Jump to content

[Mod in planning] Brave Old World - New land, new story, new characters, more freedom and choices


Anbeegod

Recommended Posts

Posted

This mod is only a plan for the time being, which means it's not guaranteed that it will be made. I was involved and had invested much time in a tremendous mod project of Skyrim that was extraordinarily ambitious, and it was ended before anything solid was even produced. Too young, so naive. This would be a shame and disgrace in my life forever, and I'm not going to give myself and others so much hope of something as big as this before anything real is even made, lest I disappoint myself and my supporters yet again.

 

If I am not making a follower mod of Skyrim, and understand that mod-making isn't as impossible to me as I'd want to believe after my failure, I'd never get myself involved in modding anymore. For this, I'd like to thank WraithSlayer who enlightened my path of modding, because he was the person who taught me quest and basic script making.

 

 

In the current plan:

 

I will be in charge of the writing of the whole main quest arch and the main characters. I will also write some side quests.

 

This is going to be a mod that requires more than 1 person to make true. Scripters, world makers and modelers/texturers will be needed to make the mod great and solid, additional writers who'd like to provide new ideas and write side quests will also be welcomed.

 

The estimated earliest possible time of starting the whole mod's making will be December 2016, because I still need to complete my Onmund mod and DLC plugins of Skyrim, which would very likely be done in the 3rd quarter of this year.

 

 

Major characters:

Sole Survivor

Sole Survivor's husband/wife (Nate/Nora)

US President (secondary antagonist, unnamed in the lore according to Fallout Wiki; this mod will name him Robert Stanislaus Richardson)

Vault-Tec CEO (primary antagonist, name and background could not be found in Fallout Wiki; this mod will name her Allena Julian Masters)

General Chase (US army; Nate/Male Sole Survivor's commander and friend, possible antagonist and ally)

Albert Cole (canon Vault Dweller of Fallout 1)

 

Notable minor characters:

Robert House (might be a major character in the future, but most likely just have a cameo)

Chairman Cheng (NOT going to have major role in the current plan, most likely be a mentioned-only character)

Soviet leader (might have appearance in the mod, unnamed according to Fallout Wiki; this mod will name him Miroslav Vladislavovich Yegorov)

Sole Survivors' neighbors in Sanctuary Hill

Eddie Winter

Nick Valentine

 

 

Currently planned beginning:

 

You arrived at Vault 89 for a mysterious radio channel that plays strange voices, and discovered a pod in the end of the vault. You lied down peacefully in the pod's bed, but a tremendous amount of electrical energy passed through your body for unknown reason, and you had no way out of the pod. After a minute, the electrical energy overwhelmed you, and your body ceased struggles.

 

When you regain consciousness, you found yourself in a familiar location, filled with familiar faces. It was a court in pre-war Boston, and you were in a trial, as the lawyer or the defendant. You recognized the lawyer/defendant, and you would never have forgotten that face.

 

 

What are in plan:

 

Return to the pre-war Boston, of an alternate universe.

A great and epic adventure with the romanceable Nate/Nora, who wasn't your spouse yet.

Fight against Vault-Tec... or not.

Meet the Vault Dweller who defeated Master and his Super Mutant army - you will learn the truth of his appearance during the story.

Bring back the freedom of story, significance of character building and options/outcomes of previous Fallouts.

Voiced characters.

 

 

Alternate universe

It is an alternate universe for obvious reason. You will cause tremendous changes to the history during and in the end of the story, and the entire Fallout series would not make sense if these changes you cause are true and solid.  Contradictions with the true lore is almost inevitable. Although I will try whatever I can to eliminate the lore contradictions, alternate universe can eradicate this kind of problem as different universes can have different course of history.

 

Vault-Tec CEO

I made the Vault-Tec CEO female because more than half of the important characters in Fallout 4 are male. I'm not a feminazi, but I find this disparity, as it is in most video games, unnatural; so it's decided that female characters should have more significant positions.

 

Robert House

Robert House will have an appearance in this mod, and he is still the CEO of RobCo in this universe, as most things would remain as close to the true lore as possible. His appearance is mainly due to my fascination of his character and no solid reason. He could be in Massachusetts to share knowledge with CIT, search for useful knowledge that could help him develop the anti-nuke system for Vegas, or he might simply be going on holiday. His appearance, significant or not, is guaranteed if this mod is to be made.

 

General Chase

General Chase is the person that gives you orders in the Anchorage simulation of Fallout 3 DLC. It makes sense that he and Nate are friends outside their duties, as both served in the army and participated in the liberation of Anchorage.

 

Vault Dweller

Using the canon Vault Dweller will inevitably cause emotional difficulties to some, but I believe most will come to accept it in the end. I can't tell spoilers, of course.

 

Eddie Winter and Nick Valentine

Eddie Winter and the true Nick Valentine will appear as minor characters in side quests, but like Robert House, they might have significant roles in the future plan. You can side with either person, save or kill Nick's fiance. Yes, you can actually play as an evil asshole in the mod.

 

Your family

In the current plan, male Sole Survivor/Nate's parents were both retired soldiers, living somewhere in Massachusetts, and would be mentioned-only characters; whereas female Sole Survivor/Nora's mother was a professor in Harvard University, and her father, who was a police officer in Boston, had already deceased. An older brother of female Sole Survivor/Nora will appear.

 

Roger Maxson

Originally, I planned to give Roger Maxson a role, but soon I realized that would make little sense, so I threw this idea away.

 

Preston Garvey

You think you can get away from his annoyance by traveling to 200 years ago? No way...

 

 

Companions

 

Vanilla companions will not have roles in this mod. Even if you or the game somehow teleport them into the pre-war Boston, they would not react to the story. This is decided due to a lot of concerns, and nothing can change it.

 

However, you can get Nate/Nora as permanent companion, so long as you are in pre-war Boston. There will also be temporary companions, including Albert Cole and Nick Valentine in the mod, who won't substitute Nate/Nora.

 

 

Items

 

All items you possess in the post-war Commonwealth will be lost, except your Pip-boy for gameplay reasons (which will be explained in story perspective). New apparel, weapons and aid items can be acquired in the pre-war Boston. Female Sole Survivor will be equipped with formal clothing, and male Sole Survivor will be equipped with prisoner's clothing, upon your arrival at the old world.

 

 

Enemies

 

There will be little mutated enemies in pre-war Boston for obvious reasons, but there will still be feral ghouls and different sorts of nasty critters beneath the ground, due to Vault-Tec's experiments. Above the ground, your major enemies will be gangsters, thugs, police (conditional) and spies from China and UK. After certain point of the story, mercenaries hired by Vault-Tec will attempt to assassinate you.

 

 

Game world

 

The entire Boston and the northern now-Commonwealth, which includes Sanctuary Hill. I might expand or reduce the map size due to different concerns in the future. 

 

 

Romance

 

One of the main points of this mod is to allow the players to actually get to know their characters' spouse, and develop bonds with them. Nate/Nora will be the only romanceable character in the mod. Due to this, more efforts and time can be allocated to make the whole romance more romantic and touching. However, it is not mandatory to romance them, and you can still finish the story without them being your love. Moreover, it might be possible to simply kill them off if you wish to, after certain points of the story.

 

There might be sexy but not explicitly erotic scenes, which are made to increase immersion and make the atmosphere more romantic, but not for the players' fap use.

 

 

Transportation

 

It would be a shame if you couldn't drive in the pre-war Boston. Depends on what the Fallout 4 modding kit can provide us, you might be able to drive. I believe I have got the basic idea of how to make it come true, though I lack the ability to make it solid.

 

 

Voice acting

 

Minus Sole Survivor and their spouse, voice acting is not going to be a technical problem. If my assumption of how PA and robot voice work is right, I believe the problem of the two protagonists' voices can be solved. If not, then I will try and find the voice actors whose voices are closest to the original ones, and see if they are willing to help. Voiceless protagonists is the last method I'd want to use.

 

 

Soundtrack

 

It would be likely that radio songs will be played all over Boston's streets and private buildings, and the music of rural areas will remain the same as the post-war Commonwealth. Some important scenes will use remix versions of vanilla soundtracks. If a music composer volunteers, that'd be another case.

 

 

Settlements

 

If time, ability and tool allow, Concord or Lexington will have similar system with the Commonwealth's settlement system. Sole Survivor can become the mayor type of character in a town, develop industries, set tax rates, put certain people into prison. If the residents of your town are content with their living quality, businessmen might be attracted to invest into your town, and new residents might come, vice versa. It'd be a "modern" version of the town system, which you wouldn't have to think about survival and protection, and instead, you would strive for improvement and wealth.

 

 

Mod team

 

It will be open to join the mod's team once it's begun, when my Onmund mod is 80% finished and the content of this mod is more complete. For now, this mod is only a plan that is not yet solidified.

 

 

 

Open for suggestions and ideas. Any help from people living/working in Boston would be appreciated.

Posted

If this mod is to be made and Preston Garvey is to exist then I must ask you this:

 

Did you make a counter measure against Preston? Because I would definitely want to lock him in a hole and forget about it for all eternity.

Posted

If this mod is to be made and Preston Garvey is to exist then I must ask you this:

 

Did you make a counter measure against Preston? Because I would definitely want to lock him in a hole and forget about it for all eternity.

 

lol

 

Not how you would anticipate.

Posted

Updated some details, including music, settlement and background story etc.

 

I'd like to have your opinions.

Posted

good idea, you will need to make some new texture for your cannot only use cabot wall and sanctuary pre-war stuff.

 

 

Actually, I'm going to find people who know how to model, texture and script. I'm capable of writing stories, doing aesthetic stuff and simple CK handling, and it's gonna take a whole lot of time to learn doing advanced CK work and modeling.

Posted

Lawful, joinable factions (Rival: Villainous factions)

 

Boston Police - representative: Nick Valentine

US Army - representative: General Chase

 

 

Neutral, joinable factions (Rival: none)

 

Boston Bungle - representative: its owner

A brand of mercenary (unnamed) - representative: its owner

ComEx (Commonwealth Express, Fallout FedEx) - representative: its owner

 

 

Chaotic, joinable factions (Rival: Lawful factions)

 

Eddie Winter's gang - representative: Eddie Winter

UK agents - representative: Desmond Lockheart

PRC agents - representative: Spymaster Liang

 

 

Evil, joinable faction (Rival: Nate/Nora, and others depending on your decision)

 

Vault-Tec - representative: Ms Allena Julian Masters

 

 

 

Lawful, unjoinable faction

 

(can be made ally or enemy) US government - representative: President Robert Stanislaus Richardson

 

 
Neutral, unjoinable factions

 

(can be made ally under certain circumstances) CIT - representative: its headmaster

(can be made ally)Harvard University - representative: Nora's/your mother

(can be made ally) RobCo - representative: Robert House

(can be made ally or enemy) Mass Fusion - representative: its owner

 

 

Chaotic, unjoinable factions

 

(can only be enemy) Various small gangs

(can be made ally or enemy) Mutants

 

 

 

 

There may be a mini romance with Allena, regardless of your allegiance (so long as you aren't openly against Vault-Tec yet). A bit larger than the Magnolia mini romance.

 

You don't need to join a faction to complete the story, but you'll have to keep Nate/Nora alive to achieve that goal. Friendly factions are mostly for your backup and support.

 

This mod, if to be made, is practically very much a unique game itself, except it still relies on the Fallout 4 exe and engine. Alternate start plugin might be made to allow the game to begin in pre-war Boston, which will work like a single-end TTW.

 

Nate/Nora might be brought to the post-war Commonwealth, but the possibility and feasibility are still under investigation.

Posted

Once CK/GECK is out, I will see how well it can handle dialogues and quests. Had experience in dialogue making in Skyrim, but the F4 dialogue system still seem somewhat unsatisfactory. I hope it's only the writers' problem and not the engine's.

Guest Comrade DR. MAHUJ DIK
Posted

the mod sounds like a great idea,but the alternate universe seems too irrealistic even for fallout (im talking abut having the tech for it,  woldnt  doubt the institute making i but I dont think vault-tec could). It would make more sence to be the same tech used on operation anchorage simulations, the experiment would be to see how people would react if they had the chance to travel in time. maybe the player wouldnt be aware that its a simulation untill its end.

Posted

the mod sounds like a great idea,but the alternate universe seems too irrealistic even for fallout (im talking abut having the tech for it,  woldnt  doubt the institute making i but I dont think vault-tec could). It would make more sence to be the same tech used on operation anchorage simulations, the experiment would be to see how people would react if they had the chance to travel in time. maybe the player wouldnt be aware that its a simulation untill its end.

 

Reply:

The alternate universe will be well explained in the middle of the main quest. Vault-Tec was technologically superior to every faction and corporations before the war, but even them couldn't manage to create a time rift like this. So, technically they are involved, but they are not the reason of the Sole Survivor's time travel. The early goal of the main quests is to figure out why you're back to the old world, and in the second half of the story, guided by some individuals, you will take the fight to Vault-Tec or join their nefarious cause.

 

 

 

 

 

There are already 5 major endings in my head, namely:

White House victory

USSR victory

Chinese victory

Vault-Tec victory

Player individual victory

 

And UK victory, but I still haven't had enough idea for this ending yet.

 

 

As for the possible language problem (USSR leader is supposed to speak Russian and Chinese forces would speak Chinese, creating confusion in the subtitle and voice acting; also, it'd be ridiculous when a Russian plays the mod and their character has no idea of what the USSR leader was talking about), RobCo proudly present to you its newest wonder of technology - Translatron. Exclusive in this alternate universe.

 

A small portion of London would make an appearance in the very end of the main quest, which would be the setting of a grand but not final battle.

Posted

I love this.

 

 

....though my dream of my Female Sole Survivor romancing the Vault-Tech CEO into submission are gone...oh well.

 

All "romanceable" characters except Nate/Nora are bisexual, you can sleep with her regardless of your gender; though I must say, she would definitely be the dominant character.

Guest Comrade DR. MAHUJ DIK
Posted

I love the posibility of going the evil/asshole character route and joining vault-tec is awesome!  was planning to create a "alternate questiline" charcter and make a animation series here for LL.

Sadly without he geck the ammount of console commands Ive used fucked the save and now Ill have to make the old "pre war character" again. I was planning the new character to slowly loose its mind and morals between seeing all he loved reduced to ashes after leaving the vault and finnaly loosing his son the last thing that bound him to pre war morals and become a chaotic neutral very pissed fuck the world character 9mainly bacause I had made over 3 weeks of preparations for the other charactr, that was an scribe from FO3 that wanted revenge on maxon for what he did).

I could just use the "mankind is condemned, this isnt my world anyway" metality to look for pre war tech for when he returns. Also looks like th Vault-tec rep is a hot badass femme fatalle :heart:

Please make her a redhead!!!

Posted

Vault-Tec CEO is not Vault-Tec Rep! The latter is just a simple employee who knows nothing about Vault-Tec's ultimate plan, and he as a trivial character in the corporation isn't even known by the CEO.

 

You are the person who is going to be Vault-Tec's second-in-command, or its undoing. Maybe you can promote that poor fellow to a better position.

Guest Comrade DR. MAHUJ DIK
Posted

Vault-Tec CEO is not Vault-Tec Rep! The latter is just a simple employee who knows nothing about Vault-Tec's ultimate plan, and he as a trivial character in the corporation isn't even known by the CEO.

 

You are the person who is going to be Vault-Tec's second-in-command, or its undoing. Maybe you can promote that poor fellow to a better position.

 Sorry i mixed what i was going to say. :P

I was talking about the CEO. I ws also going to say that what happened to vault-tec rep was a dick move, hes my favorite settler.

Also Do you need help with the mod? i would love to join the team (and to think abouit some fucked up experiments for vaults).

Posted

 

Vault-Tec CEO is not Vault-Tec Rep! The latter is just a simple employee who knows nothing about Vault-Tec's ultimate plan, and he as a trivial character in the corporation isn't even known by the CEO.

 

You are the person who is going to be Vault-Tec's second-in-command, or its undoing. Maybe you can promote that poor fellow to a better position.

Sorry i mixed what i was going to say. :P

I was talking about the CEO. I ws also going to say that what happened to vault-tec rep was a dick move, hes my favorite settler.

Also Do you need help with the mod? i would love to join the team (and to think abouit some fucked up experiments for vaults).

 

What can you help on? Like world making, voice acting, modeling, side quest writing etc.

Guest Comrade DR. MAHUJ DIK
Posted

 

 

Vault-Tec CEO is not Vault-Tec Rep! The latter is just a simple employee who knows nothing about Vault-Tec's ultimate plan, and he as a trivial character in the corporation isn't even known by the CEO.

 

You are the person who is going to be Vault-Tec's second-in-command, or its undoing. Maybe you can promote that poor fellow to a better position.

Sorry i mixed what i was going to say. :P

I was talking about the CEO. I ws also going to say that what happened to vault-tec rep was a dick move, hes my favorite settler.

Also Do you need help with the mod? i would love to join the team (and to think abouit some fucked up experiments for vaults).

 

What can you help on? Like world making, voice acting, modeling, side quest writing etc.

 

 I studies computer science  on college for a time but dropped out because of how much i hated calculus and disasgreements between some works and researched I was doig and some teachers so I can code if nescessary (but I prefeer the creative part).

My old school had writing contests every year, Ive won  5 times (3 with poetry and 2 with a story), Ive studied digtal arts and work as a freelancer modeler  (mainly for archtecture and building companies moddeling their model homes) (my parents complain that I should get a "real job", but were on the middle of a economical crysisso noone wats to hire, even freelancer contracts are hard to get, I should have applied for a contract earlier... but the freedom!). My voice is shit for singing and ok for talking, but its the comical kind of voice....

 

I can do moddeling, scripting and writting. Im working aon a NPC body randomizer mod alread (because all unnamed  npcs looking the same (not the face), breaks my fucking immersion, also I want various body types at the same time on my game. I wont have time to code for now since Im working on the randomize mod (about 50% ready).

Posted

 

 

 

Vault-Tec CEO is not Vault-Tec Rep! The latter is just a simple employee who knows nothing about Vault-Tec's ultimate plan, and he as a trivial character in the corporation isn't even known by the CEO.

 

You are the person who is going to be Vault-Tec's second-in-command, or its undoing. Maybe you can promote that poor fellow to a better position.

Sorry i mixed what i was going to say. :P

I was talking about the CEO. I ws also going to say that what happened to vault-tec rep was a dick move, hes my favorite settler.

Also Do you need help with the mod? i would love to join the team (and to think abouit some fucked up experiments for vaults).

 

What can you help on? Like world making, voice acting, modeling, side quest writing etc.

 

 I studies computer science  on college for a time but dropped out because of how much i hated calculus and disasgreements between some works and researched I was doig and some teachers so I can code if nescessary (but I prefeer the creative part).

My old school had writing contests every year, Ive won  5 times (3 with poetry and 2 with a story), Ive studied digtal arts and work as a freelancer modeler  (mainly for archtecture and building companies moddeling their model homes) (my parents complain that I should get a "real job", but were on the middle of a economical crysisso noone wats to hire, even freelancer contracts are hard to get, I should have applied for a contract earlier... but the freedom!). My voice is shit for singing and ok for talking, but its the comical kind of voice....

 

I can do moddeling, scripting and writting. Im working aon a NPC body randomizer mod alread (because all unnamed  npcs looking the same (not the face), breaks my fucking immersion, also I want various body types at the same time on my game. I wont have time to code for now since Im working on the randomize mod (about 50% ready).

 

 

 

 

That's neat. Would you like to make some pre-war buildings (like Mass Fusion, houses) when you're free? They're bound to appear (and definitely won't be the "cancelled content" if you know the irony), and having some of them available before the mod starts would greatly shorten the dev period than start making them after the mod dev is initiated.

 

The story is still in its early stage so it's not safe to make anything solid about it yet. Perhaps I can discuss the main arc with you sometime, when it becomes more mature. When the main arc is done, we can move on to side quests.

 

I'd love it if you send your temp model work to me so I can provide you any support I can (mostly suggestions). If you don't mind, can you send me a voice sample saying something simple like "Hello, this is my voice, I'm recording this as a voice sample" as well?

Guest Comrade DR. MAHUJ DIK
Posted

That's neat. Would you like to make some pre-war buildings (like Mass Fusion, houses) when you're free? They're bound to appear (and definitely won't be the "cancelled content" if you know the irony), and having some of them available before the mod starts would greatly shorten the dev period than start making them after the mod dev is initiated.

 

The story is still in its early stage so it's not safe to make anything solid about it yet. Perhaps I can discuss the main arc with you sometime, when it becomes more mature. When the main arc is done, we can move on to side quests.

 

I'd love it if you send your temp model work to me so I can provide you any support I can (mostly suggestions). If you don't mind, can you send me a voice sample saying something simple like "Hello, this is my voice, I'm recording this as a voice sample" as well?

 

 

Ok, Ill do some work on the models, most thing should be easy enought to make. mos of the houses llok alike and are differenciatd by were are the holes and furniture placement, so if I work on general resources first it should be simple. the problem will be places that dont exist like the mass fusion tower, i have no ide of haow ut was supposed to look before the war. trailers,greenhouses and warehouses are more a case of pimping them to ook less shitty than making a new model. Also maybe we should start a private chat to discuss and avoid spoilers.

Posted

 

I love this.

 

 

....though my dream of my Female Sole Survivor romancing the Vault-Tech CEO into submission are gone...oh well.

 

All "romanceable" characters except Nate/Nora are bisexual, you can sleep with her regardless of your gender; though I must say, she would definitely be the dominant character.

 

Submission comes in many forms.

 

All because my Survivor likes the ball gag doesn't mean she's not manipulating the woman~

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I've drafted the plot of the main quests. Currently the entire questline (only counting individual victory) consists of about 15 quests, at least 7 of which are long quests, the rest might be expanded in the future.

 

To my surprise, working on this plan has given me some new ideas on the Onmund mod as well.

Guest Comrade DR. MAHUJ DIK
Posted

Im back, from doing stuff... need anything?

  • 2 months later...
Posted

I've done some basic work on this mod's planning, mostly on backstory, zones, quests and CG/cutscene drafting, plus some music and sound effects. I can work more efficiently if I focus on paper work.

 

Place making is a bitch but I've learnt things that can help me in creating some simple working dungeons. Basic scripting (proceeding the quests, moving objects, changing global values etc) isn't very difficult to me; of course, it's the best if true scripters and world shapers can help in these work.

 

There are plans in setting up a donation option when some solid progress has been made in this mod. When this mod is finished, the donated money will be shared by people who have participated in the making of this mod, while donation itself is purely optional and the primary intention of the participants should be for fun and passion. I don't really need money myself as I am pretty much living a nerd's life. If donation has been made yet the mod cannot be made in the end, all donated money will go to charity.

 

If my Skyrim Onmund mod can be done and is well-received, there's no way I won't finish this Fallout mod. It's going to be one of the most legendary story mods in modding history if made, I'm sure of it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...