Is my rig wishlist good?

Duchess_Gummybuns

I'm planning on making a new gaming computer and revamping my old one. For my new rig, I want it to be able to run a max of 5 resource hog programs and tolerate 10 mediums resource hogs. I want to run modded Skyrim on ultra high at ~40 FPS when I'm being mean to it and +50 if I'm going easy on it and to play guildwars2 on ultra at +30 FPS exuding map bosses. Newer games I'm not worried about. I would be happy with 30 FPS on medium. I want to have both a SSD and HDD and I will not be overclocking.

S.T.E.P. Recommends for Skyrim:

Beyond STEP:

• Intel Quad-core processor or higher with 3GHz or higher
  • An Intel Core i5 Quad-core with at least 3GHz
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD video card with at least 4 GB of GDDR5 VRAM
  • at least 8GB of system RAM or higher

Guild Wars 2 Minimum Requirements

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better RAM: 2 GB OS: Windows XP Service Pack 2 or better Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI Radeon X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better) Sound Card: Yes Free Disk Space: 25 GB

Amazon list: https://amzn.com/w/26V9YBEVHUUXW

All in all, could you help me:

1. Decide between duplicates items.
  2. Double check that components are not limiting the capabilities of the others.
  3. Double check that components are compatible with the others.
  4. Give general suggestions.

If you want Skyrim with all the mods of death from hell of breakfast, graphically speaking, it would be in your best interest to wait 6 months before upgrading.

There will be very very big changes in both graphics and storage during those 6 months and I'm not talking about a 10% increase in synthetic benchmarks we've been getting for the last five years, but a literal almost order of one (100%) shift in speed and throughput, of which the products thereof will be roughly equal in price to what you would be getting now.

use pcpartpicker and get the 4770. I have a very similar build i run 250+ mods and have almost 0 problems.

S.T.E.P. says I shouldn't have to go over i5, will it really be worth the +$100 from the 4460??

If you want Skyrim with all the mods of death from hell of breakfast, graphically speaking, it would be in your best interest to wait 6 months before upgrading.

There will be very very big changes in both graphics and storage during those 6 months and I'm not talking about a 10% increase in synthetic benchmarks we've been getting for the last five years, but a literal almost order of one (100%) shift in speed and throughput, of which the products thereof will be roughly equal in price to what you would be getting now.

Which part are you suggesting I wait on? Is it something I can upgrade onto later? As for my modding, I run it pretty much as modded as I ever will on my 2 year old beast, and I stay pretty stable. I'm not sure on her specs. I just gave a guy $700 and got her new. If she can handle my modding proclivity, I'm not worried about getting top of the line.

The pny cs2211 is a newer ssd and is cheaper than the one you have in your list. I have one and a Samsung ssd and it's just as fast if not faster.
An i7 is nice, but I don't know if it's all that necessary for the extra cost. you could get an 15-4690k for a lot cheaper that will work just fine for 99% of games for the foreseeable future. I'd also go for a Z97 board instead of the one you chose. You can also get a nicer EVGA psu for a few dollars more than the one you've got listed.

Check Newegg and look for deals, combos, or rebates as well on some of these things. I just bought a second GTX 970 and a new PSU and saved 40 bucks in rebates.

The pny cs2211 is a newer ssd and is cheaper than the one you have in your list. I have one and a Samsung ssd and it's just as fast if not faster.

An i7 is nice, but I don't know if it's all that necessary for the extra cost. you could get an 15-4690k for a lot cheaper that will work just fine for 99% of games for the foreseeable future. I'd also go for a Z97 board instead of the one you chose. You can also get a nicer EVGA psu for a few dollars more than the one you've got listed.

Check Newegg and look for deals, combos, or rebates as well on some of these things. I just bought a second GTX 970 and a new PSU and saved 40 bucks in rebates.

That was the best group sourced response I have received. Thank you.

what the benefits of the z97? I read that the z87 is the best bang for the buck, and since the z87's were showing up pages before the z97, I agreed. Unless you can explain the differences??

As for the PSU. That component seems to be the most vague of all and I have very little idea of what I'll need out of it. Could you give me a link to your suggested one?

z97 and z87 are pretty similar, z97 is a newer model so it supports a wider range of cpus out of the box. They also supposedly did something to how ssds function, which made them more efficient on z97s, but I can't attest to that. If you plan on building this and eventually upgrading it down the road, it's less likely you'll have to upgrade your motherboard when you do. Since both motherboards are older now, the extra cost isn't much either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438028

This psu will pretty much handle anything you throw at it, including sli if you eventually choose to buy a second 970. It also almost always has a 20 dollar rebate deal on Newegg, so you can get it for about 70 bucks.

I just built a new pc this last year. I just went through pc part picker and made a quick list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cFFsyc

One thing you might want to do is any big purchase, like the GTX 970, chat with Amazon and see if they can give you a discount.
Before I bought my first 970 I chatted with Amazon customer service and told them I was looking to buy it, and wanted to know if they had any deal for me.

They told me if I bought it from them, they'd give me a 15% discount. That dropped it from 330 to 280.

It may not work for you, I have a pretty big order history on Amazon, and that may have been a factor, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Pcpartpicker is a good place too look it'll automatically check compatabilty (its a good idea to check yourself before purchasing anything though) and compare prices on the internet

If this is any help personally use an OC'd zotac geforce gtx 970 and an i5 4590 and can run 166 mods using 3k down sampling though that will vary on the mod you use and your set up, also ive found the bitfenix neos to be a good staurdy and cheap case though it can get a little cramped for cable management.

Also id advise that you check this channel  https://www.youtube.com/user/CareyHolzman/videos and more specifically this videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8hyGsRuGho as i found them helpfull, and remeber that whats best will vary from use to use and thus from person to person so the internet will often have vastly different views on what is a good setup that is dependent on what THEY want to use it for so a it is best to do some research on your own.

if you do need and help during the process tomshardware forums and the linustechtips youtube channel and website are usually good places to look.

HTH and good luck :)

Edit - ive found thats ist often easier and cheaper to install windows off of a bootable usb instead of finding a compatable optical drive (most of the cheap ones caused my pc to fail to boot for some reason may be different for you though) you can create a bootable usb (if memory serves me) by hitting windows + r typing cmd to open command promp

then type diskpart accept the uac

type list disk

select disk (instert the number of the usb you can tell by the size)

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active 

assign

format fs=ntfs quick

then exit cmd and the usb drive should be shown as a local disk

rip the files from the disc using a laptop or another computer with an optical drive and copy then to your usb, then plug it in and boot your pc to begin the install

Also id advise that you check this channel  https://www.youtube.com/user/CareyHolzman/videos and more specifically this videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8hyGsRuGho as i found them helpfull, and remeber that whats best will vary from use to use and thus from person to person so the internet will often have vastly different views on what is a good setup that is dependent on what THEY want to use it for so a it is best to do some research on your own.

if you do need and help during the process tomshardware forums and the linustechtips youtube channel and website are usually good places to look.

Edit - ive found thats ist often easier and cheaper to install windows off of a bootable usb instead of finding a compatable optical drive (most of the cheap ones caused my pc to fail to boot for some reason may be different for you though) you can create a bootable usb (if memory serves me) by hitting windows + r typing cmd to open command promp

type list disk

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active 

assign

format fs=ntfs quick

rip the files from the disc using a laptop or another computer with an optical drive and copy then to your usb, then plug it in and boot your pc to begin the install

That would be wonderful... But my only windows is now a win 10. I loike it for my laptop, but I think I want to stick with win 7 on my desktops. any suggestions there?

type list disk

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active 

assign

format fs=ntfs quick

That would be wonderful... But my only windows is now a win 10. I loike it for my laptop, but I think I want to stick with win 7 on my desktops. any suggestions there?

The above should work for windows 7 as well as windows 8.1 though i use windows 8.1 because you can pick up an OEM copy of it cheaply

Also a word of advice there are alot of fake copies of windows being sold if its cheaper than £50 its almost a given that its fake. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/os/#sort=a4&page=1 the ones listed on pc part picker will be genuine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

the z97 board has a few upgrades over the z87 primarily the m1.2 to m2 msata capability which allows you to plug an m2.0 msata drive directly to the motherboard providing upto 10gb of read/write over that of the 6gb 3.0 sata bus, and also shares pciE express lane

it also allows for high memory oc and better power management and PCIe bus speeds and lanes for the cpu to gpu thread counts

all from newegg.com

i5-4570 199.99

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Kingston 120GB Mini-SATA (mSATA) MLC SMS200S3/120G

G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11Q-16GSR

Seagate Constellation ES.2 ST33000651NS 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

NZXT Phantom 240 Mid Tower Chassis

ENERMAX ETL800EWT-M 800W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Semi-Modular Active PFC Power Supply

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 4GB TWIN TURBO OC EDITION

total.............1339

Archived