How to port oblivion files to skyrim using outfit studio

To note, regarding the one part about exporting a single OBJ for online conversion to Collada DAE then back to OBJ: some clothing meshes (i.e. Hepsy) have parts with separate dependent textures, which means they'll have to be exported into pieces as OBJs or some serious UV remapping and texture editing will have to be done after conversion.

• 2 months later...

Most oblivion mesh files have their own texture file for each and every single mesh piece (One of the reasons why porting oblivion files to skyrim can be tedious). You can join them together for easier molding in outfit studios but you must unjoin them afterwards by exporting the newly molded parts out of outfit studios in .OBJ format and back into a 3d tool and after separating the pieces load each one back into outfit studios and redo weight painting and texture paths.

• 7 months later...

You lost me at "Take the file and place it into your mesh rigger target file". I have no idea what that means, starting with "mesh rigger".  I do everything in NIFSkope and Outfit Studio, so this may seem like a noob question.  I've been modding TES games since Morrowind, but mostly in the patching and retexturing sense, so I have big gaps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this thread a bit but I'm giving a heads-up as someone has made a very good import-export tool for modern Blender aka 2.93. Still doesn't handle things like directly importing Oblivion meshes, textures, and certain shaders, though, but that may change in the near future.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/52319

Have to note that even up to now, Bodyslide has no support for dealing with Oblivion assets, and considering the current focus right now, unless someone takes up Gerra's code and modernize the tools to improve workflow, we'll have to make do with what currently exists for conversion work.

• 1 year later...

i cant seem to have my outfit studio give the bdismemberskininstance thing to any of the pieces of my armor i am converting from oblivion. exporting it as obj in nifskope, importing into outfit studio and then exporting as nif doesn't do the trick for me

edit: ignore this. as usual i ask for help and then find the solution 3 minutes later. doing this did the trick:

Bone nodes need to be added either with outfit studio by opening outfit studio selecting new project select your body type then select your armor/outfit nif. Next highlight all armor pieces then switch to the bone node tab and highlight all bone nodes. Next click on shape - copy selected weights then shape - transfer selected weights.

Edited by ungodlytomato