Somehow fucked up my Skyrim. New save won't even cut it.

I'm not sure what I did, I was cleaning up some old files, I added a mod, took off a mod I think.  I don't recall what I did to screw it up, but something is wrong with my game.

Even when I make a new game, It will crash without fail after about 5-10 minutes.  Mostly near npcs.  When I check papyrus it gives me this before it had crashed: 

.1.2 Retroactive Updates Complete
[03/12/2016 - 11:10:55PM] USKP 2.1.3 Retroactive Updates Complete
[03/12/2016 - 11:10:58PM] [CF][Main Quest] Removed creature spell from player
[03/12/2016 - 11:11:00PM] [DLC2PillarBuilderActorScript < (070177DB)>]OnPackageStart()

It is this DLC2 Pillar script. ALWAYS.   

I am so annoyed and confused.  I was close to screaming yesterday trying to figure out what I did wrong.  

Help please?

Did you use a mod manager? I would seriously recommend checking out Mod Organizer if not. Sounds like maybe you were doing manual data folder modding and may have deleted the wrong file. I've been where you are before, it's no fun. Worst case scenario, you may have to do a fresh install of Skyrim, and if so, I would say to give MO a shot. It keeps your data folder clean by running the mods outside of your actual Skyrim game folder through the use of some kind of crazy techo sorcery that is like true magic for modding. With just the click of a mouse you can install and uninstall mods, have different profiles, ext. Hopefully someone can help you, but if you are like me and have to go the hard way with a fresh install, try it out.

Did you use a mod manager? I would seriously recommend checking out Mod Organizer if not. Sounds like maybe you were doing manual data folder modding and may have deleted the wrong file. I've been where you are before, it's no fun. Worst case scenario, you may have to do a fresh install of Skyrim, and if so, I would say to give MO a shot. It keeps your data folder clean by running the mods outside of your actual Skyrim game folder through the use of some kind of crazy techo sorcery that is like true magic for modding. With just the click of a mouse you can install and uninstall mods, have different profiles, ext. Hopefully someone can help you, but if you are like me and have to go the hard way with a fresh install, try it out.

I use mod organizer, but I am wondering if I didn't install it all correctly and now it's finally coming to haunt me. :/

I use mod organizer, but I am wondering if I didn't install it all correctly and now it's finally coming to haunt me. :/

Did you do a clean install of Skyrim before you started MO? This way there wasn't any extra junk in the Data folder?

Also make sure your overwrite folder and any patches you needed are also updated. Some forget to do that.

If not clean MO then perhaps now do a clean install of the game, add your tools and such needed and try again. Of course keeping the MO folder safe. Perhaps even back it up as Steam decided to delete the folders and even tools for me once. :@

I believe either some old crud, a bad patch that you forgot or some files in the overwrite that need updating or replacement, or a corrupted core file from the game is causing this.

Did you do a clean install of Skyrim before you started MO? This way there wasn't any extra junk in the Data folder?

Also make sure your overwrite folder and any patches you needed are also updated. Some forget to do that.

If not clean MO then perhaps now do a clean install of the game, add your tools and such needed and try again. Of course keeping the MO folder safe. Perhaps even back it up as Steam decided to delete the folders and even tools for me once. :@

I believe either some old crud, a bad patch that you forgot or some files in the overwrite that need updating or replacement, or a corrupted core file from the game is causing this.

That makes sense, most likely it is some old crud, because I was some a major newb at the beginning I probably slipped up somewhere. 

Make sure you have your MO backed up.

Delete the skyrim (uninstall then go in and nuke the folder)

Now that you aren't a newb you can go back and install the game properly, then the tools you desire then finally install MO and bring the needed folders back over.

Make sure you have all your patches updated in MO along with a clean overwrite folder (that is make sure the files there are suppose to be there and fully updated)

Then start the game clean and you should be fine. If not it is either a game, a missing patch or requirement or something with your computer.

don't put yourself down, we all were there at one time or another.

Yeah, it's a super pain, but don't feel bad. I messed my game up more times than I'd like to admit...and if you  do have to go for a reinstall make sure to not pt the game in program files in case you didn't already know, put it in documents, or whatever, just not program files. Re-installs suck, but they give you a chance to learn from your mistakes and the game ends up better for it....usually....

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/908260-dragonborn-crashing-to-desktop/page-5

Found this.  Some people experienced the same problem apparently.  

I only experienced problems from this sort of thing (like with the unofficial patches) when the saves were used from before an update. I have used the DLCs extensively for almost since they came out. One key though I have went through the process of cleaning all the DLCs before using them. Perhaps this might be the reason I don't have the crashes others seem to have. (I did have some crashes before but thought it was from mods and such).

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/908260-dragonborn-crashing-to-desktop/page-5

I only experienced problems from this sort of thing (like with the unofficial patches) when the saves were used from before an update. I have used the DLCs extensively for almost since they came out. One key though I have went through the process of cleaning all the DLCs before using them. Perhaps this might be the reason I don't have the crashes others seem to have. (I did have some crashes before but thought it was from mods and such).

They have dirty edits, but I can't seem to clean them.  I take them in TES edit or whatever it's called, and then wyre just tells me once again that they have UDR and nothing I do changes the fact. 

You have to unselected all by right clicking when you open up tes5edit, then select the mod, or in this case dlc to clean. Then right click and select "apply filter for editing ". Let it do its thing for a bit, then next you want to "remove identical to master". A window will pop up asking if you are sure, wait a second and click yes. Next you select "undelete and disable references ", and then close out tes5edit, and you should have a clean plugin. Always be sure to backup anything before you do this, just to be on the safe side.

Make sure to wait a bit in between all these steps, the list of stuff it's doing will tell you when it's done at the bottom of the right hand screen.

That's the quick and dirty gist of it, but you may want to look on YouTube for the tutorial on it, and to make sure you install everything correctly.

You have to unselected all by right clicking when you open up tes5edit, then select the mod, or in this case dlc to clean. Then right click and select "apply filter for editing ". Let it do its thing for a bit, then next you want to "remove identical to master". A window will pop up asking if you are sure, wait a second and click yes. Next you select "undelete and disable references ", and then close out tes5edit, and you should have a clean plugin. Always be sure to backup anything before you do this, just to be on the safe side.

Make sure to wait a bit in between all these steps, the list of stuff it's doing will tell you when it's done at the bottom of the right hand screen.

That's the quick and dirty gist of it, but you may want to look on YouTube for the tutorial on it, and to make sure you install everything correctly.

"apply filter for editing"?  I was applying filter for cleaning, I guess that's a different option I didn't see.  I'll check.

"apply filter for editing"? I was applying filter for cleaning, I guess that's a different option I didn't see. I'll check.

No, you're right, I was just going off of memory, my bad, sorry.

I'm sorry to read about your problems.  It probably doesn't help, but I've been through this myself a couple of times.  And the others are right - after a time or two, you get the hang of un-screwing yourself :)

One note on the DLCs:  I always keep a backup copy of the cleaned DLC files after going through all that (the step-by-step directions are here ), because any time you ask Steam to verify cache and replace lost files, Steam will always replace your cleaned DLC with their original dirty ones. 

Oh, and speaking of backups, if you do happen to have to go the route of a reinstall, and you like you character, make sure to use like Race menu or something similar to make a preset for him/her, and make a backup of that file too. I lost one of my favorite characters because of screwing up an install, because of my foolishness for not doing this.

I'm sorry to read about your problems.  It probably doesn't help, but I've been through this myself a couple of times.  And the others are right - after a time or two, you get the hang of un-screwing yourself :)

One note on the DLCs:  I always keep a backup copy of the cleaned DLC files after going through all that (the step-by-step directions are here ), because any time you ask Steam to verify cache and replace lost files, Steam will always replace your cleaned DLC with their original dirty ones. 

Yes halleslade, good point I have backups of my cleaned DLC files as well so that I can verify my game cache occasionally as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Something to keep in mind when removing mods is if you create a gap in your load order, mods below that gap are going to have all their baseID's change mid-game.  This will effect formIDs, variables and scripts related to those mods.  This usually trashes your game to a degree from that point forward.  Some mods can recover from it, others don't.  I use empty ESP's and ESM to shore up my load order when I need to remove a mod.  I use Wrye Bash to create them, but you can probably do the same in the CK.  I've included one here you can copy/rename as needed.  I don't bother to name it the same as the mod I've removed.  It's simply enough that there is a place holder there to prevent your load order from collapsing up and altering everything below.

empty.esp

Something to keep in mind when removing mods is if you create a gap in your load order, mods below that gap are going to have all their baseID's change mid-game.  This will effect formIDs, variables and scripts related to those mods.  This usually trashes your game to a degree from that point forward.  Some mods can recover from it, others don't.  I use empty ESP's and ESM to shore up my load order when I need to remove a mod.  I use Wrye Bash to create them, but you can probably do the same in the CK.  I've included one here you can copy/rename as needed.  I don't bother to name it the same as the mod I've removed.  It's simply enough that there is a place holder there to prevent your load order from collapsing up and altering everything below.

attachicon.gifempty.esp

Interesting..

Archived