work computer (not really suitable for playing) he is called "Jarl Siddgeir" and sits on his throne.  On my game computer he is called "Siddgeir" and he is baking cookies in the kitchen. Same result if I start a new game with all mods except the ones I mentioned above disable. :(  And I tried just now with all mods disabled except the highres textures, the DLC, and the unofficial skyrim patch bot not the patches for the DLC, and LAL.  Same result.

I guess something got overwritten. And I didn't install any weird mod (or one that I haven't used before). What may be happened is taht I overwrote something while setting up the development environment? At some point I had to unpack a rar file full of source from the game, maybe that messed things up?

those patches were made for dirty content, they were made t "patch things, having already cleaned things the right way thru tesedit you've eliminated the need for those patches and made them a conflict:

they can't fix something that's not broken

Guest ffabris

Uhm, no. The Unofficial Skyrim Patches fix bugs in the vanilla game. They are most definitely good to have.

Added: I'd use USLEEP however; the separate patches are now outdated.

those patches were made for dirty content, they were made t "patch things, having already cleaned things the right way thru tesedit you've eliminated the need for those patches and made them a conflict:

t some point I had to unpack a rar file full of source from the game, maybe that messed things up?

^ Don't listen to him he doesn't know what he is talking about, use USLEEP these are all merged together requiring all DLC's as the old ones are no longer maintained because at this point everyone should have the DLC's

t some point I had to unpack a rar file full of source from the game, maybe that messed things up?

^ Don't listen to him he doesn't know what he is talking about, use USLEEP these are all merged together requiring all DLC's as the old ones are no longer maintained because at this point everyone should have the DLC's

lol, don't know what i'm talking about....

really i've seen enough problems caused by those patches

your new mod going to clean the crap out of musje's log there and fix the jarl cause i don't have those issues in my game

Guest ffabris

your new mod going to clean the crap out of musje's log there and fix the jarl cause i don't have those issues in my game

USLEEP:

A comprehensive bugfixing mod for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition. The goal of the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (aka USLEEP) is to eventually fix every bug with Skyrim and its 3 DLCs not officially resolved by the developers to the limits of the Creation Kit and community-developed tools, in one easy-to-install package.

Kinda contradicts what you said about it. Plus if you examine it in CK, you can see for yourself what it does.

Anyway, as to the OP's problem, hard to guess at the cause, but one possibility is scripts left over which overwrite/replace the vanilla game scripts. I'd go for a brute force approach an uninstall the game then manually wipe the game folders, to make sure everything is gone. Then reinstall.

USLEEP:

A comprehensive bugfixing mod for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition. The goal of the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (aka USLEEP) is to eventually fix every bug with Skyrim and its 3 DLCs not officially resolved by the developers to the limits of the Creation Kit and community-developed tools, in one easy-to-install package.

Kinda contradicts what you said about it. Plus if you examine it in CK, you can see for yourself what it does.

Anyway, as to the OP's problem, hard to guess at the cause, but one possibility is scripts left over which overwrite/replace the vanilla game scripts. I'd go for a brute force approach an uninstall the game then manually wipe the game folders, to make sure everything is gone. Then reinstall.

i've read some of the things they claim to be fixxing that weren't broken to begin with, old line if it aint broke don't fix it, then i read about their patches in people's logs over and over again like a broken record, they're filling you with as much mallarchy as microsoft's new spyware campaign

problem with the brute force approach is it gets old, continually reinstalling the game every time somebodys mod decides to take a dump in your log if you don't go back and retest the mods you had a few mods at a time to find what broke it in the first place

Guest ffabris

[shrug] I haven't had an issue like that in longer than I remember. Plus it seems that most have no issues with USLEEP; I sure don't.  continue to recommend that people use it.

Anyway, given the symptoms, and given that they exist in a totally new game, with almost not mods installed, clearly the issue isn't a messed up saved, nor bad mods (at least not currently installed). So, all that remains is what I said: crap left over from who knows what.

The specific problems listed are all quests, and much of what makes up a quest is scripts. So at the very least, I'd go wipe anything in the scripts folder, then reinstall mods that are loose (as opposed to packed in BSA).

Exactly you have no idea what you're talking about lol

I have used the unofficial patches for 4 years I honestly never had a problem with them if you do then that's on you. You say the patches were made for dirty content which is completely wrong and no one you can find will agree with that. USLEEP won't fix an already broken game I was just offering a suggestion but I can guarantee it isn't the cause like you were suggesting.

You don't have to believe what I am telling you just know that you were wrong and I am right.

Exactly you have no idea what you're talking about lol

I have used the unofficial patches for 4 years I honestly never had a problem with them if you do then that's on you. You say the patches were made for dirty content which is completely wrong and no one you can find will agree with that. USLEEP won't fix an already broken game I was just offering a suggestion but I can guarantee it isn't the cause like you were suggesting.

You don't have to believe what I am telling you just know that you were wrong and I am right.

ok i've only been fixing people's games over and over, but i don't know what i'm talking about so why don't you stick your foot in your mouth and go take a tally on how many people's games run better due to my help then get a clue

ok i've only been fixing people's games over and over, but i don't know what i'm talking about so why don't you stick your foot in your mouth and go take a tally on how many people's games run better due to my help then get a clue

I have fixed several peoples games even went on teamviewer several times to help people :) I am not saying you absolutely don't know what you're talking about in a general sense but when it comes to the unofficial patches you CLEARLY have no clue.

I have fixed several peoples games even went on teamviewer several times to help people :) I am not saying you absolutely don't know what you're talking about in a general sense but when it comes to the unofficial patches you CLEARLY have no clue.

i'll believe that when they quit showing up in people's logs breaking the game instead of fixing it

i'll believe that when they quit showing up in people's logs breaking the game instead of fixing it

It's a master file of course its going to be showing up in the log lol and show me exactly where in the log it says its breaking the game? Just because its in the log doesn't mean its fucking shit up its not a crash log. Believe what? i mean your description of the mod was completely inaccurate lol you're telling me you still don't think you're wrong then you're in denial.

I recently had to reinstall Skyrim and all my mods. Everything seemed to be functioning ok but after a while I started to notice some bugs. They are all related to the vanilla game. What I encountered (clean saves started with Live Another Life, at around lvl 1 or 2 so early in the game):

I tried a fresh game with ALL mods disabled except LAL and the Legendary DLC + patches. Same issues. I doubt it is a problem with LAL because I have had several working playthroughs with that before I had to reinstall.

Log and Loot info attached. Any ideas on how I can even begin to diagnose this problem?

0 0 Skyrim.esm

1 1 Update.esm

2 2 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

3 3 Dawnguard.esm

4 4 Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

5 5 HearthFires.esm

6 6 Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp

7 7 Dragonborn.esm

8 8 Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

9 9 SexLab.esm

10 a SexLabAroused.esm

11 b Devious Devices - Assets.esm

12 c ETaC - RESOURCES.esm

13 d RSkyrimChildren.esm

14 e paradise_halls.esm

15 f Campfire.esm

19 13 SummerWear.esm

24 18 SkyUI.esp

25 19 FNIS.esp

27 1b ZaZHDTWorkshop.esp

28 1c SlaveTats.esp

37 25 Folkstead.esp

39 27 Helsmyrr.esp

49 31 PAH_Punisher.esp

51 33 UNP Undies.esp

54 36 WetandCold.esp

55 37 ZazCrafter.esp

56 38 JaxonzEnhGrab.esp

58 3a FacelightPlus.esp

64 40 DA_Skyship.esp

66 42 Frostfall.esp

69 45 FFRedguards.esp

71 47 FNISspells.esp

73 49 XN_Horora.esp

74 4a ElvenSisters.esp

76 4c SKY_Followers2.esp

77 4d Cirilla.esp

78 4e aya_sue099.esp

82 52 Celestine.esp

83 53 AKElvenTeenies.esp

84 54 SummerWearSA.esp

85 55 A Felicidade.esp

86 56 Hecate.esp

91 5b XNLLT.esp

92 5c _Imokko.esp

93 5d MBWSFollowers2.esp

94 5e SassyTeen.esp

95 5f Toccata.esp

97 61 FollowerSha.esp

98 62 Poet.esp

100 64 Cynthiafamily.esp

101 65 FFNords.esp

104 68 Jasmine.esp

105 69 QT-Akira.esp

107 6b BloodMoon.esp

108 6c boudicaUNP.esp

XPMSE.esp

112 70 RBS.esp

I hate to ask such a question, but did you disable your Steam cloud?

It's a master file of course its going to be showing up in the log lol and show me exactly where in the log it says its breaking the game? Just because its in the log doesn't mean its fucking shit up its not a crash log. Believe what? i mean your description of the mod was completely inaccurate lol you're telling me you still don't think you're wrong then you're in denial.

when its spamming the log like that, ya its fucking shit up

that's where majority of my fixes come in becuz its spamming the logs and stopping other mods from functioning, if it worked right it would do its thing and i'd never know it was there, never need to suggest removing it

[shrug] I haven't had an issue like that in longer than I remember. Plus it seems that most have no issues with USLEEP; I sure don't.  continue to recommend that people use it.

Anyway, given the symptoms, and given that they exist in a totally new game, with almost not mods installed, clearly the issue isn't a messed up saved, nor bad mods (at least not currently installed). So, all that remains is what I said: crap left over from who knows what.

The specific problems listed are all quests, and much of what makes up a quest is scripts. So at the very least, I'd go wipe anything in the scripts folder, then reinstall mods that are loose (as opposed to packed in BSA).

if usleep works better than uskp, somebody needs to inform the guide author advising users to get the individual patches:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/43043-skyrim-modding-guide/

my only complaints have ever been towards uskp, so vaguely ever see usleep its either not out there enough or doesn't have the same issues

that's where majority of my fixes come in becuz its spamming the logs and stopping other mods from functioning, if it worked right it would do its thing and i'd never know it was there, never need to suggest removing it

Show me a log where is spamming then? You have absolutely no proof and its ridiculous that every mod author I know endorses it and they know way more about it than you THINK you know. These people know what they're talking about, if something is wrong with the patches well it can happen but not to the extent you're suggesting and the amount of effort and time Arthmoor put into that mod I wont' let someone like you who doesn't know shit talk bad about it. 

You're hurting people with your misinformation educate yourself or come back with facts because as far as I am concerned I'll choose to believe the entirety of the community over some asshole who can't even admit when he is wrong.

EDIT FYI: also USLEEP is the unofficial patches merged and is the only mod being actively supported requires all DLC's.

Never seen any log where any unofficial patches or USLEEP has been the cause of any Log spamming, if we're talking about "helping people fix their games" I believe I've done enough of that to weigh in on this. Give proof to your arguments, show me exactly what you are saying it's "breaking" or fixing things that "don't need to be fixed". If you've helped around as much as you say you have, you should know exactly how broken a vanilla skyrim game is and from looking at the giant list of fixes in the Unofficial Skyrim patches, merged into what is now known as USLEEP. The game runs incomparably better and it has been recommended by every long term modder on here, the nexus and wherever else you want to look. Please do not spread false information, telling people to remove it because it's "broken", as that's just going to create more work for all the other people who help sort out problems and actually know what they're talking about.

Show me a log where is spamming then? You have absolutely no proof and its ridiculous that every mod author I know endorses it and they know way more about it than you THINK you know. These people know what they're talking about, if something is wrong with the patches well it can happen but not to the extent you're suggesting and the amount of effort and time Arthmoor put into that mod I wont' let someone like you who doesn't know shit talk bad about it. 

You're hurting people with your misinformation educate yourself or come back with facts because as far as I am concerned I'll choose to believe the entirety of the community over some asshole who can't even admit when he is wrong.

EDIT FYI: also USLEEP is the unofficial patches merged and is the only mod being actively supported requires all DLC's.

Never seen any log where any unofficial patches or USLEEP has been the cause of any Log spamming, if we're talking about "helping people fix their games" I believe I've done enough of that to weigh in on this. Give proof to your arguments, show me exactly what you are saying it's "breaking" or fixing things that "don't need to be fixed". If you've helped around as much as you say you have, you should know exactly how broken a vanilla skyrim game is and from looking at the giant list of fixes in the Unofficial Skyrim patches, merged into what is now known as USLEEP. The game runs incomparably better and it has been recommended by every long term modder on here, the nexus and wherever else you want to look. Please do not spread false information, telling people to remove it because it's "broken", as that's just going to create more work for all the other people who help sort out problems and actually know what they're talking about.

if usleep works better than uskp, somebody needs to inform the guide author advising users to get the individual patches:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/43043-skyrim-modding-guide/

my only complaints have ever been towards uskp, so vaguely ever see usleep its either not out there enough or doesn't have the same issues

as i said here my issues were with uskp, not usleep

now you're both looking ignorant to say that uskp isn't spamming the logs

i'm gonna follow ffabris and unfollow this

Archived